Another option for Canadians looking to become physicians!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbest

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
While this subject has been discussed a bit in the past...

(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=89796)

... I felt obligated to reintroduce the option of US osteopathic medical schools and the DO to my fellow Canucks.

I'm originally from Alberta, but found my way down to the DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine in Tennessee. Due to the fact that there are VERY FEW osteopathic physicians practicing in Canada, we never hear about this option. Many Canadians who are unable to crack a spot in a Canadian med school look to Australia, Ireland, the few MD-granting (allopathic) medical schools in the US willing to accept Canadians, or the Caribbean. While all of these options can work one way or another, I just want to get the word out there with regards to the DO and becoming an osteopathic physician!

DOs are found in every specialty from family medicine to neurosurgery. The curriculum at an osteopathic medical school is almost identical to any found at an allopathic (MD) school. We also learn osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM), which I feel is an excellent tool for both diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of ailments (mostly, but not limited to, MSK).

As of right now, DOs can practice in all provinces EXCEPT Saskatchewan (but who wants to live there anyways... JK Rider fans!!!) and can make just as good of a living as any other physician in Canada. In the end, you will be a physician and you will get to practice medicine!!!

I strongly encourage you to check out the following websites:

www.osteopathic.org

www.osteopathic.ca

www.do-online.org

Also, feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Please keep in mind, though, that I'm just a lowly first year so I'm pretty new to the game. Take care!

Members don't see this ad.

While this subject has been discussed a bit in the past...

(http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=89796)

... I felt obligated to reintroduce the option of US osteopathic medical schools and the DO to my fellow Canucks.

I'm originally from Alberta, but found my way down to the DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine in Tennessee. Due to the fact that there are VERY FEW osteopathic physicians practicing in Canada, we never hear about this option. Many Canadians who are unable to crack a spot in a Canadian med school look to Australia, Ireland, the few MD-granting (allopathic) medical schools in the US willing to accept Canadians, or the Caribbean. While all of these options can work one way or another, I just want to get the word out there with regards to the DO and becoming an osteopathic physician!

DOs are found in every specialty from family medicine to neurosurgery. The curriculum at an osteopathic medical school is almost identical to any found at an allopathic (MD) school. We also learn osteopathic manipulative medicine (OMM), which I feel is an excellent tool for both diagnosis and treatment of a wide variety of ailments (mostly, but not limited to, MSK).

As of right now, DOs can practice in all provinces EXCEPT Saskatchewan (but who wants to live there anyways... JK Rider fans!!!) and can make just as good of a living as any other physician in Canada. In the end, you will be a physician and you will get to practice medicine!!!

I strongly encourage you to check out the following websites:

www.osteopathic.org

www.osteopathic.ca

www.do-online.org

Also, feel free to PM me with any questions and I'll do my best to answer them. Please keep in mind, though, that I'm just a lowly first year so I'm pretty new to the game. Take care!

Well.. being a Canadian who did go to a DO school for a year... and no longer attending DO school (on a leave of absence and don't plan on returning), I think the Osteopathic route for Canadians should be cautious one.

There are posts on here and on canadian medical school forum.. giving you more details. If you want to match in Canada for residency.. then Carribean or European medical school may be best.

It's been awhile since I've posted on SDN, but I thought I'd drop my 2 cents. I remember reading a lot of DocBills comments in the past about osteopathic medicine, and he was always very supportive and encouraging about Canadians going the DO route. I wonder why the change, but I guess I've been out of the loop. Sorry! I hope his brief time at an osteopathic school was a good experience and he is happy in his current situation.

I'm currently a second year family practice resident at an allopathic program in the states. I am so grateful for the opportunity to receive unique training in osteopathic principles and OMM in addition to the "standard" medical curriculum. I feel I can offer something more for my patients. I've had the opportunity to treat many of our own faculty, nurses, residents and other staff with OMM.

My wife is originally from Southern Alberta and we are seriously considering returning to practice closer to her home when I'm finished with my training. I realize, however, that there are loops to jump through and it will take more time and money. If it's what we feel is best for our family, I guess we'll make the sacrifices we need to. At least we'll have a special niche!

I think osteopathic medicine is an amazing opportunity (I don't view it as a back up, but to each their own), and can be a great option for Canadians who face the killer competition to get in to medical school up North. I'll be more than happy to answer and Qs about DOs, requirements to practice in Canada, etc. Best of luck on the journey. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to add a little something that I think sweetens the DO deal...

If you're willing to complete your residency in the US, I feel the DO route opens up doors to more competitive specialties. As of right now, in order to eventually practice in Canada, you have to complete an ACGME (allopathic) or ACGME/AOA dually accredited (allopathic and osteopathic) residency program. More and more, DO students are matching into competitive ACGME residency programs. (As an aside, if the powers-that-be back home eventually realize that physicians coming out of an AOA residency programs are competent and capable physicians and start granting licensure to AOA grads, then the DO definitely becomes a better option than the IMG route.) Carms has VERY FEW spots in competitive fields for IMGs coming back from Australia, Ireland, and the Caribbean. Obviously if you're looking at at doing a family medicine residency in Canada, then you should be able to crack a spot no matter where you went to school. I don't mean that as a knock to family medicine either; however, we all know there are always a decent chunk of left over spots even after the 2nd iteration in the Carms match. So if you have plans to enter a specialty that's a bit more competitive and don't mind living in the US for a little while, then I'd definitely suggest looking into the DO route.

Just want to reiterate that my goal with this thread is to provide Canadians having a tough time getting into the med schools at home with yet another option. I'm not looking to fire up the "DO vs. IMG MD" battle for the hundreth time here.

I am surprised Australian graduates would have trouble entering the Canadian system, especially since both countries are part of the Commonwealth. Australian medical schools have an excellent reputation. Caribbean graduates, no surprise there.

cbest:

Where in Alberta are you from? Are you hoping to return to Alberta when you're finished? Also, how did you hear about osteopathic medicine? I've emailed Ted Findlay a few times over the years, but am not aware of many other DOs in the area. I think one other DO is in the province somewhere. Have you heard if there has been any headway on whether or not Alberta is willing to accept the COMLEX as equivalent to the USMLE or Canadian boards?

My wife is from Southern Alberta, a small town outside of Lethbridge. She'd love to go back home, so we're seriously thinking about it. I have 1 1/2 more years of my family practice residency and then plan on doing a sports medicine fellowship. I'm still wondering if and when I should take the Canadian exams. Anyway, best of luck!

hi mkmgal,

I know I have been a suporter of DO program in the past and there was a change of mind based on many factors. I think its great that you finished and got your DO degree and doing residency in allo program. You should not have trouble coming back to Ontario to practice, but I am not sure about Alberta. Findley would know the details.

1) I will not add too much details, but will say that the cost of DO program and difficulty obtaining residency in Canada (slight change of family practice recidency in Ontario, but again, I don't know anyone who matched first round as a DO) is not worth it (in my opinon). You will be 250,000 US in dept and only get a resident salary of 35-40k.

For those who wish to go in to other fields (IM, etc...) DO's will not get to come back and do residency in Canada. However IMG MDs can apply and have a slim chance.

2) Commitement to AOA and two streams of exams. Does not make sense to me.

3) Teaching and lack of research (2 things important to me).

4) I am not going to minipulate or want it to be part of my training. If I did I would of went to P.therapy or chiro program.

5) Also I was in contact with the Canadian Osteopathic Association and actually attended one of the annual meetings. They were nice and doing a good job, but they are a small fish in a big ocean in Canada.

cbest, that is great that you found something that you like. I thought it was the right option for me... and I realized that it was not.

BUT it may be perfect for you.

I posted all the info required on the Canadian forum. It is a sticky under the US medical school section and has all the details you require. (note this info was collected from SDN)

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16718

If you decide to go DO route. Make sure you apply for the Canadian Osteopathic Assoc scholarship... it is a small one, but better than nothing. There were rules limiting this to Canadian born students, but I believed that was changed to Canadian citizens.

Take a look at all your options and decide on what is best for you.

Good luck

I am surprised Australian graduates would have trouble entering the Canadian system, especially since both countries are part of the Commonwealth. Australian medical schools have an excellent reputation. Caribbean graduates, no surprise there.

NO they don't and Australia is prob the least ideal options for Canadians to study medicine.

The health care and training is not the same, even though it is common wealth (which means nothing in medicine).

The US is the closest to Canada in the way you do medical school and do evaluation and licensing.

Last edited:
actually in Ontario DO's can apply to specialties as well as Family med, both in the CMG stream.

$250K seems a bit steep, but then again there's Canadians in Aus and Ireland who can afford that.

hi mkmgal,

I know I have been a suporter of DO program in the past and there was a change of mind based on many factors. I think its great that you finished and got your DO degree and doing residency in allo program. You should not have trouble coming back to Ontario to practice, but I am not sure about Alberta. Findley would know the details.

1) I will not add too much details, but will say that the cost of DO program and difficulty obtaining residency in Canada (slight change of family practice recidency in Ontario, but again, I don't know anyone who matched first round as a DO) is not worth it (in my opinon). You will be 250,000 US in dept and only get a resident salary of 35-40k.

For those who wish to go in to other fields (IM, etc...) DO's will not get to come back and do residency in Canada. However IMG MDs can apply and have a slim chance.

2) Commitement to AOA and two streams of exams. Does not make sense to me.

3) Teaching and lack of research (2 things important to me).

4) I am not going to minipulate or want it to be part of my training. If I did I would of went to P.therapy or chiro program.

5) Also I was in contact with the Canadian Osteopathic Association and actually attended one of the annual meetings. They were nice and doing a good job, but they are a small fish in a big ocean in Canada.

First off, Dr. Findlay practices in Calgary... DOs can practice with a full license in all provinces EXCEPT Saskatchewan.

1) US DO schools, for the most part, are no more expensive than Australian, Irish, or the top 3 or 4 Caribbean schools. The tuition for out-of-state students at the Michigan State College of Osteopathic Medicine is pretty outrageous... I won't argue with that. But the large majority of osteopathic medical schools' tuition is no more costly than any of the international schools. All of the Australian schools cost $30 000 or more per year. The Irish medical schools' tuition is 27 000 Euro per year for their FIVE year programs and a ridiculous 42 000 Euro per year for the four year program at RCSI.

http://solojourney.org/2008-list-of...tion-cost-for-full-fee-paying-internationals/

http://www.atlanticbridge.com/med/faqs/fqindex.htm

So far, I don't think DOs have matched into any other specialties aside from family medicine in Canada; however, I think it can happen. It's not like there have been a huge number of DO applicants in the Carms match. As I mentioned earlier, DOs are matching into allopathic residency programs in ALL specialties in the US. There are definitely options out there! Heck, a student from the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine matched into the Orthopaedic Surgery program at MAYO last year!

2) Yes, the DO route requires its students to complete the COMLEX board exams. This kinda sucks, but you pretty much knock out the studying for the COMLEX exams while studying for the USMLE exams. The only extra material is the OMM portion. In the grand scheme of things, this didn't seem like too big a deal... but that's just my personal opinion.

3) Don't know enough about the research and teaching opportunities in the osteopathic world to make an educated comment. I was never really into research, so this definitely became a non-issue. I always wanted to be amongst the people in the clinical setting and not the lab rats!

4) Not all DOs use their OMM. Those DOs in neurosurgery or radiology wouldn't really need it; however, primary care physicians, PM&R docs, or sports med docs use OMM with wonderful results.

Hope this clears up some issues.

I am also one of the few canucks currently going the DO route. I am fortunate enough to also be a permanent resident of the United States, which is why i) I considered going this route in the first place, and ii) I can easily do a residency here, and not worry about having to match in Canada, or iii) I can choose to simply remain in the US, which is certainly an option worth considering, given my strong family ties here.

If I wasn't a permanent resident, I don't think I would go this route, because of the potential visa problems you'd encounter while applying for residencies in the States, and the extreme difficulty in matching to a residency in Canada. Sure, some ACGME residency may give you a visa if you match, but what if you don't match? And not all ACGME residencies give people visas, as far as I know.

As for residency mathcing in Canada, I do not believe going to a foreign school will give you any significant advantage (compared to DOs). The match rate for foreign grads is pretty awful, no matter where they came from. I believe the match rate for IMGs last year was around 10% in Canada, and there are thousands of IMGs in Canada that are without Jobs.

This is not going to change. The Canadian government has no intentions whatsoever of funding more residency positions.

All in all, I would concur a lot with what Docbill said. It might not be impossible for a DO to practice or match into a residency in Canada, but it certainly limits your options and makes things difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can DO's match in the FIRST round in Ontario to competitive specialties? Last I checked DO's could only do family medicine in Ontario. Is this no longer the case? And if DO's CAN match first round to specialties other than FM, are audition rotations a must in order to match (like at osteopathic residencies)??

Any input would be much appreciated!

Also, do Canadian residencies place as much emphasis on the boards as US programs?

Doc bill, what happened at the DO school?

Doc bill, what happened at the DO school?

Hey Fleshnbone, it would not be fair to discuss personal things on SDN.

My reasons for leaving was what I thought to be logical. I still agree with what I did despite it being difficult and expensive decision. I think DO is an great option for some people, but Canadians should be more careful with this route.

Interestingly enough I get messages from other Canadians at DO programs telling me that that they feel the same and if they could re-do things, they would not go to DO school, instead they would have improved their numbers and went to an MD program or went IMG.

PS. For others reading, don't turn this into an MD vs. DO thing. We don't have too many DOs practicing in Canada and the reasons I listed above is why I don't support DO degree for Canadians. Others will disagree with me.. and that is fine. For US residents, it is all good... they don't have to worry about it.

Hey Fleshnbone, it would not be fair to discuss personal things on SDN.

My reasons for leaving was what I thought to be logical. I still agree with what I did despite it being difficult and expensive decision. I think DO is an great option for some people, but Canadians should be more careful with this route.

Interestingly enough I get messages from other Canadians at DO programs telling me that that they feel the same and if they could re-do things, they would not go to DO school, instead they would have improved their numbers and went to an MD program or went IMG.

PS. For others reading, don't turn this into an MD vs. DO thing. We don't have too many DOs practicing in Canada and the reasons I listed above is why I don't support DO degree for Canadians. Others will disagree with me.. and that is fine. For US residents, it is all good... they don't have to worry about it.

Hey DocBill I would actually like to know what happened to your DO thing too, I remember when I was a first year student, I was reading your posts and rooting for you all the way to become a doc. Are you doing the MD/PhD in UToronto now?

I recently read a letter posted on the CPSA (College of Physicians and Surgeons of Alberta) about the physician shortage in the province. (I'm sure many of their same problems could be expanded to the entire country.) The author, Dr. Theman, mentioned many different options to help alleviate this problem. I was very impressed with his comments, but I noticed he neglected to mention American-trained physicians (both MD and DO) as an option.

I responded with a lengthy letter, explaining the possibility of both American-trained MD and DO physicians. I spent much of the letter educating him about osteopathic physicians and how they can play an important role in alleviating the shortage of primary care physicians, even in under-served areas. I specifically mentioned the barrier of Canadian board certification being another barrier, due to the significant expense and limited location sites for the exams. I proposed that Alberta accept the USMLE and COMLEX as equivalents to Canadian board licensure. Dr. Theman responded with the following email:

Dear Dr. Galbraith,

Under our proposed bylaws (to be enacted once we come under the Health Professions Act) we will accept the COMLEX exams as equivalent to the LMCC for osteopathic practitioners.

Sincerely,

Trevor Theman

I think this is a small step in the right direction. I'm sure there's more to come and more that needs to be done. I agree that DOs are a small fish in a big pond, but they can still play an important role in helping to alleviate the shortage of docs in Canada, even in Alberta. At least we're making progress. If anyone's interested in reading Dr. Theman's letter, you can goto the CPSA's home website (www.CPSA.ca....I think). Also, if anyone's interested in reading my response letter, I'd be more than happy to attach that as well.

Hopefully DOs can continue to expand practice rights and improve understanding throughout the world as we try to inform and educate others about our degree and training. God bless.

That's great news! I think that specialty residency programs should also be open to Canadian DO's in the first round, not just family medicine! And I think COMLEX should be accepted in lieu of having to take the MCCQE (or however it's spelled).

A message from Ted Findlay, DO (President of the Canadian Osteopathic Association):

In Alberta, as in most provinces, the American DO degree, American MD and Canadian MD degree are considered equivalent and the IMG process does not apply. In other words, a DO candidate applies for registration with the CPSA based on the DO credential and acceptable post-graduate training. In Alberta, the DO is eligible to apply for a family medicine or specialist residency position in the same iteration as the Canadian graduates, prior to the IMG match. It is expected that when the new Health Professions Act is enacted hopefully later this year, that COMLEX will be recognized for registration as is already the case in Ontario.

Hope this helps answer your question, and best wishes,

Ted Findlay

A message from Ted Findlay, DO (President of the Canadian Osteopathic Association):

In Alberta, as in most provinces, the American DO degree, American MD and Canadian MD degree are considered equivalent and the IMG process does not apply. In other words, a DO candidate applies for registration with the CPSA based on the DO credential and acceptable post-graduate training. In Alberta, the DO is eligible to apply for a family medicine or specialist residency position in the same iteration as the Canadian graduates, prior to the IMG match. It is expected that when the new Health Professions Act is enacted hopefully later this year, that COMLEX will be recognized for registration as is already the case in Ontario.

Hope this helps answer your question, and best wishes,

Ted Findlay

That's good news, but the question is: Are residency program directors in areas BESIDES family practice willing to accept DOs into their program? I know that in Ontario they more or less only accept DOs in family medicine, though DOs are free to apply for the match, and practice in any area they like - which doesn't make a lot of sense.

That's good news, but the question is: Are residency program directors in areas BESIDES family practice willing to accept DOs into their program? I know that in Ontario they more or less only accept DOs in family medicine, though DOs are free to apply for the match, and practice in any area they like - which doesn't make a lot of sense.

The question is more than if they are willing or not, Carms positions are only little bit more than the numbers of Canadian applicants, and since most directors openly favor their own graduates US MDs and DOs are left to luck...

cbest, that is great that you found something that you like. I thought it was the right option for me... and I realized that it was not.

BUT it may be perfect for you.

I posted all the info required on the Canadian forum. It is a sticky under the US medical school section and has all the details you require. (note this info was collected from SDN)

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16718

If you decide to go DO route. Make sure you apply for the Canadian Osteopathic Assoc scholarship... it is a small one, but better than nothing. There were rules limiting this to Canadian born students, but I believed that was changed to Canadian citizens.

Take a look at all your options and decide on what is best for you.

Good luck

Docbill, do you know where you find the application info for this scholarship? I checked the webiste and couldn't find anything of use. However, there is a very godo summary of how you get into each province as DO which is worth taking a look at for potential DO's

Bump for info as well. I didn't see anything on the website about the scholarship. EhCdnGirl, where are you headed?

I am heading to KCOM in Missouri, USA. I am really excited. I think I discovered last night that I can get federal funding as KCOM is an approved institution. Therefore, with my bank loan and that I may be set, here's hoping.

Are you heading anywhere next fall Pistol? And Canada does not suck, c'mon!

What does "bump for info mean" Sorry I am not very cool when it comes to forum lingo:oops:

Also

I know Canada doesn't suck, just some of their policies can sometimes be frustrating.

I'm not sure where I'm headed as of yet, but for sure it'll be in the US (I didn't apply to Canadian schools). Maybe it'll be an allopathic school, maybe an osteopathic one. Time will tell.

BUMP just means Bring Up My Post. I guess I technically didn't use it right, as it wasn't MY original post, but whatever. I just wanted this thread to stay alive so DocBill can see it and tell us about that scholarship thing.

What do you mean by "I can get federal funding"?? Are you talking about provincial loans? At the moment I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to amass $280,000 as I'm not eligible for US loans of any sort. Sigh...

I know Canada doesn't suck, just some of their policies can sometimes be frustrating.

I'm not sure where I'm headed as of yet, but for sure it'll be in the US (I didn't apply to Canadian schools). Maybe it'll be an allopathic school, maybe an osteopathic one. Time will tell.

BUMP just means Bring Up My Post. I guess I technically didn't use it right, as it wasn't MY original post, but whatever. I just wanted this thread to stay alive so DocBill can see it and tell us about that scholarship thing.

What do you mean by "I can get federal funding"?? Are you talking about provincial loans? At the moment I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to amass $280,000 as I'm not eligible for US loans of any sort. Sigh...

Alright, I just couldn't tell your tone, this is why forums can be VERY misleading!!

I checked teh Canada Student Loans Program and through some very tedious searching found out the school I am going to is under the international accredited schools. I understand there is a bit of a restriction (11,000$ was what I found), but I am going to call and check out how much I could qualify for. Since I am from Ontario they said I apply through OSAP, but that is misleading because it doesn't have an international option. anyways, I am going to call and see what I can coem up with.

What cycle are you applying for, this fall or next?

Well, I've already gotten into a few osteopathic medical schools for Fall 2008, and I'm waiting to see if I'll get into an allopathic one that I interviewed at.

Wish me luck!

Let me know what you find out about the student loans... as far as I know, OSAP only gives $7000 per year for out of country schools.

Well, I've already gotten into a few osteopathic medical schools for Fall 2008, and I'm waiting to see if I'll get into an allopathic one that I interviewed at.

Wish me luck!

Let me know what you find out about the student loans... as far as I know, OSAP only gives $7000 per year for out of country schools.

where have you gotten in for osteopathic? any leanings? what allopathic are you waiting for/hoping for. I am just about to call the loan people, i'll write what i find out soon!

Check out the Bank of Montreal for a loan, too!

It's cpsa.ab.ca .
Keep us updated on your DO as well as US allopathic experiences, and any
adventures including returning to Canada to work.

Hi, I am a first year Canadian D.O. I am just wondering how easy/hard it is for me to go back to Canada and practice family medicine, especially in Alberta?

Whether you perform a family medicine residency in Canada or the US after completing your DO degree, you shouldn't have any problem practicing anywhere in Canada, aside from Saskatechewan (maybe). Most provinces require osteopathic physicians to complete the MCCEE as well as MCCQE 1 and 2, but they're just a few most exams in the long line of exams that any medical student and physician will encounter. I'd suggest taking a look at osteopathic.ca and the respective college of family physician websites of the provinces you're interested in practicing in.

Oh... forgot something... there's an osteopathic family physician in Calgary who also happens to be the president of the Canadian Osteopathic Association, so you can definitely practice in Alberta.

c3c4cam,

Which school are you going to? What do you think of osteopathic medicine so far?

c3c4cam,

Which school are you going to? What do you think of osteopathic medicine so far?

I am going to Des Moine University. There are a few Canadians that I met at this school. I can't describe in words how amazing this school is. So far its been amazing; people are really nice and there is virtually no competetion. The main focus is education/cooperation which makes it a stress free school. The whole school feels like one family. The school has very well rounded people, rather than just plain old nerdy people.

What do I think of Osteopathic Medicine: It is the same as allopathic curriculum- other than the fact that our school has an extra class and a lab on OMM which are really fun. I love OMM labs. We are only 4 weeks in and we do palpations, ranges of motions etc. For example, we have already learned to feel 57 landmarks on the body using our hands, which is amazing. By the end of first year, we will be able to diagnose and treat 8 major problems, which is really cool. Plus it really helps you in any field you go into.

DMU also does a really good job on the little things: eg. free aerobics training/yoga/cycling etc. Alot of clubs (Surgery, ER, Radiology, Family etc). There are always events going on, which makes it a really fun experience. There are peer tutor groups, open office hours for professors, interesting electives (eg. PBL). The library is fabulous, with big cubicles and very good lighting.

If you have any specific quesitons let me know. But overall, I am impressed with the school. You should go on the DMU website and check out the pictures on there. take care

Last edited:
Whether you perform a family medicine residency in Canada or the US after completing your DO degree, you shouldn't have any problem practicing anywhere in Canada, aside from Saskatechewan (maybe). Most provinces require osteopathic physicians to complete the MCCEE as well as MCCQE 1 and 2, but they're just a few most exams in the long line of exams that any medical student and physician will encounter. I'd suggest taking a look at osteopathic.ca and the respective college of family physician websites of the provinces you're interested in practicing in.

What if I take all 3 steps of the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX? Will I still have to take MCCEE and MCCQE 1 and 2? I sure hope not!

DO = IMG status in CaRMS match.

Straight from the mouth of Executive Director Sandra Banner.

What if I take all 3 steps of the USMLE in addition to the COMLEX? Will I still have to take MCCEE and MCCQE 1 and 2? I sure hope not!

From what I understand, this varies by province. I know if you want full practice rights in BC, you have to complete the required MCC exams. In Ontario, though, you can be licensed with just the COMLEX series. Your best bet would be to either complete MCC exams, which should allow you to practice anywhere OR check into things with the provincial college of family physicians or college of physicians and surgeons in the province you want to work in.

Miss Banner ppears to be incorrect :

"General
The CaRMS match at Ontario medical schools will be open to both:

Graduates of LCME/CACMS accredited schools or a school of osteopathic medicine who are Canadian Citizens/Permanent Residents and NOT previously registered in a postgraduate medical training program; (CMG) and
International Medical Graduates (IMG). "

Interesting thread.
Can those of you in DO schools please keep us updated on your progress
and experiences.
Thanks

I'm about 3/4 of my way through first year at a DO school. What do you want to know? So far it's been a lot of work, but it's been pretty awesome. I feel like I'm being prepared really well for USMLE Step 1 / COMLEX 1.

I'm about 3/4 of my way through first year at a DO school. What do you want to know? So far it's been a lot of work, but it's been pretty awesome. I feel like I'm being prepared really well for USMLE Step 1 / COMLEX 1.
where are you doing your DO

I'm about 3/4 of the way through my 2nd year at Lincoln Memorial University in Tennessee. For a kid from Calgary, rural TN presents a bit of a culture shock at first but it's good for the academics because there's not much to do here.

In hindsight, I'm quite pleased with my choice to attend a DO school over a school in Australia, Ireland, or the Caribbean. If I'd had the grades and MCAT scores to crack an MD school either back home or the US, I would have taken that route but that wasn't an option I had a couple years back. While it's still really early in the game, I feel as though I'm receiving the training I need to become a competent and well-rounded physician. I feel like the DO path will allow me to achieve my future professional goals and that I'll be able to provide good health care service to my future patients.

As for right now, it's all about doing as well as I can on my USMLE and COMLEX exams and then getting ready to finally deal with patients on a regular basis. Towards the end of 2nd year, you'll find it more and more difficult to be cooped up in a lecture hall and then a study room.

If anyone ever has any questions about attending a DO school, feel free to PM me.