any calls yet for GI for 2010??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

priya1233

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all

just wondering has anyone recieved any calls in GI yet....or i guess its too early anyways....

thx

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think they will be looking at the applications yet. Obviously you are going for GI. How many programs did u apply to ?. What is your profile like ?

i am on J1 visa so i applied as many as i can and i am not geographically restricted,i am from a univ program,lets see how it goes...most of the programs have downloaded the application already ...wat about you...

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG on visa at Community program. Applied to 50 programs. Trying my luck to see what happens...

I think it will be in early Jan that we hear the first calls. most would interview very few preselected candidates at this time.

hepatoma

What is your profile like How many programs did u apply for?.Any idea how competitive it is looking this year. I know last year each program averaged approximately 120 applications per position.

IMG,Green card, Univ based residency, some research and 3 presentation in last 2 years.
45 programs.

What are your scores like ?. How important are the scores for getting interviews?

210-220 range. They are not the most important but they also count. When there are 60-100 applicants per seat everything counts including the sound of your name. lmsao

did any of you apply to mgh, mt sinai or bwh? have they downloaded your app? mine says available but not downloaded yet... just curious.

r u talking about Mt Sinai,new york?..i did apply there,they have downloaded on 11th,other places dont sponsor visa so did not apply,goodluck

First offer out today (US grad, northeast university program, PhD):

1. Yale

Also, MGH and Sinai have uploaded materials, although letters that came in later took longer to be uploaded.

Congrats on the interview. Post any more interviews as you get them

Members don't see this ad :)
Any further news guys?

I heard Hopkins has started to send invites too, from 1 friend and 2 former classmates working as residents in the DC area.

But of course, I wasn't in that list either.

Priya123,

Are you sure that MSSM already downloaded on the 11th....coz mine has been sitting in "available but not downloaded" condition.....since Dec. 1 : (

yeah it did (MSSM,New york program),thts what it shows on my eras,dont worry i guess they would download yours too soon....gudluck

mine still shows up as available but not downloaded as well..

OK we know that the interview calls have started. What are the actual start dates for interview . Lucky guys tell us

Mayo Rochester Call by E-Mail today

Interview scheds, this is what I got from friends, classmates and even far acquintances:

California pacific medical center- Last 2 weeks of Jan
Mayo rochester- Feb 16-20 something

No further details yet from my friend who got a Hopkins interview

Nothing from UCI or UPITT no Rejection either

Uci , upitt , pacific are these internal guys

My Yale date is in early Feb. Now waiting for the rest...

MidWestResident -

Applied for Both Clinical and NIH positions, Same interview to be considered for both positions at Mayo Rochester

I heard that Missouri Columbia has invited people. I have not heard anything has any of of you guys heard anything yet ?

COSCCN-

Thanks for your reply. So far no calls yet from Missouri Columbia.
I'm getting the feeling that most calls may temporarily halt due to the Holidays and resume after.

So everyone keep your fingers crossed. Let us know if any updates. Happy Holidays

Hi guys. Been a long time fan of this forum. I am a third year resident applying for GI. As for me I am an IMG in a Univ affiliated program in NYC, now a permanent resident, with average scores in 235 in the steps. Have 2 US publications in peer reviewed Journals ( 1 GI+ 1 Pulm) and 2 publications from back home. Also have 4 abstracts in GI , 2 other non related medical presentations in med school. I have chosen to do a nutrition fellowship in one of the top GI programs in the country, as opposed to a Chief year at my hospital. I have now applied to 75+ program all over the country.
Would someone tell me what are my odds this match, and would a nutrition fellowship for 2009-2010 for in a premier ( among top 3 in US) institution really help my application for the match this year...really appreciate it......and yes still waiting for my first call..:)

Polyp-

Just hang in there. There is no telling how this match gonna be. You have outstanding credentials. I'm also a third year. I did not apply last year since I was aware of my so-so average credentials. I'm currently in a Univ Program

I have 2 batchmates in residency last year who matched in GI. They got Great USMLE, Great Letters, One will be chief, and of course publications too like you. So you should be fine : ) They applied to 60 programs and got 5 calls. But they matched in the end. I think one of them is a permanent resident, the other is on a J-1 visa

Would you mind giving a hint where you are doing your nutrition fellowship as I am looking for a backup plan if I don't match this year ? My fallback is to work as hospitalist if I don't make it.

Thanks.

Impressive profile , I think you have a great chance. How did you go about applying to Nutrition 1 year fellowship ?. I will be looking into it if i don't match this year.

Well thanks guys...well my application was last year on a H1b visa, and I can say that most programs flatly denied my application on day 3-4 of application.

I have always asked which would better ones application..a Nutrition fellowship in a good program with research oppurtunities, a chief year in your hospital or a non accredited Hepatology fellowship...the answer is I dont know..and if you guys have any input lemme know
As for the Nutrition fellowship, I am told ( could be wrong..?) that remains the only open back door to a GI fellowship, now that Hepatology fellowship is a super speciality for GI trained fellows in most places.
I chose a Nutrition fellowship program headed and run by GI. There a lot of Nutrition fellowship out there, but not all may be applicable and may infact me a waste of time, if you dont work with the GI team or have an attending from GI running the show.
This is the website: http://main.uab.edu/ipnec/show.asp?durki=54523.. From this list its apparent only 3 are run by GI: Cleveland Clinic, Univ of Chicago and Memorial Sloan kettering. All these have programs are headed by well published attendings....the others are equally good, but for looking get new LORs and referrals for a GI fellowship, its only a handful. And yes, most places are interviewing for the Nutritiion spot beginning in July 2009 now..so hurry on with the paper application

Please let me know if you have any new input on this...

Polyp-

Thank you for sharing.... I don't know the answer to your question either. My program director insists that getting excellent LORs from established GI docs should be helpful, in addition to research and more exposure to GI either through fellowship like yours, or even GI elective experiences. It's really hard to tell..... but I guess he is right because 2 of my batchmates got GI fellowships last year following his advice....

Hi everyone I was faced with the same situation as polyp. I am an IMG who is a PGY 3 at a University Program with USMLE scores in low 230s. I too have a green card now. When I applied last year I was on a H1 and ended up getting only 5 interviews and not matching. I was selected for Nutrition fellowship at Mayo for 2009 but chose to do Hepatology instead in one of the top academic centers in the country. I have 6 publications in peer reviewed journals although only 3 of them are GI. I have 2 abstracts and one poster presentation at a major GI national meet. This time I have applied to 30 programs and plan to add more if I am drawing blanks.
Got my second interview yesterday at Johns Hopkins.

Last edited:
hematemesis-

Great profile.Where was your first interview from ? Mayo Rochester?

Hi everyone I was faced with the same situation as polyp. I am an IMG who is a PGY 3 at a University Program with USMLE scores in low 230s. I too have a green card now. When I applied last year I was on a H1 and ended up getting only 5 interviews and not matching. I was selected for Nutrition fellowship at Mayo for 2009 but chose to do Hepatology instead in one of the top academic centers in the country. I have 6 publications in peer reviewed journals although only 3 of them are GI. I have 2 abstracts and one poster presentation at a major GI national meet. This time I have applied to 30 programs and plan to add more if I am drawing blanks.
Got my second interview yesterday at Johns Hopkins.

Hematemesis,

I was reading your blog earlier this year with regards to Hepatology Fellowship, and that one will not be board eligible to appear at the end of such a fellowship without a GI fellowship, is that so.
In your opinion which fellowship is better, I had tried most places, but many earlier this year denied saying they are looking for GI fellows, and would rather have their spot unfilled.
Also, when did you apply for a hepatology fellowship, is it too late forme to apply for one now.

thanks

Hi Polyp,
Yes it is true that one cannot appear for the CAQ without taking the GI boards first. I have heard it may not matter which came first as long as the GI fellowship is completed. I still chose hepatology over nutrition at Mayo,
because A) Rochester is a dump with really bad weather, B) I did not see the utility of a Nutrition fellowship. It may be too late to apply to some of the accredited programs but there are several others like U of Miami, UCLA which may still be accepting applications. How are you planning to back out from the nutrition fellowship if you have already accepted it?

hematemesis,

Can you share with us where your two interviews are from so that i can scratch some off my list.

No calls so far......

I think we are now in Holiday interlude.....so if no calls...I'd just wish the regular folks here: COSCCN, HEMATEMESIS, POLYP, SKIP LESION and of course RECTALIZER

Merry Christmas folks and More Calls to come this New year

Hi HEMATEMESIS and SKIPLESION:
may I ask if your Yale calls are from research track? I applied research track, no calls so far. Thanks.

No calls so far......

I think we are now in Holiday interlude.....so if no calls...I'd just wish the regular folks here: COSCCN, HEMATEMESIS, POLYP, SKIP LESION and of course RECTALIZER

Merry Christmas folks and More Calls to come this New year

As Midwest Res put it, hope for a great new year...and I guess the remaining calls will start after the first week of January.
Additionally anyone has a list of programs that require supplementary material apart from ERAS, could you post it .....

Hi HEMATEMESIS and SKIPLESION:
may I ask if your Yale calls are from research track? I applied research track, no calls so far. Thanks.

GI2010, I applied to both tracks, and they didn't indicate if they are interviewing for either specifically. Happy holidays everyone.

Last edited:
As Midwest Res put it, hope for a great new year...and I guess the remaining calls will start after the first week of January.
Additionally anyone has a list of programs that require supplementary material apart from ERAS, could you post it .....

LIST OF PROGRAM requiring supplementary APPLICATION I Know so Far:

1. UCSF
2. Hopkins
3. Stanford

Anybody else PLEASE ADD. Thanks. Merry Christmas!

Any calls this week?. Happy new year everyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.