Any Johns Hopkins DrPH applicants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lovelyemy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am very new to this forum and am a little unsure as to how it works but I wanted to see if I could get some insight on the DrPH program at Johns Hopkins. I am incredibly interested in this school because of their concentration offered (public health informatics) and I found the perfect faculty member I am interested in working with.

That being said, my overall stats are not the greatest but I wanted to see if I had a shot:
Undergrad: Biology/Pre-med 2.7 GPA
MPH (Graduating Spring '19): Community Health 3.85 GPA
GRE: Incredibly low and not competitive at all (no time right now to retake or study because of work and school)
Research/Experience: Sr. Research Assistant managing multiple projects for Cancer Institute, Graduate Student RA for Dana-Farber helping with an education curriculum for fellows, Graduate student RA for another physician managing their projects, and Collaborator for Harvard Medical School Bioethics.
Extras: Board member of Public Health Society (at my institution), member of the APHA, volunteered at a nutrition/vision lab at Tufts University Medical School.

I am also promised employment at another healthcare institution as a research analyst upon graduation of my MPH. My 3 letters of recommendations (2 physicians I work for currently and 1 is my MPH program director)

I just feel like my GRE scores and undergrad GPA are incredibly low but I have mentioned it all in my statement of purpose. If anyone got accepted or rejected I would love to hear your stats or story. This whole process of applying for doctoral programs is incredibly scary.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm applying to the DrPH program for 2019. I think you have to have 3 years of work experience.

A month or so late, but since the thread has been revived: you would not be competitive at JHSPH at this point. The DrPH in particular requires meaningful professional experience. Generally being an RA is not competitive experience for most departments for their DrPH.

To apply DrPH: you need a few years of meaningful employment in public health (generally as a practitioner, not an analyst or researcher). You will likely still need to improve your GRE.

To apply PhD: to overcome your GPAs you will likely need a publication record and in depth involvement in the analytic side of research (not just project coordination), or a few years experience as an analyst outside academia. You will need to retake your GRE.

If you are committed to applying this year, your best chance will be to apply PhD track and be in communication with the professor you would like to do research with. I would also still try to raise your GRE. I doubt applications are due until December, which is plenty of time to fit some studying in even with a busy school/work schedule.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to the DrPH program at Hopkins to start in summer 2019. Anyone else? I have an MPH as well as a PhD in Cell Biology and 3.5 years of relevant public health experience in both clinical trials development and in health education. I'm planning to apply to Health Policy and Management - Patient Safety, Quality, Outcomes track. Currently waiting on news of a GRE waiver.

I'm applying to the DrPH program at Hopkins to start in summer 2019. Anyone else? I have an MPH as well as a PhD in Cell Biology and 3.5 years of relevant public health experience in both clinical trials development and in health education. I'm planning to apply to Health Policy and Management - Patient Safety, Quality, Outcomes track. Currently waiting on news of a GRE waiver.

Hi! I am seriously considering applying to this program next year, but I recently found out my GRE expired. Was your GRE waiver granted? Please let me know!

Hi there, yes, my GRE waiver was granted. I suspect a large part of this had to do with the fact that I already have a PhD in a life science.