Anesthesiology Hopeful, looking for advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonDO

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am currently matriculating to a DO school in the south. And would like to stay in the south after graduation. However, I have noticed that not many southern academic centers are DO friendly yet (Who knows with the rapid southern DO school expansions).

Anyways, during the past year I have done lots of shadowing in a variety of specialties, from FM/IM/PEDS to RADS/ANES/DERM (One can dream right? LOL). After all my experiences, Anesthesiology seemed to interest me the most, I understand that my interests can change during school. However, If I continue to like gas, how do you say I pace myself when it comes to EC, Boards, GPA, etc? I know that ANES isn't hyper competitive like DERM/RADS/ORTHO/ENT for DO's, as said by an MD I shadowed and NRMP data. But it is competitive!

Towards my next question, I'd like to aim to match somewhere in either of the Carolina's (love the area and fiancé, thus leaning towards NC), however UNC and Duke seem to have zero DO's other than faculty and fellows in their anes departments. Wake Forest has a few DO's in each class 1-2. MUSC in SC has about 1-3 in each class.

How would you recommend I approach this situation? Do research at Duke/UNC/Wake? Write Email's for shadowing in their departments? I was thinking of emailing DO's in their departments to start somewhat of a relationship. Or do NOT even attempt with Duke & UNC? If so, what programs do y'all recommend I look into location wise?

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to explain what's going on well. I know this is VERY PREMATURE, but I appreciate any and all help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
So are you going to be starting, as a first year, at a DO school in the next few weeks? Unless you've done some type of masters program where you've already done the first year of med school, your focus for the entire first semester should be getting good grades in your classes. The thing about medical school is that you don't really know where you'll end up compared to your classmates. I've seen people from prestigious universities struggle to pass and I've seen people that were rejected as high school students from those same prestigious universities that are now at the top of the class. Your goal should be to pass and then as you improve upon your study habits then your goal should be to move into 80's/90s range on exams.

There is some chance that you come into med school and rock every exam and have time left over. If that's the case then worry about how you can make yourself a strong anesthesia applicant. However, chances are that the first few months are going to be a struggle to learn how to learn at a fast pace. It would be really dumb to spend signifiant time contacting these prestigious universities if your exam grades are borderline passing.

If I were you I'd concentrate on getting really good at learning the methods that work best for you to get your grades into the 80's/90's and then second semester figure out how you can do things to be more competitive for anesthesia.

Reactions: 5 users
So are you going to be starting, as a first year, at a DO school in the next few weeks? Unless you've done some type of masters program where you've already done the first year of med school, your focus for the entire first semester should be getting good grades in your classes. The thing about medical school is that you don't really know where you'll end up compared to your classmates. I've seen people from prestigious universities struggle to pass and I've seen people that were rejected as high school students from those same prestigious universities that are now at the top of the class. Your goal should be to pass and then as you improve upon your study habits then your goal should be to move into 80's/90s range on exams.

There is some chance that you come into med school and rock every exam and have time left over. If that's the case then worry about how you can make yourself a strong anesthesia applicant. However, chances are that the first few months are going to be a struggle to learn how to learn at a fast pace. It would be really dumb to spend signifiant time contacting these prestigious universities if your exam grades are borderline passing.

If I were you I'd concentrate on getting really good at learning the methods that work best for you to get your grades into the 80's/90's and then second semester figure out how you can do things to be more competitive for anesthesia.

Thank you for your response! I completely agree with your post and think it would indeed wise to wait until second semester to contact individuals. Which I will! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
First and foremost just be the best medical student you can. After you get settled in then look for research you can do the summer between M1/M2

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all!

I am currently matriculating to a DO school in the south. And would like to stay in the south after graduation. However, I have noticed that not many southern academic centers are DO friendly yet (Who knows with the rapid southern DO school expansions).

Anyways, during the past year I have done lots of shadowing in a variety of specialties, from FM/IM/PEDS to RADS/ANES/DERM (One can dream right? LOL). After all my experiences, Anesthesiology seemed to interest me the most, I understand that my interests can change during school. However, If I continue to like gas, how do you say I pace myself when it comes to EC, Boards, GPA, etc? I know that ANES isn't hyper competitive like DERM/RADS/ORTHO/ENT for DO's, as said by an MD I shadowed and NRMP data. But it is competitive!

Towards my next question, I'd like to aim to match somewhere in either of the Carolina's (love the area and fiancé, thus leaning towards NC), however UNC and Duke seem to have zero DO's other than faculty and fellows in their anes departments. Wake Forest has a few DO's in each class 1-2. MUSC in SC has about 1-3 in each class.

How would you recommend I approach this situation? Do research at Duke/UNC/Wake? Write Email's for shadowing in their departments? I was thinking of emailing DO's in their departments to start somewhat of a relationship. Or do NOT even attempt with Duke & UNC? If so, what programs do y'all recommend I look into location wise?

I apologize for the long post, but I wanted to explain what's going on well. I know this is VERY PREMATURE, but I appreciate any and all help!

I wouldn't really lump Rads in with the other ones you listed. There's a 240 average Step 1, but people with much lower scores have still matched as long as they're willing to be geographically flexible. Several residencies filled with DOs and Caribbean students. You could likely match it if you're motivated from the start (unless you straight up would rather does anesthesiology, I just didn't want you to think it was as hard as those surgical subspecialties/derm and rule it out).

I wouldn't really lump Rads in with the other ones you listed. There's a 240 average Step 1, but people with much lower scores have still matched as long as they're willing to be geographically flexible. Several residencies filled with DOs and Caribbean students. You could likely match it if you're motivated from the start (unless you straight up would rather does anesthesiology, I just didn't want you to think it was as hard as those surgical subspecialties/derm and rule it out).

Thank you so much for clarifying that! I've always just heard RADS is nuts. I shadowed an interventional radiologist and I guess he was referring to IR in specific. I see you're also matriculating! Congrats! :)

Thank you so much for clarifying that! I've always just heard RADS is nuts. I shadowed an interventional radiologist and I guess he was referring to IR in specific. I see you're also matriculating! Congrats! :)

Yeah there's new integrated IR residencies where it shaves off I think a year instead of doing a fellowship after IR and those are CRAZY competitive, but if you're cool with any other DR specialty, pretty much anyone could do it with a slightly good score and a willingness to be flexible. :)

And thanks! I might be at the same school you're going to in the South, you should message me.

Last edited: