Any high school "premeds" out there?

I think your blog is a great idea.

I know when I started school, I found out that my premed advisors and regular advisors were useless. I was told to "take classes that make you feel good."

I did not know about this website at the time, but there are posts here that would have been helpful. It is much easier to start off on the right foot, than to playing catch up.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think your blog is a great idea.

I know when I started school, I found out that my premed advisors and regular advisors were useless. I was told to "take classes that make you feel good."

I did not know about this website at the time, but there are posts here that would have helpful. It is much easier to start off on the right foot, than to playing catch up.

Good luck

Please take an English class.

Ah yes, the grammar police every board's pride and joy.

Please keep in mind that this is simply a forum for discussion, and there is really no reason to excessively edit posts.

Besides missing the word "have" before helpful, care to explain what else is wrong with my post.

Members don't see this ad :)
Umm, the last time I checked a high school kid won't know what being a pre-med is like in college beyond the generic answers. What makes you the expert pre-college pre-med student?

if you even try to say what it takes to get into medical school while being a high school student you are getting ahead of yourself. You have no idea what it is like taking organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, A&P, immunology, literature, pathology, and so many other higher level science courses while balancing a job, volunteer work, and having a good social life. None of these courses while taken in high school are the same as if you took them in the college envrionment.

:rolleyes:

When weighing the value of someone's advice, it's always a good idea to consider the credentials of the source.

Last edited:
Man, it's too bad there is so much negativity in this thread.

Hoosiers15 - Can I offer you a piece of advice? There is absolutely nothing wrong with being interested in purusing a career in medicine. Just don't pigeon-hole yourself. You're still young and have a lot to experience - let it come naturally. The last thing you want is to have your mind set on medicine when you begin your first day of college. Have an open mind and you may find that something else is your passion, or you may find that medicine IS your passion. Just don't put all your eggs in one basket :)

I think some of you need to ease up on the OP. I think it's a good thing that he has so much passion about what he wants to do. Had I decided to go into medicine in high school, I would have been the same way. Once I make a decision, I'm very committed to it and eager to learn everything I can regarding it. This is not to say that he may not change his mind, but I think it's a very positive thing to study what the admissions process, pre-med, med school, and being a doctor are all about. You can never be too young to study something for which you have a passion. I'm sure the OP doesn't need or appreciate people telling him what to do and telling him he's too young to make decisions about what he wants to do with his future. I know I surely don't appreciate even well-meaning people trying to change my mind about what I've decided to do and the way I'm pursuing my career path.

OP, I by no means claim to be an expert, but if I can help you with anything, PM me. Best of wishes with your career.

Learning the premed way is like learning a new language. I thought I had a clue about what I needed to do to get into med school before I entered college. I soon realized I had no idea. :rolleyes:

Don't you hate when your parents say, "Oh, you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to." When I was a kid, my mom told me that I could be Santa Clause when I grew up. Go figure...

Learning the premed way is like learning a new language. I thought I had a clue about what I needed to do to get into med school before I entered college. I soon realized I had no idea. :rolleyes:

Don't you hate when your parents say, "Oh, you can do ANYTHING you put your mind to." When I was a kid, my mom told me that I could be Santa Clause when I grew up. Go figure...

Well, hey, you can give gifts. You can inspire that "holiday" feel so many of us look forward to and love. You can be Santa!

And yeah, I didn't have a damn clue about medical school "stuff" when I was a college freshman. Not a damn clue. Then again, I wasn't nearly as sure of it as I am now (which is to say, I second-guessed myself multiple times a day as compared to, oh, multiple times a week).

This is my first post here and I just wanted to put in my two cents. I'll be a college freshmen starting this fall. Through the past two years or so, I've been lurking this forum, talking to doctors, shadowing, volunteering, other typical prospective pre-med BS, etc. Judging from the experiences of college kids I know, I'll be starting with a MUCH better perspective on what I need to do during my undergraduate years than they did just because I have a lot of guidance. I can safely say that I won't be freaking out about messing up my GPA cause of partying, cramming community service, and hunting for research when it's crunch-time. Anything I do wrong will be 100% my fault and not due to ignorance. So lay off the OP and bull****ting... organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, A&P, immunology, literature, pathology - please.

You will never be able to get through to wisconsondoctors head. Besides he's actually right. You should come back to this site when you're atleast in your 2nd year of college. Search "highschool"

I completly disagree with you. I think most of the information that we recieve on becoming a competitive applicant is not gained during a freshman bio lecture. Why should they sit around for two years wondering if they are on the right path or not? People are recieving information through getting connected to websites such as this. Being able to plan out a good class schedule and learning how to get LORs or setting up research can all be learned here to prepare these high school students for a really sucessful start to thier undergrad work... I don't think it is fair for them to post on information that they don't have any real experience on such as how difficult college o-Chem is; but honestly I would also not wish that of those who have completed a couple years of college either. Don't post what you don't know period......

To the High school premeds good luch:luck: & work hard!

haha Mom's are great like that arn't they! :laugh: Bet Santa does not have to survive the MCATs though......

I think that your blog will be interesting. I'm PMing you for the link right now (well, in a few seconds)!

I'm also a high school "premed," but a few years younger than you. I honestly don't see why this thread caused so much controversy. You didn't claim to be anything you aren't...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that your blog will be interesting. I'm PMing you for the link right now (well, in a few seconds)!

I'm also a high school "premed," but a few years younger than you. I honestly don't see why this thread caused so much controversy. You didn't claim to be anything you aren't...

Ambiguous phrasing and cynical attitudes do not mix.

There's nothing wrong with a kid chronicling his premed journey on a blog.

So what exactly is up with that whole "SDN Aspire" thing?

Ambiguous phrasing and cynical attitudes do not mix.

There's nothing wrong with a kid chronicling his premed journey on a blog.

I'm sorry if my post seemed cynical or sarcastic or something. Honestly I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with it. In fact, I was asking for the link, so I don't really understand where what you're saying is coming from...

PS. Sorry if this post is a bit rude...

Last edited:
I think why people are so skeptic about "high school" premeds is because they know the truth. The truth? Everyone in my AP Bio class wanted to be doctors. The whole school thought we were all going to be doctors as well. I went to an underserved school and they had so much faith in us they got a known medical school to give us classes in the afternoon. Not advanced classes but classes to excite us about medicine and career opportunities available to us regardless of our upbringing. At graduation when they showed the AP BIO class photo during a slideshow underneath it was written Future Doctors of America. We were the first and last class (to date) that had 20-30 students accepted into Ivy League schools. The reality? Out of the 20 AP BIO students, myself included, 5 still want to pursue medicine, 3 want to do something in the science field and 6 have an idea of WHAT they want to do and the other 6 have no clue what they want. That's why people are skeptic about "hs premeds".

PS seriously don't focus too much on college. Have fun with it. If you focus only on med school you won't be that happy.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm sorry if my post seemed cynical or sarcastic or something. Honestly I agree with you. There's nothing wrong with it. In fact, I was asking for the link, so I don't really understand where what you're saying is coming from...

PS. Sorry if this post is a bit rude...

I'm not saying you were being cynical or sarcastic. I was answering your question. The cynical attitudes of college-aged SDN'ers are the cause of the "controversy."

You weren't being rude. You were just mistaken.

I'm not saying you were being cynical or sarcastic. I was answering your question. The cynical attitudes of college-aged SDN'ers are the cause of the "controversy."

You weren't being rude. You were just mistaken.

Ohhhh... That makes so much more sense! Sorry for the misunderstanding, I see that it wasn't directed at me know. I really shouldn't get so defensive!

OP, unfortunately you are too late. You have decided this career choice much too late in your life. Don't you know that to become a physician you must aspire to do so at the very latest by the time you get your first tooth?

Perhaps in the next life. Sorry friend.

OP, unfortunately you are too late. You have decided this career choice much too late in your life. Don't you know that to become a physician you must aspire to do so at the very latest by the time you get your first tooth?

Perhaps in the next life. Sorry friend.
:laugh::laugh:

This thread is a joke. Don't people know there are others out there that wanted to be a doctor since they were #1/#2'ing their diapers?

Hahaha :laugh:

I think it's natural to develop an interest in your future career at an early age. No one gives future actresses and actors crap about their aspirations and no one gives future business execs crap.

On the other hand, the general opposition to HS premeds isn't so unfounded. To narrowly focus one's ambitions so early without sampling what the world has to offer ignores the entire college experience. Youth is about exploring options not digging in to a single idea and a single goal. So sure, hope to become a doctor-but don't get too engrossed in your preparation to appreciate a few diverse experiences.

I have one piece of advice for high school pre-meds, and it's about AP classes/exams.

Take every single AP class your high school offers, and then take every single AP test EXCEPT those in the sciences (biology, chemistry, physics) Wait until college to take those courses. AP science classes are NOT the same as college material; I don't care what the College Board says.

Wisconsindoctor finally got banned?

Hahaha :laugh:

I think it's natural to develop an interest in your future career at an early age. No one gives future actresses and actors crap about their aspirations and no one gives future business execs crap.

On the other hand, the general opposition to HS premeds isn't so unfounded. To narrowly focus one's ambitions so early without sampling what the world has to offer ignores the entire college experience. Youth is about exploring options not digging in to a single idea and a single goal. So sure, hope to become a doctor-but don't get too engrossed in your preparation to appreciate a few diverse experiences.

Yeah, when I graduated from high school, my ambition was to become a high school English teacher, probably because my favorite teacher in high school taught literature. I was really into literature and writing. Then I took a chemistry class my freshman year of college, and now I will start my second year of med school in August. So keep your options open as you begin college and see where that leads you. You never know where you will end up.

Thread%20Failed.gif

deleted reply

Last edited:
Dontae, if you click on that stack of books icon that says Aspire below my name, it will take you to our new High School forum. You will find other high schoolers there, and other very helpful, experienced people.