Any black male pre-meds?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wassup fellas! How is it going out there? I got my 2nd invite from Howard!!! :D

Extremely excited about this one! God is awesome!

Members don't see this ad.

Wassup fellas! How is it going out there? I got my 2nd invite from Howard!!! :D

Extremely excited about this one! God is awesome!

OH MY GOSH B! IM SO HAPPY FOR YOU!!!! CONGRATS MAN AND KNOCK EM OUT IN THE INTERVIEW!!!!!!!! :D:thumbup:

yea wat the hell is going on? i kno of only 1 blk male that is applying from my school, and i go 2 a major public school...i cant share my stories w ne1! but SDN hahah

interviews at jefferson, pitt, umd, vandy, pritzker, washu, yale, usc, uva, hopkins, penn, temple, emory, nyu, michigan, and uva!!!

Congrats!!! Well for what it's worth, you can always share your experiences with others on here. This just highlights the fact that there is a need for us to reach out and mentor younger brothers that are going through the process. A lot of us loose our way through the years and don't make it through the application process. Others if it wasn't for the color of their skin, I would not know that they were black (i.e. have a chip on their sholder about being called black). I know it took a village to get me to this point, and in the future I am going to be a part of someone else's village.

Members don't see this ad :)
My brothas, my brothas! How are we doing these days? I hope God is moving in ways you never would have thought!

My brothas, my broths! How are we doing these days? I hope God is moving in ways you never would have thought!

It's that nice little period of "slow down" and "reflection" for all of us. That's why I just love the winter holidays. I have some events in DC next month (dreading the traffic) but this year I managed to get off Christmas (on call Christmas Eve) and the week of New Year's in addition to my January DC time. Life is pretty good.

Hope that the New Year brings good news for you and everyone who is waiting on acceptances. You know that it only takes one for your world to change. I can still remember opening that first acceptance letter and not quite believing what I was reading (it's been a few years). I know that you will feel the same way too.

Got a quick question. I was just wondering if I put African American under my application would I more likely get an interview?

Got a quick question. I was just wondering if I put African American under my application would I more likely get an interview?

Although I'm pretty sure this post was a joke I'll answer anyway:

Its a fairly well known fact that adcoms look for diversity so any attribute you posses that sets you apart from the whole might cause someone to give your app a second look. That can range from being black to being a tv repair man for 2 years before you applied. Lest we forget however, that no medical school in the country is gonna accept someone who they do not deem fully capable of handling the rigors of med school

Damn it you guys are ON FIRE! What GPA and MCATs do you guys have for all this nice interviews! I want to get those interviews too ;(

Gentlemen, this is my first post on this site. I used to be one of those people who just came on the site to look at what everyone is saying and get information. I decided to step my game up and start posting. Just wanted to share that I have two interviews coming up in January: Penn State and Meharry. If you have interviewed at these 2 schools I would appreciate any advice. I'm a Canadian student... but my story is way more complicated than that, lol. Everyone seems to be doing big things... keep doing what you do, God is good!

I just joined SDN last week, and I'm glad a black male thread exists. SDN is awesome! People always mention that there aren't many black males in the profession (even compared to black females), but this thread makes me feel less alone as a black male applicant.

What is up people????? Its been a while,but I'm back on tha scene

Members don't see this ad :)
Wassup fellas! How is everybody doing? I am blessed! Just waiting on my decisions from Howard and from Drew/UCLA. I know that my Howard decision has been made and my letter will be mailed in a couple of weeks. I am geeked up about what the Lord has in store for me.

Hey Chris1906, wassup my fellow greek. I am a Sigma from Cali. Did you get accepted to UMich? If so, big congrats bro!

Wow...looks like this thread has been resurrected...kind of...

Just stopping in to say whassup!
This cycle has been awesome so far...best of luck to all the brothas

MY PRESIDENT IS BLACK!!! CHYEA!!!:thumbup::):highfive::soexcited::clap::bow::biglove::banana::claps::zip:

Brothas, brothas, brothas! How is everybody doing?

If anyone is in the Washington, DC area, the Howard White Coat Ceremony is coming up usually on the Friday of the HUCM Freshman Orientation week. It's a great ceremony and a good time to meet and greet the folks who are entering in addition to hearing an inspirational address by a nationally-known speaker. Check this thread later on for exact date and time.

See BlackDr2B's reply below for date and time!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is in the Washington, DC area, the Howard White Coat Ceremony is coming up on the Friday of the HUCM Freshman Orientation week [Likely to be July 24th this year] It's a great ceremony and a good time to meet and greet the folks who are entering in addition to hearing an inspirational address by a nationally-known speaker. Check this thread later on for exact date and time.

Hey NJBMD. The White Coat Ceremony is on August 7th @ 4pm. Hey NJBMD, I actually emailed you about a month ago. Hope you are doing well. PARP went really well. We had our final yesterday and now the program is done!!! Can't wait to go home for a lil bit until July 22nd for orientation.

Hailing from Berkeley California! Good luck this cycle everyone!

Hey NJBMD. The White Coat Ceremony is on August 7th @ 4pm. Hey NJBMD, I actually emailed you about a month ago. Hope you are doing well. PARP went really well. We had our final yesterday and now the program is done!!! Can't wait to go home for a lil bit until July 22nd for orientation.

I usually get an invitation from Dean Cannon for planning purposes. I am glad that they have set the date and time. I knew that you would chime in here. Again, for anyone who is in DC, it's a great thing to attend. You get one-on-one with many of the professors and clinicians at Howard.

The year of my White Coat Ceremony, Dr. Ben Carson was the speaker. Many people were able to get their copies of "Gifted Hands" personally autographed by Dr. Carson. He was happy to hang out in the lobby of the Adams Building until everyone's questions were answered and everyone had their autographs. I wish I had remembered to bring mine. ;) When I did a rotation at Hopkins three years later, he signed my copy then.

So i am new to this forum and am pleased to find a page full of black men, seeing as i can get the BEST advice. I have taken the mcat once May 28th) and got a 23Q. As disappointed as i am, i am hearing that i may actually still have a chance with this score. I am already registered to retake the test (Aug 6th), but i need advice on re-taking the exam, schools to apply to, and what to do to increase my chances.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I am glad I found a site for the pre-med brothas. I will be applying for the 2011 class. I am also planning to take the MCAT in the spring and I'm already studying and preparing in advance. For all of you who have gone through the MCAT process how in the heck do I develop the crtitical reading skills that I need for the verbal section? How did you prepare for that section? Also sometimes I tend to get a little discouraged and question my level of competence to go to medical school and I know I shouldn't be like that but what advice do you have for me that helped you break those same cycle of thoughts. Any more advice for someone who's just starting this journey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

I am glad I found a site for the pre-med brothas. I will be applying for the 2011 class. I am also planning to take the MCAT in the spring and I'm already studying and preparing in advance. For all of you who have gone through the MCAT process how in the heck do I develop the crtitical reading skills that I need for the verbal section? How did you prepare for that section? Also sometimes I tend to get a little discouraged and question my level of competence to go to medical school and I know I shouldn't be like that but what advice do you have for me that helped you break those same cycle of thoughts. Any more advice for someone who's just starting this journey would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :)

The best prep is to read a wide variety of materials (texts, op-ed pieces, editorials). Try to figure out the author's thesis, evidence, tone. Formulate a counterargument. Does the author provide solid evidence for their position. How well is their argument constructed? Does the author use deductive reasoning or inductive reasoning in constructing their position?

Good readers are almost always good writers and thus, with plenty of practice, you can prepare for the verbal reasoning section and the writing section at the same time. If you can analyze an argument or position, you can construct an argument or support a position.

I read the editorial pages of The Washington Post and The New York Times. I also read Atlantic Monthly and the New Yorker too. Don't just read things that you agree with but carefully look at and analyze the positions of people and materials that contain things you wouldn't necessarily support. In short, read as much as you can get your hands on from a variety of sources.

You may also want to look on line for some hints about critical reading and analysis. Many schools have courses in analytical reading and evaluation and part of their study skills presentations. If you have time, check out one of these courses.

Don't be discouraged when you first start out. Critical reading and analysis takes time and practice. Good luck with the MCAT prep. Just be sure to prepare well before you take that exam. You don't want to have to retake. Cancel the exam if you are not thoroughly prepared.

The post needs some reviving! Its good to see black males becoming doctors we are truly a dime in a dozen:D

Hey everyone, I too am a black male, didnt even know this thread existed. Ive had some success in this application cycle so if you have questions feel free to pm me.

Hey everyone, I too am a black male, didnt even know this thread existed. Ive had some success in this application cycle so if you have questions feel free to pm me.

congrats on Hopkins

The post needs some reviving! Its good to see black males becoming doctors we are truly a dime in a dozen:D

lol man, we're the oppposite of a dime a dozen. More like a dime a million

WOW I just looked at your MD profile. You truly are amazing. Emory (I live in Atlanta) and John Hopkins would be a dream come true for me!

Congratulations I know you must be living your dream.:)

Any north carolina people here? I'll hopefully be heading to ECU Brody SOM in fall 2011

By the way, is anyone applying to minority summer research programs? I'm curious about how competitive certain programs are. I've applied to 5 and i want to be sure I get at least one.

Vanderbilt SSA
STEP-UP
Hartford hosp. (Conn.)
Wake Forest EICS
Pittsburgh U. SNAEP

Thanks everyone for the good words, It has been a dream come true. It has been the culmination of a lot of hard work, tears, and bloodshed at the library. I hope to see more of us representing in healthcare in the future. There are a lot of people on this forum who hate though. Its whatever. Keep Up the good work yall, pm me if you have other questions.

Thanks everyone for the good words, It has been a dream come true. It has been the culmination of a lot of hard work, tears, and bloodshed at the library. I hope to see more of us representing in healthcare in the future. There are a lot of people on this forum who hate though. Its whatever. Keep Up the good work yall, pm me if you have other questions.

I don't know if you said it yet, but which MD school did you choose?

i havent chosen yet.. I have a difficult decision to make. still have to hear from harvard, columbia, cornell and u pen and i want to see how much $$ is on the table.

i havent chosen yet.. I have a difficult decision to make. still have to hear from harvard, columbia, cornell and u pen and i want to see how much $$ is on the table.

Hey, I interviewed with you at Columbia. That place is amazing, crossing my fingers on that one:xf:. Congrats on the great acceptances.

Anyone starting off pre-med, applying this summer or just have any questions about interviews, preparation or whatever I'm up for PM and will gladly answer any questions. After interviewing around the East Coast I have truly seen how few and far in between we Black males are when it comes to applying to medical school (in comparison to other groups). Good luck to everyone. :luck:

Hey, I interviewed with you at Columbia. That place is amazing, crossing my fingers on that one:xf:. Congrats on the great acceptances.

Anyone starting off pre-med, applying this summer or just have any questions about interviews, preparation or whatever I'm up for PM and will gladly answer any questions. After interviewing around the East Coast I have truly seen how few and far in between we Black males are when it comes to applying to medical school (in comparison to other groups). Good luck to everyone. :luck:
Hey how did you know it was me? thanks for the congrats, but it seems as though you are doing your thing as well. Keep it up. the application cycle for african american males must be really small, I have been identified like 5 times now haha.

Hey how did you know it was me? thanks for the congrats, but it seems as though you are doing your thing as well. Keep it up. the application cycle for african american males must be really small, I have been identified like 5 times now haha.

Your mdapp says we interviewed on the same day and I remember meeting someone from Morehouse there. Yea, this cycle at around 12 interviews that i went to I met probably 8 african american males out of about 130 people. Its sad. Thanks. This cycle has been a blessing but I can't wait to know exactly where I'll be in the fall.

I'm a black non-trad based out of texas. Soph status right now.

Anybody for the 2011-12 cycle it is looking to be pretty competitive this year.

Yo. reporting all black males for the 2011-12.. together lets form Voltron and take on all.

im applying to
all TMDSAS schools (Im a Texas resident)
Tulane
Arkansas
Morehouse
Howard
NYMC
and 2 DO Schools

Good luck to all my black brothers and sisters!! I will be praying that all of you get admitted to medical schools!!! (I won't be following this thread, so message me if I can help).

I know this is an old forum, but I took the day to read through a good part of it. I'm a non-trad who will begin the process of taking my prereqs for med school this week. It's been a long time coming, especially with receiving a master's degree in Counseling Psych ten years ago and currently working to finish my MBA this year. What can I say, I like to do it my way/the hard way lol I currently manage in the research field and every day I am reminded that there's a clear shortage of us in the healthcare field. I'm encouraged by you brothas and your courage, zeal, and fortitude. I'm looking forward to this process, though it is one helluva long process to say the least. Blessings.