Any Muslim Pre-Meds out there??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
Once again please forgive me if i offended anyone in this thread,

Asking for forgiveness from anyone but Allah goes against the essence of tawhid. :laugh:

I had to say it.

Man I always feel so pumped and fresh after al Fajr

A rally to be held in DC, let me know what you guys think about it.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10182007/postopinion/opedcolumnists/saying_no_to_the_saudis.htm

SAYING 'NO' TO THE SAUDIS

By STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

October 18, 2007 -- Next week, a new coalition of U.S. Muslims will rally in Washington against terror.
NEXT Monday, Al-Baqee - a new coalition of American Muslims - will take an ini tiative that other citizens and leaders of our country should have begun immediately after 9/11: The group has called a protest against Saudi Arabia's support - by preaching, money and recruitment - of terrorism in Iraq.
The demonstration is set for 1 p.m. outside the Royal Saudi Embassy in Washington next Monday.
Al-Baqee takes its name from a historic cemetery in Mecca devastated by fundamentalist radicals - the forerunners of al Qaeda - 200 years ago and again in the 1920s, when the House of Saud took over the Muslim holy cities of Arabia.
At albaqee.org, the group describes itself as "a coalition of concerned American Muslims across America which promotes the preservation of the religious, architectural and cultural heritage of Islam by fostering and advancing a peaceful understanding of Islam and denouncing acts of terrorism, vandalism and radicalism in the name of Islam."
Al-Baqee declares forthrightly, "Saudi Arabia's government is aware of the groups who directly support terrorism by hosting and supporting those who issue calls . . . that encourage terrorism in Iraq and elsewhere.
"Muslims across America denounce the destruction of the Islamic holy shrines which represent our religious, architectural and cultural heritage. Similar calls for destruction are responsible for the bombings of the Al-Askariyya Shrine in Samarra, Iraq, twice last year, in which hundreds of civilians were killed.
"Saudi Arabia has unfortunately been turned into a school for nurturing terrorism. According to the latest report by the U.S. military, more than half of the foreign fighters entering Iraq are coming from Saudi Arabia (Los Angeles Times, July 18), not to mention that 15 of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Saudi nationals. Al-Baqee would like to promote the awareness of such Wahhabi efforts.
"We appeal to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to end all governmental support and ties to the Wahhabi structure in the Saudi kingdom and worldwide. As a close U.S. ally, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has an obligation to provide freedom of worship and honor human rights for all within its borders.
"Al-Baqee calls upon the Saudi government for the restoration and preservation of Islamic Holy Sites . . . and encourages the Saudi government to use its influence to restrain Wahhabi rhetoric that is fueling much destruction around the world."
Such an appeal from American Muslims, and a challenge to the Saudis, is welcome. The protest was organized after news in July that Saudi preachers and sharia judges called for terrorist attacks on Shia shrines at Karbala and Najaf in Iraq. Major destruction of these sites would touch off more and worse bloodshed in Iraq, in which Americans and Coalition soldiers would be killed along with innocent Iraqis.
American Muslims need to serve notice on the Saudis - and show their fellow Americans of other faiths that they are unafraid to affirm their allegiance to the worldwide struggle against extremist ideology in Islam. Their American neighbors and friends should join them in breaking the silence about Saudi complicity in terror in Iraq.
Stephen Schwartz is executive director of the Center for Islamic Pluralism (islamicplural- ism.org).

Post Eid Mubarak to everyone...

This was the scene at my house on Eid night.... LOL

http://youtube.com/watch?v=nHTdkx3Rw9U&mode=related&search=

Ive heard this song hundred's of times and just now realized what it was saying and that it was about Eid.

That's too funny!!! Sometimes I listen to bollywood songs not really understanding all the translations but just because I like the beat of the music and not really paying attention to words, and I think I did that with this song.

I think its a good song, but I hate Salman Khan. He's nasty and whether muslim or not, he is gross because he's so out of control with constant drinking, his need to take his shirt off even though he doesn't look good anymore in every movie, from what I've read in those magazines he sounds kinda abusive, etc.

e the
Ive heard this song hundred's of times and just now realized what it was saying and that it was about Eid.

That's too funny!!! Sometimes I listen to bollywood songs not really understanding all the translations but just because I like the beat of the music and not really paying attention to words, and I think I did that with this song.

I think its a good song, but I hate Salman Khan. He's nasty and whether muslim or not, he is gross because he's so out of control with constant drinking, his need to take his shirt off even though he doesn't look good anymore in every movie, from what I've read in those magazines he sounds kinda abusive, etc.

Well to tell you the truth I don't really know any thing about bollywood any more. We might get an Indian movie ones in a while if some one was coming here from Pakistan and I found 3 at blockbusters but other then that I have not seen any new movies in a while. I think last "NEW" movie I watched was
Devdas.

e the

Well to tell you the truth I don't really know any thing about bollywood any more. We might get an Indian movie ones in a while if some one was coming here from Pakistan and I found 3 at blockbusters but other then that I have not seen any new movies in a while. I think last "NEW" movie I watched was
Devdas.
The ONLY bollywood movie i have watched was devdas and the first half was good but the second half sucked.

Members don't see this ad :)
dancing is haram :D
God i love being a killjoy
:laugh:

Seriously though, this makes me think of another point... Halloween is coming up, an event which sometimes might cause controversy among Muslims.

Personally I don't find anything wrong with it; it's nothing more than a fun holiday where you dress up in costume, go around 'trick-or-treating' with friends, getting candy, etc. Granted, I haven't done it in years but I definitely enjoyed doing it as a kid and I think it's a fun thing to do.

Just this morning I got an email from my school muslim student association (MSA) (I'm on their mailing list, we get several emails/updates/newsletters every week) about how Muslims should not participate in or support Halloween, how it's grounded in polytheism and satan-worship and belief in ghastly spirits and how verses in the quran oppose it and whatnot.

And I think that's totally ridiculous. For the love of God, Halloween is nothing more than a fun holiday nowadays, not a symbol of satan-worship or things like that. I think these people need to get off their moral high-ground and stop forbidding every little thing because they don't have enough common sense to see things for what they really are.

I dressed up in costumes and went around getting candy as a kid; does that mean I sinned? Were my parents sinning for letting me do that? My mom puts up jack-o-lanterns and hands out candy to kids that come to the door at home; is that a sin too?

I think it's just ridiculous what some people will label as "haram". This is the reason I no longer associate myself with my school's MSA (I would go so far as to say I strongly dislike, just short of hating, them). Last year they got an anti-evolution speaker to come to the university's Islamic center; absolutely ridiculous to think that a bunch of students at a modern research university would do that. I thought they would be more educated than that.

I guess I'm really just venting about my school's MSA; they're annoying, their emails are tacky and very unprofessional, and they're all-around frustrating people to be around.

Seriously though, this makes me think of another point... Halloween is coming up, an event which sometimes might cause controversy among Muslims.

Personally I don't find anything wrong with it; it's nothing more than a fun holiday where you dress up in costume, go around 'trick-or-treating' with friends, getting candy, etc. Granted, I haven't done it in years but I definitely enjoyed doing it as a kid and I think it's a fun thing to do.

Just this morning I got an email from my school muslim student association (MSA) (I'm on their mailing list, we get several emails/updates/newsletters every week) about how Muslims should not participate in or support Halloween, how it's grounded in polytheism and satan-worship and belief in ghastly spirits and how verses in the quran oppose it and whatnot.

And I think that's totally ridiculous. For the love of God, Halloween is nothing more than a fun holiday nowadays, not a symbol of satan-worship or things like that. I think these people need to get off their moral high-ground and stop forbidding every little thing because they don't have enough common sense to see things for what they really are.

I dressed up in costumes and went around getting candy as a kid; does that mean I sinned? Were my parents sinning for letting me do that? My mom puts up jack-o-lanterns and hands out candy to kids that come to the door at home; is that a sin too?

I think it's just ridiculous what some people will label as "haram". This is the reason I no longer associate myself with my school's MSA (I would go so far as to say I strongly dislike, just short of hating, them). Last year they got an anti-evolution speaker to come to the university's Islamic center; absolutely ridiculous to think that a bunch of students at a modern research university would do that. I thought they would be more educated than that.

I guess I'm really just venting about my school's MSA; they're annoying, their emails are tacky and very unprofessional, and they're all-around frustrating people to be around.
Im the same as you man. I sometimes went when i was a kid and i find nothing wrong with it. I mean its just free candy:D Dancing on the other hand is haraam. Shia marjas(or at least sistani) says its haraam.

Oh and one more thing...I really hope university students dont go out tricker treating:D

Yeah we do some halloween parties for the kids where I volunteer at and the main thing is, its a chance to give kids to have some fun. No one even dresses in traditional witch, or devil kinda costumes that would be implying devil and satan. Most the kiddies dress in princess outfits or last year we had a range of costumes like the pumpkin costume, the lady bug costume, the thomas the train costume. I just went in an indian outfit and my boss took the idea I told her about: to dress in country style western style clothing. I did that one year when I was younger. She's a country gal herself so it worked well with her and she pulled it off naturally.

We just give kids and play games and give prizes and do face paintings and let kids paint pumpkins. Its more like a fall festival then the traditional meaning of what it meant in old polytheistic religions.

The ONLY bollywood movie i have watched was devdas and the first half was good but the second half sucked.

Yeah Devdas is different from other movies in the sense that it is based on a folktale from the now established muslim nation of Bangladesh.

Its really heartbreaking but totally not the typical bollywood movie in some senses because it is based on a much much older folktale.

BTW no one ever commented on Ahmad's article about Saudi. LOL. The thread was dead for a few days after that article and then all of a sudden more posting when we got to Desijigga's song. :laugh: :laugh:

I agree. I like Halloween. We usually have a party at one of my friends house, its fun. We always give out candy usually my mom just puts it outside the house so the kids can take it.

Yeah Devdas is different from other movies in the sense that it is based on a folktale from the now established muslim nation of Bangladesh.

Its really heartbreaking but totally not the typical bollywood movie in some senses because it is based on a much much older folktale.

You know more about the background then me. I just liked the movie because Sharuk Khan is in it.

Pakbabydoll,

It was one of my first muslim friends who told me the history behind the story. She's a Bangladeshi so I think she's read the story. I have always wanted to find an english version of it since that time but its so hard to find a good english translation of the book.

I liked Aishwariya Rai's pretty outfits in that movie. But yeah I like Shahrukh Khan too. But that's a topic for another thread. LOL

shes weird looking.

im a hater

A rally to be held in DC, let me know what you guys think about it.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10182007/postopinion/opedcolumnists/saying_no_to_the_saudis.htm

SAYING 'NO' TO THE SAUDIS

By STEPHEN SCHWARTZ

October 18, 2007 -- Next week, a new coalition of U.S. Muslims will rally in Washington against terror.
NEXT Monday, Al-Baqee - a new coalition of American Muslims - will take an ini tiative that other citizens and leaders of our country should have begun immediately after 9/11: The group has called a protest against Saudi Arabia's support - by preaching, money and recruitment - of terrorism in Iraq.
The demonstration is set for 1 p.m. outside the Royal Saudi Embassy in Washington next Monday.
Al-Baqee takes its name from a historic cemetery in Mecca devastated by fundamentalist radicals - the forerunners of al Qaeda - 200 years ago and again in the 1920s, when the House of Saud took over the Muslim holy cities of Arabia.
At albaqee.org, the group describes itself as "a coalition of concerned American Muslims across America which promotes the preservation of the religious, architectural and cultural heritage of Islam by fostering and advancing a peaceful understanding of Islam and denouncing acts of terrorism, vandalism and radicalism in the name of Islam."
Al-Baqee declares forthrightly, "Saudi Arabia's government is aware of the groups who directly support terrorism by hosting and supporting those who issue calls . . . that encourage terrorism in Iraq and elsewhere.
"Muslims across America denounce the destruction of the Islamic holy shrines which represent our religious, architectural and cultural heritage. Similar calls for destruction are responsible for the bombings of the Al-Askariyya Shrine in Samarra, Iraq, twice last year, in which hundreds of civilians were killed.
"Saudi Arabia has unfortunately been turned into a school for nurturing terrorism. According to the latest report by the U.S. military, more than half of the foreign fighters entering Iraq are coming from Saudi Arabia (Los Angeles Times, July 18), not to mention that 15 of the 19 hijackers on 9/11 were Saudi nationals. Al-Baqee would like to promote the awareness of such Wahhabi efforts.
"We appeal to the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia to end all governmental support and ties to the Wahhabi structure in the Saudi kingdom and worldwide. As a close U.S. ally, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia has an obligation to provide freedom of worship and honor human rights for all within its borders.
"Al-Baqee calls upon the Saudi government for the restoration and preservation of Islamic Holy Sites . . . and encourages the Saudi government to use its influence to restrain Wahhabi rhetoric that is fueling much destruction around the world."
Such an appeal from American Muslims, and a challenge to the Saudis, is welcome. The protest was organized after news in July that Saudi preachers and sharia judges called for terrorist attacks on Shia shrines at Karbala and Najaf in Iraq. Major destruction of these sites would touch off more and worse bloodshed in Iraq, in which Americans and Coalition soldiers would be killed along with innocent Iraqis.
American Muslims need to serve notice on the Saudis - and show their fellow Americans of other faiths that they are unafraid to affirm their allegiance to the worldwide struggle against extremist ideology in Islam. Their American neighbors and friends should join them in breaking the silence about Saudi complicity in terror in Iraq.
Stephen Schwartz is executive director of the Center for Islamic Pluralism (islamicplural- ism.org).
Uhh i dont think the protests will do much good.
Happy guju?

OH and can someone buy me this for my birthday? Thanks
Record price for 13th-century Quran

2 hours, 30 minutes ago

LONDON - A Quran written in 1203, believed to be the oldest known complete copy, has sold for more than $2.3 million at an auction.
The holy book, which had been estimated to sell for up to $715,000, fetched $2,327,300 at Tuesday's auction in London, Christie's said.
That was a record auction price for a Quran or any type of Islamic manuscript, the auctioneer Christie's said.
A nearly complete, 10th-century Kufic Quran, thought to be from North Africa or the near East, sold $1,870,000.
Both were offered for sale by the Hispanic Society of America, and were purchased by trade buyers in London, Christie's said.
The record-setting Quran was signed by Yahya bin Muhammad ibn 'Umar, dated 17 Ramadan 599 (June 1203).
It was acquired in Cairo in 1905 by Archer Milton Huntington, who founded the Hispanic Society in New York City in 1904. Huntington, the adopted son of railroad and ship-building magnate Collis P. Huntington, died in 1955.
The calligraphy in the manuscript was done in gold outlined in thin black lines, and the marginal notes are in silver outlined in red.
The kufic Quran bridges a gap between the earlier style, copied on parchment of horizontal format, and the later style of vertical composition, often on paper, Christie's catalog said.
The kufic script takes its name from Kufah in Iraq, an early center of Islamic scholarship, according to the British Library.
Because the script's vertical strokes were very short but the horizontal strokes elongated, it was written on papers in a landscape format.

BTW no one ever commented on Ahmad's article about Saudi. LOL. The thread was dead for a few days after that article and then all of a sudden more posting when we got to Desijigga's song. :laugh: :laugh:

Political activism vs Tacky Salman Khan lip-syncing and dancing to a Bollywood song.

EZ

OH and can someone buy me this for my birthday? Thanks
Record price for 13th-century Quran

2 hours, 30 minutes ago

LONDON - A Quran written in 1203, believed to be the oldest known complete copy, has sold for more than $2.3 million at an auction.
The holy book, which had been estimated to sell for up to $715,000, fetched $2,327,300 at Tuesday's auction in London, Christie's said.
That was a record auction price for a Quran or any type of Islamic manuscript, the auctioneer Christie's said.
A nearly complete, 10th-century Kufic Quran, thought to be from North Africa or the near East, sold $1,870,000.
Both were offered for sale by the Hispanic Society of America, and were purchased by trade buyers in London, Christie's said.
The record-setting Quran was signed by Yahya bin Muhammad ibn 'Umar, dated 17 Ramadan 599 (June 1203).
It was acquired in Cairo in 1905 by Archer Milton Huntington, who founded the Hispanic Society in New York City in 1904. Huntington, the adopted son of railroad and ship-building magnate Collis P. Huntington, died in 1955.
The calligraphy in the manuscript was done in gold outlined in thin black lines, and the marginal notes are in silver outlined in red.
The kufic Quran bridges a gap between the earlier style, copied on parchment of horizontal format, and the later style of vertical composition, often on paper, Christie's catalog said.
The kufic script takes its name from Kufah in Iraq, an early center of Islamic scholarship, according to the British Library.
Because the script's vertical strokes were very short but the horizontal strokes elongated, it was written on papers in a landscape format.

:laugh: :laugh: you'll be waiting a long time for that birthday gift. So does it say anything about who purchased it? Also I wonder why the govt wouldn't put something that old and that valuable in some sort of display or official thing. That's odd.

Hey what can I say, everyone just loves me... :thumbup:

I just liked the movie because Sharukh Khan is in it.

Shahrukh is dreamy :love:, by far my favorite (Hollywood or Bollywood) actor.

1. Shah Rukh
2. Denzel (American gangster looks sweeetttt!!!)
3. Leo Di (Gangs of New York, Departed)

Hey what can I say, everyone just loves me... :thumbup:

Shahrukh is dreamy :love:, by far my favorite (Hollywood or Bollywood) actor.

1. Shah Rukh
2. Denzel (American gangster looks sweeetttt!!!)
3. Leo Di (Gangs of New York, Departed)

OOOOH so your a girl. I gotta agree American Gangster does look sweet. No wonder ive thought you were gay.

Just wanted to introduce myself since I'm new to this forum. Salaam everyone. My name's Rabia and I'm a Bioengineering graduate from UC Berkeley. Currently applying to MD/PhD programs.

Just wanted to introduce myself since I'm new to this forum. Salaam everyone. My name's Rabia and I'm a Bioengineering graduate from UC Berkeley. Currently applying to MD/PhD programs.

Hi Rabia and welcome to the Muslim Pre-Meds forum.

OOOOH so your a girl. I gotta agree American Gangster does look sweet. No wonder ive thought you were gay.

Are you hitting on me??? :D

(well sorry I'm not available, I have a beautiful gf who I plan to marry, once I make enough money to support myself.. LOL)

Wsallamz Rabia. MD/PhD programs? wow thats good, IA allah grant you what you desire.

Guess what guys I have 3 interview invites so far, so please pray for me. Right now your du'a is what I need the most.

Guess what guys I have 3 interview invites so far, so please pray for me. Right now your du'a is what I need the most.

Wow, MashAllah thats great. InshAllah you'll get in one of those schools.

Are you hitting on me??? :D

(well sorry I'm not available, I have a beautiful gf who I plan to marry, once I make enough money to support myself.. LOL)

Wsallamz Rabia. MD/PhD programs? wow thats good, IA allah grant you what you desire.

Pfft do all sunnis have girlfriend :p
Low blow to the sunni bros:p
Anyhow man YOU are in love with shakrukh khan yet your NOT a girl.
Jesus....

Salam everyone, I am relatively new here too, and have been following the thread...some good topics are being dicussed...wish to see more productive ones than....

Pfft do all sunnis have girlfriend :p
Low blow to the sunni bros:p
Anyhow man YOU are in love with shakrukh khan yet your NOT a girl.
Jesus....

Hey every one should be in love with Sharuk Khan because I love him :love:

On another note, Does your family, friends, and relatives know that you are a
pre-Med? I have not really told anyone, well except here on SDN. I don't want to tell people, then IF I don't get in, I'll have to tell every one that I did not get in, then they'll act all sad and say well medicine is not for everyone. If some one asks me I just tell then I am a biology major or I just go like ehe I don't know or that I am getting my AA.

So, Does your family, friends, and relatives know that you are a
pre-Med? And what do they think about it?

pre-Med? I have not really told anyone, well except here on SDN. I don't want to tell people, then IF I don't get in, I'll have to tell every one that I did not get in, then they'll act all sad and say well medicine is not for everyone. If some one asks me I just tell then I am a biology major or I just go like ehe I don't know or that I am getting my AA.

Hahahaha that "Medicine is not for everyone" line is so over used here especially by mom when referring to others.

They just don't get it!!! People can understand that is their way of implying people are dumb and couldn't make it in even though some people choose not to go into medicine and other people give up too easily but would find a way if they really wanted it. Its soooo annoying.

I think classmates can easily identify a closet premed. I think its better to be honest. I can see the reason why people would make up backup plans, but I can't see the logic of a backup story (besides saving face). If you really want something medicine that bad, your only backup should be the Caribbean (a question of 'when' and not 'if').

I think classmates can easily identify a closet premed. I think its better to be honest. I can see the reason why people would make up backup plans, but I can't see the logic of a backup story (besides saving face). If you really want something medicine that bad, your only backup should be the Caribbean (a question of 'when' and not 'if').

There is no way my parents going to let me go to Caribbean, if I don't get in anywhere here in 2 times then I'll have to do pharmacy or something. I have not told my parents either. I told them I am going for pharmacy because thats where I work.

How did your midterm go? Have you taken it yet or Monday? I did well on my test. Not as well as I wanted to but I did ok. How is everything going?
Nah school is cancelled for a week cause of the fires. Instead i went to a genetics conference which is pretty interesting. Everything is fine alhamdiulilah

There is no way my parents going to let me go to Caribbean, if I don't get in anywhere here in 2 times then I'll have to do pharmacy or something. I have not told my parents either. I told them I am going for pharmacy because thats where I work.
You are you. No one has the right to stop you from going to the carribean but i have feeling youll get into a md school in the U.S

Nah school is cancelled for a week cause of the fires. Instead i went to a genetics conference which is pretty interesting. Everything is fine alhamdiulilah

They have not put out the fires yet?...
Oh and how was the conference? did I tell you how jealous I was.

You are you. No one has the right to stop you from going to the carribean but i have feeling youll get into a md school in the U.S

Yea, but they are my parents... What if they say if you go we'll never talk to you again? I can't just leave them. Anyway my dad has to have a stress test and he is so stressed about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.