Any Asian Indian Pre-Meds Out There? part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
NRAI2001 said:
Dalermendi is a joke.
yes, i know.... and now you ruined it! I hate you! I hate you! (that's 2)

Members don't see this ad :)
desiredusername said:

Stop that you trouble maker................ I said STOP IT.

all you kallus need to calm down

lay bak, relax, inhale that sherm smoke

:eek:

desiredusername said:

Totally changing the topic, but I had to laugh out loud when I saw your avatar, not just because it was funny in general, but also because..............

The head on the superman reminded me of my Malayalee Uncle who was over for Christmas break. I swear to god his face looks just like that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

gujuDoc said:
Totally changing the topic, but I had to laugh out loud when I saw your avatar, not just because it was funny in general, but also because..............

The head on the superman reminded me of my Malayalee Uncle who was over for Christmas break. I swear to god his face looks just like that. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

looks just like Colonel Sanders? hot!

hi there

I have question on the AMCAS application - I have an undergrad from India and a graduate degree in biomed from UCLA. How do I convert my undergrad scores into grades?
I called the schools I am applying to and they said "ask AMCAS". I called AMCAS and they said "I don't know".

Thanks,

If your grades are actually numerical scores, there is a conversion factor for the Canadian system, which uses a similar scheme. Its at the bottom of this pdf: http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2007amcasgradeconversionguide2.pdf

If you have written evaluations, I would just place a grade corresponding to the symbolic value of the evaluation as it pertains to that school.

You should probably consider having your transcript evaluated by a professional evaluation agency, in case you have a lot of 70s and thats considered an A, because otherwise AAMC will stick you with a lot of B's.

PS Theres a forum for Indian students listed under international, you may want to ask there since there are a lot of people who apply to dental school from abroad. I think they would have a better answer.

Shameless Desi Bump :p

So be honest, who has relatives who bbq samosas?

guju from NYC here....
I'm 5'10....just to knock the stereotype of short guju guys a little bit more :)

I know im late to post but its amazing how many desi pre-meds there are...can't you guys go pursue something else so that i can regain my minority applicant status! :)

Desielmo4 said:
guju from NYC here....
I'm 5'10....just to knock the stereotype of short guju guys a little bit more :)

I know im late to post but its amazing how many desi pre-meds there are...can't you guys go pursue something else so that i can regain my minority applicant status! :)

:laugh: I think we need to petition for a minority status. It's not our fault that we:

1. Like Science
2. Have some pushy a$$ parents

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
DrVanNostran said:
:laugh: I think we need to petition for a minority status. It's not our fault that we:

1. Like Science
2. Have some pushy a$$ parents

:D

i kinda like the all indian med school idea....can you just imagine some of the insanity that would take place? Im picturing frantic med students ripping pages out of books in the library while thugged out desis show off their cars in the parking lots and the fobs do whatever it is that fobs do... all at the same time.....picture it!! :)

Desielmo4 said:
i kinda like the all indian med school idea....can you just imagine some of the insanity that would take place? Im picturing frantic med students ripping pages out of books in the library while thugged out desis show off their cars in the parking lots and the fobs do whatever it is that fobs do... all at the same time.....picture it!! :)

Sounds like a good hindi movie to me :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

damn there are loads of desis on SDN...more than ATL :smuggrin:

do anyone's parents freak out when you even mention the thought of taking a year off?

When I saw the title of this forum, and (not surprisingly) saw the size it has grown to, I was like wtf even ask? I've not read any of it, but just like to chip in that if you're desi you CAN go to med school for reasons other than your parents, and you can delay a year (or more) - I'm doing a totally unrelated masters degree and applying for '08 (so I guess that would make me 'non-traditional'?), and my parents, though initially hesitant, are perfectly fine with it.

Live for yourself, people

sunset823 said:
When I saw the title of this forum, and (not surprisingly) saw the size it has grown to, I was like wtf even ask? I've not read any of it, but just like to chip in that if you're desi you CAN go to med school for reasons other than your parents, and you can delay a year (or more) - I'm doing a totally unrelated masters degree and applying for '08 (so I guess that would make me 'non-traditional'?), and my parents, though initially hesitant, are perfectly fine with it.

Live for yourself, people
My family has nothing to do with me going to med school. In fact they were dead set against it. And folks shouldn't worry about taking a year or more off. I took 4 years off and have never been happier that I did things on my timeline and no one else's.

I took several years off before entering post-bacc. My parents are truly pissed that they cant auction me off when they go to India, which works out well since I'm visiting India for the first time in 16 years next month.

junebuguf said:
I took several years off before entering post-bacc. My parents are truly pissed that they cant auction me off when they go to India, which works out well since I'm visiting India for the first time in 16 years next month.

I sort of can't wait for the auction :rolleyes: Once the MD pops up, its beyong chaos :laugh:

BTW an all indian school would be hillarious, but if you want to see something close to it, hit up UIC ;)

rajad10 said:
do anyone's parents freak out when you even mention the thought of taking a year off?

I took a yr off and then entered MPH program for 2 yrs and now applying for '07cycle. And oh by the way, my parents were dead set against med school as well. They would still be delighted if I decided not to go this route this yr.

my parents keep telling me i should just be happy with whatever i decide to do.... i think its only as long as im "premed" haha id like to think they dont care ... as they keep telling me over and over and over... haha but i do honestly want to do it without any pressure from them.

i hate being an overrepresented minority... i honestly think it negatively affects the app process...

wow i didnt know there was a desi pre-med thread. im def with u guys, def sucks to be an overrepresented minorty. im desi from jamaica so that makes me an international student and so ive heard its even harder to get in :(

anyone like russel peters?? i saw him in san jose a while back... soooooo FUNNYYYYY!!

DrVanNostran said:
I sort of can't wait for the auction :rolleyes: Once the MD pops up, its beyong chaos :laugh:

BTW an all indian school would be hillarious, but if you want to see something close to it, hit up UIC ;)

hey are you from uic ?

Man i know (way) too many people that go there. If you haven't already graduated, what year are you?

I am actually from the suburbs of chi.

And, man, are you right about UIC. I get sick everytime I am on that campus. You ever been to any 'strictly UIC' parties? It is like an indian sitcom, only with a lot more fighting. The campus blows and most of the kids there are pretty much bottom feeders...not so much in an academic sense but rather socially.

btw I am talking only about the undergrad college.

Definitely feelin Russell Peters, MasterMD.

On a side note, I think you're literally applying to half the med schools in the US. Is that list for real.....?

namaste fellow desi's! i just got back from india and put some pics/videos on my blog/website which i update frequently...
http://djsiva.blogspot.com
if any of y'all are planning to go sometime, i recommend flying emirates and virgin atlantic...ok bye!

Its_MurDAH said:
hey are you from uic ?

Man i know (way) too many people that go there. If you haven't already graduated, what year are you?

And, man, are you right about UIC. I get sick everytime I am on that campus. You ever been to any 'strictly UIC' parties? It is like an indian sitcom, only with a lot more fighting. The campus blows and most of the kids there are pretty much bottom feeders...not so much in an academic sense but rather socially.

Which suburb of Chicago are you from??? I was in Chicago this past weekend for a friend's wedding. We stayed with another friend in St. Charles and also with another friend in Naperville. The daughter of the friend in St. Charles also lives in Naperville. Both Naperville and St. Charles were beautiful. I didn't get a chance to visit Devon street but whatever.

It was fun, but the wedding was a little disorganized. Currently I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin but I'll be back in the good ol' Florida in a week.

When are you applying Guju? I've seen you on this board for a long time, so I'm thinking you should be playing the game soon. I do not have high hopes that FLA will come through. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if I dont get a single interview in-state. Then again, I've been out of FL for so long my skin started peeling this week after spending a few days on the beach. I didn't think Indian people could sunburn. Go figure.

Its_MurDAH said:
hey are you from uic ?

I couldn't agree more with what you just said :laugh:

I don't go to UIC, but I do know a loooot of people who went or go to UIC. Now that I think about it, both my brother and sister went there lol. Im actually from the suburbs also---even though chicago is full of desis, I am sure I know or have seen you somewhere, its just the "every desi knows each other connection."

As for the strictly UIC parties, all i can say or do it...... :laugh:

Now that we talk crap about UIC--we are going to end up there, I just know it ;)

Guju--You were in town for a wedding right? To bad you didn't get to go to Devon, thats an experience within itself. As for Naperville and St. Charles....

Naperville>>>>>St. Charles :D

junebuguf said:
When are you applying Guju? I've seen you on this board for a long time, so I'm thinking you should be playing the game soon. I do not have high hopes that FLA will come through. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if I dont get a single interview in-state. Then again, I've been out of FL for so long my skin started peeling this week after spending a few days on the beach. I didn't think Indian people could sunburn. Go figure.

I'm doing a postbac and will be applying not this year but next year maybe.

It just depends.

Why do you think Florida will not come through. Trust me, my friend with a lesser mcat score then you (30), and mediocre GPA who did Georgetown SMP got his only interview and acceptance from a state school. UF might or might not be a long shot, but Umiami and USF are not long shots. For USF, you should keep in touch with REL and other adcom members. I can give you the list of description and contact info I sent someone else if you'd like to know who's good to talk to in the USF admissions staff.

Also, JunebugUF, are you still considered an in state resident or would you be considered an out of state resident??? It helps if you are considered in state resident.

DrVanNostran said:
I couldn't agree more with what you just said :laugh:

I don't go to UIC, but I do know a loooot of people who went or go to UIC. Now that I think about it, both my brother and sister went there lol. Im actually from the suburbs also---even though chicago is full of desis, I am sure I know or have seen you somewhere, its just the "every desi knows each other connection."

As for the strictly UIC parties, all i can say or do it...... :laugh:

Now that we talk crap about UIC--we are going to end up there, I just know it ;)

Guju--You were in town for a wedding right? To bad you didn't get to go to Devon, thats an experience within itself. As for Naperville and St. Charles....

Naperville>>>>>St. Charles :D

Why do you say Naperville is better then St. Charles??????????? Maybe it was just because the person's house we went to in St. Charles was sooooooo huge and soooooooooo cool that his basement could be considered a one bedroom apartment, but I was in love with the St. Charles area. Although, that uncle and aunti's daughter does live in Naperville too and supposedly has a nice house that way too.

I liked both equally because they have beautiful surroundings with all the parks and things that are nearby.

BTW I was at Devon street when I went to Chicago 9 years ago, but we just didn't have time this time cuz we were going to my aunt and uncle's place on Sunday so we didn't get to spend any time that way. I'll have to go there on my own next time I come to the Chi town.

BTW, the son of my parents other friend in Naperville goes to UIC.

He's from Mumbai (Marathi)

gujuDoc said:
I'm doing a postbac and will be applying not this year but next year maybe.

It just depends.

Why do you think Florida will not come through. Trust me, my friend with a lesser mcat score then you (30), and mediocre GPA who did Georgetown SMP got his only interview and acceptance from a state school. UF might or might not be a long shot, but Umiami and USF are not long shots. For USF, you should keep in touch with REL and other adcom members. I can give you the list of description and contact info I sent someone else if you'd like to know who's good to talk to in the USF admissions staff.

Also, JunebugUF, are you still considered an in state resident or would you be considered an out of state resident??? It helps if you are considered in state resident.

How many years of post-bacc are you thinking of? For what its worth, one year of SMP is worth 2.5-3 years of post-bacc. If you're thinking of applying next year, you should start the USF SMP this year. Incidentally, do you know how the people who were in that program are doing? Did most of them get into USF?

I am still considered in-state because I left only for school. I'd like to see that list for USF. I talked to REL last year. He was very helpful, but said even with 2 years of post-bacc and my MCAT, I would only get a review--no real shot at an interview.

junebuguf said:
How many years of post-bacc are you thinking of? For what its worth, one year of SMP is worth 2.5-3 years of post-bacc. If you're thinking of applying next year, you should start the USF SMP this year. Incidentally, do you know how the people who were in that program are doing? Did most of them get into USF?

I am still considered in-state because I left only for school. I'd like to see that list for USF. I talked to REL last year. He was very helpful, but said even with 2 years of post-bacc and my MCAT, I would only get a review--no real shot at an interview.

REL's good for advice, but I've seen cases as bad if not worse then yours who got into USF, so he may usually be accurate, but sometimes his words contradict with Dr. Williams or Dr. Wathington say. He's one of the 5 I have on that list, but there are 4 other people who you can go to for a second opinion because sometimes you'll find it does differ greatly what you'll hear from someone like Dr. Wathington then what you'll hear from REL.

Trust me in the 2004 application cycle there were quite a few people who had just barely had a 3.0 GPA and 2.5 their first time in undergrad. They had 34+ MCAT scores and decent ECs, LORs, and Personal statements and had interviews. One girl who was in a similar predicament had interviews at Ohio State, USF, UF, Umiami, and a phone interview at Mayo. So you never can really say what will happen. But I'll send you the same PM I sent others.

Hey I just noticed this thread. I am an Asian Indian pre-med. I'm waiting on three medical schools right now. :( Good luck to all! :luck:

I want to join the club too! :)
applying to schools this summer...

gujuDoc said:
Why do you say Naperville is better then St. Charles??????????? Maybe it was just because the person's house we went to in St. Charles was sooooooo huge and soooooooooo cool that his basement could be considered a one bedroom apartment, but I was in love with the St. Charles area. Although, that uncle and aunti's daughter does live in Naperville too and supposedly has a nice house that way too.

I liked both equally because they have beautiful surroundings with all the parks and things that are nearby.

Check out number 3 on this list: http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/

Plus I live in Naperville :laugh:

With CNN.com and my bias-----Naperville>>>St. Charles :laugh:

I think a lot of houses in Chicago are monsterous because of the amount of land we have here, our suburbs aren't as concentrated as many other states. When you apply to med schools next, apply Chicago---go excuse to go to Devon :rolleyes:

DrVanNostran said:
Check out number 3 on this list: http://money.cnn.com/best/bplive/

Plus I live in Naperville :laugh:

With CNN.com and my bias-----Naperville>>>St. Charles :laugh:

I think a lot of houses in Chicago are monsterous because of the amount of land we have here, our suburbs aren't as concentrated as many other states. When you apply to med schools next, apply Chicago---go excuse to go to Devon :rolleyes:

\
wow what a coincidence. I didn't realize you also live in Naperville. So now, technically, I know 3 people who live in Naperville and all Indo people for that matter. :laugh: :laugh:

That's awesome. I think Chicago Suburbs are better then NYC suburbs cuz you can actually have a big house and live in a relatively safe area. I always was under the impression that in NYC and the NE area that's not as possible and everything is much more like certain parts of the UK where houses are real small.

gujuDoc said:
\
wow what a coincidence. I didn't realize you also live in Naperville. So now, technically, I know 3 people who live in Naperville and all Indo people for that matter. :laugh: :laugh:

That's awesome. I think Chicago Suburbs are better then NYC suburbs cuz you can actually have a big house and live in a relatively safe area. I always was under the impression that in NYC and the NE area that's not as possible and everything is much more like certain parts of the UK where houses are real small.

Naperville is essentially becoming Asian Central :laugh: A lot of people, including my parents moved to the Chicagoland area because of what you stated above, it is easier to have a relatively larger house and backyard without stretching your financial limits as you would in other places like the northeast.

BTW: I love Chicago, but I think I need a break. If I am accepted OOS I think Ill have to take a four year break ;)

i'm also doing a postbacc this fall and am applying to medschools currently. do you guys know of schools that have higher numbers of indians enrolled? (and hence maybe the OVERrepresented minority bit won't hurt me as much?)

Veshy said:
Definitely feelin Russell Peters, MasterMD.

On a side note, I think you're literally applying to half the med schools in the US. Is that list for real.....?

i'm planning to cut it in half when secondaries come around so... kinda but not really.. haha... relax! everyone is getting on my case about this!!

I am applying to over 50. Its my only recourse. I dont know how many people go through with so many applications, but I plan on doing it, if only because I dont want to have any regrets.

junebuguf said:
I am applying to over 50. Its my only recourse. I dont know how many people go through with so many applications, but I plan on doing it, if only because I dont want to have any regrets.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

junebuguf said:

I am at 46 right now, I don't care what people say. For some of us, applying to 40+ schools is the only reasonable thing to do :D

I applaud you two if you can actually pull through with 40+ applications. I'd strongly suggest that JunebugUF apply to schools like NYMC, Albany, RFU, etc. Those schools seem to love nontrads who've done postbacs and so forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.