Online resource for names of clips/plates/etc.?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EUA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in the pathology department where we routinely perform gross examinations on explanted hardware from neurosurgical patients. Lots of shunts, valves, plates, screws, etc. and I know that all these must have proper names (eponyms, probably), which pathology residents simply don't know. I would like to locate a resource that names these items -- preferably with pictures -- that we can use as a reference in the gross room so that the residents can refer to these materials by their proper names. Any guidance on where I may find such a resource would be most appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Such a thing probably doesn't exist and most of the things you mention don't have eponsyms. A shunt is named for it's location (ventriculo-peritoneal, -pleural, -atrial, etc. or lumboperitoneal, cystosubarachnoid, etc.). The valves themselves are just named by the manufacturer. Common ones in use today include Codman (Johnson & Johnson), Medtronic has Strata, Delta, and PS Medical Sophysa, etc.

Plates have a variety of names named for what they look like. Burr hole covers are named as such. Small metal bars that look like dog bones...we call them dog bones.

Take a photograph and ask via e-mail your local neurosurgeon.