“Anonymity”

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1111261

I would caution every anonymous person on this board to be extremely careful with any details of your life that can allow people to figure out who you are. There are members that have recently been called at work, and they are as anonymous as can be.

I think the powers that be at ASTRO are unhappy with criticism and with their power and authority being threatened. They want to shut down discussion here. They also want to shut down voices on ROHub like mine and keep me off any possible committees.

I urge the free speech continue, but be very careful.

There is a sense of war and I don’t like it.

Simul

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 20 users
This is why anonymity is everything. Give nothing. Admit to nothing. Nobody needs to know who you are. It is an idea like plubius. Many are after what is behind the mask. “We are anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. “

Reactions: 2 users
What the hell?

Your anonymity is not being leaked by SDN or me. I can guarantee you of that.

My identity is already compromised for what it is worth. But, I will never betray anyone's trust.

When the dust settles, please someone hire me.

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What the hell?

Your anonymity is not being leaked by SDN or me. I can guarantee you of that.

My identity is already compromised for what it is worth. But, I will never betray anyone's trust.

When the dust settles, please someone hire me.
I’m anonymous. But if you really want to know who I am, I’ll drop some hints…

I’m the former supreme leader and emperor of the Empire and oversaw rad onc for the ABR for many years too as a side gig. I have the thinnest skin of anyone you’ve ever met and will threaten to sue you in a heartbeat if you so much as fart in my general direction. Principal Rooney and Lord Voldemort are my best buds. I hate dogs and old people.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 11 users
Screw em.

There are those of us stupid enough out there to quit our jobs without another lined up.

Saying the truth about what you think makes you a man. Parroting a party line of nonsense and obvious lies to protect your position makes you a coward. Telling the truth is NEVER wrong.

This is why anonymity is everything. Give nothing. Admit to nothing. Nobody needs to know who you are. It is an idea like plubius. Many are after what is behind the mask. “We are anonymous. We are legion. We do not forgive. We do not forget. “
V For Vendetta GIF

Not hard to vote with your feet and cancel your ASTRO membership and join ACRO.

Honestly, if you are in private or community practice, i have to ask why are you still a member of an organization that hates you, thinks you deliver inferior care and pimps conventionally-fractionated protons and high costs sites of care over your practice and livelihood? ASTRO certainly isn't helping society or healthcare delivery at large here either.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Not to get political (seriously, not trying to derail the thread focus on the quote please) but this clip from an interview with Ramaswamy seems super relevant.

You want to know the best measure of the health of a democracy? ... It's the percentage of people who feel free to say what they actually think in public.

Reactions: 3 users
Not to get political (seriously, not trying to derail the thread focus on the quote please) but this clip from an interview with Ramaswamy seems super relevant.

Say what you want but there may be consequences if you do it openly.

Meanwhile in anonymity...freedom rulez.

FASTRO?

NO.. F ASTRO!

SDN should do what Elon Musk has done at Twitter - if you suffer repercussions at work for what you post here, SDN should fund your legal fees.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not too worried. I actually wouldn't mind getting fired from my current job and have zero interest in working for the Wash U's or fill in the blank "academic" centers of the world.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Allow me to say in the strongest possible terms that doxxing is against our Terms of Service. If anyone can be shown to be leaking anyone's personal information on SDN, that person will be banned, no questions asked. In case anyone is wondering, all of our moderators are bound by an NDA and are legally not permitted to leak personal information. If you know of someone leaking personal information, please let either @Neuronix , @evilbooyaa , or myself know and we will look into it.

That said, we aren't wizards and can't police everything. For example, I can't look into private PMs without being invited to the conversation by one of the participants. I obviously can't prevent someone from calling their friends or chatting at a conference and sharing information that you shared privately. So, be careful with your personal information. If you share your information with someone you think is a friend, there is a good chance we won't be able to protect you from yourself if that relationship goes sour.

Lastly, I am proud of the discussions we have on SDN, and in particular in the rad onc forum. While it is never going to be perfect, I think this is an important space where people can have a free and honest discussion with colleagues. This doesn't work if people have to be paranoid that their colleagues are trying to gain access to their personal information or are going to out them IRL. So if you value SDN as a place to have these discussions, treat your colleagues the way you would want to be treated, and don't share anyone's personal information or try to gain access to anyone's identity.

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 23 users
I too am curious how someone's identity was determined with such certainty that it resulted in a phone call and what the nature of that phone call was. I am going to take a wild guess that this occurred in an academic setting. Those universities... such champions of free speech and thought exchange. I will never work for one again.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
There is an ongoing underground sludge war in our field against free speech and open discourse. People feel very threatened by information being known and discussed. Our field is just too small and that lends itself to petty individuals having tons of power. It leads to mob like behavior where people are softly threatened (“it would be a shame if a phone call was made” “it would be a shame if you did not get a job”). I have had multiple people DM me asking me who i am over the years. I want to say most of them/all mean well but there is no way to know. Extreme paranoia, this is the way.

Reactions: 5 users
"Oh no! You mean, I'll never get another poster presentation at ASTRO or Red Urinal article accepted for publication. Whatever shall I do???"

• Haha
  • Love
(“it would be a shame if a phone call was made” “it would be a shame if you did not get a job”).

Those threats only work in fields with rigged job markets. ASTRO reps not-so-curiously refuse to even comment on the workforce. ASTRO represents the universities.

You think a dental student gives a damn if their dean tells them this? Oh you're going to call the bank and tell them not to give me a loan to open my own practice because I said something mean online? Are you going to call the billboard company too and tell them to reject my ads? Good luck, I think they'll take my money though.

• Haha
(“it would be a shame if a phone call was made” “it would be a shame if you did not get a job”).
For an organization obsessed with the anti-trust implications of judiciously limiting residency slots, seems that any follow thorough on threats like these could be grounds for tortious interference. Ironic.

• Wow
For an organization obsessed with the anti-trust implications of judiciously limiting residency slots, seems that any follow thorough on threats like these could be grounds for tortious interference. Ironic.
Yep, if I were on the receiving end of that, I would be contacting a lawyer immediately.

Knew a guy with one of these he would take to every meeting with admin...

Well, it won't let me link to amazon for some reason, but just search for "4K Hidden Pen Camera "

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several recorders, haven't gotten into the pens yet though.

I have that TCTEC one, and then another one from a company called "Recjoy" that looks like a regular USB device.

I also have one of the "regular" looking ones that you would think people would ask about but - nope.

We live in the future now though. Lots of great cell phone apps.

Those threats only work in fields with rigged job markets. ASTRO reps not-so-curiously refuse to even comment on the workforce. ASTRO represents the universities.

It's hard to understate how authoritarian ASTRO is acting this year. Do they even represent universities? Or do they represent their president and like a few policy execs?

ASTRO summer news 2023: "Diminishing workforce is one of the most urgent issues facing radiation oncology"

Our workforce is whatever ASTRO needs it to be for the day's narrative. Isn't that right @Rad Onc SK ?

Were are dialoging. This is great :)

Yeah well what I'm guessing they are thinking is..

You can take this (dia)log and shove it where the sun don't shine. You'll take your 350k W2 working for us and like it, beyotch.

SK has left the building

Yep, if I were on the receiving end of that, I would be contacting a lawyer immediately.
The more i talk to people the more i hear similar stories of people being soft threatened like that by “leaders”, “chairs”, “mentors”, etc. it happens more commonly than people think. The joys of our moblike field.

The more i talk to people the more i hear similar stories of people being soft threatened like that by “leaders”, “chairs”, “mentors”, etc. it happens more commonly than people think. The joys of our moblike field.
Going to become worse as jobs become more scarce. Also departments will become more mailgnant for younger faculty as mobility is shut down.

How anonymous is anonymous here? I'm new to the forums, very experienced radonc after more than a couple of decades, very realistic, and very appreciative of this forums discussions and points of view. Before becoming more active and knowing how radoncs eat their own across the field, I was interested in colleagues experiences as far as assessing the vulnerability related to discussing reality here? Any horror stories or heroic achievements that can be shared? Very appreciative of some experienced voices helping provide a confidence to affect patient and physician centered change.

How anonymous is anonymous here? I'm new to the forums, very experienced radonc after more than a couple of decades, very realistic, and very appreciative of this forums discussions and points of view. Before becoming more active and knowing how radoncs eat their own across the field, I was interested in colleagues experiences as far as assessing the vulnerability related to discussing reality here? Any horror stories or heroic achievements that can be shared? Very appreciative of some experienced voices helping provide a confidence to affect patient and physician centered change.
Very anonymous, in a sense. Short of a court-ordered subpoena, SDN itself is very unlikely to "expose" anyone. Since they're a private entity, technically they can do whatever they want, but I've been coming here for 20 years and never seen anything of the sort, or even the hint of such a thing.

Where the "threat" comes from is how much you reveal about yourself, if you consistently use the same account. Since RadOnc is small, it's easier to identify someone based on their stories if you pay attention.

But it's still difficult. I know who some posters are on here, either because we've talked about it in real life, or I've been told by friends-of-friends, that sort of thing. However, I've only been able to "figure out" one or two folks based on their stories, because there's VERY FEW people who post enough to see a pattern, and of those people, most are very careful about what details they reveal.

This is actually my third account, in part for those reasons. My first account appears to have been automatically deleted because I stopped using SDN for some years while I was in med school/PhD. Then, when I got back into it, I used a second moniker from ~2012-2018. I had made enough posts that I felt like it was clear who I was, and I wanted to transition into more of the protest/advocacy/whatever you want to call it, and didn't want to be identified. Hence, I made the ESE account in 2019. Because the world of RadOnc has shifted so drastically between 2019-today, and I'm completely done with all training/board certification/jobs etc, I don't really see myself switching accounts again. But I know it's an option - and it's an option for everyone else, too.

I will say this: I know why @RealSimulD started this thread. It's pretty classic RadOnc shenanigans.

So to anyone concerned: even if you think you know who I am, prove it. Even if I've told you in real life, to your face, who I am - can you prove it?

A great example is @RealSimulD himself - or herself. Gun to my head, I cannot prove who is actually behind that account. Obviously, this is just an example haha - I'm just illustrating the point, because the internet tricks our brains. We're inherently trusting, as a species, and our brains look for patterns and fill in gaps. It's why we can see shapes in the clouds, or why there's an entire branch of philosophy dedicated to logical fallacies.

I have zero concerns about my activity here. First, everything I say here, I basically am willing to say in real life, with my own name - and often have. But second - short of SDN handing over the IP addresses used on my account, and then those IP addresses being matched to billing data with ISPs, and then that being confirmed with my personal location details indicating it was most like me and not someone spoofing/hacking my IP...that takes actual law enforcement powers. And the FBI isn't getting involved because some podunk Chair thinks being criticized is the same as being canceled.

I haven't heard any horror stories from SDN, as in someone said something and then faced real life consequences (and if that has happened, again - it's because someone admitted to owning an account - NEVER ADMIT ANYTHING).

Heroic stories, however? I mean...the world woke up to the systemic imbalance of the highly regulated RadOnc economic system. Of course, that's multifactorial - but if you run a thought experiment of the last 5 years, with and without SDN, would things look the same?

I doubt it.

Where can I find the SCAROP salary data?
And what happened to SirSpam?

• Haha
I guess my question is what would happen if someone did find out who you were?

What would a “horror story” look like?

I guess my question is what would happen if someone did find out who you were?

What would a “horror story” look like?
Not getting a job you really wanted, for whatever reason, because someone was offended by something you said on SDN. Or just found out you were an “SDN user.” “Must not be very professional.” “Doesn’t have the kind of personality we’re going for.” “He wrote that prostate PTV margins can be sub-5mm; seems like a dangerous doctor.”

• Haha
Not getting a job you really wanted, for whatever reason, because someone was offended by something you said on SDN. Or just found out you were an “SDN user.” “Must not be very professional.” “Doesn’t have the kind of personality we’re going for.” “He wrote that prostate PTV margins can be sub-5mm; seems like a dangerous doctor.”
“They wrote they wouldn’t give RNI for N+ breast patients”

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Disruptive physician.

I have been labelled this having nothing to do with SDN.

It's another one of these terms like "professionalism" that just get thrown around when someone senior to you doesn't like something you said or did.

But, some things need to be disrupted. Not all processes are perfect.

For example, when patient safety is impacted, the process needs to be disrupted.

I take it to be a good thing at times. See Google definition: (of a company or form of technology) causing radical change in an existing industry or market through being innovative.

Rad onc sure could use some radical change for the better, I think.

One can only suspect they don't get an answer to a job application or get a job post-interview over stuff like this. A lot of people know who I am, so I definitely suspect it. I haven't gotten a response to my applications for ASTRO committees for years, and when I was on them I was highly productive.

• Love
I have been labelled this having nothing to do with SDN.

It's another one of these terms like "professionalism" that just get thrown around when someone senior to you doesn't like something you said or did.

But, some things need to be disrupted. Not all processes are perfect.

For example, when patient safety is impacted, the process needs to be disrupted.

I take it to be a good thing at times. See Google definition: (of a company or form of technology) causing radical change in an existing industry or market through being innovative.

Rad onc sure could use some radical change for the better, I think.

One can only suspect they don't get an answer to a job application or get a job post-interview over stuff like this. A lot of people know who I am, so I definitely suspect it. I haven't gotten a response to my applications for ASTRO committees for years, and when I was on them I was highly productive.
Subconsciously, we all know rad onc is very oversupplied. Offering an opportunity to another rad onc… whether committees or notoriety or a financial bonus etc… means in the back of one’s mind: I might be taking some opportunity away from myself! And also, many rad oncs are just flaming bungholes. That affects things too.

Subconsciously, we all know rad onc is very oversupplied. Offering an opportunity to another rad onc… whether committees or notoriety or a financial bonus etc… means in the back of one’s mind: I might be taking some opportunity away from myself! And also, many rad oncs are just flaming bungholes. That affects things too.
and if some of us were to lose our jobs, there is a very high chance, would be separated from kids. I am not sure why there is not more outrage in the field over this. I know of cases where it has happened.

Reactions: 4 users
and if some of us were to lose our jobs, there is a very high chance, would be separated from kids. I am not sure why there is not more outrage in the field over this. I know of cases where it has happened.
Because if we really got outraged, we would actually have to be a little bit outraged (and angry) at our own selves. And many people are not Ok with or good at that. I’m horrible at it.

Reactions: 1 user
Does #womenwhocurie offer support for homes wrecked by the worst job market in medicine?

• Haha