Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a African-American female pre-med student whose is a second year biology major. Does Howard University College of Medicine produce primary care physicians and surgeons (I want to be a neurosurgeon)? Does anyone know anyone that goes to Howard University College of Medicine that is interested in primary care? What is the average GPA and MCAT scores to get accepted in Howard University College of Medicine?

I am a Vascular Surgeon that is an alum of Howard University College of Medicine. I have many classmates who are surgeons of all types from CT to Neuro. Another Howard alum is Edward Cornwell, III chief of Trauma Surgery at Johns Hopkins University.

You can look up the GPA/MCAT averages from websites that compile such information and you can check out the website of HUCM for more information.

I had a blast at Howard and Howard U College of Medicine produces every type of physician, primary care or otherwise.

Glad to have you on our positive thread!

Members don't see this ad.

Does Howard University College of Medicine produce primary care physicians and surgeons (I want to be a neurosurgeon)?
Man I think I posted the post you quoted, 2 years ago with my other, retired username?

Anyway, welcome to our thread and check SDN for the many current Howard med students on the boards.:thumbup:

I was wondering if I could get some of the great advice that has been shared in this forum for the past few years.

I am a doctoral student (Neuroscience), defending my thesis in about 4 months. I am planning to take the April 2007 MCAT and I will be applying to Med school this summer. I have been looking for paid positions that would utilize my skills as a scientist, but would also give me some clinical experience, and a chance to do some clinical research. I have the opportunity to accept a job with an academic clinical trial group assisting with the requirements necessary to obtain waiver of implied consent to increase the number of participants enrolled in the study (I would be a liason between the community members and the trial coordinators, educating the community and consulting with the trial coordinators, as well as IRB officials). I really admire the goals of the study and the implications of its success, particularly for the underserved minority populations. I have always loved medicine, and I want not only to practice medicine, but I also want to play a role in increasing access to medical care and getting more effective, low-cost treatments to these patients to prevent further disease and to treat existing conditions for which there arer no current treatments.

The position that I am interested in seems to satisfy many of those needs, however, the study director would like me to start the job in Janyary 2007. I was hoping to start a job in April or May after I have defended my dissertation and taken the MCAT, however, I now have the dilemma of this additional responsibility that will most likely interfere with my preparation for the MCAT (I planned to start the Princeton Review MCAT course in January). The initial time commitment would be minimal, 10hours per week, until min-Feb, and then the time commitment would increase to 15-20hours in late Feb-March and then increase to a full time position in April-May. Although this by itself is not much, in combination with writing my dissertation, finishing up my last paper, planning a wedding (for July 1st), and studying for and doing well on the MCAT, I don't see how it can be done. I would have to decide between taking this job, which would give me great experrience in the workings of clinical trials research and community/public health and policy, and taking the MCAT.

My question is, do you think that it would be worthwhile to take this job, and put off taking the MCAT and applying to Med school for another year (entering in August 2009)? Or, should I reject the offer and look for a job that would start in April or May when I have much less stress? I know that in some ways, having a PhD may be seen as a lack of commitment to medicine, do you think that this job will take me further away from my goal?

It's crazy, because I was praying a lot about getting any offers for a position in a clinical research group, and now that I have an opportunity, I am scared out of my pants!! By the way, I am 27 years old.

Thanks for your input!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if I could get some of the great advice that has been shared in this forum for the past few years.

I am a doctoral student (Neuroscience), defending my thesis in about 4 months. I am planning to take the April 2007 MCAT and I will be applying to Med school this summer. I have been looking for paid positions that would utilize my skills as a scientist, but would also give me some clinical experience, and a chance to do some clinical research. I have the opportunity to accept a job with an academic clinical trial group assisting with the requirements necessary to obtain waiver of implied consent to increase the number of participants enrolled in the study (I would be a liason between the community members and the trial coordinators, educating the community and consulting with the trial coordinators, as well as IRB officials). I really admire the goals of the study and the implications of its success, particularly for the underserved minority populations. I have always loved medicine, and I want not only to practice medicine, but I also want to play a role in increasing access to medical care and getting more effective, low-cost treatments to these patients to prevent further disease and to treat existing conditions for which there arer no current treatments.

The position that I am interested in seems to satisfy many of those needs, however, the study director would like me to start the job in Janyary 2007. I was hoping to start a job in April or May after I have defended my dissertation and taken the MCAT, however, I now have the dilemma of this additional responsibility that will most likely interfere with my preparation for the MCAT (I planned to start the Princeton Review MCAT course in January). The initial time commitment would be minimal, 10hours per week, until min-Feb, and then the time commitment would increase to 15-20hours in late Feb-March and then increase to a full time position in April-May. Although this by itself is not much, in combination with writing my dissertation, finishing up my last paper, planning a wedding (for July 1st), and studying for and doing well on the MCAT, I don't see how it can be done. I would have to decide between taking this job, which would give me great experrience in the workings of clinical trials research and community/public health and policy, and taking the MCAT.

My question is, do you think that it would be worthwhile to take this job, and put off taking the MCAT and applying to Med school for another year (entering in August 2009)? Or, should I reject the offer and look for a job that would start in April or May when I have much less stress? I know that in some ways, having a PhD may be seen as a lack of commitment to medicine, do you think that this job will take me further away from my goal?

It's crazy, because I was praying a lot about getting any offers for a position in a clinical research group, and now that I have an opportunity, I am scared out of my pants!! By the way, I am 27 years old.

Thanks for your input!!!

It looks like you are going to have "more than a full plate" even if you do not take this great job offer. I would caution you to give the MCAT a wide berth because you only want to take this important exam one time (and score well) so figure plenty of study and practice time into your plans. Make sure that you have a solid study plan and that you systematically prepare for this exam. I took the MCAT right after my defense and while I was working on revisions. It took dedicated preparation but in the end, it was worth the time. Be sure that you can give this exam the time that it deserves. (Having more test dates each year should help you plan the best date and study schedule for yourself).

Having a Ph.D does not "seem as a lack of commitment to medicine". Your Ph.D actually does not affect your "commitment to medicine" one way or the other. If you feel that you want to get some solid research experience under your belt before you apply to medical school, then it would seem that you have been presented with a great opportunity. Unless you fall completely in love with this job and never want to attend medical school, I cannot see where this job would affect your committment to medicine. It seems to me that this job will enhance your committement to medicine as well as give you the experience that you need in clinical research.

If it takes you an extra year to fit everything and get everything in that you need to finish, then take that extra year. The important thing in the whole medical school process is success. If extra time brings success rather than rushing through with mediocre results, then the extra time is well worth it.

Plot your goals with each timeline and choose the one that YOU believe will give you the optimum results. You have plenty of time (age certainly isn't a problem for you) and you have some great opportunities that will keep you moving toward your goal as a physician-scientist. Also, do not overlook the contacts that you will make as you work on your research. Mine have been invaluable to my career.

Good luck and welcome to our positive thread. Glad to have you posting here. :thumbup: The absence of fear does not guarantee success. Everyone has some fear as they move out of the comfort zone of being a student into the professional realms. As someone said, "Courage is not the absence of fear" so use your fear to spur to your achieving excellence. It looks like you are well on your way!

Thank you for those kind words of wisdom!! I was hoping that you would respond to my message. I guess that I have become fearful because it turns out that this job may postpone my desire to begin medical school for just that much longer. This is my 6th year in my doctoral program and for about 4 years I have been fighting the urge to leave the program and enter medical school, since I know that I am not interested in pursuing a career in basic laboratory research. I guess I also worry that postponing Med school for another year will jeapordize my ability to apply (starting a family, time constraints of the job, and who knows what else). The problem with this reasoning is that this job (although patient contact would be minimal) would give me an excellent opportunity make some important contacts in addition to the benefits that I previously mentioned. I have already begun brainstorming ideas for this job, even though the responsibities for this position are not clearly defined (I am excited about the possibilities!). Also, if my desire to become a clinician is as strong as I think it is, then I will forge forward in any circumstance. If the desire fades, then it may not have been a true desire in the first place, which I know is not true in my case. I agree with you, I will continue to press on toward the goal, and use this opportunity to gain more experience, and give myself the necessary space and time to prepare for the exam. Thank you again for your response!!

;0)

Hello everyone!!
Thanks lpressley130, I try to be as positive as I can even when it hurts! :)
I will love to share my opinion on the EK series studying. Good luck to all who are preparing for finals and such!! :thumbup: Just remember that God will be everything you need just ask. :love:

Hello everyone!!
Thanks lpressley130, I try to be as positive as I can even when it hurts! :)
I will love to share my opinion on the EK series studying. Good luck to all who are preparing for finals and such!! :thumbup: Just remember that God will be everything you need just ask. :love:

Hey Sistanik,
Here's sending your some positive vibes to finish that Organic strong and do well on the finals!

*sends positive vibes and a :thumbup: *

Stay strong! You never get more than you can handle. Anything that doesn't kill you, makes your stronger and anything good comes with toil. :thumbup:

Thanks Njbmd! I really appreciate the uplifting you sent my way. I am just so glad this is almost over. Thank God. Well I am on my way home to set up my schedule to study for the finals. :thumbup:

hello all,
i am new to this thread, although i have been lurking for some time. after seeing all the positive words of wisdom, i have decided to begin posting. i just graduated this past june with a 2.8 GPA. i did research while in school and got a job as an asst. scientist in a pharmaceutical company in the chicago area. well that job did not work out and i am now in the process of applying to a couple of postbacc programs (uconn, loyola, northwestern and cahmcp). i have also been looking for ways to gain more clinical experience (i havent had any since high school), but i am having some difficulty because i am not in a position to commit to anything due to the possibility of my husband's job relocation (we won't have much notice or choice since he is the one supporting us although i work too). i am just feeling really lost in this whole process. medicine has been something i wanted to do since i was little, and college was just a mess (which is sad because my low gpa is not due to partying). i was hoping/wondering if someone would be willing to mentor me. i feel like i have an idea of what needs to be done, but i also feel like i am wasting time and i could really use some direction, advice, and someone to bounce ideas of off. thanks

hello all,
i am new to this thread, although i have been lurking for some time. after seeing all the positive words of wisdom, i have decided to begin posting. i just graduated this past june with a 2.8 GPA. i did research while in school and got a job as an asst. scientist in a pharmaceutical company in the chicago area. well that job did not work out and i am now in the process of applying to a couple of postbacc programs (uconn, loyola, northwestern and cahmcp). i have also been looking for ways to gain more clinical experience (i havent had any since high school), but i am having some difficulty because i am not in a position to commit to anything due to the possibility of my husband's job relocation (we won't have much notice or choice since he is the one supporting us although i work too). i am just feeling really lost in this whole process. medicine has been something i wanted to do since i was little, and college was just a mess (which is sad because my low gpa is not due to partying). i was hoping/wondering if someone would be willing to mentor me. i feel like i have an idea of what needs to be done, but i also feel like i am wasting time and i could really use some direction, advice, and someone to bounce ideas of off. thanks

Welcome to our positive thread! Glad to have you posting and pursuing your dreams. Anyone here will be glad to mentor you. Check out some posters and send a PM if you don't want to do the public message-board thing. We all need some encouragement along the way. Again, welcome!

Hey ladies,

Sorry it has been a while since I last posted, but just wanted to see how everyone is doing. I'm doing fine..just work work and finals next week:) I cannot wait for winter break!! It's going to be wonderful having just work and no school to worry about! On a side note, I had this nightmare last night that I got rejections from all the schools I applied to and I was drowning in rejection letters:( So, my day didn't start off very well today although it was only a bad dream.

I did just get back from an interview though, and it didnt go well at all! I was nearly in tears when I said goodbye to my interviewer. I just had this horrible feeling that I lost the interest of my interviewer half way through and couldn't turn it around. Anyhoo, thats my bummer story for the week. I'm excited to finally get a Christmas tree for the house..yay:)

Hey ladies,

Sorry it has been a while since I last posted, but just wanted to see how everyone is doing. I'm doing fine..just work work and finals next week:) I cannot wait for winter break!! It's going to be wonderful having just work and no school to worry about! On a side note, I had this nightmare last night that I got rejections from all the schools I applied to and I was drowning in rejection letters:( So, my day didn't start off very well today although it was only a bad dream.

I did just get back from an interview though, and it didnt go well at all! I was nearly in tears when I said goodbye to my interviewer. I just had this horrible feeling that I lost the interest of my interviewer half way through and couldn't turn it around. Anyhoo, thats my bummer story for the week. I'm excited to finally get a Christmas tree for the house..yay:)

You know, anxiety has a way of wrecking your subconscious mind so that you dream all sorts of things that are just dreams. Dreams are your mind playing out all sorts of scenarios that you have no control over. Sometimes dreams are just a way of letting you know that you have too much anxiety built up and you need to do some serious "releasing" maneuvers like a light movie (nothing about medicine) or a good workout that involves pumping iron.

Don't put too much into your impressions of your interview. First of all, you are far to emotionally involved to take an objective view of the way things went and most of the time, interviews go far better than you remember as you are rewinding the whole day. The stress of the interview ramped up your anxiety meter and it resulted in a nightmare that further unnerved you. This is easier said than done but put the interview behind you and try not think the worst.

Everyone is nervous on a medical school interview and my guess is that you were no worse than anyone else interviewing that day. If they invited you for the interview, they are interested in accepting you and the interview is only to make sure that you are not a paranoid anti-social schizophrenic with no verbal communication skills. Interviews are not for weeding out candidates. You already made it through the weedout by getting the interview in the first place.

If you were in tears, it is likely that your passion for what you want to accomplish with your life and medical career was showing. You made it through and you showed that interviewer that you have passionate feelings. Not a bad combination for a physician. I am sure that you are going to hear some good news. Throw yourself into the holidays and celebrate making it through finals (which you will do). Glad to hear from you.

Thank you NJBMD. Yes, you're completely right. I have been so stressed out about this process even more so now that I will be hearing back from schools soon. But really, thank you for your encouragement. I really need to channel this energy elsewhere so I'm going hiking this weekend:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone! Hope interviews, classes, jobs, residencies, ect are going well for everyone!!! Anyone else looking forward to Christmas this year? I am and my yearly splurge on chitterlings (or is that chit'lins???:confused: ):D

Hi ladies,

It's been a while. I'm caught up in studying for the MCAT, my PhD qualifier and lab work all at the same time. If it were possible to take time off for the MCAT preparation, I would. But since I have a good 7 months of preparation ahead of me I'm pacing myself and making stride. Special thanks to jsnuka for the materials which have helped greatly and to Nbjmd for great general support and advice!

Jan-May I'd like to start shadowing doctors in different settings, so if you're a doc (or know a doc) working in the DC/VA/MD area, please do PM me! I am mostly free on weekends, so I'd love to have this experience.

~GraC

Hey Taiken0518!

Have you thought about becoming an EMT? This is a great opportunity to get clinical experience, and you can take it anywhere you're planning to go. You would need to take a class (120 hrs) and the National registry exam and you're set! There may be a couple of extra hoops to jump through depending on the county/state that you move to, but it just might be an option for you. I took the class in the summer (evenings) and I plan to work part time in the Emergency room in April after the MCAT and my thesis defense. The good thing about this is that if you do it part time, it works out to one 24 hour shift per week, which you can do on the weekends while working a full time job, or school. You can work with an ambulance co. and run 911 calls, or work as an Emergency department technician, a great chance to shadow docs and experience a variety different conditions. I wish you all the best!

Hey guys what's up. I got a question for you. I registered with amcas to get my username and password so that I can access the page that shows sites offering the test but I can't remember my username. Can I just re-register or should I call them. I was trying to view the testing site page so that I can try and pick a 1st choice 2nd choice in advance but you can't get to the page w/o using the username and password. Can anyone help me?

Hey guys what's up. I got a question for you. I registered with amcas to get my username and password so that I can access the page that shows sites offering the test but I can't remember my username. Can I just re-register or should I call them. I was trying to view the testing site page so that I can try and pick a 1st choice 2nd choice in advance but you can't get to the page w/o using the username and password. Can anyone help me?

If you attempt to re-register, your old name might pop up so you can use it (especially if it is linked to something like SSN). If not, send an e-mail (or call) outlining that you are having trouble with registration and they will re-set your info. If that doesn't work, get a new username and password. I certainly understand losing passwords and usernames.

One of the things that I learned to do was keep a running list sites, URLs, usernames and passwords for everything in medicine. Back when I was applying for residency, I had to register with NBME, ERAS and keep track of my USMLE numbers. That's when I put all of my numbers, passwords and URLs on a sheet (actually a large index card) and I keep constantly updating them as needed.

If you start now, you will be ahead of the game. If I had to find my old AMCAS ID number, I would be lost.

Thanks njbmd. I was just saying that I need to keep a track of all passwords and usernames. I will try to contact them before I re-reg b/c when you re-reg I think that you put in your info which will identify me with my existing info. So I don't want to start screwing up already.
Talk to you guys later.

hi ladies, i'm inflitrating your thread for a brief seconds... my boys have nothing interesting to say....

yeah the EMT idea is pretty good... provided you can manage a few shifts around your education...

EMT and PARAMEDIC is different... PARA do a little more and get paid a little more but the training is also more.... I think its about a year long....

Had a friend I went to PA school with who was a EMT and then a PARAMEDIC before going to PA school....

Hi all,

I'm just dropping in to say "Hello." Praise the Lord, I am almost done with with my first semester of my second year (wooohoooo!!!!), and soon I'll be going on vacation. I'll be heading to sunny Miami, and then to the Bahamas:cool: .

Second semester is Step I preparation time, and so I know that I'll be quite overwhelmed with that, in addition to the internal exams that I have to take. Nevertheless, the Lord is good to me, and I'm so happy to see myself progressing throughout this journey. My life has changed so much since I began medical school, and I know that is is because God has faithfully watched over me. What a blessing this all is, indeed!

Anyhow, I pray that you will all remain blessed, and that you will have a wonderful Christmas and New Year.

semper,

docj :love:

Hello everyone!! Hope everyone's having a good day. I will be officially done with Orgo I in another day after my final exam!! Whooo Whoooo!!!!:D
Hey there Docjolly sounds like med school is going great for you. Keep holding on and pressing through to the end!
I hope and pray that you all will have a wonderful, prosperous, and safe holiday season.
Sistahnik:love:

Hello Ladies!! I'm dropping by to share that I just got my second interview invite this morning from University of Florida!!! I'm soo excited. :D The Lord is truly good and continues to order each of our steps. Good luck to all of those still moving through this medical school process and Happy Holidays to all!!!:luck: :luck:

Hello Ladies!! I'm dropping by to share that I just got my second interview invite this morning from University of Florida!!! I'm soo excited. :D The Lord is truly good and continues to order each of our steps. Good luck to all of those still moving through this medical school process and Happy Holidays to all!!!:luck: :luck:

Hey Congratulations there Lady Bison! Great that things are rolling for you. Hope the holidays go great.

DocJolly: Great to hear from you. Old second year is winding down fast and soon you will be out on the wards doing your clerkship. Keep your strong faith because it will get you through. PM me when you are done with classes and are starting to study for USMLE. I got loads of tips for this one!

hello. anybody here from south carolina or applying to south carolina? i would love to chat. [email protected] or myspace name taekwondo byrd
im male btw

Hey I'm from SC. I sent you an email. :)

hello again everybody
happy holidays and i hope finals went well for everyone.

i am in need of some advice. i am in the process of applying to loyola, northwestern, and uconn postbaccs. i have a 2.8 overall GPA, had AP bio credit, and took general chem, inorganic chem, and organic. i also live in the chicagoland area. what i am wondering is, if i should apply to the uconn program (the full year minority program). the original reason why i decided to go ahead and apply was because i figured that if i got in my husband and i would figure out a way for me to attend, even if it meant living separately for up to a year. now i am starting to think this may not be such a good idea because i dont know how i would support myself without him, how i would get around, and we have never been separated for that long. so should i continue to apply to uconn? the other two postbaccs are in my area, and if i dont get in i can always be a second degree student at loyola or northwestern. i would appreciate any advice you can give.

Hi Ladies,
I haven't stopped by for a while, but just wanted to say hi to everyone. Taking a break from studying neuro. Hope everyone will have a great holiday break (I only have about 10days before school starts again!). Good luck to those that are in the application process and for those of us in med school going through exams.

Hi Ladies,
I haven't stopped by for a while, but just wanted to say hi to everyone. Taking a break from studying neuro. Hope everyone will have a great holiday break (I only have about 10days before school starts again!). Good luck to those that are in the application process and for those of us in med school going through exams.
You must be on a quarter system? I don't go back until Jan(semester system), and I can't wait! I have Neuropharm next Spring!

hello again everybody
happy holidays and i hope finals went well for everyone.

i am in need of some advice. i am in the process of applying to loyola, northwestern, and uconn postbaccs. i have a 2.8 overall GPA, had AP bio credit, and took general chem, inorganic chem, and organic. i also live in the chicagoland area. what i am wondering is, if i should apply to the uconn program (the full year minority program). the original reason why i decided to go ahead and apply was because i figured that if i got in my husband and i would figure out a way for me to attend, even if it meant living separately for up to a year. now i am starting to think this may not be such a good idea because i dont know how i would support myself without him, how i would get around, and we have never been separated for that long. so should i continue to apply to uconn? the other two postbaccs are in my area, and if i dont get in i can always be a second degree student at loyola or northwestern. i would appreciate any advice you can give.

Why not try the SIU post bacc program?

I think that there's has a reciprocity agreement or some sort of hookup with a number of medical schools in the area if not also elsewhere across the nation. In fact, I think that the SIU program guarantees medical school admission.

I do not know how strong your relationship is and od not really want to know, but adding stress to a marraige when it doesn ot needto be there is asking for trouble.

Here is a link to Pre Med Post Baccalaureate Programs http://hpap.syr.edu/LISTPB.HTM

Good luck in your search.:)

Hi ladies,

It's been a while. I'm caught up in studying for the MCAT, my PhD qualifier and lab work all at the same time. If it were possible to take time off for the MCAT preparation, I would. But since I have a good 7 months of preparation ahead of me I'm pacing myself and making stride. Special thanks to jsnuka for the materials which have helped greatly and to Nbjmd for great general support and advice!

Jan-May I'd like to start shadowing doctors in different settings, so if you're a doc (or know a doc) working in the DC/VA/MD area, please do PM me! I am mostly free on weekends, so I'd love to have this experience.

~GraC

You are very welcome. Glad I could be of some help.

Hello everyone! I am soooo happy right now b/c I just finished my last 2 final exams. :clap: :clap: How are you all doing? Hope everyone is enjoying vacation or at least getting ready to do so. Have a great one guys and I'll talk to you later!

Hello there everyone!! Hope you're having a good day!!

Hello ladies,

Just wanted to share my good news with you all that I was accepted for med school today!! I'm really sick right now but extremely happy:) njbmd...thanks for your encouragement. This is actually the same school where I thought I bombed the interview. Hope everyone did great on finals and happy holidays:D

Hello Ladies!!! I'm also dropping through to let everyone know that I just received my acceptance letter from Howard today:D . Happy holidays to all and to those in this application cycle good luck!:luck: :luck:

You must be on a quarter system? I don't go back until Jan(semester system), and I can't wait! I have Neuropharm next Spring!

Actually started med school late august, and have 1 more final (neuro in 7hrs) and then our 10 day break starts :( :(

bball25: CONGRATS!!!!! Plan your time wisely and really try to enjoy your free time as much as possible!!!

Actually started med school late august, and have 1 more final (neuro in 7hrs) and then our 10 day break starts :( :(
I have another friend in med school that averages about 1 week in between exam blocks. Yikes!:eek:

And congrats to everyone accepted this year!:thumbup:

Congrats you 2 (polycon7 and bball25) and any others that we will hear from!! Those acceptances are wonderful christmas presents from the Lord!! :D :clap:

Happy holidays to you all. Well I received a C- in Orgo and while I'm not happy about it, I am glad that I didn't fail it. Now I'm just trying to decide if I should wait until the summer and retake Orgo I then do II in the second half of the summer or I could continue on with the Orgo series and take II in the winter semester coming up. Not really sure what I should do here b/c the rxns were my biggest downfall and if I'm not wrong, II is all about rxns and I'm not sure if someone weak in I will survive II. If someone has some advice please help. Have a good week guys!!:)

Hi ladies! HAPPY HOLIDAYS! I hope everyone had/is having a chill and relaxing break! I'm thoroughly enjoying my time at home and having all of my family around.

One semester down... 7 to go! Tee hee hee.

Congratulations to all those who have received acceptances and good luck to all those who are waiting!

Hello ladies!! I just checked my grades for this semester...all A's!!:D I'm really excited. Now I'm just waiting for a couple more interviews and acceptances.:thumbup:

it has been awhile since i lasted posted, but i hope everyone had a happy holiday. and congratulations to all of those who had wonderful semesters and received acceptances.
i have been very busy myself, preparing applications to several postbaccs. i decided not to apply to the uconn postbacc because it isnt feasible, but i also decided to apply to siu's medprep program (thanks for the suggestion jsnuka). i was wondering if anyone would be willing to read through my app (there are a couple of essay type questions) to see if my points are coming across clearly. just pm me and i will email it to you and many thanks to you.

sistahnik, i would suggest retaking orgo I before you take orgo II. i could be wrong, but i would imagine you would continue to struggle if you did not have a good understanding of the concepts you learned in orgo I. or perhaps there is a way that you could get an orgo workbook to work on this semester, audit the class or get with someone who is taking the class during the winter semester so that you could get more practice with rxns, and then take orgo II during the summer. i hope that helps:)

Thanks taiken0518, that's what I was going to do. My friend took the same professor for Orgo II and said that I should take Orgo II now because he teaches the rxns in more detail. I wasn't too sure about doing this because it could backfire and I don't wanna have to repeat both of them. Anyways, I'm still trying to figure out a plan here. Thanks again!! Happy holidays everyone. :)

Thanks taiken0518, that's what I was going to do. My friend took the same professor for Orgo II and said that I should take Orgo II now because he teaches the rxns in more detail. I wasn't too sure about doing this because it could backfire and I don't wanna have to repeat both of them. Anyways, I'm still trying to figure out a plan here. Thanks again!! Happy holidays everyone. :)

Sistahnik:

Hey, how are you? I trust all is well with you and yours. It has been a long time. I am well, just BUSY.

In regards to your Organic situation, I have some questions for you. you can either answer to yourself, PM me, or post it up here...your choice.

Do you KNOW what it is that you do not know?

Do you understand what was going on in the class i.e. can you visualize the reactions in your head? (e.g. if given the reactants can you resonably predict the products with the assorted cofactors that may partake in the reaction?)

Did you have a lot going on that may have taken you away from studying for this course? If so, do you know how to better organize things so that "the first things come first"?

Do you understand how your teacher makes his/her test? (if it is at all possible ask the teacher or ask an upperclassmen for copies of the old tests so that you can see how the questiosn are asked and prepare your self accordingly.)

I will end the questions there. Lastly, do not let a "C" discourage you. just do not make a career out of getting "C"s.:D

Catch you l8r.

man i've missed this place tremendously but i see this post is holding it down still. i've been looking for this forum since i've went down to school and couldn't find it. i hope everyone is doin well and good luck to everyone who is waiting for admission letters and so forth. i finished my first semester at spelman ( psych pre med) w/ a 3.5 and received a b- in bio. i was a little upset about the grade but i just have to keep my faith and work a little harder i guess. i was wondering does anyone have any tips on preparing for exams and taking notes. thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.