An Open Letter To Everyone Debating DO VS MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The OP being pre-med doesn't make this solely a pre-med issue.
Similarly, (not necessarily directed at you) I'm not sure why med students/residents/fellows/attendings/whatever feel the need to call someone out for being a pre-med. It has no indication of your age, life experiences, or maturity. There are 50 year old pre-meds and 18 year old ones. It seems like everyone on this site has to call people out for being a pre-med and say things like haha, coming from the pre-med". That person could be twice your age and has seen more in their life than you ever will.
Pre-med just means you haven't gone to medical school, it doesn't necessarily mean you're a naive college freshman just out of high school.
Food for thought. ;)

Life experience is not the same as experience in medical school/residence/fellowship/attending. That's the point. The OP has no idea what it's like dealing with the bs that seems to be standard operating procedure for many osteopathically related programs and institutions. The OP (and many pre-meds) lack the context to understand why some folks might be frustrated.

You don't know what you don't know.

Members don't see this ad.

Life experience is not the same as experience in medical school/residence/fellowship/attending. That's the point. The OP has no idea what it's like dealing with the bs that seems to be standard operating procedure for many osteopathically related programs and institutions. The OP (and many pre-meds) lack the context to understand why some folks might be frustrated.

You don't know what you don't know.

Well, I'll be 30 this year, I've worked in various industries including those handling Medical claims, Workers Comp, Disabilities, and Malpractice. On a side note I was a pretty successful web developer for a number of years and developed some really successful web communities. I have worked with CEO's of large companies, commissioners and one of my positions even had me working under the Mayor of NY's office ( I got to give a really cool speech once). Giuliani is a lot shorter in person. On 911 I worked hard with city personal to get Databases and system grids back online ( still can't go to classes or work that day; remembering the smell of charred flesh and seeing the remains of little kids is something that stays with you) I was working parallel to the FBI building so the view wasn't something I could avoid.

I started my PhD in Clinical psychology almost 2 years ago however decided that I really enjoyed the Physiological side of things just as much as I enjoyed studying brain behavior. I made the decision to switch career paths at that point and moved 3,000 miles to complete all the Pre-Med requirements I needed.

I decided to leave the pre-med status below my Avatar as I am proud of everything I have accomplished up to this point. Less than a month ago I was a successful financial analyst living in an upscale neighborhood. I had Doctor's weeping and pleading over there premiums; I had a few denying they were even seeing patients so they "shouldn't have to pay the same premiums". I also had Neuro-Psychologist trying to convince me that they never come in contact with sick or disabled patients at their clinics (they could have been arrested on fraud for making this claim) as my core focus was Neruo-psychology and my company was also paying for part of my tuition; I had to bring up my experience a few times to stop some clients in their tracks. In Clinical Psychology we do have patient exposure and just because I wouldn't have the title MD or DO after my name does not mean I was not working in the Health field and that I have no understanding of patient care, residency's and post graduate work.

I understand that many of you are younger than I am but I realize that you may know something that I do not so I listen attentively as there is always something new to learn and someone who knows something that you do not. It's kinda like Dr. Robert Sternberg's social learning theory that proves people can gain the skills needed to perform a job just as good or even better than someone who has shown that they are academically capable of performing the task. You should never forget that it is because you follow, why you lead.

Members don't see this ad :)
The OP being pre-med doesn't make this solely a pre-med issue.
Similarly, (not necessarily directed at you) I'm not sure why med students/residents/fellows/attendings/whatever feel the need to call someone out for being a pre-med. It has no indication of your age, life experiences, or maturity. There are 50 year old pre-meds and 18 year old ones. It seems like everyone on this site has to call people out for being a pre-med and say things like haha, coming from the pre-med". That person could be twice your age and has seen more in their life than you ever will.
Pre-med just means you haven't gone to medical school, it doesn't necessarily mean you're a naive college freshman just out of high school.
Food for thought. ;)

In the OP the guy is telling DO's in practice what they should be doing... if you don't know why he's being called out for being a pre-med in this instance, I really don't know what to say

Bumping an old thread is just as bad as creating a new thread. I'm not lecturing anyone. Instead I'm sharing my thoughts on the subject in a place designed for meaningful conversation on such topics. Relax, I'm not going to start preaching.

Don't worry bro it'll be ok; tomorrow brings a brand new day. ;)

Please refer to your original post, it is nothing but one long preach session.

In the OP the guy is telling DO's in practice what they should be doing... if you don't know why he's being called out for being a pre-med in this instance, I really don't know what to say

If you'll reread my post I said this tidbit was not directed at the guy for calling him a premed. I said just because he's a premed doesn't make this a premed issue. The rest of my post (as I mentioned) was not directed at him, just an observation that this unfortunately happens quite frequently on sdn.

If you'll reread my post I said this tidbit was not directed at the guy for calling him a premed. I said just because he's a premed doesn't make this a premed issue. The rest of my post (as I mentioned) was not directed at him, just an observation that this unfortunately happens quite frequently on sdn.

I don't have a problem with pre-meds saying whatever they like. But I do get annoyed when pre-meds make threads on the osteopathic forum. No one is going to stop you from coming and adding to an ongoing discussion but most of us don't want new threads addressing things that are of no interest to us. Keep that in pre-osteo as per forum rules.

There is no osteopathic school with tuition substantially less than any MD program.

Things like the weather and demographics are temporary, and really irrelevant in the long run. Your degree is forever. An MD earned from an 'undesirable' school will take you farther than a DO degree from anywhere, all else being equal.

You obviously have no idea what you're talking about. My tuition and fees ($12-16K/year) must be more than some states schools that charge $35/45K a year, right? Oh, that's comparing in-state tuition, too. Look at the OOS/private rates and get back to me.

https://services.aamc.org/tsfreports/report.cfm?select_control=PUB&year_of_study=2013

You can stop posting now. :laugh:

Last edited:
No dude, no 1's jelly you are at a DO school. Most MDs are already doing better. DO is a great option for those who can't get into an MD program but it'll always be plan B. No 1 is going to say I got into a DO school, screw the MD. lol

Ah yes, another uppity pre-med. This wasn't directed at you, preppy. It was directed at cliquesh, who's actually a medical student. Maybe hold your tongue next time.

Last edited:
This thread has certainly gotten interesting.

Reminder to be civil, polite, and professional.

do-not-feed-the-troll.png

Status
Not open for further replies.