Any children of doctors and other dedicated professionals...?

oasis786

Hated by mice everywhere
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm looking for some opinions and experiences, and figured SDN would be a great place to get some. My girlfriend and I (of well over 4 years) plan on getting married at some point during this whole med school experience. When all is said and done, she and I will both have demanding careers (her as a lawyer and myself as a physician-scientist). We've talked a lot about kids and where things will fit in with residency, the start of her career and my lab, etc. etc. Sometimes we've wondered if we even *should* have kids...
Of course, as [potential] parents we may be able to make it work somewhat well as long as children are a high enough priority in our lives, this much I know. But I'd really like to hear any perspectives from those of you who had parents that were professionals...from a child's perspective, how bad was it? How did the experience of having parents who weren't there as much during youth translate to a relationship (working, loving, dysfunctional?) now that you've grown up?

Thanks in advance for sharing - I really appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

oasis786 said:
Hey all,

I'm looking for some opinions and experiences, and figured SDN would be a great place to get some. My girlfriend and I (of well over 4 years) plan on getting married at some point during this whole med school experience. When all is said and done, she and I will both have demanding careers (her as a lawyer and myself as a physician-scientist). We've talked a lot about kids and where things will fit in with residency, the start of her career and my lab, etc. etc. Sometimes we've wondered if we even *should* have kids...
Of course, as [potential] parents we may be able to make it work somewhat well as long as children are a high enough priority in our lives, this much I know. But I'd really like to hear any perspectives from those of you who had parents that were professionals...from a child's perspective, how bad was it? How did the experience of having parents who weren't there as much during youth translate to a relationship (working, loving, dysfunctional?) now that you've grown up?

If you're not totally obsessed with genetics, adoption might be an option. There a plenty of children out there if you don't see the actual preganacy and birth fitting into your lives...

oasis786 said:
But I'd really like to hear any perspectives from those of you who had parents that were professionals...from a child's perspective, how bad was it? How did the experience of having parents who weren't there as much during youth translate to a relationship (working, loving, dysfunctional?) now that you've grown up?

My mom was working on her first part of her physical therapy master's degree when I was born (my sister also born two years later). She basically quit that to raise us up while my father worked over seas (civil engineer) to provide for us. We were in Egypt back then, and he worked in Saudi Arabia and Qatar.

Due to his working afar, my father was seldom present in my early years as a child, but he was for my sister when she was born. I didn't really know or feel anything, as both my sister and I grew up normally and we had full support (as well as being "raised" by our grandma at one point of our childhood). We accepted the norm that our dad would visit perdiodically.

Well, having gone through a period of heavy self reflection recently (over the reasons to want to do medicine, but searching more deeply) I became intrigued to learn that my father's absence during my early childhood may have affected me somewhat. My mom discussed with me recently that as a child I would seek out actions by myself and since I only had essentially half of the approval of parents (only my mom) I came to not seek approval or rather justify to myself - and perhaps others - how or why my actions were right or seemed right. It was a bit of stubborness, but slightly more complicated.

This is a quality I have in myself. I'm very independent, always seeking out and researching things for myself. On the other hand, I also became very resistant to change for myself and in fully considering others' advice, because of course I did my own things and set my own justifications.

Translating to my age now, I'd often during early undergrad be resistant to parents' advice, not rebeliously, but because of this quality I had, to always do my own things, find out things on my own, learn from my mistakes by myself, etc. You can see how this may not necessarily have been the best thing, since sometimes the advice of others/outside sources would be handy and beneficial. In talking about some past mistakes I may have made, my parents would often quip that their advice would've saved me a ton of grief, but I would just reply back "yes, but I had to discover it for myself" - owing not only to the necessity that one has to discover and learn things by his/her ownself, but also to how hard it was for me to change some actions because I took it upon myself to undertake those actions and in doing so have justified my reasons to myself for doing them.

It didn't harm me, mind you, but I did have to reassess my reasons and motivations for medical school (which I'm thankfully recouping from now after extensive self reflection over the past several months) and why it was hard for me to bring myself to do something without having a clouded conscience about it, and I didn't understand why.

As for my "quality," I understand and accept that it's part of me now...I just have to realize it is and work to correct/over ride any potential shortcomings it can create in me.

It was actually pretty interesting finding that out about myself, because I never understood the underlying reasons for it. I don't know much about child psychology, but my mom did notice these qualities in me during my father's absence (and more interestingly, the absence of these qualities when my father was home visiting).

Not to freak you out though, I'm quite normal :laugh: (and I do well in school ;))

My two cents though: Be there for your kids. Even though it sounds like you won't be working outside the country or anything like that, you still need to get involved in every aspect of their lives, not in a hindering manner, but in a constructive and supportive manner. Maybe you can wait till after your residency and after your wife has an established career then you can have kids. Oftentimes we feel like life is a race, where we always have to accelerate everything. Why not take it at a good pace so as not to miss anything? Especially with something as important as having kids, where their early development will affect them consciously or subconsciously probably for the rest of their lives :)

I apologize for the long post. I hope you enjoyed it though :D and I hope that it helped :D

Members don't see this ad :)
oasis786 said:
Sometimes we've wondered if we even *should* have kids...
But I'd really like to hear any perspectives from those of you who had parents that were professionals...from a child's perspective, how bad was it?

This is sort of funny...you are basically asking if children of doctors and lawyers wish they hadn't been born. :laugh:

I haven't heard much from Oasis since all the Wonderwall, Champaigne Supernova, Do You Know What I Mean craze. Are they still really big in the UK, and it's just not translating into radio play and record sales in the States?

--Vinoy

My dad is a lawyer and was not with me (since he was a law student elsewhere) during my first two years of life. My grandparents helped raised me as my mom was a nurse and worked. I am VERY close to my mother. She was always there for me, but even though my dad moved with us after law school...when I was 2...I never became close with him. He never really tried to be there for me and whenever he did he was forced to by mom. He fell asleep and snored at my band concerts. I'm not close to my father at all.

However, my best friend's father is also a lawyer and is very very involved with their family. They are so amazingly close.

All in all, I think it depends on how much time and care you put into it. Also, it's not about time you spend with children...it's about quality time. Sure my dad spent time with me shopping, but he usually was just like, "Get whatever you want. I'll pay for it." He became an ATM machine.

Each family is different. If you make the effort and don't mind making the effort, it'll work wonderfully

My dad's a family practitioner, and I was born during his last years of residency. I've got a younger sis (20) and a younger bro (14), and I know / remember my dad is a busy man, but I can never remember a time he wasn't there for me. He coached my T-ball team, watched my basketball games in high school, and came to watch me perform theatre in college (i even got to take a few trips to the ER because babysitters, unlike doctors, are not on call). I'm very close with both of my parents because I think they work hard to be loving, available, etc.

Residency (and I assume law school) is / are VERY time absorbing periods in our lives- so, my nonexperienced parental advice would be to not miss your kids first steps / words / fingerpaintings on the house walls while you are doing 48 hour rotations. In other words, my dad was a dad after he was done with educational demands and it has been great- so I'd say wait. Let's not forget, all that time consumption will make demands on marriage as well- enjoy being a married couple and students before adding Parents to the increasing titles in your identities.

hope i helped, good luck with everything
-Vandyfox

My dad's a surgeon and I remember as a child him being home late, but I got to see him on weekends and sometimes even went into the hospital on Saturday/Sunday mornings on rounds with him. It was a good childhood though, I don't have too many complaints.

Vandyfox said:
Residency (and I assume law school) is / are VERY time absorbing periods in our lives- so, my nonexperienced parental advice would be to not miss your kids first steps / words / fingerpaintings on the house walls while you are doing 48 hour rotations. In other words, my dad was a dad after he was done with educational demands and it has been great- so I'd say wait. Let's not forget, all that time consumption will make demands on marriage as well- enjoy being a married couple and students before adding Parents to the increasing titles in your identities.

hope i helped, good luck with everything
-Vandyfox

Actually, law school is a cakewalk, unless you are doing something insane like working full time and attending "part-time" (still 10-12 credits per semester) at night. However, practicing, at least at larger firms that pay a halfway decent salary, is another story altogether. 60 to 80 hour workweeks are not uncommon, and in fact are the norm at many firms. While this is not substantially different from the demands of the residency period, the problem is that in the law you never get a chance to ramp down the hours at any point. Partners at decent size firms are still billing the same (or more) insane hours as associates, just making more money. That "golden ring" turns out to be not that great, and the chances of reaching it are horribly remote in any case. Out of an entering class of 60 or so attorneys at a big firm, only five or so will ever make partner at that firm. The others will burn out and join a smaller firm or leave the practice altogether.

Sorry for the bitter rant, but I think law is probably the absolute worst profession you can undertake if you desire any sort of family or social life. I know it has killed mine on both fronts. Thankfully I gave up on what few professional ambitions I had last year, and have started to piece together some semblance of a life. And now I am staring at med school and residency :D But at least it is something in which I can legitimately claim an interest, and can see myself doing 20 years from now.

no im happy im born !
ahhahah
my moms a obgyn and my dads a neuro
and god they love me.....ok they wrote it and pinned it on my shirt during residency..but i still have the paper..sure after 12 years its a bit faded..but..GOD NO .>WHERE IS MY LOVE PAPER! AHHHHHH :::runs off to the corner::::

im joking i like having my parents ;)

My parents are both busy professionals. My mom stayed home for a couple of years while I was young, but then went back to school and a career. When I was in middle school/ highschool they weren't always able to make all my soccer games or cheufer me around all day like other parents... sometimes I resented it when I was younger, but I think it made me more independant and stronger. Now were very close and have a great relationship. I also feel that having carrers that they love made my parents happier and good rolemodels for me... much better than parents who are resentful or see you as the only product of thier lives and thus put alot of pressure on you to be perfect, and/or are clingy and needy.

AlternateSome1 said:
This is sort of funny...you are basically asking if children of doctors and lawyers wish they hadn't been born. :laugh:

Yeah seriously, maybe having both parents working isn't the ideal situation, but I haven't heard too many people raised in that environment that later go on to say that they wish their parents had decided not to have them!

If you're both making good salaries, you can always hire a live in nanny or someone to pick up the slack on parenting. Once again, it's not ideal, but I think your kids would rather deal with that then with never being born. It's not like dad's in jail and mom's a hooker.

Andrew_Doan said:
Moving to spouses/partners forums.

Normally I don't critizise Dr Doan since he's the ophtho godfather. But why was this topic moved to spouses / partners? It seems more fit for everyone or the lounge to me.

Sledge2005 said:
Yeah seriously, maybe having both parents working isn't the ideal situation, but I haven't heard too many people raised in that environment that later go on to say that they wish their parents had decided not to have them!

Thanks for the candid replies everyone. No, you're not going to hear anyone say they wish their parents hadn't had them of course! But I've had several children of doctors or lawyers tell me about their resentment towards one or both parents. I've also been urged not to have children by many folks after they hear what my and my girlfriend's careers will consist of. That was the motivation for the thread.

I don't want my kids to hate me b/c I won't be there [as much as I could]. But a lot of you made some good points that will be important to remember. But I suppose it is a life of compromise, and you can't do everything to perfection. I just hope I'll be able to do a good enough job that will allow me to live with myself when all's said and done.

oasis786 said:
But I've had several children of doctors or lawyers tell me about their resentment towards one or both parents.

True, but not everyone is the "perfect" parent. Having a time consuming job is a lot better circumstances then many parents are in these days that use drugs, hit their kids, etc. Almost all of the kids with busy parents eventually grow up to do just fine and are quite happy to have been born (from what I've seen).

oasis786 said:
I've also been urged not to have children by many folks after they hear what my and my girlfriend's careers will consist of. That was the motivation for the thread.

Tell those people to mind their own F'ing business. If you end up sacrificing having any kids for your careers, you'll very likely regret it later. Is making partner is a law firm really more important then having a family?????

DieselPetrolGrl said:
no im happy im born !
ahhahah
my moms a obgyn and my dads a neuro
and god they love me.....ok they wrote it and pinned it on my shirt during residency..but i still have the paper..sure after 12 years its a bit faded..but..GOD NO .>WHERE IS MY LOVE PAPER! AHHHHHH :::runs off to the corner::::

im joking i like having my parents ;)

:p I'm a middle child from a dual-physician family. My mom's PM&R and my dad's psych. These are both 2nd specialties for them. Before coming to this country my mom was ob-gyn and my dad was peds. PM&R/psych are both lifestyle specialties, clinic hours, and my mom had no call whatsoever. My brother/sister/I had a housekeeper to help look after us when we were really young, but it really wasn't a big deal. I think dual-physician families that aren't both lifestyle specialties would still be ok as long as you plan for outside child care. P.S> My sister and I will be the 3rd generation of female physicians in my family (we're both in med skool now; my brother's getting a phd)--basically what I'm saying is dual professional families are fine for raising kids that do well.

my mom's a physician and a single mom...so she was always working, etc...we had a pretty good childhood growing up, but there were a lot of tough times...although sometimes i felt like i wish i wasnt born, i would have to say its more of a result of my dad not being around much and being an @sshole....if you both are going to have demanding jobs, then for your kids' sake get along with each other and dont get divorced :rolleyes:

"Sometimes we've wondered if we even *should* have kids...
Of course, as [potential] parents we may be able to make it work somewhat well as long as children are a high enough priority in our lives"

If and when you come to the realization that your children can, in fact, be a priority, then you may consider having children. Until that time, you are prohibited from any sort of recreationally procreative activities. God knows there are enough screwed up, neglected kids to take care of in this profession. We don't need you throwing any more on the pile. Parenthood is not a whim, it's a full-time job.

My vote: :thumbdown:

I tend to think that people who are poor parents would have been poor parents no matter the profession they choose. However, I personally would NEVER, EVER marry another doctor.