Another Q on LOR's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golgi

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey folks-

Quick question. Is it okay to send in 2 ophtho LORs from 2 attendings you did research with in the same field? They are from different institutions. My 3rd letter is from IM.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Let me make a follow up q:
a. What if the attendants are in the same field AND are from the same institution?

b. If I have an excellent LOR from an attendant (like the ones mentioned above), which is from North America but relatively young
and a good (but not excellent) LOR from a very bigwig (world lit, wrote books, big head in Boston) which one should I use?

Members don't see this ad :)
Visioncam said:
You sound Canadian saying "from North America". It's fine if you have 3 letters, all from retina or all from oculoplastics.

Mediocre letters may not be fatal, but they don't help.

Which letter would you prefer?
1. Chair of Bascom Palmer or Wills..."Chris was an good student. He occasionally knew the answer to questions but often didn't. He came to work on time. He attended all 30 days of the rotation."

2. Assistant Professor A. Smith of University of Ordinary School of Medicine...
"outstanding medical student...one of the most knowledgable students to have rotated...participated in the wet lab, demonstrated excellent fine motor skills...
2a. (one of my letters referred to me as something like having the potential to create a legacy and enhancing their reputation. I don't remember how it was put or even the thoughts conveyed, but it sounded pretty impressive. My letter was from a sub-specialty chief but he was not nationally famous)

I am not Canadian, just happened to be working here for the time being.
As for the letters it is fairly obvious, with the difference that the bigwig letter is much better than what you write (ie. "enthusiastic letter of recommendation, excellent skills, very good knowledge, great relations with the staff"... etc)
And te other is similar to what you stated (ie. "it would be an honor for your school to add him to your alumni" etc), BUT it is from research boss and not clinical at all.

D

What is an attendant? Isn't that the person who pours you drinks and gets you a pillow during a flight?