Another one: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oooogamy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Urologists of SDN, I'm sorry to have you put you through this mental masturbation but I'm looking for some advice.I am an M3 and for the past year or so I was thinking of going into ENT but I recently discovered Urology. I realize it's late in the game but I wanted to get some feedback on what my chances are before I start delving deeper into this seemingly awesome specialty:

School: I go to a low-tier private US M.D. school with no home Uro program. Our school doesn't have the best reputation (somewhat of a "degree mill" reputation) and while we match well for Ortho, Neurosurg, etc. we only match 1 or 2 Uro every few years (if that). I think this will be my biggest detriment.
Step 1: 263
Clinical grades: All honors thus-far
Research: I have 4 peer-reviewed publications and 6 abstracts/poster presentations. The problem is they are mostly in a different surgical sub-specialty, and mostly before med school. I also did an NIH-funded Medical Student Summer Research Program between M1/M2 but it was in a completely different field.

I have lots of community service and leadership experience and some fun/interesting hobbies (if this matters at all). I think I would interview relatively well, am pretty laid back, and tend to get along with most people.

I could squeeze in 3-4 away rotations in Uro before September and reach out to Urologists to try to get a case report or retrospective review.

Taking all of this into account, is it worth even trying for Uro this cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a pretty strong chance with your grades and scores. You have good research experience which will help you even if it's not urology. You will just have to explain your change of heart, which shouldn't be a big deal.

You definitely need to do at least 3 away rotations, do well, and get good letters. Try to get in with the urologists at your home institution. Might have a small research project and can certainly help you with connections in urology.

The time to set up away rotations is yesterday. Start researching and reaching out to programs now.

Members don't see this ad :)
You will be just fine. Don't necessarily need any Uro specific research since you have good research in order surgical specialties. I would recommend doing an away in July or August with a place that has a big named chair and kill it. You'll get lots of interviews based on your step 1, but at least 1 great letter from a big named chair will get you the top tier places.

You'll do just fine with your step 1 score and grades. Definitely delay step 2 CK until after September. Just make sure that you work hard on your away rotations and get good letters. With your score, if you have good letters, you'll easily match.

@Oooogamy Just lurking around, why did you decide to switch from ENT to Urology? Tryna find out as much as I can about literally every specialty so I have *some* idea of what I wanna specialize in before med school in a few months

Best of luck matching!

I am not practicing in the US. Anyway, as I rode from the thread I think you have significant chance to match. I hope the best for you. Take care!