Another Parent's Info Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjhtamu

Stargazer Royale
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I know most schools do not require you to put your parents' information on your FAFSA, but at Baylor they say it makes you eligible for all kinds of grants. So I'm putting my parents info up there, but it asks for total net worth of investments and all kinds of stuff like that. I'm pretty sure my parents wouldn't know unless they went to an accountant or something. Are they just asking for estimates, or is it really even that important?

Members don't see this ad.

I just filled that part out with my mom. She used estimates for those sections because there's really no way to know exactly how much some things (like your house) are worth without an appraisal. Hopefully that's ok!

If your parent's investments are made through a brokerage (eTrade, Charles Schwab, etc) they will get a statement (sometimes online) every month that tells them the value of their portfolio. Same for 401Ks through work, and most any other US based investments.

If they own property besides the house they live in (which is exempt) it's a little more complicated, but they should get a asseessment notice with their property tax bill every year that tells them what the state gov't says the property is worth. This works in most states but CA, where we have messed up limits on reassesments. If the property tax assessment is artificially low (you live in CA or a similar state), just make your best guess, and because they financial aid office won't be able to prove that if they sold the property, they could get X dollars, its okay to estimate a little low here (no where else).

Estimates are okay, but you may get asked for verification, and if they find that you estimated lower values for investments, you will have to verify every year (which is a pain) so make them as accurate as possible.

I do this every year with my father, it usually takes us two hours to find all the paperwork necessary to fill it out. And there is nothing on there that requires going to an accountant.

i filled out the parental stuff with estimates that my dad gave me...but what do i do about sending their tax return for this year when he's going to be applying for an extension as he always does?