Any black male pre-meds?!?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wassup fellas! I pray that all is blessed with everybody. It is good to see this thread on the first page. Where are all the brothas at that are applying this cycle for the class of 2013? God bless.

Members don't see this ad.

Hope everyone made it through finals (and graduation). Congratulations to those folks finishing up first year. Take some time to rest and relax before you start any summer work. You really need to decompress after all of that work.

Don't worry if you feel that you can't remember any of your first year stuff. When you are done with second year next year, you will be able to recall quite a bit after a good review. The other thing to keep in mind is that second year coursework often reviews quite a bit from first year. It's all about building on a strong foundation. Don't waste any of your precious relaxation time studying anything that isn't assigned work.

Members don't see this ad :)
oh and for the record i'm a black male pre med...but i wish good luck to ALL pre meds this application cycle, cause we all need it

amconteh i'd keep somthin like that private until the appropriate time

Why is it inappropriate to talk about that?
Didn't think it really makes a difference that to talk about Frat I want to pledge to.

Why is it inappropriate to talk about that?
Didn't think it really makes a difference that to talk about Frat I want to pledge to.

maybe he's talking about you revealing your undergrad.
it's pretty easy to identify ppl on this thread. ive done it several times w/o trying and i know that ive said things that could (pretty easily) give away my identity if a close friend of mine was roaming the forum..

need some advice from my brothers. I am currently in a limbo situation. I graduated from a hbcu had decent grades but due to me having a family and a full time job not that much of EC's past soph year. I am going to goto a non-traditional post-bacc (only one i can afford) this fall and was wondering what typs of EC's i should participate in and how much clinical experience is too little. Oh and how good doese being part of amsa look on an app.

need some advice from my brothers. I am currently in a limbo situation. I graduated from a hbcu had decent grades but due to me having a family and a full time job not that much of EC's past soph year. I am going to goto a non-traditional post-bacc (only one i can afford) this fall and was wondering what typs of EC's i should participate in and how much clinical experience is too little. Oh and how good doese being part of amsa look on an app.

Advise from a sista:

Try to participate in anything that will show your interest in your fellow human beings. This can be working at a soup kitchen, volunteering at a nursing home, tutoring kids after school in homeless shelters or volunteering at the free clinic. If you can work with Habitat for Humanity or Christmas in April (over a weekend), you could get some good experience.

AMSA is fine but it isn't really much of a resume builder. You can include it as an organization but better would be lobbying on Capitol Hill with the medical students section of the AMA or helping with screenings at your local church (blood pressure screenings), transporting the elderly to physician appointments etc.

The best thing is to find something that you enjoy that you can work on over a long period of time. It is also good to have something that will not interfere with your school work or compliments your school work.

Try to shadow a physician or two in addition to your extracurricular activities and you should be fine. Whatever you do, make sure that you can both explain what you learned or how you evolved as a person and that it is verifiable. Good luck!

njbmd pretty much hit it all. Its more important to do something that you are passionate about (that happens to help people too) than just do something. Shadowing a doctor is the minimum, so it won't really make you stick out. These days, doing research is pretty normal too, unless you happen to publish. You are already unique in that you are a father; adding on a good community service EC and some baseline doc shadowing should even out our app, especially if your GPA and MCAT are not lacking.

Wassup fellas, how is everything going for everybody?

Hey Doctajay and other folks like Alphaholic!
When does your MS-1 year end? Our students are long gone for their summer vacations and we are running the labs at full tilt now.

Hope you had a good first year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought I would answer for UF. Ugrads ended April 30 and the MS1 had class/exam till June 5.

Hey Doctajay and other folks like Alphaholic!
When does your MS-1 year end? Our students are long gone for their summer vacations and we are running the labs at full tilt now.

Hope you had a good first year!

I've been done for about a month now. Feels good to be an M2.

What's up, fellas?!? I am new to the forum. I am an older bruh (26) applying for Fall 2009.

Anyone taking the MCAT this summer? I am considering retaking the exam. I took it back in Sept, and I got 27P -- 8(v), 8(p), and 11(b). Needless to say, I am not happy with my score esp considering I have a 2.8 overall undergrad. In my defense, i went to an ivy (lol)!!! Currently, I am enrolled in a biomedical MS program and my grades are okay 2A's and 4B's. Hopefully this year will go a lil better.

Any comments/suggestions on the retake? I spoke with a couple of admin folks, and it seems like I am okay for state schools but i am hoping for Pitt or Northwestern.

Last edited:
What's up, fellas?!? I am new to the forum. I am an older bruh (26) applying for Fall 2013.

Anyone taking the MCAT this summer? I am considering retaking the exam. I took it back in Sept, and I got 27P -- 8(v), 8(p), and 11(b). Needless to say, I am not happy with my score esp considering I have a 2.8 overall undergrad. In my defense, i went to an ivy (lol)!!! Currently, I am enrolled in a biomedical MS program and my grades are okay 2A's and 4B's. Hopefully this year will go a lil better.

Any comments/suggestions on the retake? I spoke with a couple of admin folks, and it seems like I am okay for state schools but i am hoping for Pitt or Northwestern.

okay for state schools...dawg, im a black male 2 so im not hatin, but yo, i wouldnt feel too "safe" for state schools...regardless of your ECs, unless you have serious connections/legacy, i wouldnt feel safe anywhere with a 2.8/27, unless your talkin a DO school in africa (do these exist?)...i guess the mcat is okay for state schools but the 2.8 raises red flags...i know many brothers with your stats, and some with slightly better, including one who got into a top 25 med, but didnt get into my state school cuz his 3.1/31 didnt make the screen....so dont get too confident! but best of luck to you!

just wanted to say hi to all my brothas:

Good luck to all that is applying and good luck :thumbup:

okay for state schools...dawg, im a black male 2 so im not hatin, but yo, i wouldnt feel too "safe" for state schools...regardless of your ECs, unless you have serious connections/legacy, i wouldnt feel safe anywhere with a 2.8/27, unless your talkin a DO school in africa (do these exist?)...i guess the mcat is okay for state schools but the 2.8 raises red flags...i know many brothers with your stats, and some with slightly better, including one who got into a top 25 med, but didnt get into my state school cuz his 3.1/31 didnt make the screen....so dont get too confident! but best of luck to you!

Thanks for answering my question about the re-test :rolleyes:.

At any rate, I definitely did not intend to come off overly confident in my previous post. I would argue, however, that if I was "too confident" as you aforementioned then I probably wouldn't be here asking advice from peers :rolleyes:. Furthermore, the folks that I spoke to who said I was "okay for state schools" were admin officials at four different medical schools NOT myself... Next time, read a lil more carefully sir. As for my low GPA, I went to an IVY and I wasn't prepared -- AT ALL. My study skills were horrible and I was too ashamed to reach out for help... I am paying for that now. I have enrolled in a masters level biomedical science program where I take courses with medical students and I have managed to perform respectfully. Anyways, ignore the re-test question as I will figure it out for myself :rolleyes:.

obama 08

- leaves thread

OBAAAMMMMMMA!!!! I love this man!!! UNCLE BARACK for 2K8!!!

Yup, I'm in this category. Seems like the journey is going to be impossible, I'll be starting school in August. I'm going to try my absolute best to pull straight A's. I got a few questions if someone would be willing to help me out. PM me if so. Thanx.

Well I might as well post my question too:

Should I even bother majoring in biology, or should I change my major to political science or something. Let me know. I want the best possible chance of getting in with the best possible major. Or atleast a major I favor a little more and thats def. Poli Sci. Then again with all the pre-reqs that I have to do for pre med I might as well be a biology major......tough.

Should I even bother majoring in biology, or should I change my major to political science or something. Let me know. I want the best possible chance of getting in with the best possible major. Or atleast a major I favor a little more and thats def. Poli Sci. Then again with all the pre-reqs that I have to do for pre med I might as well be a biology major......tough.

You just answered your own question. When I was coming into school I thought being a bio major was the only way to get into med school, wish I had known otherwise. Adcoms like to see diverse individuals so being a pol. sci major would definitely make you stand out. Just take the prereqs and you should be fine. If I could go back to freshmen year I would be a philosophy major and would have just take the med school pre-reqs.

Definitely major in what you love and do very well. You just need to take your pre-med courses (get a solid knowledge base in these for the MCAT) and then do what you love very well. Political science is as good as any major. It's far better to be sitting there in PoliSci classes enjoying yourself than in upper level Bio classes hating life. Ace the MCAT (plan to take this important test only once); have good extracurriculars (LORs, shadowing, volunteering) and you should be golden. A good thing that you might like to do with your interest in political science is join up with the AMA folks and lobby on Capitol Hill (every Spring) on issues that are of importance to physicians. There are great experiences here and if you are very active, you can get your hotel and airfare covered. This would look excellent on your AMCAS application too. Good luck!

Definitely major in what you love and do very well. You just need to take your pre-med courses (get a solid knowledge base in these for the MCAT) and then do what you love very well. Political science is as good as any major. It's far better to be sitting there in PoliSci classes enjoying yourself than in upper level Bio classes hating life. Ace the MCAT (plan to take this important test only once); have good extracurriculars (LORs, shadowing, volunteering) and you should be golden. A good thing that you might like to do with your interest in political science is join up with the AMA folks and lobby on Capitol Hill (every Spring) on issues that are of importance to physicians. There are great experiences here and if you are very active, you can get your hotel and airfare covered. This would look excellent on your AMCAS application too. Good luck!

wow thanks. good idea.

Bump How is everyone doing? I wish those applying for the class of 2013 the best of luck. Rack in those acceptances!

Anybody else out there?

Hey Guys! It's been ages since I have seen this thread. I guess Doctajay and Alphaholic are "knee-deep in the hoopla" of second year. For everyone who is applying this year, God speed and goodluck!

For everyone out there, don't forget to register and VOTE!! Send off for your absentee ballot right now because time is getting short. If you have never voted, this is the year to do it.

Also, remember that your future income as a physician depends heavily on acts of Congress so get informed and VOTE my brothers. Go to the AMA and NMA sites to get information on issues. No time like the present.

is anyone here gonna be at ABRCMS this year? (Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students www.abrcms.org) I submitted my abstract and we hear back on sept. 26th. it sounds like it's gonna be a lotta fun and its at disney world! (or one of those parks)

Hey Guys! It's been ages since I have seen this thread. I guess Doctajay and Alphaholic are "knee-deep in the hoopla" of second year. For everyone who is applying this year, God speed and goodluck!

For everyone out there, don't forget to register and VOTE!! Send off for your absentee ballot right now because time is getting short. If you have never voted, this is the year to do it.

Also, remember that your future income as a physician depends heavily on acts of Congress so get informed and VOTE my brothers. Go to the AMA and NMA sites to get information on issues. No time like the present.

Hey njbmd. I'm definitely knee-deep into second year learning drugs and bugs among other things. It's good though. I'm definitely enjoying it a lot more than first year. The information is interesting and it seems more practical. I've already had my first set of exams, and came out A ok, so I think this is going to be a great year.

Anyone heard anything from U-Mich?
I already have 8 interviews and they havent sent me anything. That's my number one choice. Anyone need any advice on MCAT, holla at me. Made a 38 and just took it two months ago so its still fresh. Oh yea, and what up to any Alphas out there!!

Anyone heard anything from U-Mich?
I already have 8 interviews and they havent sent me anything. That's my number one choice. Anyone need any advice on MCAT, holla at me. Made a 38 and just took it two months ago so its still fresh. Oh yea, and what up to any Alphas out there!!

I'm a Que actually but its cool to see other black greeks doing well. One question though, 2 years ago you claimed to get into Yale......yet you just took the MCAT 2 months ago and made a 38? You wouldn't be trolling would you now? :rolleyes:

Yea, I did.... I was actually talking to one of my frat bros about that too. I had some really bad situations happen right after that. My momz died of cancer which really took alot out of me being that I was the only one working to help her get by, then my lady had a child. At that time I was in no shape to endure med school or not much of anything else. So I worked in a research lab for a year and got myself back together. I withdrew from the application process and wasted alot of money. So before u get on here running that mouth, you should investigate matters, but I see how u could take that for someone being phony... But it's all good, Got 8 interviews for now and applied to 15 schools. Stanford (MD/PHD),Yale(MD/PHD),Georgetown,Tulane,Wayne State,UCLA, Wake Forest(MD/PHD),Univ of Iowa,LSU-NO,Temple, Univ of Michigan(MD/PHD), St.Louis,Univ of Washington,Univ of Flordia, Univ of Miami. Made a 12VR,12PS,14BS. When I spoke with my frat (2006)I scored a 32 that year with a 3.5. I always find it interesting though how those "ice cold bothas" are watched and scrutinized more than any.....

hey i was thinkin about joining a black fraternity...but it looks like it takes up so much time though? any advice?

Yea, it will if you let it. I think its a very good expercience. Alot of people get there rocks off on the whole hazing thing, and they miss the whole point of the brotherhood part of it. Me personally, when I crossed I started out as the sec. then the next year was elected V.P., then pres the following year. My grades never really dropped, and it gave me an outlet from studying all the time. I cant speak for other frats but with Alpha if you go to the national convention, it presents a great networking opportunity and you meet alot of other premeds from different states and you can share ur "war stories". Plus 60% of black doctors are Alphas. It definitely adds to make you more well rounded and "cultivated". Go for it man!!! you have to have balance in your life. "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy"

I always find it interesting though how those "ice cold bothas" are watched and scrutinized more than any.....
If that's in reference to me my post had nothing to do with you being an "ice cold brotha," and everything to do with the fact that your past post was very sketchy. Like I said earlier, I'm always excited to see other black greeks attempting to get into the profession, bickering with someone cause they joined a different club in college has never been my m.o.
hey i was thinkin about joining a black fraternity...but it looks like it takes up so much time though? any advice?
If you want to join, do it. If you do not, don't. It can be time consuming when coupled with other obligations though. I'm involved in a barrage of other activities on campus so I actually had to step down as VP so I could focus on other things.

Wassup fellas! It is good to see this thread alive and kicking again. It is also good to see some fellow Divine 9 members. I myself am a Sigma. Let's make sure that we are all supporting each other, because there aren't too many of us doing what we are doing. So we have to stick together and help each other so we can help our community. How is everybody's process going? Mine is slow, no invites yet but I know that my time is coming. God bless!

Wassup fellas! It is good to see this thread alive and kicking again. It is also good to see some fellow Divine 9 members. I myself am a Sigma. Let's make sure that we are all supporting each other, because there aren't too many of us doing what we are doing. So we have to stick together and help each other so we can help our community. How is everybody's process going? Mine is slow, no invites yet but I know that my time is coming. God bless!

Exactly, I believe my top choice had 2 black males total in its class last year. So theres no valid reason to add in extra ways to further dissociate themselves from each other.

Exactly, I believe my top choice had 2 black males total in its class last year. So theres no valid reason to add in extra ways to further dissociate themselves from each other.

It's crazy to see how few black men there are in medical school. It is a problem, for real. It's actually sad....... My best friend is the only in a class of about 200! :scared:

Yea, I know, u know what they say about us sadly. Either we locked up or dead. But that's bull****. Cause what about cats that are striving to be great. we the cream of the crop fellas, I hope yall understand that. I was reading a tread earlier about sistas no no one to date in med school. It's a shame. They go out and date Asians, white guys, and others it really is sad that we are soo scarce in the field. Why yall think not many brothas want to go into medicine??

It's crazy to see how few black men there are in medical school. It is a problem, for real. It's actually sad....... My best friend is the only in a class of about 200! :scared:

It is sad, this really isn't the place for me to get on my soapbox about the black males of our day but I really wish more would get their act together.

Yea, I know, u know what they say about us sadly. Either we locked up or dead. But that's bull****. Cause what about cats that are striving to be great. we the cream of the crop fellas, I hope yall understand that. I was reading a tread earlier about sistas no no one to date in med school. It's a shame. They go out and date Asians, white guys, and others it really is sad that we are soo scarce in the field. Why yall think not many brothas want to go into medicine??

Its not just medicine, its productive careers in general. 80% of the black males I know are "tryin to get this music thang goin." Theres nothing wrong with that per se but I just wish more would be pragmatic about their life decisions. Alot of people like to blame the media and "white people" for many of our shortcomings but it doesn't help that more than just a few are perpetuating those stereotypes every day.

Yea, I did.... I was actually talking to one of my frat bros about that too. I had some really bad situations happen right after that. My momz died of cancer which really took alot out of me being that I was the only one working to help her get by, then my lady had a child. At that time I was in no shape to endure med school or not much of anything else. So I worked in a research lab for a year and got myself back together. I withdrew from the application process and wasted alot of money. So before u get on here running that mouth, you should investigate matters, but I see how u could take that for someone being phony... But it's all good, Got 8 interviews for now and applied to 15 schools. Stanford (MD/PHD),Yale(MD/PHD),Georgetown,Tulane,Wayne State,UCLA, Wake Forest(MD/PHD),Univ of Iowa,LSU-NO,Temple, Univ of Michigan(MD/PHD), St.Louis,Univ of Washington,Univ of Flordia, Univ of Miami. Made a 12VR,12PS,14BS. When I spoke with my frat (2006)I scored a 32 that year with a 3.5. I always find it interesting though how those "ice cold bothas" are watched and scrutinized more than any.....

38? omg...med skools will be SALIVATING over you...please keep us filled in!

Bump. Whats going on fellas! How is the process coming along? I myself have an interview on 11/15 at CDU/UCLA. God is good all the time!

Bump. Whats going on fellas! How is the process coming along? I myself have an interview on 11/15 at CDU/UCLA. God is good all the time!

Here's sending some good vibes along the way for you. I know you are going to get in and Howard is not far behind in offering you an interview. Keep strong, take a deep breath because you are going to be a doctor. :thumbup:

yea wat the hell is going on? i kno of only 1 blk male that is applying from my school, and i go 2 a major public school...i cant share my stories w ne1! but SDN hahah

interviews at jefferson, pitt, umd, vandy, pritzker, washu, yale, usc, uva, hopkins, penn, temple, emory, nyu, michigan, and uva!!!

yea wat the hell is going on? i kno of only 1 blk male that is applying from my school, and i go 2 a major public school...i cant share my stories w ne1! but SDN hahah

interviews at jefferson, pitt, umd, vandy, pritzker, washu, yale, usc, uva, hopkins, penn, temple, emory, nyu, michigan, and uva!!!

Congrats on the interviews bro. May God bless you with all of your hearts desires.

Maybe we might cross paths at Pitt. Hope all of these go well for you. My biggest one is coming up next, Harvard. You knock them dead bro.

Congrats on the interviews bro. May God bless you with all of your hearts desires.

You knock your's out of the park too. I know you have one coming up soon. Anyone seen the sista's thread???:eek: