Any Muslim Pre-Meds out there??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
DrVanNostran said:
Tifa--btw....so any tips on how to get into UCSF...I think Dua is all I have left.

UCSF tips? Duaa is what pretty much kept me sane with the whole application/ interview process. Don't downplay its power. :)

Members don't see this ad.

tifa said:
UCSF tips? Duaa is what pretty much kept me sane with the whole application/ interview process. Don't downplay its power. :)

Very true, the only reason I scored decent on the MCAT this time around was Dua...I actually opened my MCAT score at my mosque after six hours of praying :D

As for Hijab mentioned in the Quran, it is mentioned 7 times i think, Tifa hit the main ones though.

Yeah tifa hit most of the main points. But still, I believe that yeah whether or not you wear hijab or whether or not you eat zabiha meat does not make you a good or bad Muslim. Why should we worry about these little things (I mean we should but they shouldnt be the center of focus) whem most people dont even pray 5 times or day or hardly pray on time (I speak for myself as well) When that is the 2nd pillar of Islam! Of course in the Qur'an, it says this as well "Those who believe (in the Qur'an), and those who follow the Jewish (scriptures), and the Christians and the Sabians,- any who believe in God and the Last Day, and work righteousness, shall have their reward with their Lord; on them shall be no fear, nor shall they grieve." (2:62) but it also says that Allah (swt) will forgive anyone for anything except for not believing in him or associating anything with him or accepting him in any other form than his oneness.

And..I am Ahmed Zaman and am applying for the BS/MD programs so I guess that kind of makes me pre-med? Any it also kind of makes me a big nerd as well :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
As Muslims, it is our duty to promote the good and forbid the evil. Nevertheless, its not our decision to judge others or their lifestyles, after all, consider the first hadith found in sahih bukhari:

Narrated 'Umar bin Al-Khattab:
I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "The reward of deeds depends upon the intentions and every person will get the reward according to what he has intended. So whoever emigrated for worldly benefits or for a woman to marry, his emigration was for what he emigrated for."

All deeds are by intentions and we are not the judge of another's intentions, Allah, the Majestic, is the judge.

Hey everyone,

I was pretty much advised by my deans to keep any religious content out of my application. This was not made in any specific reference to Islam. Rather it was an all inclusive statement.

While Islam plays a very big role in my life (I too am an executive member of the MSA at my school), I find it best not to jeopardize my chances of being accepted at a school because of someone's preconceptions. Unfortunately, the reality of the situation is that many people do have negative views on Islam and the application process isn't the best time to be struggling with this.

Jason

tifa said:
Have you guys heard Shaykh Yasir Qadhi's lecture on Dua entitled "Dua: the Weapon of the Believer"? They are amazing and really inspiring. It covers like everything in dua from etiquettes, mindsets, dua acceptance, innovations, etc. It's out in book-format too for you guys who like to read. But definitely, listen to his lecture-set on it, you can either buy it from www.ilmquest.org (its like a 5-cd set or something) or download from www.audioislam.com (click on fiqh, then worship, then Dua the Weapon of the Believer)...just fyi

by the way, most of the references to hijab/veil in the Qur'an does not use the term "hijab" in arabic. for instance, in surat al-Nur (24:31), the word "yahfuthana" (gaurd) is used. it seems that the term "veil" gives negative connotations at times. i'm no scholar, but according to most islamic schools of thought, a woman should have her entire body covered with the exception of the face, hands (from wrist), and feet (from ankles). i believe the covering of the face in some places is more of a cultural phenomenon and not an "islamic" one per se.

as for personal beliefs, no one should be forced to wear the hijab or forced to remove it. a personal decision must be made by the individual; however, the rules should be known and not denied. women who wear the hijab always have this aura of respect about them. one chooses to remove her physical attributes from judgment when wearing the hijab. in this way, only her character and actions play a role in her social and professional life.

i think the same concept applies to zabiah (halal meat). i myself rarely eat zabiah when away at school. actually, a few friends and i made my school serve halal meat at our cafeteria a couple of times a week. although, i do not regularly eat at the cafeteria. again, it's a personal choice, but the laws are clear: zabiha is the best choice. it's not up to one to criticize/judge those who do not follow the laws, but i think it appropriate to criticize those who attack the tenets of Islam.

and as always, Allahu A3lam

on another note, within how many days should secondaries be returned???
thanx :)

okay, it seems like we're all saying the same thing- Do whatever makes you confortable for there is no compulsion in islam.

farikanok said:
on another note, within how many days should secondaries be returned???
thanx :)

Back to premed issues. I got most of my secs in july but didn't return any of them until after the august mcat into September. As soon of possible is of course the best, but if you have to put them off, that's totally cool as well. I don't think it will hurt you much by doing so. And ohhhhhh man are secondaries painful!!!

Farikanok,
I noticed to you go to Vandy, you know my boy Faizzan down there? He's a cool kid, mashallah...

tifa said:
Back to premed issues. I got most of my secs in july but didn't return any of them until after the august mcat into September. As soon of possible is of course the best, but if you have to put them off, that's totally cool as well. I don't think it will hurt you much by doing so. And ohhhhhh man are secondaries painful!!!
Wait, you think its better to put secondaries off til after the MCATs to concentrate on it? I already took the mcats back in april (did ok, alhamdulillah, 29) but am retakin em now in august, you think it might be better for me to submit the secondaries now and maybe some skools may get back to me sooner, like the ones that are rolling admissions?

BILAL said:
Wait, you think its better to put secondaries off til after the MCATs to concentrate on it? I already took the mcats back in april (did ok, alhamdulillah, 29) but am retakin em now in august, you think it might be better for me to submit the secondaries now and maybe some skools may get back to me sooner, like the ones that are rolling admissions?
Hey bro, if u mentioned in ur amcas or secondary that you will retake the MCAT in AUG it would behoove you to finish the secondary before your scores are out. However be aware that some schools don't want your sec unlesss they have your most recent mcat scores. Some schools will accept the secondary but wont look @ it til they get ur mcat scores. Hope this helps.

BILAL said:

the only reason i put it off was because i was studing for the mcat. as soon as the test was done, i was in secondary mode until they were completed.

Members don't see this ad :)
BILAL said:
Farikanok,
I noticed to you go to Vandy, you know my boy Faizzan down there? He's a cool kid, mashallah...

yup, he sure is, mA. Faiz is a good friend of mine :cool:

Yeah I was active in my MSA too. They actually published the cartoons about the Prophet (PBUH) in school newspaper. We gave the paper and the administration hell for like a month....Anyway I include MSA on my application but it was lower on the list because I was not an officer. It is unfortunate that Islam is portrayed so negatively but you know sometimes you have to roll with the punches. I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT leave it off your application. Being a Muslim is part of your identity. I am not saying go out there and make it the primary thing on your application unless MSA was the EC that you spent the most time on. I only really got active in the MSA my Senior year so it was included further down. If any one of you'll is an officer in the MSA put it on the application. I highly doubt you would be descriminated against. You are more likely to be descriminated against your apperance during the interview.

As for the Jesuit issue, I went to a Jesuit High School...and the admin was very cool. They even gave us access to a classroom so we could pray Jumma.

tifa said:
okay, it seems like we're all saying the same thing- Do whatever makes you confortable for there is no compulsion in islam.
For too long our clture has said, "if it feels good, do it."

contulusa said:
Yeah I was active in my MSA too. They actually published the cartoons about the Prophet (PBUH) in school newspaper. We gave the paper and the administration hell for like a month....Anyway I include MSA on my application but it was lower on the list because I was not an officer. It is unfortunate that Islam is portrayed so negatively but you know sometimes you have to roll with the punches. I ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT leave it off your application. Being a Muslim is part of your identity. I am not saying go out there and make it the primary thing on your application unless MSA was the EC that you spent the most time on. I only really got active in the MSA my Senior year so it was included further down. If any one of you'll is an officer in the MSA put it on the application. I highly doubt you would be descriminated against. You are more likely to be descriminated against your apperance during the interview.

As for the Jesuit issue, I went to a Jesuit High School...and the admin was very cool. They even gave us access to a classroom so we could pray Jumma.

I completely agree on the MSA issue since I am president of the chapter at my school. But I think I will be asked more about my role in the Jewish Student Alliance.

legobikes said:
For too long our clture has said, "if it feels good, do it."

wait, wait, that's not what I'm saying. All I said was that no one can force another person to do anything and what is done physically that the world can see ie. wearing hijab or eating halal meat, doesn't automatically make one a good Muslim. It’s great if you do, but what really matters is what is in your heart and only Allah knows what that is.

Hey add me to the growing number....Muslim @ UC Riverside...doing research at UCLA

Just wanted to make a comment regarding not putting the MSA activities on your AMCAS. I think, like any other organization you may have been a part of in undergrad, you should add it if you spent a significant amount of time participating in events with it. For example, if you raised awareness about Ramadan, or multi-faith dinners, or volunteer with MSA in the neighborhoods, then by no means should you sell yourself short and not put this on your application. However, if it is a "fluff activity" (i.e. 'participated' and was in a 'leadership position' but didn't do much) then DON'T put it on there-- just because keeping fluff to a minimum is probably best, because ADCOMs can see through that. (And this goes for any fluff activity, not just MSA related things).

I have a personal philosophy that you don't want to be at a school that does not accept you for who you are, and you would be surprised at how open minded a lot of institutions are. In parallel with that, I also believe that fate has a huge role to play in this process in general, so try to kepe that in mind.

Finally, I have a lot of friends who volunteered with Chabad, Hillel, Lutheran, and Baptist groups in the application cycle. They are proud of their individual activities since it makes you, as a medical school candidate, unique. It should not (and usually does not) IMHO affect medical school decisions on such a large scale.

all you people need to relax...hijab and zabiha meat are two topics on which i have had very long discussions with various ulamahs....my conclusion: Allah has mentioned all the things that are haram in the Quran, so don't make anything that's halal haram. Also, as far as the zabiha meat is concerned, Prophet Mohammad SAW said "anyone who stays away from anything in which doubt is present, he shall honor his religion"
--and yes, we have much bigger things to worry about.
so i think that we should help each other get into medical school, because that's all we can do right now!
-------sooo, i'm sending in my app this monday (had some family problems, so could not send it in earlier) here are my stats:
BCPM GPA: 3.50
overall GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 31
EC's: decent (have around 8 solid ones)

what are my chances and where should i apply? I have made a list, but it would be nice if i can get some help :)

whyadoctor said:
so i think that we should help each other get into medical school, because that's all we can do right now!
-------sooo, i'm sending in my app this monday (had some family problems, so could not send it in earlier) here are my stats:
BCPM GPA: 3.50
overall GPA: 3.63
MCAT: 31
EC's: decent (have around 8 solid ones)

what are my chances and where should i apply? I have made a list, but it would be nice if i can get some help :)

mashallah you seem to be in good standing, just make dua and submit your app, uve got pretty much the same stats i do except my mcat is 29 (im retakin in august tho inshallah), i'd definitely apply to all of your state skools and pick some other ones out of msar that seem appealling to you, its really up to you and what type of skool you wanna go to...i doubt this helped anyone...Salaam

BILAL said:
mashallah you seem to be in good standing, just make dua and submit your app, uve got pretty much the same stats i do except my mcat is 29 (im retakin in august tho inshallah), i'd definitely apply to all of your state skools and pick some other ones out of msar that seem appealling to you, its really up to you and what type of skool you wanna go to...i doubt this helped anyone...Salaam

Hey Bilal, just out of curiousity why are you retaking? 29 is a pretty good score.

DrVanNostran said:
Hey Bilal, just out of curiousity why are you retaking? 29 is a pretty good score.
yea, i think that 29 is a good score, but i think that if bilal thinks he can do better then maybe he should take it again

DrVanNostran said:
Yeah alhamdulillah 29 is a good score, but khair, inshallah, it can be higher, i got the summer to study, im jus workin part-time and started apps, spring semester for the april exam was kinda rough with 18.5 credit hours, volunteering, and having too much fun, if i buckle down, i think i definitely inshallah go up a few points, the whole deal is i dont wanna get waitlisted and have to wait til like june to find out where im going next year, inshallah make dua for all the brothers and sisters everything turns out alrite, :)

BILAL said:
Yeah alhamdulillah 29 is a good score, but khair, inshallah, it can be higher, i got the summer to study, im jus workin part-time and started apps, spring semester for the april exam was kinda rough with 18.5 credit hours, volunteering, and having too much fun, if i buckle down, i think i definitely inshallah go up a few points, the whole deal is i dont wanna get waitlisted and have to wait til like june to find out where im going next year, inshallah make dua for all the brothers and sisters everything turns out alrite, :)
That's a smart move. I settled with my 27 last year because I was afraid of "applying late." I know I could have brought my score up last August, but alas, I was deluded. This year, now I'm taking the test this August because I know that August MCAT is really not that late if you have all of your materials in before scores come out.

BILAL said:

InshAllah you will rock the beast. The only reason I ask is because so many people have differnet perspectives. Some people think its a crap score, some just know it wasn't their best effort, etc. But with 18.5 credits at Hopkins, I can see why you would want to take it again lol. Ill keep you in my dua :D

DrVanNostran said:
This is very true; so much debate rages on topics such as zabiha, hijab, etc but so much is ignored. :( I think its things like this that truly make me believe that being a good muslim truly equates to being a good person. Hijab or not, Zabiha or not, I believe that the final judgement will be based on your sincerity and kindness, not what you wore or what you ate.

(I just refrain from eating pork and pork-related products).
:thumbup:

Most people (it seems to me) on this thread are in favour of letting people decide for themselves and just live their lives. It's nice to see that people can be religious without being completely judgemental. :)

bumping it up...

Just curious by chance, I know a lot of us are going to be getting interviews this up coming cycle, insh'Allah. Anyways, instead of staying in a hotel or with some random medical student with whom you're going to feel uncomfortable around (for various reasons, i.e. drinking or not wanting for your alarm to wake him up for fajr or whatever other reasons), I was thinking has anyone ever just emailed the MSA at the school they're interviewing with and stayed with some random Muslims? I think it would be a good idea. First of all, you get to stay for free over some hotel room. Secondly, you get to meet some of the Muslim students in the school at which you're applying so you get a sense of the community and whether you really like the school or not. Thirdly, it would probably be a lotta fun too (probably more halal fun that staying with a non-Muslim). Anyone did this, this past cycle? Someone from Harvard did it with our MSA when he was interviewing at JHU-Med this year. Any thought?

BILAL said:
Just curious by chance, I know a lot of us are going to be getting interviews this up coming cycle, insh'Allah. Anyways, instead of staying in a hotel or with some random medical student with whom you're going to feel uncomfortable around (for various reasons, i.e. drinking or not wanting for your alarm to wake him up for fajr or whatever other reasons), I was thinking has anyone ever just emailed the MSA at the school they're interviewing with and stayed with some random Muslims? I think it would be a good idea. First of all, you get to stay for free over some hotel room. Secondly, you get to meet some of the Muslim students in the school at which you're applying so you get a sense of the community and whether you really like the school or not. Thirdly, it would probably be a lotta fun too (probably more halal fun that staying with a non-Muslim). Anyone did this, this past cycle? Someone from Harvard did it with our MSA when he was interviewing at JHU-Med this year. Any thought?

sounds like a great idea. i wish i came up with it last cycle.

Yeah, that does sound like a great idea. You guys should let me know if you're coming to interview at Yale! I'd love to host people, provided you're female =) And if you're a guy, just let me know and we'll have lunch and give you <whatever> I know about the Muslim community at Yale, which I hear is small but pretty active.

BILAL said:

it's a great idea, i might give it a try if i get an interview iA. i think we had a couple of students interview in nashville that did that. ask Faiz about it

ablumoon said:
Yeah, that does sound like a great idea. You guys should let me know if you're coming to interview at Yale! I'd love to host people, provided you're female =) And if you're a guy, just let me know and we'll have lunch and give you <whatever> I know about the Muslim community at Yale, which I hear is small but pretty active.

i second that if you interview at sf.

tifa said:
i second that if you interview at sf.

If any of you interview in Chicago, contact the UIC MSA president he will hook you up. Chicago has Muslim Med students galore mA.

DrVanNostran said:
If any of you interview in Chicago, contact the UIC MSA president he will hook you up. Chicago has Muslim Med students galore mA.
that street in chicago with all the stores and food is great.. I think it was devon though everyone calls it devaan in desi-tongue. esp the jewelry stores with the gold that looks so chintzy by ways of being REAL instead of that fake 18-carat crap americans are used to.

legobikes said:
that street in chicago with all the stores and food is great.. I think it was devon though everyone calls it devaan in desi-tongue. esp the jewelry stores with the gold that looks so chintzy by ways of being REAL instead of that fake 18-carat crap americans are used to.

Haha its so funny how everyone knows Chicago by Devon (Devaaaan) :D Whenever any family comes in, I have to drive them up there. Devon has become a rip off lately, my mom just wants to go to India every year now instead hehe.

DrVanNostran said:
Haha its so funny how everyone knows Chicago by Devon (Devaaaan) :D Whenever any family comes in, I have to drive them up there. Devon has become a rip off lately, my mom just wants to go to India every year now instead hehe.
Wow, I actually read that in my head as Devaan, until you pointed it out. That's just crazy. Is Chicago a nice city? I'm applying to some schools there next cycle, but I've never been there.

ablumoon said:
Ditto, if any brothers get an interview in the Baltimore area (Hopkins or UMaryland), you can come stay with three Muslim guys and an Asian dude in our apartment in Baltimore (it's ghetto, but it grows on you...)

DrVanNostran said:
Devon is soo crazy, I remember when our family visited Chi-town a few years back, Devon is straight up like the homeland. Same deal with Jackson Heights in NYC, but boy do these places have some delicious foods, Sabri Nihari is sooo good on Devon...the good thing with these cities that have lots of Muslims is you can find zabiha food anywhere, I heard in Michigan theres even a halal MickeyD's...

BILAL said:
Devon is soo crazy, I remember when our family visited Chi-town a few years back, Devon is straight up like the homeland. Same deal with Jackson Heights in NYC, but boy do these places have some delicious foods, Sabri Nihari is sooo good on Devon...the good thing with these cities that have lots of Muslims is you can find zabiha food anywhere, I heard in Michigan theres even a halal MickeyD's...

Michigan has nothing on Chicago :D

Halal Delis, KFC, Browns Chicken, Steak house, etc....I will admit Michigan does have better arab food, but besides that, nothing. :smuggrin:

Everyone goes to Sabri when they go to Devon, Ill admit that place is classic, but try out Usmania if you ever go :thumbup:

BTW Jackson Heights is wild.

chaeymaey said:
Wow, I actually read that in my head as Devaan, until you pointed it out. That's just crazy. Is Chicago a nice city? I'm applying to some schools there next cycle, but I've never been there.

Chicago is awesome, especially for our persian friends:) There are a loot of persian muslims in the Chicago area. As for the city, its awesome, there is always something to do or somewhere to go.

BTW, tons of persian med students at RFU and UIC.

Helllllllllo.. I am a white european descent convert..

One thing about me is that I have hardly felt anti-Islamic feelings because of the way I look, it is impossible to tell I am muslim.. But *LUCKY* for me I got a big taste of it in my first medical school interview.. It was for a program for people from rural towns(under 10,000, county under 100,000) that allowed freshmen to get a guaranteed seat into a medical school. I, naively, told my interviewer that I was muslim when he asked what religion I was.. The next thirty minutes turned into an inquisition.. He asked me personal religious questions, accused me of supporting female genital mutilation, and wouldn't let me finish any of my sentences..

BILAL said:
I was so disappointed with saabri nihari in khi. people had hyped it up and when I went it was just the worst stuff. I think they used camel meat and it was just drowning in oil instead of gravy. when it comes to nihari my mom makes the best. :D

the best nihari I had in pakistan this past year actually came from a CAN. way up in the northern areas I came across it while I was lusting for spicy food (the people up there eat bland stuff--nothing as dull as irani food but bland all the same). and so I got that can and asked the hotel guys to heat it up--it was better than both saabri and jaaved nihari.

what are you guys talking about...california has the best food...j/k cali sucks in halal and desi food...everything else is crazy though :)

styphon said:

One thing about me is that I have hardly felt anti-Islamic feelings because of the way I look, it is impossible to tell I am muslim.. But *LUCKY* for me I got a big taste of it in my first medical school interview.. It was for a program for people from rural towns(under 10,000, county under 100,000) that allowed freshmen to get a guaranteed seat into a medical school. I, naively, told my interviewer that I was muslim when he asked what religion I was.. The next thirty minutes turned into an inquisition.. He asked me personal religious questions, accused me of supporting female genital mutilation, and wouldn't let me finish any of my sentences..

This is exactly why I am hesistant to discuss religious content in my application. Unfortunately a lot of people have biases and the person interviewing you doesn't necessarily represent the rest of the school. Why put yourself at a disadvantage? I am confident in my beliefs. Not outwardly showing that doesn't change anything.

On a side note, for all of you on the fence about taking the MCAT a second time: I scored a 27 on my first one in august and refused to settle with it.
I studied hard the following semester and brought it up to a 34.

So, moral of the story, hard work does pay off.

Jason

styphon said:

That's crazy, the interviewer, grossly ignorant. It's unfortunate that it happened, but you've got to understand that the vast majority, the vast, vast majority (according to me, and my experience of course) are NOT like your interviewer. If you really want to go to that school though, I recommend calling the admissions department and complain about your interview. If it was as bad as you said, I know some schools will give you the option to be re-interviewed by someone else. Heck, if it was really that bad, I would sue! Well, maybe not sue, but accusing you of supporting female genital mutilation is huge. I hope you've already told someone at the school what happened. Subhanallah, there is a reason for everything that happens to all of us. Maybe it's not good for you to attend that school and that's why your interview was a mess. In any case you're muslim. That's just the way it is and I hope you don't feel like you have to hide who you are. Remember, Allah's on your side ;)

liquidshadow22 said:
I am confident in my beliefs. Not outwardly showing that doesn't change anything.

I suppose.... I guess it's a personal decision. I respect that and wish you the best.

Salammzzzzzzzzz....
Wow, looks like a bunch of us Muslamics up in here.... Anyone headin to Drexel IMS for this yr? Hit me up with a PM cuz I'm lookin for a room-mate (someone who knows how to make food in Ramadhan is prefered)...
Anyways good luck to all you and inshallah you'll do great on your apps...

Salamat

Tifa, jus wondering did you talk about Islam a lot in the secondary essays and what not? Especially for the ones that ask about how you add to diversity and stuff???

Status
Not open for further replies.