Any interview invitations/rejections yet? (Match 2012)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejections (8): Valley Medical Center, Tufts Medical Center, Lucille Packard Children's Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconness Medical Center (Boston), Shands (at university of florida), Yakima Valley Memorial Hospital, Scripps Mercy Hospital, and Massachusetts General Hospital
No Response (3): Boston Medical Center, Children's Hospital in Dallas, Tripler Army Medical Center

I'm very unhappy thus far.

Members don't see this ad.

I hope many of you will post your stats in the 2012 residency stats thread. this year looks rather bleak thus far, especially compared to the previous two years where most people seemed to interview at most of the places they applied.

Members don't see this ad :)
The stats, I can imagine, will not make much sense in comparison to places they interview at. Some programs picked some odd ball people (e.g.: me). I'm surprised that with my stats that I got some interviews--though not complaining.

As for rejection from Massachusetts General Hospital, I wouldnt take it to heart. They get hundred of applicant all over the country and only interview 10 to 14 applicants for 2 positions or so they say. That program is ALL about independence and such. There's no hand holding, from what a coordinator stated.

Hey!

Is anyone here interviewing at Sinai-Grace Hospital (DMC) for PGY1 position this year? Or know anyone who is? I have a conflict with 2 interviews falling on the same date, I need a miracle of someone switching their Sinai-Grace interview date with me. PLEASEEE help! :( Email me at [email protected] if you think you could help.

Thank you!

Good luck everyone this year!

Rejections (2): Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Mt. Sinai Medical Center
Interview (0):
Waiting: 7

My top choice is Children's Hospital of Orange County. They went through all hoops in waiting for my LORs to arrive. I sent them out in the 3rd week of December. One of them didn't arrive till mid January, and the other one got returned to the LOR Writer. Had to have the writer e-mail it in.

Two of my classmates just got their invites for CHOC

There is one site I still have not heard a peep from. Seeing as it is Feb 3rd should I just put it in the reject pile and figure they don't send rejection letters.

There is one site I still have not heard a peep from. Seeing as it is Feb 3rd should I just put it in the reject pile and figure they don't send rejection letters.

Depends on where. If they already sent out interview invites to people, probably. I figure McGuire VA rejected me and just didn't send a letter, since they're already interviewing. If they aren't interviewing anyone yet, there's still hope. There are some programs that no one has heard from yet (example: Jefferson).

Rumor has it Jefferson already interviewed a few...

Rumor has it Jefferson already interviewed a few...

Oh. I didn't apply there, but other people discussed it with me today, so I assumed that Jefferson didn't start yet.

Anyone know about LECOM's program? They seem to be taking forever.

Members don't see this ad :)
Several weeks ago, I received an e-mail saying that I would not be interviewed for a well-known residency program. Today, they asked if I could come interview. I am excited to interview, but am definitely confused about the change.

Rejections: 1
Interviews: 3
Pending: 0

They either had someone decline or they opened up more interview slots. Either way...the interview is the most important, so I wouldn't be worried about it. We've had top "paper" applicants that we ended up not ranking once we interviewed them.

I think it is safe to say that EVERY site has begun interviews (with the exception of the VAMCs). So I dont think it is necessary to jab at people by telling them their particular site has started interviews and they havent heard back yet.

I think it is safe to say that EVERY site has begun interviews (with the exception of the VAMCs). So I dont think it is necessary to jab at people by telling them their particular site has started interviews and they havent heard back yet.
Hey, for those you who interviewed or know of someone that interviewed where they had to do a patient case/clinical case--what disease states did it cover? I'm hearing HTN, CHF and DM being the most common ones, but should I expect possible ID as well?

I thought it was helpful to give indication of specific places that are interviewing so you kinda know where you stand if you haven't heard. I think its more frustrating not knowing.

For clinical cases i've heard the same, I have to work up a case with DM or pneumonia. A friend had a more complicated case with multiple problems, 1 patient with: DM, HTN crisis, CKD

Most people are asking if anyone has heard from these places, so it isn't a "jab" at them. Relax.

I too have received invitations for interviews
Rejection: 1
Interviews: 2
Pending: 0

applied:7
rejection:2
interviews:4
no response: Ohio State Med Center...

I should have applied more sites than just 7...
it's getting so competitive now...

applied:7
rejection:2
interviews:4
no response: Ohio State Med Center...

I should have applied more sites than just 7...
it's getting so competitive now...

OSUMC is extremely competitive even for top OSU students. It is a very advanced residency program, strong in cardiology, transplant, oncology and ID. But almost every single resident I knew there complained about how they were worked like dogs. :oops: Oh, and did you check out the resident's office? Packed tighter than a sardine can. LOL. Did you look at Grant (good emergency medicine), Riverside (good cardiology, critical care, also a bit more upscale patient population)? If you are willing to move, Cleveland and Cincinnati also have several highly regarded programs.

oh i should probably post

Applied: 2
Interviewed: 2

Yeah I know, I'm kind of insane :xf:

OSUMC is extremely competitive even for top OSU students. It is a very advanced residency program, strong in cardiology, transplant, oncology and ID. But almost every single resident I knew there complained about how they were worked like dogs. :oops: Oh, and did you check out the resident's office? Packed tighter than a sardine can. LOL. Did you look at Grant (good emergency medicine), Riverside (good cardiology, critical care, also a bit more upscale patient population)? If you are willing to move, Cleveland and Cincinnati also have several highly regarded programs.
I got interviews from places that are more competitive than OSUMC actually, which means a lot to me. I just thought they could at least have the courtesy to send out a rejection email or something.

It's official:

-Applied: 9
-Denied: 5
-Accepted for on-site interviews: 3
-Accepted for telephone interview: 1 , pending on-site interview

For sure, residency this year gets very competitive! Despite feeling like a somewhat loser, I'm kind of relieved because the ranking process will be much easier for me now. Always think of brighter side!

Rejections (5): Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, Children's Hospital of Orange County, Wilkes-Barre VA
Interview (0):
Waiting (4): Hunterdon Medical Center, UMass Memorial Medical Center, New York Methodist, Beth Israel Medical Center

Not looking good. Getting ready for the scramble now.

Rejections (5): Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, Children's Hospital of Orange County, Wilkes-Barre VA
Interview (0):
Waiting (4): Hunterdon Medical Center, UMass Memorial Medical Center, New York Methodist, Beth Israel Medical Center

Not looking good. Getting ready for the scramble now.

What do you know about Hunterdon Medical Center? Positive/Negatives of the program? Perceptions? Thanks

Has anyone heard from Northwestern Memorial Hospital?
Applied: 7
Interview: 6
Waiting: 1

Last edited:
So I have finally heard from all the programs that I've applied to (except 1, but they're already interviewing, so I assume I got rejected).

Applied: 9
Interviewing: 4
Weird that I applied to programs all over the place, but the ones where I got interviews are all in the same state as my school.

Heard back from all of my programs yesterday as well.

Applied: 12
Interviews: 6
Rejections: 6

Three programs did say they would keep me on an interview wait list in case spots opened up, but I'm pretty happy with my 6 interviews and the programs that I got interviews at anyway. I'm not sure I have the energy and/or $ to do any more than that.

Heard back from all of my programs yesterday as well.

Applied: 12
Interviews: 6
Rejections: 6

Three programs did say they would keep me on an interview wait list in case spots opened up, but I'm pretty happy with my 6 interviews and the programs that I got interviews at anyway. I'm not sure I have the energy and/or $ to do any more than that.

Yeah same here, heard back from all my programs yesterday

Applied: 11
Interviews: 8
Rejections: 3

I may turn an interview down because I'm already exhausted...

How are interviews going for everyone? I am half way through mine, and it feels great! :D I feel like I'm getting used to the whole interview process, which is nice.

How are interviews going for everyone? I am half way through mine, and it feels great! :D I feel like I'm getting used to the whole interview process, which is nice.

Yes you do since it's mostly the same kind of stuff they throw at you.

The trick is to schedule your least preferred site first, so you can use those for practice.

oh i should probably post

Applied: 2
Interviewed: 2

Yeah I know, I'm kind of insane :xf:

Same here. 2/2. 1 interview done so far, next one in a few weeks. Just wasn't interested in moving, so only applied locally.

Rejections (5): Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, Children's Hospital of Orange County, Wilkes-Barre VA, UMass Memorial Medical Center
Interview (0):
Waiting (4): Hunterdon Medical Center, New York Methodist, Beth Israel Medical Center

Applied to 10+ sites and they are all in California.
Interview invites: 2 both at teaching institutions
Waiting list/will call post match: 2/3
Rejection: 6+

Sorry I don't remember all the name of all the sites to which I applied, or waitlisted.
I wish you all the best.

Rejections (5): Long Island Jewish Medical Center, Mt. Sinai Medical Center, St. Lukes-Roosevelt, Children's Hospital of Orange County, Wilkes-Barre VA, UMass Memorial Medical Center
Interview (0):
Waiting (4): Hunterdon Medical Center, New York Methodist, Beth Israel Medical Center

wtf... CHOC? that's random...

I am getting the feeling that I should've applied to more than 9 places. I got the advice that "under 8 is good, 8-10 might be a lot, over 10 is overkill", but I think that's not good advice for anyone that's not a "pharmacy superstar". I got interviews, but some of these places are just underwhelming. So far there was only 1 place out of 3 where I interviewed that I really liked (a program that's in candidate status, but they seem to know what they're doing), and people aren't saying the greatest things about the place where I have left to interview. Also, even the programs I thought of as "backups" when I was applying turned out to be rather competitive this year.

I guess I still hold to the philosophy of "better match somewhere than not match at all", and all these places have at least some semblance of the things I want to be present in a residency, but I'd like to have more places that I feel are a great fit for me.

I have the same feeling as well, i should have applied to more programs as well. this year is so competitive and it's only gonna get worse and worse, even for pharmacy superstars...
I am getting the feeling that I should've applied to more than 9 places. I got the advice that "under 8 is good, 8-10 might be a lot, over 10 is overkill", but I think that's not good advice for anyone that's not a "pharmacy superstar". I got interviews, but some of these places are just underwhelming. So far there was only 1 place out of 3 where I interviewed that I really liked (a program that's in candidate status, but they seem to know what they're doing), and people aren't saying the greatest things about the place where I have left to interview. Also, even the programs I thought of as "backups" when I was applying turned out to be rather competitive this year.

I guess I still hold to the philosophy of "better match somewhere than not match at all", and all these places have at least some semblance of the things I want to be present in a residency, but I'd like to have more places that I feel are a great fit for me.

I applied to several health economics and outcomes research fellowships. I have recieved 1 official rejection, 2 interviews, and waiting to hear from others whose deadlines closed end of Jan to just recently.

Now that it is over...how competitive was it for you guys this year? We got double the applications from last year. I am sure we were a lot of people's "safety" program. CRAZY!

Now that it is over...how competitive was it for you guys this year? We got double the applications from last year. I am sure we were a lot of people's "safety" program. CRAZY!

the place I did PGY-2 had nearly 200 apps for PGY-1 this year.

Last year was about 125.

From an applicant standpoint, very competitive. Even one of my programs that I considered a "safety" early on in my application process said that they interviewed less than half of their applicants. The most competitive program where I got interviewed had 80 applicants for 4 spots (and I'm sure others I applied to but didn't get interviewed had much more than that). And let's not forget that program that rejected me because it made up a fake deadline because it got too many apps. I also know a few people who applied to multiple sites and did not get any interviews at all. Considering the competitiveness this year, I'm concerned that I may not match, and I imagine the scramble will be horrible this year.

Last edited: