Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for a bit of advice. I plan on taking my mcat and applying in the spring. my gpa is solid at 3.8, so really right now my focus is on making sure my extracurriculars are lined up. I've done shadowing, participated in an intensive summer program, I'm a student athlete, I've held down a job my entire college career, and my plans are to do some research over the summer as well as maybe a little bit during my senior year depending on wether or not a professor of mine gets his lab going. So basically I'm wondering if my ec's are fine, or if I should look for other ways to improve them. I'm really stumped as far as coming up with anything else to do!

Like I advised bball above, being a student athlete and keeping such a high GPA makes you pretty competitive. Couple that with a solid MCAT score and you should be fine with what you have already. If you have a bit of extra time (and I don't know where you would have this), mentor a kid or group of kids. It can be a simple as shootings some hoops after church and talking about doing well in school and athletics or discussing playing baseball and keeping your grades high or how your athletic training keeps you disciplined.

If your professor gets his lab going fine but I believe that you are going to be competitive without the research if your MCAT is good. Put your energy there, hang with the extracurriculars that you already have and continue with your plans to apply next spring. You should be fine. Congratulations on the great GPA and being an athlete at the same time. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

hey youngnflyy, we seem to be in the same boat.. i'm also a student athlete taking the MCAT in the spring... I'd say that we both have a pretty good chance because, like the above poster said, being able to balance school, sports and a job is pretty impressive, and schools would be crazy not to accept you! good luck on your journey!

Thanks a lot for all of the encouragment. Hopefully I'll be able to pull a good score on my mcat this spring. Really I'm just ready to get the whole process going and over with.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got into MED SCHOOL @ MUSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank-you Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love: Sisters, we can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

I got into MED SCHOOL @ MUSC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank-you Jesus!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love: Sisters, we can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:love:

Congrats!!!:thumbup:

Congratulations sistah!!! :D God is good isn't he.

Thanks everyone!!!! I PRAISE GOD for everything!!!!!!:love:

Yo what up im a pre-med major. I attend ULM thats in monroe, la. im from houma, la. I im abotu 3/4's finish with just about all of my pre-reqs. i should be applying by next year. ANd of course im brotha lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Whats up my future fellow Black Docs,

Could anyone tell me what Meharry's interview is like? Is it a panel?....Oh yeah, is anyone interviewing this month?

:thumbup: Hey there PHD_2007!! congrats on the acceptance.:)

Could anyone tell me what Meharry's interview is like? Is it a panel?....Oh yeah, is anyone interviewing this month?

Send a PM shoutout to doctajay or alphaholic. I think that both of those folks interviewed at Meharry this year. Also our sistas, docjolly and ayznshorti are presently students there so a couple of others to PM also. :thumbup:

Wonderful!!! Congratulations and God Bless You as you become a doctor!!

hello everyone, what's going on? Just wanted to check in and see how everyone was doing and what you all are doing. I should be going over my SN1/2 reactions and chair conformations for that exam tomorrow, but heh you know how it is! :rolleyes: We have so much to study for this coming exam :scared: :confused: Anyways, just waisting time until study group starts. ;) Much love to you all. :love:

Hey all,

I am currently applying to med schools. Do any students in medical school have any comments on chances of black females getting into medical school and what schools may be really trying to recruit? Any other advice about differences we may encounter?

I have an interview there on Friday!!! Anyone else going to be there on the 18th?

congrats lil1gigglez! :thumbup:
Welcome senioritaelena

I am so excited, I got accepted to UTSW. All I can do at this point is thank God.

I am so excited, I got accepted to UTSW. All I can do at this point is thank God.

Wow! Great news and congratulations. It's going to be a great year for my brothas and sisters coming into the profession. Strong work!!!

Congrats nene1985 on the acceptance!! Great job.:thumbup:

I got into SUNY Buffalo!!! :eek:

Congrats PHD and nene on your acceptances! :)

Congrats lil1gigglez - Buffalo puts out some strong docs... two of my friends graduated from there, one is an internist at BU and the other an ob/gyn at Rochester! :)

Thanks for all the congrats and congrats to everyone else who has been accepted.

Its been a while ladies..how is everyone? Just dropping through to say hello and to encourage those applying this year to keep the faith. We are overcomers ladies. Congrats to those already on their way as well.

Its been a while ladies..how is everyone? Just dropping through to say hello and to encourage those applying this year to keep the faith. We are overcomers ladies. Congrats to those already on their way as well.

Hope you have a good season too! Study hard and play strong! Thank's for checking in. :thumbup:

Hello everyone!! Have a happy and blessed thanksgiving.:love:

Hey all,
I hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving!!!!!!!! I got into my 1st medical school choice ~George Washington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!:love:

Congrats PhD...that's a great school. Good luck with everything!
Anyone in med school already? Any advise for those of us heading your way next year?!

Hey all,
I hope everyone had a Great Thanksgiving!!!!!!!! I got into my 1st medical school choice ~George Washington!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so excited!!!!:love:

Congratulations! GW is my graduate alma mater and where I used to teach. Was in DC yesterday to celebrate a friend who just finished her Ph.D. It was good to be back at GW and see all of the changes.

Hey there everyone hope the holiday was good for everyone!!
Congrats again PHD_2007!!

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend. I sure did!! I am thankful for my first interview invite that came from Howard University my alma mater. I'm very excited because I finally feel like this process is getting started. I interview on the 12th. If anyone has any tips or pointers I would greatly appreciate it.

I hope everyone enjoyed their holiday weekend. I sure did!! I am thankful for my first interview invite that came from Howard University my alma mater. I'm very excited because I finally feel like this process is getting started. I interview on the 12th. If anyone has any tips or pointers I would greatly appreciate it.

Congratulations on the interview. I will send you a PM.:thumbup:

hey, ladies! anyone here from south jersey?

Hey there,
From "south" of Jersey but saying "hey" anyway. Glad to have you posting on our little positive thread. Hang out and see that some of our sisters are getting accepted and doing well. Good to have you here!:thumbup:

Hello everyone how is everything going? Orgo is almost done and I am sooo glad!! Have a good one guys.

Hey I forgot to tell you guys that I am almost certain that I am going to self/group study for the MCAT. I have already gotten money from my family to purchase the EK series study package and they are baking me with my plan for med school. I am excited but on the other hand disappointed in my performance in Orgo :( but I will not stop I'm going to keep on trucking until I reach my goal. It's funny how depression always try to set in and the enemy tries to make you focus on the bad stuff, but God has given me so many opportunities to be successful and that's what I'm going to do. That's why I thank Him everyday for life and for giving me the ability through Him to achieve. Thank You Jesus!! :love:

P.S. welcome nursetodoc. Glad to have you here! Enjoy.

Hi Sistahnik:
Keep your positive attitude - it's encouraging to others (like me)! I hope you do well with your studying. I haven't gotten to the point of studying for the MCAT yet. As you go through the EK study materials, can you give us your opinion of that product? Hang in there, girl!

Congratulations on the interview. I will send you a PM.:thumbup:

Thank-you njbmd for all the helpful tips and key points. :thumbup: I will definately get on those things before my interview. Also to everyone also applying in this cycle...again good luck!! :luck:

Thank-you njbmd for all the helpful tips and key points. :thumbup: I will definately get on those things before my interview. Also to everyone also applying in this cycle...again good luck!! :luck:

Yes, it's back to the grind after Thanksgiving. Loads of Christmas Parties happening. Gotta get that last minute shopping done.

Still sitting here waiting for the "deep chill". Those 70 degree days are gone for awhile. Hope everyone is having a great weekend even if it's getting cold.

And these schools tend to serve us very well in the end. Either Harvard or Howard/NIH could be a top choice for me if I get in. I also like UPenn, Hopkins, G'town, Morehouse, Meharry, but I have NO plans to return to the South. I NEED to be around like minded people, and in many ways personal and professional, ANY of these schools could meet my needs just fine. I know Howard has it's "problems" but there's NOTHING in the world like seeing so many people that look just like me with "white coats" on! And I have SDN to really thank for reminding me of just how special the environment at Howard could be! :laugh:

I am a African-American female pre-med student whose is a second year biology major. Does Howard University College of Medicine produce primary care physicians and surgeons (I want to be a neurosurgeon)? Does anyone know anyone that goes to Howard University College of Medicine that is interested in primary care? What is the average GPA and MCAT scores to get accepted in Howard University College of Medicine?

Status
Not open for further replies.