Any Informatics Pharmacists out there??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Well yeah, I don't know about everyone else, but I don't remember all the clinical details of pharmacy. I know the whole picture, but I won't always know specific dosing, side effects, interactions etc.

I'd probably panic if I had to work inpatient suddenly. When I'm building an order set, or even comments, if I even have a DOUBT about something I have the time/effort to double check references. Meanwhile, inpatient pharmacists have to balance the clinical side, order entry, phone calls, techs requiring checks/assistance, etc.

Glad to hear this. I'm definitely in the same boat and would much rather build order sets and maintain databases than run inpatient pharmacy. I hope this is really what the daily tasks of an IT pharmacist consist of. I'm really liking the hospital admin side of things and working under the hospital IT department.

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings crew.
I've read over and over that this is an advanced specialty that requires clinical expertise.

Regardless, the residency door is closed for me (4 failed tries) and inpatient is inaccessible.
After 5 years of inpatient and mostly retail,I decided to catch the "informatics" wave by going back to school.

I signed onto a 1 year Masters degree in "Applied Biomedical Informatics" at UT Houston medical school.

In short, it's 1 year of intense work for a degree that won't get you hired in most settings. They teach you how to write academically, how to do systems analysis, how to read tons of articles written by MD's and RN's. They do NOT give you access to any EHR hardware or give you any implementation experience.

Informatics consulting firms advertise everywhere and pay well. But my inquiries for internships have repeatedly met the reply:they want "someone who can hit the ground running."

After making contacts at HIMSS and AMIA, I succeeded in getting corporate interviews with Siemens and Cerner. Both decided in the end that they liked me but their teams were sorely needing an "experienced pharmacist with several years of recent clinical experience using YYY system."

It appears this market is touchy and small for pharmacists.

Many of my classmates were RN's. They write hospitals and are invited onboard to learn and teach EPIC and Cerner. I can't even get an internship.

There seems to be a major power and funding difference between nursing depts and pharmacies.

In short, I need a lead into IT pharmacy after spending a year of time and money.
I advise you to stay away from the MS programs unless you already have the qualifications to land an inpatient position. If you are already inpatient, the easiest path is to learn 1) Epic 2) Cerner distant 3) Meditech very well and then get a graduate certificate in the system. They don't pay pharmacists to do the programming work. If you go work for one of the big vendor companies, expect lowball salaries ($65K were my offers). Experienced RPH consultants earn more than triple that amount, but they travel FT.

Thank you everyone for the input. Does anyone else have a few words on what an informatics pharmacist does on a daily basis?

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought you were in informatics inpatient already.
Why ask us?
Why don't you post or PM on what you do.
I can tell you what I think pharmacists that work at EMR implementations do.
I have been told that most big hospitals have an order set pharmacist designated to keeping the EMR updated with the latest inventory and P&T decisions. It's not usually a full-time job and it is usually given to a senior staff member, not a smart kid who knows computers and has an informatics degree.

Thank you everyone for the input. Does anyone else have a few words on what an informatics pharmacist does on a daily basis?

CDM update and maintenance, formulary and pricing update, orederset integrity, teaching, pharmacy automation maintenance and QA, workflow enhancement, QA reports,

There's no limit to what an IT Pharmacy does.

The best way still to get into IT pharmacy is through being the default pharmacist when the hospital decides they're going EHR CPOE. trying to get a job as a person off the street is still a.long shot.

Oh...forgot revenue cycle review & reconciliation.

I just graduated from pharmacy school and I didn't really know about the pharmacy informatics aspect of pharmacy before my 4th year (despite the fact I was really heavy into the dot com era before it went bust) when I was exploring what available rotations I could choose from and chose an informatics rotation.

Luckily, during that rotation, they were going live with a Emergency Department CPOE with Meditech and I got to be part of the process with order sets, ordering restrictions, guided dosing, etc. I also happened to land at a clinic about a month after they went live with EPIC and another hospital that was building a CPOE with McKesson.

I really think I should have done a residency in informatics, but at this point, I just want to get a staff position at a facility and learn the system like the back of my hand and move forward. Hopefully in a few years time, still have the motivation to go back to get a degree in informatics.

CDM update and maintenance, formulary and pricing update, orederset integrity, teaching, pharmacy automation maintenance and QA, workflow enhancement, QA reports,

There's no limit to what an IT Pharmacy does.

The best way still to get into IT pharmacy is through being the default pharmacist when the hospital decides they're going EHR CPOE. trying to get a job as a person off the street is still a.long shot.

This is what I pretty much do everyday, although I am in the middle of building CPOE so right now it is intensely busy.

I also do a lot of supply chain management, CDS, rule building and system tweaks. I also go to a ton of meetings both corporate and facility specific. Lot's to do with med safety, nurse education, P&T, downtime policy. I will be sitting on the orderset and rules corporate groups soon after we go live for future maintenance of the system,

This thread caught my eye, I am very interested in the tech side of medicine/pharmacy and health informatics, and can see myself specializing in this instead of just doing "traditional" pharmacy.

So from what I gather, it's not something I can just jump into as a fresh graduate, and would need a good deal of experience first. I am looking into getting another degree along with my PharmD/MBA and Duke Fuqua School of Business recently launched a Master of Management in Clinical Informatics, which is just down the road from my current school.

Is it recommendable to work first and apply for a program such as Duke's later in my career, to get the foundation clinical experience, or should I go into an Informatics program directly after pharm school and get the skills I need to prepare for the career?

This thread caught my eye, I am very interested in the tech side of medicine/pharmacy and health informatics, and can see myself specializing in this instead of just doing "traditional" pharmacy.

So from what I gather, it's not something I can just jump into as a fresh graduate, and would need a good deal of experience first. I am looking into getting another degree along with my PharmD/MBA and Duke Fuqua School of Business recently launched a Master of Management in Clinical Informatics, which is just down the road from my current school.

Is it recommendable to work first and apply for a program such as Duke's later in my career, to get the foundation clinical experience, or should I go into an Informatics program directly after pharm school and get the skills I need to prepare for the career?

You need the work experience, like a lot of us mentioned, you need to understand the whole medication workflow all the way from ordering until the nurse scans the med and charges the medication and documents it. A consulting firm recently asked me if I would like a position with them instead of the hospital I'm at and I had to decline NO because I still want to gain more insight in workflows, CDMs, building, etc before I jump in and do a bunch of other hospitals. Nobody wants to be "that guy" that messed up a charge, taught some wrong workflow, or built an unusable (and potentially dangerous) order set.

Why did you do the MBA if you like tech? If you want to be in programming then I would say a CS degree would be more useful, but the MBA is confusing. I would say a MBA might help in becoming a DOP and then becoming a EHR consultant, but thats a long long long path.

The best way still to get into IT pharmacy is through being the default pharmacist when the hospital decides they're going EHR CPOE.

I'm that guy! :)

I'd love to hear more from people in the field. Anything and everything...

I've been at my job for about a month now. We've completed two rounds of training at Epic and continue to work on certification. I've done nothing but sit at a desk, study, and attend classes. Sounds a little like pharm school, right? No tuition fees here though. Quite the opposite.

Thank you little 8lb, 6oz baby Jesus, with Your golden fleece diapers, don't even know a word yet... thank you for the HITECH Act. It's a great day and age for IT pharmacists.

Reactions: 1 user
I've been at my job for about a month now. We've completed two rounds of training at Epic and continue to work on certification. I've done nothing but sit at a desk, study, and attend classes. Sounds a little like pharm school, right? No tuition fees here though. Quite the opposite.

Thank you little 8lb, 6oz baby Jesus, with Your golden fleece diapers, don't even know a word yet... thank you for the HITECH Act. It's a great day and age for IT pharmacists.

You seem so chill...lol. Did you start building order sets and IV drug sets yet? When do you go live? What about your ADC conversion?

You seem so chill...lol. Did you start building order sets and IV drug sets yet? When do you go live? What about your ADC conversion?

I feel pretty darn chill. I can't believe I get paid to do this! haha. We're still reading the course material for Epic and taking exams for certification. I'm guessing you're hinting at a massive work load once we start building or go live? Maybe that will be the case, but coming from the pits of retail, I'm pretty sure this will be nothing?

How do you feel about your job? You're doing the Cerner thing right?

Members don't see this ad :)
I have under a yr of experience as a overnight hospital pharmacist. I see every order possible from ER, PEDS, ICU, internal med orders. I've used sunrise and epic b4. I was thinking about goin into informatics. How does one get their foot in to the door? I was thinking about doing one of those 2 yr certification programs offered by northwestern or University of illnois. Has anyone done of those programs before?

Overall seems like a very interesting field. Any advice on how to possibly gain an advantage as an incoming P1? I've always been interested in IT and could see myself doing pharmacy informatics but to be honest don't know too much about it. Any internships or other similar opportunities out there during pharm school?

overall seems like a very interesting field. Any advice on how to possibly gain an advantage as an incoming p1? I've always been interested in it and could see myself doing pharmacy informatics but to be honest don't know too much about it. Any internships or other similar opportunities out there during pharm school?

ummmmm

Can I just make my dad teach me to program? Sounds cheaper than more school... free labor lol

To all those interested in informatics, I would recommend you start with the entire section dedicated to this on the ASHP website. There's a ton of information to read and will give you a solid foundation about what informatics is and will be in the future. Dedicate about two weeks to reading all the links and link-of-links. Yes, it's that much material.

I'm totally with you!
I am a 4th year on rotations and wondering how to get myself into the Pharmacy Informatics field -- it's my goal after I graduate and I know little on how to go about doing so.
I would be so grateful to hear from anyone willing to speak to a pharmacy student interested in the field :)
Thanks much!

i am a new grad. haven't landed a hospital job yet but i am really interested in IT pharmacy. I am trying to get into a hospital staffing role and then learn the system before trying to move up. Anyways. I was wondering what language would be beneficial to learn if someone was going into IT pharmacy? Right now i am trying to learn microsoft SQL. Any thoughts? Is it useful?

i am a new grad. haven't landed a hospital job yet but i am really interested in IT pharmacy. I am trying to get into a hospital staffing role and then learn the system before trying to move up. Anyways. I was wondering what language would be beneficial to learn if someone was going into IT pharmacy? Right now i am trying to learn microsoft SQL. Any thoughts? Is it useful?

fluency in English is the language of choice.
IT pharmacist isn't a programmer. They use windows based healthcare software and incorporate the knowledge base to enhance electronic healthcare record and workflow. Its not the computer knowledge but the healthcare practice knowledge that's more important.

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to network with other Informatics Pharmacists who have experience with Epic and Willow. Or any IT Pharmacist for that matter. I've recently been hired by a pediatric hospital to start an Epic implementation and would love to build professional networks.

PM me.

Thanks!

I know an IT pharmacist, but he's a prick :laugh: I don't have his contact info either. Sorry :luck:

Hi everyone...this is my first post on here. I've lurked for a while as I had planned on going to Pharmacy school, but I haven't been able to make it financially possible yet.

Anyhow, I currently work in Pharmacy Informatics, but I got here through a very different direction. My background is in IT and I've worked in many different aspects of IT. Eventually I moved into the PBM world in benefit quality control. I found out about a ground-up EMR install project at a local health network (a couple of hospitals and lots of practices) and I applied. I was hired and placed on the Willow team due to my pharmacy background and interest, and my strong IT background. I'm also a licensed CPhT, have a B.A. in Management, and I am working on a B.S. in Health Informatics.

I was promoted to the team supervisor of our Willow project and I have three pharmacists and an RN on my team. We were on an extremely accelerated schedule so our team fell into natural specializations. One person worked on order sets, another on labels and reports, another on aspects of charging, etc.

We just went live a few weeks ago and our Willow piece was incredibly successful. While I'm not a pharmacist, I have my own role to play in Pharmacy Informatics. There are instances where I really wish I was a pharmacist because I don't have the clinical background, but in those cases I can call up a pharmacist on duty and have them review and approve my work. At the same time, I have pharmacists asking for help on how to do queries, or dive deep into diagnostic work in the system.

So...if anyone has questions about Pharmacy Informatics, I might be able to give a different point of view.

Today was my first day at my informatics rotation.

DEAR GOD PLEASE RUN!!!! FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The crap is confusing as hell! I have NO clue what is going on...I just see the informatics pharmacist typing in random ass numbers...NO clue what the hell any of it is!

It's worst than Excel and I have NO idea how to use excel!!!

Do yourself a favor and RUN RUN RUN!!!!!

I should have sign up for a rotation in mail order instead. I have NO idea what the hell I was thinking when I pick this rotation.

Folks just run! this crap is confusing as hell!!!! :eek:

So it sounds like some people love informatics and some people just want to run. I'm one of those that still wakes up everyday and can't wait to get back to work. I love every minute I get paid for it, and I love every minute I do it as a hobby.

Today was my first day at my informatics rotation.

DEAR GOD PLEASE RUN!!!! FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The crap is confusing as hell! I have NO clue what is going on...I just see the informatics pharmacist typing in random ass numbers...NO clue what the hell any of it is!

It's worst than Excel and I have NO idea how to use excel!!!

Do yourself a favor and RUN RUN RUN!!!!!

I should have sign up for a rotation in mail order instead. I have NO idea what the hell I was thinking when I pick this rotation.

Folks just run! this crap is confusing as hell!!!! :eek:

I think I'm going to select an informatics rotation. I'm only going to do it if I learn some of the stuff first though.

Depends on what my other options are...do I have better options? Is another guy worth more money after me? Can I find a good job in pharmacy? All those take into account. ;)

Why I lack faith and trust in humanity, especially women.

I think I'm going to select an informatics rotation. I'm only going to do it if I learn some of the stuff first though.

1) Mercer does not have any informatics rotations. If you want to do one you will have to fill out an out of site rotation form AND find your own informatics rotations (find an informatics pharmacist willing to take you as a student pretty much!)

2) Honestly, to all the folks out there...if you don't have at least 3+ SOLID years of experience in computer IT or if you are NOT a computer wiz or someone that really knows how to write programs etc...I WOULD NOT DO this rotation. You will be dead lost and you will want to KILL YOURSELF after the first day! TRUST ME

3) Unless you have years of IT experience and you are a pro in computers...I would NOT recommend this rotation to you! Sorry!

4) Folks with no computer IT experience that want to do this rotation will be screwed for sure. :eek:

So it sounds like some people love informatics and some people just want to run. I'm one of those that still wakes up everyday and can't wait to get back to work. I love every minute I get paid for it, and I love every minute I do it as a hobby.

You love it b/c you don't have to deal with interruptions and BEST OF ALL you NEVER have to deal with any patients!

If you have years of IT experience and you KNOW EVERYTHING about computer software and programing...then this will be a GREAT job...as you will NEVER have to deal with any patients!

But if you do NOT have IT experience...you will NOT do well on this rotation.

I am uk qualified pharmacist... i am keen to shift away from retail pharmacy and do medical IT in USA. any of you guys have any ideas?

1) Mercer does not have any informatics rotations. If you want to do one you will have to fill out an out of site rotation form AND find your own informatics rotations (find an informatics pharmacist willing to take you as a student pretty much!)

2) Honestly, to all the folks out there...if you don't have at least 3+ SOLID years of experience in computer IT or if you are NOT a computer wiz or someone that really knows how to write programs etc...I WOULD NOT DO this rotation. You will be dead lost and you will want to KILL YOURSELF after the first day! TRUST ME

3) Unless you have years of IT experience and you are a pro in computers...I would NOT recommend this rotation to you! Sorry!

4) Folks with no computer IT experience that want to do this rotation will be screwed for sure. :eek:
What kind of background in computers does your preceptor recommend prior to IT rotations?

What kind of background in computers does your preceptor recommend prior to IT rotations?

Good question. I will ask that tommorrow. :)

Good question. I will ask that tommorrow. :)

I would be interested in knowing as well, in particular programming language(s) and software which you would need to know in order to do well on an informatics rotation.

I would be interested in knowing as well, in particular programming language(s) and software which you would need to know in order to do well on an informatics rotation.

Informatics is NOT programming or IT. On my informatics rotation the biggest learning curve was figuring out how the different hospital computer systems interacted.

Read post 121 in this thread.

As the author of post 121, let me reiterate that IT pharmacy is not about becoming a computer programmer. SHC's posts are very inaccurate as her perception of what an IT pharmacist is marred by her lack of knowledge in healthcare system and workflow.

Does it take a programmer to use microsoft office product? No.
IT pharmacist is one of the end users of the product not a programmer.

Be it Cerner, Eclipsys, Epic, or Meditech, those are all windows based healthcare softwares. It pharmacist as a end user utilizes it to implement and provides ongoing support to make sure electronic health record is utilized by practitoners.

End user not a program writer.

Last edited:

Preceptor haven't came in yet...will ask shortly.

As the author of post 121, let me reiterate that IT pharmacy is not about becoming a computer programmer. SHC's posts are very inaccurate as her perception of what an IT pharmacist is marred by her lack of knowledge in healthcare system and workflow.

Does it take a programmer to use microsoft office product? No.
IT pharmacist is one of the end users of the product not a programmer.

Be it Cerner, Eclipsys, Epic, or Meditech, those are all windows based healthcare softwares. It pharmacist as a end user utilizes it to implement and provides ongoing support to make sure electronic health record is utilized by practitoners.

End user not a program writer.

I am NOT a computer person and I know how to use Microsoft word and Microsoft powerpoint...ANYONE can use those things of course...but I do NOT think just knowing that ALONE is enough to do well on this rotation.

Yes, an informatic pharmacist's job is to make sure the computer systems in the hospital is working well...that said you have to know A LOT about computers...EVERYONE can use Microsoft word. No crap..but that alone will NOT make you successful in this rotation.

My first day I watch the pharmacist type in some computer database numbers trying to change the pop ups coming up on the staff pharmacist's screen from 30 min infusions to 4 hr infusions. The pharmacist just typed in a bunch of random numbers into the database trying to change the wording of the pop up on the computer system...I had no idea what she was doing.

I can do some of the easier stuff like checking orders on fake patients to see if the system is working right...but some of the stuff that the informatics pharmacists have to do is NOT just basic microsoft word/powerpoint stuff.

The pharmacist told me his goal now is trying to change the way drugs are dispense in the pharmacy and we also had some barcode problems with a few drugs etc. All that require him to do some changes in the computer system that a normal student with microsoft word knowledge will NOT know how to do.

You might not need IT experience, but I'll just say that if you do NOT know computers like you know your own social security number you will NOT do well on this rotation.

If you think just knowing microsoft word and powerpoint makes you a PRO at becoming an informatics pharmacist than you are dreaming. At least that is how it is at this hosptial.

Maybe the job is super easy at other places? :confused:

I just ask the pharmacist and he said there are no specific number of years. It all depends on how many new programs are coming out, how many new changes must be made, and the understanding of how computer programs come together in the hospital and how many programs your hospital have. It can range from 1 year to 30+ years of experience to be a pro at this job. A good foundation of computer databases and how all the programs connect together and work together is a must to be successful at this rotation.

So NO just knowing microsoft word will NOT make you a pro. :laugh:

Preceptor haven't came in yet...will ask shortly.

I am NOT a computer person and I know how to use Microsoft word and Microsoft powerpoint...ANYONE can use those things of course...but I do NOT think just knowing that ALONE is enough to do well on this rotation.

Yes, an informatic pharmacist's job is to make sure the computer systems in the hospital is working well...that said you have to know A LOT about computers...EVERYONE can use Microsoft word. No crap..but that alone will NOT make you successful in this rotation.

My first day I watch the pharmacist type in some computer database numbers trying to change the pop ups coming up on the staff pharmacist's screen from 30 min infusions to 4 hr infusions. The pharmacist just typed in a bunch of random numbers into the database trying to change the wording of the pop up on the computer system...I had no idea what she was doing.

I can do some of the easier stuff like checking orders on fake patients to see if the system is working right...but some of the stuff that the informatics pharmacists have to do is NOT just basic microsoft word/powerpoint stuff.

The pharmacist told me his goal now is trying to change the way drugs are dispense in the pharmacy and we also had some barcode problems with a few drugs etc. All that require him to do some changes in the computer system that a normal student with microsoft word knowledge will NOT know how to do.

You might not need IT experience, but I'll just say that if you do NOT know computers like you know your own social security number you will NOT do well on this rotation.

If you think just knowing microsoft word and powerpoint makes you a PRO at becoming an informatics pharmacist than you are dreaming. At least that is how it is at this hosptial.

Maybe the job is super easy at other places? :confused:

Yeah, you know more about this than Z. Seems legit. :laugh:

The other pharmacist recommend me read "Oracle PL/SQL for dummies". He told me to google some basic ones to do online.

He told me the last student had 10+ years of IT experience and he was exceptional at this rotation, so IT experience WILL HELP you on this rotation. Having that experience will help versus NO experience...but it is not required. However I would imagine it's best if you have a clue.;)

The other pharmacist recommend me read "Oracle PL/SQL for dummies". He told me to google some basic ones to do online.

He told me the last student had 10+ years of IT experience and he was exceptional at this rotation, so IT experience WILL HELP you on this rotation. Having that experience will help versus NO experience...but it is not required. However I would imagine it's best if you have a clue.;)

I agree with what Z says about knowing the workflow to be able to do informatics pharmacy. The biggest hurdle to consulting and creating solutions for clients is understanding the parameters of their needs. That's where knowing the workflow is important as an informatics pharmacist. Knowing how to code makes creating solutions easier but most products now days are created so coding isn't necessary to produce solutions (albeit sometimes messy solutions). I've never messed with health systems IT but this seems to be the trend across the industry so I'm sure its the same.

/married a programmer, was a double major in EE/CS a lifetime ago, and have work experience in IT to rival most pharmacy student's work experience in pharmacy but whadda i know compared to SHC :laugh:

I agree with what Z says about knowing the workflow to be able to do informatics pharmacy. The biggest hurdle to consulting and creating solutions for clients is understanding the parameters of their needs. That's where knowing the workflow is important as an informatics pharmacist. Knowing how to code makes creating solutions easier but most products now days are created so coding isn't necessary to produce solutions (albeit sometimes messy solutions). I've never messed with health systems IT but this seems to be the trend across the industry so I'm sure its the same.

/married a programmer, was a double major in EE/CS a lifetime ago, and have work experience in IT to rival most pharmacy student's work experience in pharmacy but whadda i know compared to SHC :laugh:

NOTHING! And it's good that you recognize that! :laugh:

LOL...the question isn't WHO on here is the BEST informatic pharmacist. I openly ADMITTED that I made a HUGE mistake signing up for this rotation. I have no computer experience at all and should not have sign up for such a rotation. It was my mistake.

You have IT experience so of course YOU could do this rotation.

The question is...how many years of computer experience should a student have before signing up for such a rotation?

Obviously ZERO (like me) was a mistake...so I am not sure how to answer this question. I just know you NEED experience or don't sign up for this rotation.

That is my point. I made a mistake and I just want other people to know that before blindly signing up for stuff they are not qualified to do...

Now back to reading this Oracle for dummies BS... :thumbdown:

SHC1984 said:

You missed a very obvious point. The implied point isnt if you can use microsoft you can be an IT pharmacist. The point is youre an end user of the software not a programmer of microsoft office just like an IT pharmacist is an end user of a healthcare software not a program writer. You do know what an end user is i presume.

Yes, an informatic pharmacist's job is to make sure the computer systems in the hospital is working well...

Its not the job of an IT pharmacists job to make sure computer system is working well. That job belongs to IT support. Little different.

that said you have to know A LOT about computers...EVERYONE can use Microsoft word. No crap..but that alone will NOT make you successful in this rotation.

Knowing computer system wont make one a good IT pharmacist. If so....any young computer science major kid could do it......but thats not the case is it.

Theyre not programming. Theyre just setting up or changing the parameters in the software. An easy task.
I

Again....you missed the entire point.

My issue with your post is that youre providing an advice thats based on your skewed perception of what IT pharmacist is.

B
My issue with your post is that youre providing an advice thats based on your skewed perception of what IT pharmacist is.

I have two huge presentations coming up and tons of information to read about how computer programs work in this hospital. I don't think it can get any more torturing than this.

This is by far the hardest rotation I have ever had.

Folks that don't LOVE reading about boring computer stuff or being tortured I strongly advice against this rotation.

IT pharmacist is one of the 3 critical pharmacy supervisory roles; operations manager, clinical manager and IT pharmacist.

Now back to reading this Oracle for dummies BS... :thumbdown:

Save your time reading and spend more time thinking. IT pharmacy is more brain power than man power. Think about why/how/where a medication gets ordered in different parts of the hospital and follow the order through to discharge. Do that for every type of medication unit dose, IV, syringe, mixture, tpn, etc.. now think of how that gets done electronically. that should keep you busy for a few months.

I've been in IT for a good amount of time with experience in network design, programming, DBA, server administration, PC repair, sales, pre-sales support, etc. before I started in Pharmacy Informatics. Just about NONE of the direct skills (installing operating systems, replacing broken hardware, removing viruses, building databases, etc.) translated over to Pharmacy Informatics.

However, the algorithmic/logical thinking, workflow tracing, problem solving, project management, and other essential diagnostic skills I developed are essential to my day-to-day operations of our Epic Willow application.

When we started on this last year I had the exact same amount of Epic experience that the 3 pharmacists and 1 RN on my team...none. We all started on equal footing, but it was our ability to shape our backgrounds and talents into the world of Epic that made our Willow go-live successful. We all got the same training and went through the same certification process. That's where you learn how to start using the vendor's software.

Like rxblitzrx said, we spend time thinking from the big picture perspective. We look at how the organization functions from the pharmacy's perspective and then we configure the various applications to do the work we need. I definitely mean the whole organization too...and not just the pharmacy. The Willow Inpatient application has its hands in many, many parts of the hospital and even our ambulatory clinics.

A lot of times that means picking up the phone, calling the vendor, and saying "we do X, but your software does Y by default. How do I change it?"" Sometimes you get the answer you need, and other times you find out that you need to change how your organization functions to fit the capabilities of the software.

I'm still hoping to go to Pharmacy school. I just don't know if I'll be able to make it work financiall, but IT CPhT doesn't get paid nearly as well as IT RPh! :D But I still can build meds, order sets, alternatives, etc. I take the requests from the clinicians, translate them into what Epic needs, and then have them reviewed by the pharmacy.

:) So, the short version :) : three (two are pharmacists) out of the fve people on my Willow team had no IT experience, and are excellent Pharmacy Informatics analysts by applying their current skillset to a rapidly developing and very exciting field!

So SHC goes to Mercer...who does not give out IT Pharm. rotations. Thus meaning that she had to go out on her own to find one (ie had some rationale to doing this beyond needing a rotation and the good ones being gone).

My question is why did you choose this and what did you think you were going to be doing?