Antibiotics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jjustin1

Reaction score
Hey I’m Jaz- does anyone know what is the best resource to study antibiotics?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey I’m Jaz- does anyone know what is the best resource to study antibiotics?

As a resident, you should have a firm understanding of indications, coverage, toxicities, and MOAs. Now, the question is what is the solution to a clinical case.

If you don't, than there are several USMLE tables you can find charts even via google that will give you this information in easily digestible bits. Also your hospital will have a antibiogram based off data specifically at your hospital. Use it. It can be the difference between something as fundamental as Vancopime vs. Vanc/Zosyn.

At the resident level, you should be learning principles.

0.) Empiric Antibiotics
1.) Bacteriostatic vs. Bacteriocidal
2.) MACs and how to read sensitivity profiles (very simple)
3.) Volume of Distribution
4.) Adding a second antibiotic // conversely stewardship.

vanc mero and let the nerds figure it out

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I like the Sanford Guide
Very good. Hell, I'll even add Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple as a basic review.
abx guide
sanford
pusware (great site)
hospital antibiogram
uptodate of course
micromedex
Uptodate and Micromedex were my favorite
AS well as IDSA guidelines
As a resident, you should have a firm understanding of indications, coverage, toxicities, and MOAs. Now, the question is what is the solution to a clinical case.

If you don't, than there are several USMLE tables you can find charts even via google that will give you this information in easily digestible bits. Also your hospital will have a antibiogram based off data specifically at your hospital. Use it. It can be the difference between something as fundamental as Vancopime vs. Vanc/Zosyn.

At the resident level, you should be learning principles.

0.) Empiric Antibiotics
1.) Bacteriostatic vs. Bacteriocidal
2.) MACs and how to read sensitivity profiles (very simple)
3.) Volume of Distribution
4.) Adding a second antibiotic // conversely stewardship.
I'll also add:
Knowing when to de-escalate antibiotics (goes along with Stewardship)
Knowing when to consult ID

Ah, just like the private attendings at my hospital! Fantastic! RESISTANCE GO!

Hi... pharmacy calling... yes, this patient immediately required 3 pressors, steroids, and has a band count of 30, but you do know that Merrem is restricted to ID only... right? Can we start with Zosyn in the mean time? K thx!