Any Desis or Muslims in Podiatry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sydzhr

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!!
Out of curiosity are there any Desis or any Muslims in Podiatry school? Or, am I going to be the first Desi Muslim to become a Podiatrist?! I have been looking up on google for any Muslim and Desi Podiatrists in the Chicagoland area and NOT ONE is a Desi or a Muslim!!! Well, there is a first for everything so minus well be me! I have been more interested in Podiatry since I shadowed a resident in Podiatry over the summer and I am looking more into it! I know I am crazy because EVERY SINGLE Desi and EVERY SINGLE Muslim in America is doing MD and I am the only one doing DPM but oh well I don't want to be like EVERY SINGLE DESI in America or Chicago! I want to be different and shine with my own light! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just don't get too caught up over the fact that your a Muslim and focus more on your studies.

Hi!!
Out of curiosity are there any Desis or any Muslims in Podiatry school? Or, am I going to be the first Desi Muslim to become a Podiatrist?! I have been looking up on google for any Muslim and Desi Podiatrists in the Chicagoland area and NOT ONE is a Desi or a Muslim!!! Well, there is a first for everything so minus well be me! I have been more interested in Podiatry since I shadowed a resident in Podiatry over the summer and I am looking more into it! I know I am crazy because EVERY SINGLE Desi and EVERY SINGLE Muslim in America is doing MD and I am the only one doing DPM but oh well I don't want to be like EVERY SINGLE DESI in America or Chicago! I want to be different and shine with my own light! :)

For all intensive purposes, this is a grate idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can assure you that you won't be the first Desi Muslim in podiatry. Regardless, as per a prior response, I wouldn't get hung up on your skin color, race or religious beliefs. Concentrating on that in my opinion is pointless.

When I meet the new residents each year, I have no concerns if they are Caucasian, African Amercian, Asian, Indian,Catholic, Jewish, Baptist, Lutheran, Protestant, Mormon, Muslim, Buddhist, agnostic or atheist.

I judge everyone on the individual traits and characteristics, similarly I treat ALL patients the same. If you don't want race or religion to be an issue, don't make it one. M

I am Muslim and my paternal grandfather is Desi from Hyderabad. I'm technically more Hispanic though because my mom is 100% Puerto Rican...but that's another story. I'm applying next cycle, fyi.

I'm Irani/Indian(Punjabi)...I'm Sikh and applying next cycle =)

I'm from bosnia so I have a muslim background

Why am I surprised there are a lot of Muslims on a pre-health forum?

Hi!!
Hi im muslim and currently a 3rd year resident.

I had Lebanese for dinner. Kafta sandwich, tabbouleh and falafel. Yummm

Members don't see this ad :)
Was it home-cooked?
If so, any secrets you wanna divulge to fellow SDN members :laugh:

Lol no way I made it! I went to a place called Lebanese taverna. They make these crispy, puffed up bread to dip in the hommos and babaghonoush (sp?), so freaking good.:thumbup:

Hi!!

I am from Chicago, and given the make up of the populous there I find it very hard to believe there is not a single one. Addtionally we have family friends who follow the Islamic faith, and their Niece is at NYCPM I believe right now so there are Muslims in the field.
I am though curious why is this a concern to you, pick a DPM based on their skills or reputation and not the religion

Just to chime in, my parents are Iranian, I was born in Germany. My family is not very religious, my father prays the Muslim way, my mom believes in Persian superstitions (lol) because that is a part of their culture. I love Persian food, I believe in God/Higher power, but do not subscribe to any organized religions. Cheers! Prost! Eat, Drink (mostly responsibly), (Exercise), be Merry!

Just to chime in, my parents are Iranian, I was born in Germany. My family is not very religious, my father prays the Muslim way, my mom believes in Persian superstitions (lol) because that is a part of their culture. I love Persian food, I believe in God/Higher power, but do not subscribe to any organized religions. Cheers! Prost! Eat, Drink (mostly responsibly), (Exercise), be Merry!

mees, i saw that little person in your avatar walking in new york city with his (normal sized) wife/girlfriend. i was so excited to see a lannister in person.

Whatttt!! He's my favorite character, watched the first two seasons and now I'm attempting to read the books, one of the best shows ever. :) I'm glad someone else recognized him! I have a huge crush on him (he looks like a short version of Hugh Laurie from House *drool*)!!

Whatttt!! He's my favorite character, watched the first two seasons and now I'm attempting to read the books, one of the best shows ever. :) I'm glad someone else recognized him! I have a huge crush on him (he looks like a short version of Hugh Laurie from House *drool*)!!

Uh, lol! A crush, really?! Watever floats ur boat! :laugh:
I saw a few episodes but I read all the books and they were really good. How do I watch the show without an hbo subscription? I don't really wanna pay for it bc I'm cheap.

a better answer is they're not as extensively present as in the other health professions. We could sure use more! Given the sheer size of desi populations and the prevalence of diabetes amongst brown ppl, we will be looking at unlimited "clientele." Imagine opening up shop on Devon street lol? There definately are desis in podiatry, but not enough.

8 out of around 125. That's including only Muslims not other desis.

Just like RG3 wants to be the best black QB :laugh:

Like others have mentioned above, don't get hung up on your ethnicity/religion.

Ha! more than you might imagine...

And, for whatever reason, Mormons seem to be all the rage in pod-school as well.

Why am I surprised there are a lot of Muslims on a pre-health forum?

You shouldn't be. Its commonplace for (arab) muslim parents to push their kids towards becoming some sort of doctor so they can get the social status and bragging rights. In places in the middle east, its like if you're a doctor, you're a god and everyone should bow to you. If you're a mailman, you're a lesser person and you dont deserve anything good. Which is totally complete BS. but 95% of the arab muslims pursuing medicine are trying to satisfy their parents.

Same with jewish people i've noticed.

I'm lebanese btw...from muslim parents. I'm athiest though.

You shouldn't be. Its commonplace for (arab) muslim parents to push their kids towards becoming some sort of doctor so they can get the social status and bragging rights.

Pretty much this.

Hey guys
Just curious to see how many of you applied this cycle and got in :D

I'm a punjabi jatti (sikh) lol I am applying to Podiatry schools for this cycle. :) I am so nervous!!!
I hope I get :)

I can assure you that you won't be the first Desi Muslim in podiatry. Regardless, as per a prior response, I wouldn't get hung up on your skin color, race or religious beliefs. Concentrating on that in my opinion is pointless.

When I meet the new residents each year, I have no concerns if they are Caucasian, African Amercian, Asian, Indian,Catholic, Jewish, Baptist, Lutheran, Protestant, Mormon, Muslim, Buddhist, agnostic or atheist.

I judge everyone on the individual traits and characteristics, similarly I treat ALL patients the same. If you don't want race or religion to be an issue, don't make it one. M

I agree with this.

I'm both and frankly, I don't get the point of this thread or why one needs to point out one's race/skin color or cultural background.

Last edited: