Any black female pre-meds out there? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is funny do y'all see how many of us have postd in the last couple of mins :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

ndi_amaka said:
I wouild really enjoy leaving Texas after medical school. I spent the summer in Manhattan and truly enjoyed my time. What East Coast cities do you think would be a good fit both professionally and personally for a black female resident?

I'm definitely headed east for residency. If I decide to do Internal med then Hopkins would be my 1st choice. Now that will be hard, but they do have visiting clerkships for 4th yr minority med students, so I'll most definitely apply for that, and try to get in good with people :D Plus I've friends startin medicine residency there so maybe they can look out for a sistah :laugh:

chalklette said:
Why are we up so early. I usually don't get up until noon but hubby's out of town and he's left me with the 2 tornadoes 8months and 3 yrs.

:eek:

oh thats so :thumbup: cute

I dunno why I'm up here, have a ton of things to do, laundry is one, the way I'm goin I might miss my friend's graduation cause I dont even know what time it starts, and cant get thru to them :eek: Graduations are boring anyway, maybe I can just show up at the end :D

On anoda note, anyone have any MCAT questions, application questions, personal statement assistant or just want to chit chat with someone who has gone thru the application process, and squeezed thru the cracks, holla back :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that no matter where I end up for school, I want to end up back in DC/MD. Home is where the heart is!

As far as which residency I want to do, I have SO many interests: OB/GYN, internal medicine (possibly a subspecialty i.e. ICU), anesthesiology, emergency medicine and trauma surgery. I loved the times that I was in the OR, but it's a different story when you're the one doing the cutting!

And as far as the disparity in healthcare, the attitudes of the future docs here on SDN point to the need for more URMs in medicine. And to all of us trying to make it, this is only a sampling of what we may encounter as professionals. Let's continue the positivity, and continue to ignore the trolls. I don't have to justify my background to anyone (except maybe the admissions committee). I know exactly where I'm coming from.

I am up early to do some schoolwork. I am entering my last week of undergrad.

Did anyone see the downlow episode on Oprah? What are your thoughts??

lotanna said:
I'm definitely headed east for residency. If I decide to do Internal med then Hopkins would be my 1st choice. Now that will be hard, but they do have visiting clerkships for 4th yr minority med students, so I'll most definitely apply for that, and try to get in good with people :D Plus I've friends startin medicine residency there so maybe they can look out for a sistah :laugh:

Hopkins is GREAT! Of course I'm partial to Hopkins because my role model, Dr. Ben Carson) is there.

The first man to successfully separate conjoined twins is a (gasp) BLACK man!

lotanna said:

I hope the Hopkins program is still around when I get into my fourth year because i am gonna jump on that one. I also want to do a clerkship in Manhattan, Atlanta, and Palo Alto to get a feel of all the different regions of the US.

ndi_amaka said:
I wouild really enjoy leaving Texas after medical school. I spent the summer in Manhattan and truly enjoyed my time. What East Coast cities do you think would be a good fit both professionally and personally for a black female resident?

What about DC, Baltimore, New York City, and Philly? I'm a city girl at heart, and I believe that these cities have many urban, underserved populations.

Jamaican MD said:
Hopkins is GREAT! Of course I'm partial to Hopkins because my role model, Dr. Ben Carson) is there.

The first man to successfully separate conjoined twins is a (gasp) BLACK man!

I would love to train under him. Dang, he seems like such a spiritual, humble, modest good Christian man. He has the attitude, demeanor, and class that I hope to carry as a physician.

ndi_amaka said:
I am up early to do some schoolwork. I am entering my last week of undergrad.

Did anyone see the downlow episode on Oprah? What are your thoughts??

I saw the show on Oprah, and it was quite disturbing. As women, we have to really look out for ourselves, and follow our instincts.

ndi_amaka said:
I would love to train under him. Dang, he seems like such a spiritual, humble, modest good Christian man. He has the attitude, demeanor, and class that I hope to carry as a physician.

Definitely :thumbup:

Gifted Hands has been my source of inspiration/motivation throughout this application process.

Jamaican MD said:
I saw the show on Oprah, and it was quite disturbing. As women, we have to really look out for ourselves, and follow our instincts.

I was put off by the fact that J.L King, the black man who was revealing his homosexual lifestyle, provided no apologies for his actions. He pissed me off more when he suggested that he had to resort to this sort of deceit when he said something like "well if you (women) aren't willing to share your man, what else do you want?" I think the black community has avoided the homosexual issue for far too long and it's coming to bite us in the butt for it.

docjolly said:
Hi Everyone,

I'm an African American female premed as well!
I graduated from Columbia University :clap: (CC '02) with a major in History :love:
I will be taking my MCAT this August and will apply for the class of 2005.

I've been reading the posts on this thread. Unfortunately, I am not surprised by the immature, foolish behavior of those individuals who frequent this site and make negative comments about what we go through...Nevertheless, I think it's important that we continue to keep this specific atmosphere positive and supportive..Why feed into certain people's insecurities, manifested in the form of racist comments, when we can simply ignore them?
I like your signature :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ndi_amaka said:
I was put off by the fact that J.L King, the black man who was revealing his homosexual lifestyle, provided no apologies for his actions. He pissed me off more when he suggested that he had to resort to this sort of deceit when he said something like "well if you (women) aren't willing to share your man, what else do you want?" I think the black community has avoided the homosexual issue for far too long and it's coming to bite us in the butt for it.

Yeah, he pretty much turned it around on black women. What bothers me is that men who sleep with other men say "but I'm not gay." Ummmmmm. . .then what are you? :(

Jamaican MD said:
Definitely :thumbup:

Gifted Hands has been my source of inspiration/motivation throughout this application process.

I love Gifted Hands :love: :love: It's one of the most inspirational, touching books that I have read..

Have you read Dr. Carson's book, entitled "THINK BIG?"
I highly recommend it :thumbup:

Yeah though Hopkins medicine residency even though its #1, its a stressful 1st yr. My girl is starting that in June, so hopefully by the time my turn comes around, she can lookout for me :D

@those starting med schl this fall, I've been collectin review books that most med students say would be helpful: 1st aid, BRS Physiology, Step Up, some friends gave me other BRS(Gross anatomy, biochem, micro)

chalklette said:
That show was good. I was in the beauty salon getting my hair done when it came on and THEY STOPPED DOING HAIR UP IN THERE when Oprah came on.

LMAO :laugh:
it was a crazy show, a concept I'm all to familiar with because of work dealin with HIV

Jamaican MD said:
. . .then what are you? :(

SELFISH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

They can justify it all they want, as long as they are engaging in a hidden lifestyle and lying to their spouse and jeopordizing their health these men are vile.

I've been paranoid for weeks wondering if my boyfriend is down low which is not what I need to be concerning myself with nowadays. Thanks alot Oprah. :(

On a better tip, where is the next SNMA conference at?

ndi_amaka said:
SELFISH! :mad: :mad: :mad:

They can justify it all they want, as long as they are engaging in a hidden lifestyle and lying to their spouse and jeopordizing their health these men are vile.

I've been paranoid for weeks wondering if my boyfriend is down low which is not what I need to be concerning myself with nowadays. Thanks alot Oprah. :(

On a better tip, where is the next SNMA conference at?

St Louis!! and i'll be there!! :thumbup:

lotanna said:
St Louis!! and i'll be there!! :thumbup:

St. louis?? Hmm....

Well I'm gonna be there regardless. I really cannot wait to meet you, I feel like I've known you forever!

Hey, when is the conference?

@docjolly, I haven't read Think Big, but I will soon.

@ndi_amaka, "selfish" is right!

@lotanna, you are ahead of the game, and ready with your books. Hopefully, I'll need to pick those up too ;)

Could anyone point me to the racist troll comments? I just read through the whole thread and I am not really seeing much of anything that is "racist" or "trollish"...enlighten me...

Jamaican MD said:
Hey, when is the conference?

@docjolly, I haven't read Think Big, but I will soon.

@ndi_amaka, "selfish" is right!

@lotanna, you are ahead of the game, and ready with your books. Hopefully, I'll need to pick those up too ;)

It is usually Easter weekend of every year. I don't understand why they plan it that weekend.

ndi_amaka said:
St. louis?? Hmm....

Well I'm gonna be there regardless. I really cannot wait to meet you, I feel like I've known you forever!

girl I'll be at the nR thingie in Houston so we'll meet sooner than that, u'll be there right?

@JamaicanMD,howz ur leg/foot/ankle doing?? u make it to the interviews ok?

lotanna said:
girl I'll be at the nR thingie in Houston so we'll meet sooner than that, u'll be there right?

ARGH!!!! I can't believe you'll be there...now I HAVE to come. :mad: I honestly did not want to come....it'll ruin my rep as a bully. If I do go, it will be to the Sunday night banquet only. I have an aversion to anything involving rollercoasters.

ndi_amaka said:
ARGH!!!! I can't believe you'll be there...now I HAVE to come. :mad: I honestly did not want to come....it'll ruin my rep as a bully. If I do go, it will be to the Sunday night banquet only. I have an aversion to anything involving rollercoasters.

I wasnt goin to come, but then it'd give me a chance to see my cousins, and other non NR friends in the houston area.
plus May-Aug has been officially designated as my travel months b4 the chains and shackles clamp us down :D

lotanna said:
I wasnt goin to come, but then it'd give me a chance to see my cousins, and other non NR friends in the houston area.
plus May-Aug has been officially designated as my travel months b4 the chains and shackles clamp us down :D

I still haven't found a decent flight price to Naija between June and August. :(

ndi_amaka said:
I still haven't found a decent flight price to Naija between June and August. :(

dont go thru the airlines directly, u tried any travel agents???

lotanna said:
dont go thru the airlines directly, u tried any travel agents???
Called my Dad to tell him to call his.

Okay...so back to more educationally related issues....

Is it just me or do you feel that the overwhelming majority of black people in medicine are female?? Why the extremely low numbers of men trying to pursue an MD?

Hi everyone!

I'm a black female premed at a small liberal arts college in the midwest. Although I'm open to learning about any specialty, I currently want to be a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Is anyone here going to the Yale SMEP (formerly known as MMEP)?

ndi_amaka said:
Is it just me or do you feel that the overwhelming majority of black people in medicine are female?? Why the extremely low numbers of men trying to pursue an MD?

its not you, thats how it is, its a rare find :D

Fish3715 said:
Hi everyone!

I'm a black female premed at a small liberal arts college in the midwest. Although I'm open to learning about any specialty, I currently want to be a pediatric ophthalmologist.

Is anyone here going to the Yale SMEP (formerly known as MMEP)?

I went to the Columbia one. I hear the Yale one is very good.

Just lending some support to the pre-meds peeps out there. :) I went through a long struggle to get here, I'm still struggling, and it has been well worth it. Good luck and many blessings to you all as you enter this process.

H&T

lotanna said:

Yeah, things turned out better than I expected :thumbup:

Jamaican MD said:
Yeah, things turned out better than I expected :thumbup:

thats wonderful!! :thumbup:

and to the annoyance of some, this thread stays on top :laugh:

ndi_amaka said:

Booked one for the first week of june. Can you imagine that i paid $1725 for that-well after being away for 6 yrs I guess it is worth any price. Anyway, there seems to be no love for the brothers on this thread. Show the love ;)

ndi_amaka said:
i think guys are typically more into business and women are about to take over medicine cuz of our intelligence and we are typically more compassionate

supereagles said:
Booked one for the first week of june. Can you imagine that i paid $1725 for that-well after being away for 6 yrs I guess it is worth any price. Anyway, there seems to be no love for the brothers on this thread. Show the love ;)

*scoots over* There's always space for the brothers. :)

I haven't been in 6 yrs either. I pray I get to go because I honestly don't know what other time I'll have, you know?

Are you in med school?

Nice thread :thumbup:

African American female pre-med here from NY... I'm in my last semester of school and I just took the MCAT for the second time in April. I felt a little insecure around so many premeds who had taken Kaplan, etc, but I got over it. Anyway, I haven't actually applied yet...cold feet are getting the best of me. But I plan on applying for the 2005 school year. I'd really love to go to a school here in the city such as Mt. Sinai, NYU or Columbia, but I doubt that I would get in ( I know, I should think positive).

It's good to know that there are still supportive people around. Keep up the positivity :)

PS...cerberus...we should make a "checking the mcat scores online at midnight as soon as they come out" date :love:

supereagles said:

wow I paid 1000 in March thru KLM but still not bad, what airline are u using?

on anoda note...BRING ME SUYA :laugh:

kaliluv06 said:
i think guys are typically more into business and women are about to take over medicine cuz of our intelligence and we are typically more compassionate

true come to think of it among black premeds that were in most of my general classes, there were maybe 2 or 3 black guys

NubianPrincess said:
Nice thread :thumbup:

African American female pre-med here from NY... I'm in my last semester of school and I just took the MCAT for the second time in April. I felt a little insecure around so many premeds who had taken Kaplan, etc, but I got over it. Anyway, I haven't actually applied yet...cold feet are getting the best of me. But I plan on applying for the 2005 school year. I'd really love to go to a school here in the city such as Mt. Sinai, NYU or Columbia, but I doubt that I would get in ( I know, I should think positive).

It's good to know that there are still supportive people around. Keep up the positivity :)

PS...cerberus...we should make a "checking the mcat scores online at midnight as soon as they come out" date :love:

You'll be fine, coming from a multiple MCAT retaker and a reapplicant that finally got in, its really not that bad, if i can get in then everyone else on this thread can to! Its not a matter of if but when :thumbup:

Lotanna...I'm doing yet another paper for one of my classes. Do you know anything about the circumcision issue concerning HIV prevention?? I have read alot about it and it's extremely interesting.

I take a nap (from moving these last few days) and look how much I missed in conversation. Hmmmm..., where should i start?

1) Loved Dr.Ben Carson's books and Think Big is a must for the minority premed!!! :thumbup:

2) Jamacian MD- How is the "healing" going and I hoped you worked that situation for your interviews :clap:

3) To the Wellesly Student, I turned down a 4 year scholarship there many, many years ago for "love". What a huge mistake! Enjoy your time there as some great women have attended (Hilary Clinton).

4) Brotha's on the down lo, I dated 2 men last year that seemed a little 2 different for me. They were successful (ones a doc), fine, funny, everything you could want in a guy, but I just couldn't get over the "feeling" that something else was up (One of them had a bisexual best friend). Needless to stay, I "got the hell outta dodge with a quick", because as a former AIDS counselor, I know it's just not worth the "risk".

5) Hopkins IM- My main mentor here at NIH, a Black woman with a MD/PhD from UPenn during the 1970's so you guys KNOW how tough THATwas, did here internship at Hokpkins and still has "contacts" there. Holla back when it's time for more info!!

6) Lovin the DC area- What can I say I love the city life too including Philly and Manhattan. And since my fiance' received a raise and promotion recently, we're more we're more inclined to stay in the area. So, I guess that means I'll have to tell Harvard no thanks! :laugh:

7) To the DC area folks- The weather is so nice why don't we met at the mall with our kids one Saturday or Sunday afternoon!!

8) About being the only "minority" in the class - I'ms so used to this from undergrad but ESPECIALLY in grad school. Another resaon why Howard is so high on my list. I feel I really missed out on something not attending an HBCU for undergrad :( , so I'm already programming my daughter that's it's NC A & T for Engineering or nothin at all!! :thumbup:

9) If you know anyone that is truly struggling financially that plans to take the MCAT, please let me know. I'd like to share a few things that can help. It's time WE started doing for each other what other folks do all the time! :thumbup:

Finally, you sistas are absolutely AMAZING !!! :)

Okay, I'm done! :laugh:

ndi_amaka said:
Lotanna...I'm doing yet another paper for one of my classes. Do you know anything about the circumcision issue concerning HIV prevention?? I have read alot about it and it's extremely interesting.

this was one of the things we talked about while doing the hIV awareness on the trip. Many people who do the circumsions arent certified health professionals for most part, might be local villagers, so they might not be following any sterilizin techniques. Thats such an easy method of spreadin HIV, and I know they are tryin to get them to use bleach as a form of sterilization.

Aaah lovely pathdr2b MD/PhD is back on board bringin her much needed fresh air :laugh:

Hey path :D

Everything is going well.

NubianPrincess said:

Sounds like a plan, i'll bring Champagne so if things turn out good we can celebrate and the Jack Daniels in case I am older than my MCAT score :scared: :scared:

I've been thinking about what to do with my summer after MSI. I really want to work in Nigeria - especially Igboland, but I'm not aware of any programs that are available.

I went to Nigeria two summers ago(July) and I paid $1700 through KLM.

UDO

Status
Not open for further replies.