Any BSc in Pharmacy out there

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tryinghard

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey, are there any BSc in Pharmacy out there at all?? just wanted to know. do these guys make the same money as a Pharm D. i heard some retail chains don't even care if you have a bs or a pharmD.

Members don't see this ad.

You can't get a BS anymore. It was phased out. The last graduating class will be 2004. Retail will hire BS or PharmD.

are you sure..i checked out st. louis university..and they said they have a bs in pharm..which was created in 2000.

well..tell me about the programs out there..i want to transfer into one..i already have most of the classes fulfilled-i just have to fulfill a few classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some schools offer a BS in pharmaceutical sciences or something, but that doesn't lead to one becoming a practicing pharmacist. The PharmD is the only entry-level practitioner's degree available now.

From what I've heard -- Yes - people with BS degrees make the same dough as PharmD's.

hey..do you have to get a bs in pharm. if you have a ba in bio..can't you just past the liscenced exam and start working??

Tryinghard,

Unless you'll be graduating by 2004 with your BS in Pharmacy, You cannot just take the exam and begin practicing.

As quoted at
http://aacp.org/site/page.asp?VID=1&CID=695&DID=4753&TrackID= :

"In July 1992, U.S. schools and colleges of pharmacy voted to move toward awarding the Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.) degree as the only professional degree in pharmacy. The B.S. of Pharmacy program is no longer offered in the U.S. to any new students. The last B.S. of Pharmacy students will graduate in spring 2004. "

I hope that answers your question.

hey..does anyone know about transferring into a b.s pharmacy program right now. is that allowed ??

if you already have a b.a. in say biology, can you just take the pharm board, and start practicing.

tryinghard,
you need to have either BS in pharm or pharmD in order to take the board exam. anything else doesn't cut it.

as far as transfering to b.s. pharm program, i guess you can contact those schools that still offer b.s.

which schools still offer it??

not sure. sorry.

TryingHard :

There is NO possible way to get your BS in pharm anymore and get the ability to practice as a pharmacist. The ONLY possible way is to obtain your Pharm.D. degree. It is a 4 year program (some schools do have 3 year programs) following usually an associates degree in Chemistry. So what you have to do is take your preuquisite classes (chem, organic, bio, etc...) and apply to Pharm.D. programs. That is the ONLY way you will be able to become a pharmacist from now on.