Aneurysm Clipping

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlackSails

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I realize it is way too early for me to bother thinking about this, but I saw a clipping today, and I want to be a neurosurgeon. It was ****ing awesome. The aneurysm was like this giant balloon thing, and the attending was talking to the residents like they were trying to disarm a bomb.

That said, what things should I keep in mind for the next few years (im in undergrad) if I want to do neurosurgery?

Members don't see this ad.

get lots of sleep because in 8 years or so you'll start your pgy-2 year and not have much time to sleep anymore

Good to hear open vascular NS excites you ! NS is by far the most interesting field of medicine to some of us, and it's nice to see it still awes newcomers. If I were you, I'd focus on getting into med school first. In the meantime, if you can shadow more neurosurgeons, then by all means do it. It's also never too early to join a neuroscience research project, if you're interested. Good luck !

Members don't see this ad :)
The part you didn't feel was the stress. There may be some out there that don't stress during a clipping. However, several docs have told me that each one takes a year off of their lifespan.

I'm just assisting and it stresses me out. One of the docs I work with actually gets really severe leg cramps right after he places the clip.

That parts not so cool, but I agree with you that they are fascinating to watch.

-Mike

Tell me about it. I haven't assisted on any aneurysms yet, since we don't do that many here; however, I just assisted on a tumor yesterday, and I think my anus was shut tight the whole case.

Oh, man, if I don't get to do neurosurgery, I think I'll kill myself. Today I assisted on another crani for a tumor (glioblastoma :( ), and he had me inserting cottonoids into the brain and under the tumor. I almost shat myself with glee.

Oh, man, if I don't get to do neurosurgery, I think I'll kill myself. Today I assisted on another crani for a tumor (glioblastoma :( ), and he had me inserting cottonoids into the brain and under the tumor. I almost shat myself with glee.

If you get into medical school and actually choose to do neurosurgery, I would like to see if you have the same attitude when you finish residency.

If you can maintain that youthful enthusiasm through 11 years of beatdown, inspite of spousal pressures, my hat is off to you....

...also you might be bipolar. ;)

You only get one chance to live your life - do what makes you happy.

Oh, I'm fairly certain that I'm bipolar. ;) I know it's a long road, and most people change what specialty they want during med school, so right now I'm just kind of going with the flow. :) Nothing has excited me this much, though, and hopefully it will stay that way.

As far as spousal pressure goes, my wife-to-be would probably rather me be a family physician or a pediatron, but she certainly doesn't want me to do something in which I have no interest.