Any interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wahoowa said:
Just remember, 220 is just an average. Don't be discouraged--you will be happy with where you match.

A 220 on either test should get you an interview at the majority of programs. Many programs will take people with lower scores too, remember there were still plenty of unfilled spots, a few in great places last year. The lower your score the more programs you should apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, some PD's who read the personal statements will invite a candidate just to meet the writer (well, there's more to it than that, but you get the point!).

I'd just like to say what a great resource this is for us interviewees. Knowing who is sending out stuff when is pretty cool...

Best of luck to everyone!!!!!

The hurricane(s) blew a really big tree on what turns out to be the most structurally-sound mailbox building in America. Alas, the structure is (mostly) still standing, but covered in...tree. Hence, mail pick-up has been once a week at the local PO.

Thus, today:

UNC
UAB

Also, after confirming the UF interview date, UF sent a package of information about the interview day. A regrettable time to live in Gainesville, as visitors are being put up at the Sweetwater Branch Inn; I suspect maybe similiar setups elsewhere. If anyone has any questions about UF/Gainesville, please don't hesitate to PM me or post on the list!

Members don't see this ad :)
Gator5, how bad are things down there in Gainesville? (aside from your wonderful mailbox who possibly saved you good amount of confusion tracking down your status with those programs) I hope you guys didn't get hit very hard with the outskirts of Ivan.

UNC letter today 9/17.

Dorian Gray said:
Gator5, how bad are things down there in Gainesville? (aside from your wonderful mailbox who possibly saved you good amount of confusion tracking down your status with those programs) I hope you guys didn't get hit very hard with the outskirts of Ivan.

UNC letter today 9/17.

Things are returning to normal surprisingly quickly. The skies are finally clearing, trees removed from the side of the road...we're on the up-and-up!

Does anyone have any info on UVa? I'm excited about seeing that program, and am trying to figure out the interview travel itinerary; no word yet, but no transcript/Dean's letter either. Has anyone heard anything about the program?

sethco said:
UNC letter today 9/17.

Dorian, did UNC send notification by e-mail or snail mail.

sethco,
they didn't send it by either - just by US mail.

Gator5, glad to hear things are clearing up. All I know about UVA was from the forum search I did and the scutwork reviews. O/w I have no idea, but I would imagine that where that program is at currently, and where it is headed in terms of the scutwork.com issues, is something to find out at the interview. Regardless, I imagine that it is still a very good program, and speaking from personal experience, Charlottesville is a pretty awesome town.

I'm sure many of you are heading into a similiar quagmire; some, a few, programs have sent interview invitations, but it seems the majority are holding off for now. You're left scheduling the interviews you have. You wonder what other programs will offer you interviews, and you're wondering what their dates are.

You can already tell you might have to change some dates around.
Some programs, like UNC, kindly tell you, "Just give us a call back...if you have any questions....or need to rechedule....". You don't want to be THAT APPLICANT, the one who keeps rescheduling, but you are making your schedule out in the dark, with only a bit of information.

Anyone else getting perplexed? How common is it to change your interview times?

JHU/Sinai Hospital Preliminary IM program by email on 9/21.

Not exactly a Gas invite, but I do need the clinical base year for Maryland anesthesiology program. :cool:

- Joe

JHU/Sinai Hospital Preliminary IM program by email on 9/21.

Not exactly a Gas invite, but I do need the clinical base year for Maryland anesthesiology program.

- Joe

I just got my invite from them and York hospital for prelim med.

sethco said:
I just got my invite from them and York hospital for prelim med.

Seth,

Sinai is a GREAT hospital. I worked there for 3 years as a med tech before I started medical school. It is a pretty nice hospital and really is a top-flight institution. I don't know much about the York hospital, but I haven't thought much of York itself (the town) when I've passed through on the way to anywhere else.

- Joe

Members don't see this ad :)
Changing dates once and maybe twice if you have extenuating circumstances is reasonable. Doing it more than that is really annoying to the program and may make them think that they aren't a high priority for you. If you are going to a given geographic area and are still waiting to here from another program, it is reasonable to contact the other program you are interested in to let them know that you will be in town. If they are interested in you and you are coming from far away they will likely try to accomodate you. If a given date that you want for an interview is full, ask to be placed on a waiting list for that date. As the interview season progresses, applicants burn out and end up canceling interviews, opening up dates that were previously unavailable. Remember that residency coordinators and program directors received countless phone calls and emails everyday from applicants during the interview season and are generally overworked. If you contact them you may need to give them a couple of days to respond to inquiries. Always be courteous, even if your paperwork gets lost in the shuffle. One way to guarantee yourself not to match somewhere is to be rude to a secretary.

Hi all,
I am an intern in surgery (prelim) and I am thinking about anesthesia. If I start getting letters now and send things in in the next 2 weeks, is that too late? Seems like these interviews are going out pretty soon, unlike some other matches. I think I am a strong candidate who was just unfortunate to not match into ortho last year. I am still leaning to doing ortho, but just weighing options. thanks

UVa by email, 9/22.

By the by, are any of you signed up for the Gasnet Anesthesiology listserv? I'm just a lurker on the list, but have found it pretty darn educational. Lots of emails each day, however, so I'd suggest setting up a filter for it.

Fisrt interview offer... Michigan (email)

jason952 said:
Hi all,
I am an intern in surgery (prelim) and I am thinking about anesthesia. If I start getting letters now and send things in in the next 2 weeks, is that too late? Seems like these interviews are going out pretty soon, unlike some other matches. I think I am a strong candidate who was just unfortunate to not match into ortho last year. I am still leaning to doing ortho, but just weighing options. thanks

You're not too late, but you're definitely behind schedule a little bit seeing as interview season is going to be cranking into gear pretty soon. If you intend on applying and need to get LOR's, I'd say to get them ASAP. The sooner the better.

Good luck! :thumbup:

- Joe

Harbor hospital in Baltimore for transitional year today via email.
Offered 3 dates, which were pretty early (October?!?) and not at all convenient. Anyone with an opinion on them?

UMass, UConn, Wayne state 9/22

Harbor Hospital transitional in Baltimore (9/22) via email. Agree with Gator, only gave 3 dates. Two were before November.

Congrats undecided and Sdboy.

Iowa 9/14
Michigan 9/20

Hope things speed up soon so I know if I need to apply to more programs to sure up a happy match day.

Good luck everyone

Gator05 said:
Harbor hospital in Baltimore for transitional year today via email.
Offered 3 dates, which were pretty early (October?!?) and not at all convenient. Anyone with an opinion on them?

Gator, Harbor Hospital is where many USIMG's do their clinical rotations in medical school. There are two reviews on scutwork under transitional programs.

I think they have 100% board pass rate for medicine and from what I hear a very cush transional spot. I think it's worth a look!

For those of you already getting Anesthesia interviews do you have LOR's in? I was wondering because NONE of my LOR's have been scanned in yet, so perhaps that's why I haven't heard anything although the other parts of my application are finished and have been downloaded by programs. Or, it could be because I just submitted my application this past Sunday.

Thanks.

I don't have my LOR uploaded yet... so that's not necssarily the case. However, I got an email from Hopkins saying that they've received my application and that at least one LOR is required before offering an interview. Also don't have my dean's letter in, but then again I don't think anyone does and that's what some programs are waiting for as well. Ours doesn't go out till Nov 1st? Is that standard?

spacetygrss, it probably has more to do with you just turning it in on Sunday, although like undecided mentioned, some programs probably do require at least one letter.

undecided, I believe that the November 1st date is mandated by ? for all of the schools. At least that's the way they presented it to us at our school's ERAS meeting.

By the way, has anyone had Duke or University of Illinois College of Medicine download their application via the tracking function on ERAS yet? Or any receipt of receiving their app/interview yet?

undecided:

I also recieved the e-mail from John's Hopkins today. Seriously, it would be really nice if my letter writer's would turn the darned letters in. I mean seriously.

Dorian : UIC hasn't downloaded my application yet either.

spacetygrss said:
UIC hasn't downloaded my application yet either.

Yeppers, UIC is the ONLY program that I've applied to that hasn't at least downloaded my info. What's up with that?

Still convincing myself that no news is good news...until the invitations start "flooding" :laugh: in....

- Joe

It's good that we have this thread because you can get a pretty good idea which programs are setting up interviews and which ones are holding off. :thumbup:

Got my first interview invite today 9/23 - UAB by mail.

I was just wondering when everyone else getting interviews submitted their application to ERAS. I put mine in on 9/10, LORs went in on 9/13. UAB downloaded my app on 9/14 and sent out the letter on 9/20. Hope this helps, and good luck y'all.

Submitted app to ERAS on 9/8. 3/4 LOR downloaded. Recieved 5 interviews. Duke has not uploaded my app yet.
Also it is standard across the nation, Dean's letter out Nov. 1

So far...
Mayo (jacksonville)
Hopkins
Umass
U. Florida

Turned in my app on 9/2. 1/4 lors. Everything else in.

Emory 9/24 phone call from director
VCU 9/23 email

bailey-b said:
So far...
Mayo (jacksonville)
Hopkins
Umass
U. Florida

Turned in my app on 9/2. 1/4 lors. Everything else in.

Hey Bailey,
I'm in similar situation with app in on 9/1, 1/3 lors at the time, recently completed. I've also applied to Mayo (jack) and UF. Since my application was submitted earlier and have not received word from either schools, should I assume that I've been placed in "probably will interview" pile since I've also not received a rejection letter? By the way, what are your numbers?

achieman said:
Hey Bailey,
I'm in similar situation with app in on 9/1, 1/3 lors at the time, recently completed. I've also applied to Mayo (jack) and UF. Since my application was submitted earlier and have not received word from either schools, should I assume that I've been placed in "probably will interview" pile since I've also not received a rejection letter? By the way, what are your numbers?

I wouldn't assume that. You never know how they determine who will get interviews. Mabey they go through their apps alphabetically or the order which the PD's assistant decides to print them out and give them to the PD. It is all a guessing game. I wouldn't be discouraged. I would assume they don't send out all of their invites at once. It is still so early.
My numbers:
Comlex I > 90th percentile
USMLE Step 2 > 245 (didn't take Step I)

IV Doc said:
I finally got my first interview
John Hopkins

Submitted 9/15
3 LOR
Step 1 237

Sounds a lot like my story. JHU invited me today (my first offer). I thought it was odd that the e-mail went out on a Sunday.

Submitted 9/18
4 LOR (last one added 9/21)
USMLE Step 1 237

Recruiting coordinators are an underappreciated group of any anesthesia department. I see ours at the office frequently on Saturday and Sunday to get packages and work completed on time.

I havent heard of any interviews from NY or CA programs... Has anyone heard anything?

Baylor by email (9/27)

#5 Cleveland Clinic 9/27 and the best part.......they pay for your hotel!

-B