Another Residency - Bloomington Indiana

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeekerOfTheTree

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to add more manure to the pile...Another residency that will accept its first class in 2024. Seems like they are searching for a program director.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Lol because of course there's so much great pathology in Bloomington.

As much as HCA sucks the majority of these new EM programs have been started by nonprofit health systems.

We're on track to reach 10K excess graduates well before 2030 if the current trend isn't stopped.

Members don't see this ad :)
So the move for college students wanting to go into medicine at this point is definitely to skip med school and go travel nursing, right?

This thread reminded me....I just still can't believe they started a residency in Corinth, MS at Magnolia Regional, LOL. That ED has got to be 35K/yr tops.

This thread reminded me....I just still can't believe they started a residency in Corinth, MS at Magnolia Regional, LOL. That ED has got to be 35K/yr tops.

Hey don’t hate. They get one free white coat per year according to that.

• Haha
Dartmouth's residency only sees about 20K in their adult emergency department.

Apparently during the COVID surge last year they were down to 15K volumes.

My single coverage ER saw more than that. What a joke if that's a large part of their training.

Members don't see this ad :)
18 years ago, when I got to Duke, our volume was about 25k, IIRC. It was a joke. I don't know how they got enough volume to now support 12 res per year.

Thats absolutely insane. How would you ever get enough pathology for even a 6 resident class at sub-30k volumes? How many legitimately sick/resus cases are you seeing a shift at that volume? How many emergent tubes can you get in that time?

Our residency’s community site sees 50-60k per year on its own and I can’t imagine it being able to support more than 5-6 residents with any semblance of decent training.

They have to be fudging their numbers. ACGME has a (extremely pathetic) requirement of 30k visits to be accredited.

They have to be fudging their numbers. ACGME has a (extremely pathetic) requirement of 30k visits to be accredited.

Simply insane. I work at a freestanding that sees nearly 30K. It's almost all urgent care BS. They could have a residency by ACGME requirements.

Simply insane. I work at a freestanding that sees nearly 30K. It's almost all urgent care BS. They could have a residency by ACGME requirements.
Don't give them any ideas...

It'll have to be a fellowship tacked on to the end of residency.
Yes true. I think extra training in "Reassuring the worried well", "Tylenol dosing for Lazy Moms", and "Management of the stubbed toe" are necessary to operate in that specialized field.

Reactions: 2 users
In the (recent) past, in another forum here, there was a mention (I don't recall if it was a thread) about an "Urgent Care" fellowship from Family Medicine. So, someone else was thinking about the same thing!
Beat me to it.

It's an unaccredited board that is not limited to FM. ABUCM Home