Anterior Pituitary Hormones

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor10

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard of the acronym FLATPEG for anterior pituitary hormones.

EK does not include "endorphins" (the"E") as an anterior pituitary hormone.

1. Are endorphins released by the anterior pituitary?
2. Are endorphins peptide hormones?

And FLATP and G are all peptide hormones right?

Members don't see this ad.

I believe the ant pit release something called POMC (pro-opiomelanocorticotropin) which can be cleaved into several different hormones (ACTH, beta endorphins etc)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proopiomelanocortin
(couldn't get the image to post)

File:POMC.png

Last edited:
I have heard of the acronym FLATPEG for anterior pituitary hormones.

When I learned the acronym in school it was FLAT PiG where the 'i' stood for ignore. But a quick Wikipedia search turned this up:

Endorphins are endogenous opioid polypeptide compounds. They are produced by the pituitary gland and the hypothalamus in vertebrates during strenuous exercise, excitement, and climax, and they resemble the opiates in their abilities to produce analgesia and a sense of well-being.

I hope that answers your questions. I can't remember ever seeing an MCAT question based on endorphins, however, so I'm wouldn't be too worried.

Good luck with the studying!

Thanks everyone!

"Endorphins" are one of the hormones released by the anterior pituitary, and are peptide hormones... the Kaplan source said this too.

I assume POMC (pro-opiomelanocorticotropin) and other minor hormones that the anterior pituitary releases are not MCAT-tested unless discussed in a passage.