Anatomy text: Pasquini, Budras, etc.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aspiringDVM

AU CVM c/o 2014!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our booklist includes three required and three recommended texts.
Required texts:
Dyce's Textbook of Veterinary Anatomy,
Miller's Anatomy of the Dog, and
Evans and Delahunta's Guide for the Dissection of the Dog.

Recommended books are:
Pasquini's Anatomy of Domestic Animals,
Budras' Anatoomy of the Dog, and
Done et al's Color Atlas of Veterinary Anatomy

I'd really appreciate input re: which of the recommended texts you've found most helpful, as I'd prefer not to shell out $300 for three more books if the material is covered in the required books or if one of the recommended books would suffice.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

PASQUINIS!!!

I can't say enough about that book. I only had it for 2nd semester anatomy (large animal) but wish so much I would have had it for first semester. It helped tremendously and was very worth the money (which I think it isn't terribly expensive).

We also were required to use Dissection of the Dog. For me, and for a lot of my classmates, it wasn't enough to use to study.I don't know much about the other books, but Pasquinis was my favorite supplemental text.

which pasquinis? i've seen several different color covers (neon green, red, blue, etc).

the red one is the 11th edition, i'm guessing this is the most recent

Members don't see this ad :)
aspiringDVM and rileyroo -

when did you get the book list? I have not received one. Can you find it online?

aspiringDVM and rileyroo -

when did you get the book list? I have not received one. Can you find it online?

it was sent in an email (auburn email) from karalie miller. the subject was about preorder. pm me your email address and i'll forward it to you, i have it downloaded on my desktop.

which pasquinis? i've seen several different color covers (neon green, red, blue, etc).

the red one is the 11th edition, i'm guessing this is the most recent

11 is the most recent.

I didn't use any of the supplemental texts you've listed (so I don't have any direct experience) but some of my classmates used Pasquini's for the large animal stuff and swear by it. If you want more resources, and I'd recommend Saunder's Veterinary Anatomy Flash Cards. They are awesome and I wish they'd been available when we were learning the dog!

I have the blue covered one, but I'm not sure what edition that is...I think some of the versions have the cat also, but mine didn't. It just had cow, horse, dog, and a few small ruminants every once in awhile. Not having the cat wasn't a big deal for me because we didn't study cat anatomy, but if you think your class will be, you might want to get the version with the cat included (I think the newest ones do, but am not sure).

I found Dyce to be somewhat on the worthless side. There was a lot of information in there, don't get me wrong, but it required a lot of reading to get the most info out of it....which rarely happened.

If, for instance, you wanted to learn about the larynx - you would have to read the larynx "overview" in the first half, and then find where the larynx was discussed for each species in order to get a decent understanding. Just a lot of reading, poorly organized, and not really all that helpful.

Miller's is a great text. Dissection of the dog is a good (and helpful) resource for lab. Pasquini, I think, has excellent images.

I'm sure the library has copies for you to use if you decide not to buy something prior to the semester. You'll always have the option to buy once you see what you need/want.

I like DeLahunta and Pasquini's....I didn't find Dyce to be very helpful.

If you have extra funds (wishful thinking, right?!), I HIGHLY recommend König & Liebich "Veterinary Anatomy of Domestic Animals." WOW! What a great book...suuuper expensive, though. :(

I managed very well with DeLahunta and Pasquini (with a few visits to anatomy websites as a supplement).

Best of luck!

If you have extra funds (wishful thinking, right?!), I HIGHLY recommend König & Liebich "Veterinary Anatomy of Domestic Animals." WOW! What a great book...suuuper expensive, though. :(

i just looked up this book, super expensive...but i could look "inside" on amazon...LOOKS SO NICE. they have figures of multiple species for each chapter. really good photos!! especially the skull, looks like a real life photo and it is soo crisp and clear i can see every teenie indent! i'm sure it would be better to study than a flat picture drawing. soo much $$$ tho lol sighh

Thanks for all the input everyone! I appreciate it :) Looks like I'll be ordering Pasquini's for now and wait to see if I need the others down the road. Thanks again!

Has anyone actually purchased Konig & Liebich "Veterinay Anatomy of Domestic Animals"? It looks absolutely amazing!!!! I couldn't find it for less than $399 though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone actually purchased Konig & Liebich "Veterinay Anatomy of Domestic Animals"? It looks absolutely amazing!!!! I couldn't find it for less than $399 though.

lol this book is all the rage now! my friend and i have been drooling over it since we heard about it but the price is just insane. You can get it for $300 on amazon but it is sold from another party, which is usually ok, but this is sooo much money i wouldnt want to risk it.

I just bought Pasquini's book, i realized it is almost the same length as Konig but 1/4 the price, and people have given good feedback. I'm sure Konig is an AMAZING book and well worth the money, i just havent decided if it is worth MY money since i dont have a ton lol

i will be super jealous once the first SDNer buys this book and starts recommending it, it looks so beautiful!!

I think it really depends on what your instructor emphasizes as to what books will be most helpful, but here's my 2 cents for what its worth.

Our booklist includes three required and three recommended texts.
Required texts:
Miller's Anatomy of the Dog - pretty worthless, very wordy, some good pics
Evans and Delahunta's Guide for the Dissection of the Dog- absolutely required (get an older edition if you like to color the pages, the newest edition is already colored with glossy pages

Recommended books are:
Pasquini's Anatomy of Domestic Animals-very helpful reference for both SA & LA anatomy, (I know you've already made your decision on this one)
Budras' Anatoomy of the Dog- Personally I think this is one of the most underated books out there, I LOOOVEE Budras especially the horse and cow versions. But these are pretty expensive and scarce. PIck one up if you have extra cash or can get a used copy.
Done et al's Color Atlas of Veterinary Anatomy- never used

Okay, (I know Im gonna regret spilling the beans about this one, but here goes-lol) I would definatly buy a copy of the dissection guide and Pasquini and Budras if you can get them. But as far as the other books....CHECK the library!!!! and Chegg.com (Hello-textbook rental!!-can you say the best thing since sliced bread). Chegg rents Dyce for 24 bucks!
These are untapped secret resources..(shhhh dont tell anyone;)) If your library doesnt have a copy of the Dyce and Miller's that you can check out then check with the interlibrary loan service. I had over 8 books for anatomy and I only purchased 2 of those. With the ability to renew the books I checked out, I was able to keep all of them thru finals.

Some other books you didnt mention that I found VERY helpful...
Veterinary anatomy: basic, comparative, and clinical / by M.J. Shively
Locomotor system of the domestic mammals / by Richard Nickel
:bang:I lived in these books for LA :prof:

Good luck! 2 things are most certain...Your nose WILL eventually become resistant to the smell of formaldehyde :help: and the best thing about anatomy is disposing of your cadaver at the end of the term!:beat:

thanks SOO much for all the information LVT2DVM!

congrats on completing your first year of vet school! :D

lol this book is all the rage now! my friend and i have been drooling over it since we heard about it but the price is just insane. You can get it for $300 on amazon but it is sold from another party, which is usually ok, but this is sooo much money i wouldnt want to risk it.

I just bought Pasquini's book, i realized it is almost the same length as Konig but 1/4 the price, and people have given good feedback. I'm sure Konig is an AMAZING book and well worth the money, i just havent decided if it is worth MY money since i dont have a ton lol

i will be super jealous once the first SDNer buys this book and starts recommending it, it looks so beautiful!!

Where did you find Pasquini? Were you able to get it used, for the 11th edition?

Where did you find Pasquini? Were you able to get it used, for the 11th edition?

Not sure about 11th edition used, if you look at it on Amazon there are a ton of used copies but you have to go through them carefully because each is a different edition.

i got mine new from UC Davis

I was wondering if anyone had tried Saunders Veterinary Anatomy Coloring Book? I see that cuitlamiztli used the Saunders Veterinary Anatomy Flash Cards, but has anyone tried this?

My sister swore by something similar in human anatomy and the lab handouts in undergrad (animal anatomy) were hit or miss.

I was wondering if anyone had tried Saunders Veterinary Anatomy Coloring Book?

I haven't, but I also swore by something similar during (human) anatomy in high school. Those color plates helped me immensely! I did pick up a similar-ish color book for anatomy of the dog; used it some, but ended up scanning the images (which weren't as in depth as I'd have liked) and using them in conjunction with images from the acquired texts, etc.

I definitely would've checked out Saunder's if it had been published before spring semester started.

Question: are these just terminology or like, origins, insertions, and actions?

They're pretty much just numbered images on one side and the names of the structures on the other.

EDIT: The 'table of contents' can be found here: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/bookdescription.cws_home/720306/description#description

EDIT 2: Let's see if this works: http://coursewareobjects.elsevier.com/objects/elr/Dyce/vetanatomy4e/flashcards/flashpage.html?swf=flashcard.swf. The actual cards are oriented vertically.
http://coursewareobjects.elsevier.c...e/flashcards/flashpage.html?swf=flashcard.swf

Last edited:
They're pretty much just numbered images on one side and the names of the structures on the other.

True. I had a similar set for undergrad human anatomy and I just wrote in the insertions/attachments/origins on the back of the card. There's plenty of room.

It would be nice if they came with the insertions/attachments/origins pre-printed, though.

I was wondering if anyone had tried Saunders Veterinary Anatomy Coloring Book? I see that cuitlamiztli used the Saunders Veterinary Anatomy Flash Cards, but has anyone tried this?

My sister swore by something similar in human anatomy and the lab handouts in undergrad (animal anatomy) were hit or miss.

Ive seen the anatomy coloring book when i order my vet books on amazon it recommends it lol but i dont know anyone who has it or who is going to get it. my thinking is that i will not have enough time to be coloring so what is the point of getting the coloring book.

i did get the anatomy flash cards and i know a couple other people who have them too. i'm a big visual learner and i had similar flashcards for human anatomy and i really liked them. my mistake when taking human anatomy was that i ordered the cards too late so i only got to use them on the last exam. i ordered the vet ones now so they will be here and i can use them right away.

I personally don't find Pasquini very useful. I found that it didn't provide me with a good idea of comparison between species even though it addressed several at once. Dyce is much better at those comparisons.

Miller is super-authoritative and a sleepy read. It probably will not be your most important book in freshman anatomy, but its descriptions are clear enough to disambiguate things when you just can't tell from the atlas.

The Budras books are awesome, but remember that they leave things out and their terminology differs from Miller.

None of these books is very good at answering clinical or functional questions.

None of these books is very good at answering clinical or functional questions.

So what do you recommend for that? Is there any book that is good at this or did you rely on your class notes and asking the prof?

EDIT 2: Let's see if this works: http://coursewareobjects.elsevier.com/objects/elr/Dyce/vetanatomy4e/flashcards/flashpage.html?swf=flashcard.swf. The actual cards are oriented vertically.
http://coursewareobjects.elsevier.c...e/flashcards/flashpage.html?swf=flashcard.swf

Cuitlamiztli, how did you find this demo for the flashcards, Im looking for a demo to the Rang and Dale's Pharmocology flash cards.

Cuitlamiztli, how did you find this demo for the flashcards, Im looking for a demo to the Rang and Dale's Pharmocology flash cards.

I got it from my Evolve account; the preview was in with the resources for Dyce. I had to click through resources > Dyce > my content > resources > part 1 > chapter 1 > student resources > prepare for class, clinical, or lab in order to get to it. I hope that helps, and makes sense!

Speaking of Evolve ebooks - if anyone purchased a book with this access... use it! There are some good resources (quizzes, practice exams, etc.) out there for various books.

I got it from my Evolve account; the preview was in with the resources for Dyce. I had to click through resources > Dyce > my content > resources > part 1 > chapter 1 > student resources > prepare for class, clinical, or lab in order to get to it. I hope that helps, and makes sense!

Speaking of Evolve ebooks - if anyone purchased a book with this access... use it! There are some good resources (quizzes, practice exams, etc.) out there for various books.

Reeeaaally? Well, by chance, I did get the vet consult/evolve package with my pharm book, guess I should check that out and see whats on there before I buy the flashcards. Thanks!

i just set up my account yesterday!! I haven't done all of the activities yet but I did appreciate something that may sound stupid...the audio for correct pronunciation of words haha I dont want to sound ******ed when I talk to my colleagues :D lol

Just got my Pasquini book! 11th edition :D i was worried about that lol

I was a little disappointed because the book is completely black and white. HOWEVER, i can see why people like this book. All of the pictures take up a full page so they are really big and you can see every tiny thing drawn. There are also a lot of tables with all of the structures written out, function, effect on other things, etc...i'm sure this will come in handy when I dont have time to make my own tables.

Just got my Pasquini book! 11th edition :D i was worried about that lol

I was a little disappointed because the book is completely black and white. HOWEVER, i can see why people like this book. All of the pictures take up a full page so they are really big and you can see every tiny thing drawn. There are also a lot of tables with all of the structures written out, function, effect on other things, etc...i'm sure this will come in handy when I dont have time to make my own tables.

i really like the organization of the images/sections, and i thought the tables would be very helpful as well!

*bump* Anyone else have any thoughts?

BlacKAT, do you mean that you got it from our bookstore? I guess I should stop being a lazy online buyer and go look at the actual bookstores. :laugh:

Between reading threads on SDN and some advice passed down from a friend's big sib, I am soooo confused by the conflicting advice. I guess I just need to go to the library soon and look myself!

<goes back to nursing cold and frantically scrolling through Amazon>

*bump* Anyone else have any thoughts?

BlacKAT, do you mean that you got it from our bookstore? I guess I should stop being a lazy online buyer and go look at the actual bookstores. :laugh:

Between reading threads on SDN and some advice passed down from a friend's big sib, I am soooo confused by the conflicting advice. I guess I just need to go to the library soon and look myself!

<goes back to nursing cold and frantically scrolling through Amazon>

Yup! got it from your school lol cheapest price and i called to make sure it was the newest edition. Amazon...when you start looking through all the diff sellers it gets really confusing if it is the current edition or another one. i didnt want to take a chance

I have been struggling the past two weeks in anatomy. Not because it's difficult, but rather I am having trouble creating a mental 3D image of the leg and muscle layers, bones, etc. Kind of like what I did in organic to mentally spin the structures around.

I have Dyce, Evans/deLahunta, Pasquini, and the Saunders flashcards. Nothing was proving to be super effective. I'm a very visual learner and I think it might have something to do with the level of mangling on our dog, due partly to the highly refined dissection skills of first month vet students :laugh:.

After glancing at a classmate's copy of the Done Color Atlas for about 10 seconds, I promptly went home and I ordered it- had it overnighted to be exact. If you are a visual learner BUY THIS BOOK!!! I can not even express how much one hour on the couch with this text helped me. I am actually excited for the coming labs now. It finally clicked! I LOVE THIS BOOK!

TT, how did you order it? I guess I'm a little shy about emailing a professor at another school out of the blue. :)

Nah, just email the prof! He is very nice. I emailed him and told him I would be a first year at penn and had heard great things about the DVD. He got back to me super fast that he would mail one out for me. He was really very happy to do it :)

i've got to weigh in and say that (as with so much else) it's down to learning styles. i really rely on dyce, esp. the 4th edition. whilst i agree that the diagrams can be a little too schematic sometimes, the text is heavy on the embryologic origin of everything, which is great for me when i want to understand how the development influences the final structure and function.

i :love: budras. the detail of the art is beyond gorgeous, and the explanatory text is also quite good. i don't remember if it's a translation or not. (tangent: the reason i did NOT buy Konig and Leiblich is because of the history of poor translation in earlier editions - my understanding is that they improved it greatly for the new one, but i haven't compared it to the german to be certain. that and the aforementioned $400 price tag.)

on another note regarding the color atlas by done, et al. - the et al. includes the head of my anatomy department, neil stickland. and actually, he's the reason that i love dyce. his lectures focus heavily on the embryology, so he sort of made me believe that it's important. however, i *don't* find his textbook to be overly helpful, much as i don't find dissections on plastinated specimens to be overly helpful. with that said, i truly do appreciate their preface note on the reason they made their image decisions.

ymmv.

Eventual, I actually had enrolled in the class. But, as Gella said, it's become a bit notorious among vet students, so a polite email would probably do the trick.

Here's the course it goes with:

http://www.learn.colostate.edu/courses/VS/VS333.dot

I hope that, if a bunch of people all of a sudden want the disk, they start to charge for it or something. It's only fair. :)

Thanks for the encouragement! I just emailed Dr. Whalen about the DVD and said that I would be happy to pay whatever he thinks is fair. I'll report when I get a response. I guess I will go with Miller's (and baby Miller's), get the DVD, see what other people have, visit the library, and then make my choice.

Thanks for the encouragement! I just emailed Dr. Whalen about the DVD and said that I would be happy to pay whatever he thinks is fair. I'll report when I get a response. I guess I will go with Miller's (and baby Miller's), get the DVD, see what other people have, visit the library, and then make my choice.

gellabella ordered a bunch for us and we paid 40$ each. maybe cuz there were so many of us?

so i finally opened pasquini last night and I LOVE IT. i am going to use it allll the time when studying for the practical. They have every view for the bones, muscles, every species. it is all very simply laid out.

Millers is a little annoying. Our prof said we'd probably only use it when we graduate because it has a lot of detail and vets go back to it to look stuff up. Even though litter miller and Miller were originally written by the same person, they use diff terminology. blahh really?? i mean, i know my muscles well enough but it is really annoying that they are supposed to be a "pair" but the terms are diff. I have a feeling i'll be keeping this book closed for most of the year, or maybe 3 yrs, til i reach clinics.