Any good resources to learn ortho?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blueberry101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I was wondering if anyone had good Ortho resources that they would be willing to suggest/share. Anything that would get me to understand the basic concepts for Ortho, including patient assessment, diagnosing, and treatment planning. Not the best taught course at my dental school unfortunately......

Appreciate the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Contemporary Orthodontics by Proffit is a great intro book and is probably the #1 book that ortho residencies have their residents read the summer before entering. It's detailed enough to get to know the concepts of ortho pretty well, but not so detailed as to bore you (lookin' at you Graber). Textbook of Orthodontics by Bishara is another good book of general concepts.

Otherwise I'm not too sure if or where there are any powerpoints or online courses for the basics of ortho, if you're looking only at supplementing your class information.

Edit- Sorry, I didn't notice - are you actually out of school yet? If so there are a variety of CE courses out there.

Last edited:
Why read textbooks when you can experience it at home with smile direct club?

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard good things about Progressive Orthodontic Seminars. I signed up for a free all-day CE in April (I'm sure it's mainly to get participants to sign up for the entire continuum).