Annual Medicare wellness exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Obtuse illness

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After reviewing the statistics of our practice, a disappointing 12% of our Medicare population has actually come in for their fully covered, no copay annual wellness assessment.

I am pondering which strategies would be the most beneficial for increasing this number, and I though I would bounce the idea off you guys to see if there were any proven methods as well as some new ideas out there.

Keep in mind the majority of Medicare patients are over 65.
Ideas include a phone call, mail letter, email, handout while in clinic, flyers/reminders in the lobby and patient rooms.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

We have a case manager calling Medicare patients to get them in.

I am not a fan of email. I have too many older patients who just don't know how to use it. This spans all ethnicities, all socioeconomic statuses, etc. If I'm lucky, they have a son or daughter (or niece/nephew) that can help, but that's not reliable either.

I've found it extremely difficult to get patients to come in for a separate appointment just for this exam (even though it's "free" to them). We've simply been doing them during a regular appointment (most of the work is done by staff, so it doesn't really slow me down that much). You can bill for the AWV along with an E&M code using Modifier 25.

Reactions: 1 user