Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lotanna said:
If i dont decide to become a surgeon and spend decades in training yeah :laugh:

This thread rocks, down with the haterz :thumbdown:

Surgeon? Girl, I ain't mad at cha'!!!

So you do the biopsy and send it to me for a Dx. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
lotanna said:
Also pathdr2b i dunno about being a surgeon I mean I'm a youngin technically :p but I dont want my cookies burnin in the oven :D

Two words girlfriend, "WORK THAT"!! I'm personally believe that you can "have it all" but you have to be willing to be happy with everything not being 100%. Even if you NEVER became a surgeon, your life would still not be 100% perfect, so I say go for it! :thumbup:

pathdr2b said:
Surgeon? Girl, I ain't mad at cha'!!!

So you do the biopsy and send it to me for a Dx. :D

I definitely need to get into contact with a black female surgeon. I always wonder about the lifestyle and how marriage, raising children, et cetera play into being in a hospital for 60+ hrs a week.

You know,

It's interesting. Although I love and greatly respect Ben Carson and all that he has gone through, I still, to this day, have not seen a highly respected, well known black female neurosurgeon (or any surgeon, for that matter)...what's up with that?

docjolly said:
You know,

It's interesting. Although I love and greatly respect Ben Carson and all that he has gone through, I still, to this day, have not seen a highly respected, well known black female neurosurgeon (or any surgeon, for that matter)...what's up with that?

Are there any??? :confused:

ndi_amaka said:
I definitely need to get into contact with a black female surgeon. I always wonder about the lifestyle and how marriage, raising children, et cetera play into being in a hospital for 60+ hrs a week.

As optomistic as I try to be, I've never heard of a black female surgeon with a husband and/or kids. However, specialities like OB/Gyn may fulfill that itch to do surgery and I certainily know plenty of them with families.

not sure..but even if they did exist, i'm not so sure that we would hear about them..

docjolly said:
..but even if they did exist, i'm not so sure that we would hear about them..

If one existed it would be absolutely known.

pathdr2b said:
As optomistic as I try to be, I've never heard of a black female surgeon with a husband and/or kids. However, specialities like OB/Gyn may fulfill that itch to do surgery and I certainily know plenty of them with families.

:eek: <~~ @ gyno. I had a harrowing shadowing experience one month ago at a gyno office. There goes that specialty.

docjolly said:
not sure..but even if they did exist, i'm not so sure that we would hear about them..

Hmm...leme do a google search.

docjolly said:

There were a few manybe 2 or 3 that were featured in Ebony a few years ago. Again, neither of these ladies was amrried or had children. I also think it's important to note that Ben carson's wife is a stay at home Mom, I'm pretty sure. You know that saying , NEXT TO every great man is a great woman.............

Members don't see this ad :)
ndi_amaka said:
:eek: <~~ @ gyno. I had a harrowing shadowing experience one month ago at a gyno office. There goes that specialty.

I know what you mean...... Childbirth did it for me! :laugh: :laugh:

pathdr2b said:
I know what you mean...... Childbirth did it for me! :laugh: :laugh:

ouch! why is ob/gyn so bad?? is it the act of seeing a woman give birth that people don't like? (I've never had the experience, so I'm asking out of sheer curiosity..)

Okay ladies, check out this post. BTW, I'd been saying this for YEARS....

If breast cancer at age forty presents with a larger tumor in black women compared to white, it suggests that the cancer has been present longer and has grown larger simply as a matter of time. It would follow that mammogram should begin earlier in black women, when the cancer is smaller. Black women at age 30 should insist of mammogram screening on a yearly basis. Dr ET

Wow...good to see other black females interested in surgery. I too want to be a surgeon. I see myself getting married and having children in my thirties.

docjolly said:
ouch! why is ob/gyn so bad?? is it the act of seeing a woman give birth that people don't like? (I've never had the experience, so I'm asking out of sheer curiosity..)

Giving birth is not as clean and pretty as they make it out to be on TV shows. It's smelly and grosssssssss. Ugh...just the thought. :scared:

docjolly said:

Let me start with the smell of childbirth. :laugh:

princessd3 said:
Wow...good to see other black females interested in surgery. I too want to be a surgeon. I see myself getting married and having children in my thirties.

Just be mindful that pregnancy is much less "predictable" in your 30's. If you have to have a baby in the middle of your training I say go for it and hire a nanny.

Path, when I finish med school I'll be 28 due to a two year pause I mentioned yesterday. I don't know if I want to take a year off then to start a family cause residency will be like seven years (thinking cardio-thoracic surgery). It's really tough to figure out how things are going to play out. I guess right now I'm so driven that I don't really think about marriage and kids yet.

pathdr2b said:

I've met one, cant remember her name, she was an oncologic surgeon, must have been like 40 with a husband and a lil boy!

Hey, I am a first year at howard. I just wanted to put to rest all the concern about the accreditation status of certain programs in the hospital. This was a concern a couple of years ago and when I was applying I asked about it. The hospital administration has been very aggressive in dealing with the problem and all the "redflag" programs (i remember Ob/Gyn was one) seem to be going in the right direction now. In fact we were recently emailed that the accreditation committee has reviewed our residency programs favorably. Here is the email - vague but encouraging:

We are pleased to announce that the Office of Graduate Medical Education at Howard University Hospital has been informed by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME), Institutional Review Committee, that the Hospital has been declared in favorable status for Graduate Medical Education. This agency is responsible for the accreditation of post-MD medical training programs within the United States, and the Institutions in which training takes place. The next Institutional Review will take place in three years time.

The favorable status is based on significant improvement witnessed by the Institutional Review Committee?s last review which took place December 2003, and is a direct result of the collaborative effort of HUH and the Health Sciences communities coming together to achieve this result. The comprehensive undertaking extended to every aspect of the HUH and Health Sciences family.

Congratulations to the HUH Environmental Services Department, the physicians, the Offices of the Vice President of Health Sciences, the Office of Graduate Medical Education, the Offices of the HUH Chief Executive Officer, the College of Medicine and all the department heads, faculty, staff and residents for this tremendous accomplishment for graduate medical education at HUH.

There are many hospitals across the country, affiliated with outstanding medical schools, going through accreditation problems. These problems should not deter you from applying to those schools since it is unlikely to have a big effect on your education as a medical student, unless the program losing accreditation is in one of your core clerkships or your field of interest, however.
Good luck to all of you, and I hope to see some of you at howard very soon. :)

princessd3 said:
Path, when I finish med school I'll be 28 due to a two year pause I mentioned yesterday. I don't know if I want to take a year off then to start a family cause residency will be like seven years (thinking cardio-thoracic surgery). It's really tough to figure out how things are going to play out. I guess right now I'm so driven that I don't really think about marriage and kids yet.

I'll just say this, I'm 37, soon to be remarried, and I'd like to have 2 more kids. I also plan to pursue MD/PhD. Having said that I'd LOVE to be your age and have more "time" because once it's gone, you can't get it back. People ALWAYS fins ways to balance the things that are important to them.

I guess you really have to look at yourself 13 years from now and ask yourself if you'd be OK having the career and man of your dreams but no children. Tough question, I know...........

princessd3 said:
Remember that signature of yours.......

ok remembered her name, she's Dr Lisa Newman, she used to be in charge of Cancer research center at U of Houston. Later moved to Karmanos Cancer Institute in Detroit and is now at the University of Michigan Breast Cancer Center

http://general.um-surgery.org/oncology_newman.htm

hello ladies, I'm a biracial (half black/half asian) female, and seeing all you intelligent black females out there is encouraging. I go to a community college right now, and I know only one other black female that is pre-med. I'm participating in the Summer Medical Education Program at Fisk/Vanderbilt so it'll be nice to meet a lot more pre-med minority students. I'll be a junior this fall at a senior university so I hope I'll be able to find more help that I have been able to receive at my community college, but anyways want to wish all of you good luck in this tough process.

PreMedPoohBear said:
hello ladies, I'm a biracial (half black/half asian) female, and seeing all you intelligent black females out there is encouraging. I go to a community college right now, and I know only one other black female that is pre-med. I'm participating in the Summer Medical Education Program at Fisk/Vanderbilt so it'll be nice to meet a lot more pre-med minority students. I'll be a junior this fall at a senior university so I hope I'll be able to find more help that I have been able to receive at my community college, but anyways want to wish all of you good luck in this tough process.

hey hang in there!! You'll definitely be ahead of the game by the time ur turn rolls around!! :thumbup:

PreMedPoohBear said:
I'm participating in the Summer Medical Education Program at Fisk/Vanderbilt so it'll be nice to meet a lot more pre-med minority students.

This is a great start and I would personally recommend this type of program to all URM's!! Let us know how it goes and good luck!!!!

PreMedPoohBear,

Thank you for your kind, encouraging comments. The process is quite difficult, and coming to SDN isn't always the most comforting, reassuring thing..

I personally don't believe in luck. God is my all and all, and I know that I can't get through this process w/o Him... I will certainly keep you and everyone else on this thread in my prayers..

I know that we can all make it!!!

care bear said:
hi everyone,
i am sort of pre-med. . .started med school this year but left during first semester. (got a job doing research at the school.) anyway, i am going back in august this year and i'm finally getting excited. i think i will like it a lot more this time around! i see a lot of us are from/in the south :) anyone else in NC?
What happened? Did things go wrong?

care bear said:
hi everyone,
i am sort of pre-med. . .started med school this year but left during first semester. (got a job doing research at the school.) anyway, i am going back in august this year and i'm finally getting excited. i think i will like it a lot more this time around! i see a lot of us are from/in the south :) anyone else in NC?

wow! carebear, when did you come back to SDN? i remember when you left a couple of months ago..

it's good to have you back :clap:..but, if you don't mind, i'd like to ask: why did you leave med. school?

docjolly said:
You know,

Alexis Canady, Pediatric neurosurgeon, she went to U of M for Undergrad and Med school. Did her residency at Yale (first female and first AA). Chief of Neuro at Wayne State before retiring in her early 50's. She is the daughter of Hortense Canaday for all the Delta's in the house.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't realize you guys had already searched and found her info.

pathdr2b said:
There were a few manybe 2 or 3 that were featured in Ebony a few years ago. Again, neither of these ladies was amrried or had children. I also think it's important to note that Ben carson's wife is a stay at home Mom, I'm pretty sure. You know that saying , NEXT TO every great man is a great woman.............

Well, she's not exactly a stay at home mom -- she is a board member of a few foundations, and she is active in real estate.

rmp said:
Alexis Canady, Pediatric neurosurgeon, she went to U of M for Undergrad and Med school. Did her residency at Yale (first female and first AA). Chief of Neuro at Wayne State before retiring in her early 50's. She is the daughter of Hortense Canaday for all the Delta's in the house.

EDIT: My bad, I didn't realize you guys had already searched and found her info.

I actually had the great fortune of speaking with Dr. Canady. I found her email address somwhere and decided to give it a shot. She emailed me back soon thereafter with her home phone number! I gave her a call, and left a message because noone answered, which she returned.

Awesome woman, and truly invested in the success of young black women...

Take home: take initiative and wonderful things may come of it!

chalklette said:
Hey what part of oklahoma are you in /from?
I'm from southeast oklahoma. Seminole country. Do you have folks from here?

ndi_amaka said:

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only female interested in surgery. I'm married, with one child, coming from an alternative healthcare background, so this should be interesting. General surgery seems so interesting to me, things may change, but for now that's what I would like to do. I agree the ob/gyn thing is just not my cup of tea.... :)

Farrah said:
i'm a black female premed. it would be good to have a support group.

by the way how many of you are african ie immigrant or 1st or second generation? I have been noticing that there are quite a lot of african premeds. and as africans do u consider yourself african-american or not? that term african-american really isn't adequate. do african-americans consider african immigrants or 1st, 2nd generation as african-americans? i was discussing this topic with someone and would like your points of view. i'd like to hear about your opinions and experiences from both sides.

This is an interesting topic. My family has been here for a long time (I'm black and native american) and I've always felt lumping every black person on earth as African-American is an oversimplification. If an African becomes an American citizen and wants to be called African-american, that's their choice. Otherwise just to look at color, and features and stick everyone in one category, fails to recognize our varied and wonderful cultures. Even in the U.S. the black indians from the south have different traditions than those from the north. None of this makes anyone better or worse, just with differences that should be celebrated.

If Charlize Theron became an american citizen (maybe she already has??), she would also be an African-american. :laugh:

care bear said:
hi everyone,

Hey Girl!!! It's soooooo good to see you back!! I'm sure the "rest" did you a world of good and Congrads on hangin' in there!!!!

oneluv said:
What happened? Did things go wrong?

With all due respect, people leave medical school for many reasons, some of which have NOTHING to do with anything going "wrong". She did say she was doing research if I read her right and maybe she's considering joining me in the "trenches" called a research career. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.