Any good residency programs in German speaking countries?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docjulian

IMG someday
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm a med student from Germany and will graduate in about 1,5 years.
After spending two months rotating and working with plastic surgeons at UT Southwestern in Dallas, I have realized that plastic/reconstructive surgery is the only medical field that I can truly dedicate myself to.

I am currently in Orange County working with another plastic surgeon for about 10 weeks and I am planning on spending another 4 months here during my last year. I will also be the co-author in probably 2 publications, one is already accepted by ASJ I think.

However, I am looking for a good plastic surgery residency program in Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Taking all those USMLE steps with uncertain outcome is too much of a risk when I could probably get into most of the top programmes in German speaking countries with my CV.

I assume that there must be some great programmes that also own a certain international reputation. Money or living near a lake is not that important to me, good education is. I am highly interested in breast and pediatric reconstructive surgery.
Of course I know that hand surgery is also important but I don't want to end up at a hospital suturing tendons all day.

I was thinking about putting this topic under the Europe section but I would love to hear from U.S. doctors, too.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I'm a med student from Germany and will graduate in about 1,5 years.
After spending two months rotating and working with plastic surgeons at UT Southwestern in Dallas, I have realized that plastic/reconstructive surgery is the only medical field that I can truly dedicate myself to.

I am currently in Orange County working with another plastic surgeon for about 10 weeks and I am planning on spending another 4 months here during my last year. I will also be the co-author in probably 2 publications, one is already accepted by ASJ I think.

However, I am looking for a good plastic surgery residency program in Germany, Austria or Switzerland. Taking all those USMLE steps with uncertain outcome is too much of a risk when I could probably get into most of the top programmes in German speaking countries with my CV.

I assume that there must be some great programmes that also own a certain international reputation. Money or living near a lake is not that important to me, good education is. I am highly interested in breast and pediatric reconstructive surgery.
Of course I know that hand surgery is also important but I don't want to end up at a hospital suturing tendons all day.

I was thinking about putting this topic under the Europe section but I would love to hear from U.S. doctors, too.

Thanks!

http://www.springerlink.com/content/x300857g16144831/

Check it out. I'm pretty sure you won't need to take any USMLE exams, and there is a German language track.

Thanks, really interesting.
But I'm bound to German speaking not because of language but because of family.