An Open Letter To Everyone Debating DO VS MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beBrave

Goodbye until we meet again
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to share some advice from my experiences so far and the things I've learned on my journey. To the DO Med School students still debating MD vs DO, acknowledge that its too late to change your mind; deal with it and be grateful that you have moved on to the next stage of becoming a Doctor; focus on classes, maintaining a personal life and finding the specialty that makes you smile when you wake up in the morning.

To the Premeds, focus on getting into Medical school. Understand that if you truly have a passion for medicine, DO or MD should not affect you whatsoever. If you have a history of terrible grades from many institutions, DO is your best bet because they will only calculate the most recent grades from classes retaken; Allopathic schools will use the grades earned from all the institutions that you have attended. An MD degree is virtually as scrutinized as a DO degree when practicing medicine oversea's. When working for emergency groups like Doctors without borders and in emergency situations, your experience and qualifications are evaluated, not the title. This is the reason that an MD Doctor from Iraq may not be qualified to provide Medical Aide offered through a personal organization like Doctors without borders but an American DO is because they have met all required qualifications from an Academic and board certification perspective. Your Peer's do not determine if you are qualified to practice medicine, governments and licensing bodies do.

Understand that Medical School is a privilege, it is not a right; your family and friends who have opinions on medicine and degree's often have no experience or factual knowledge on the subject. Many MD Doctors such as those featured by popular news and media sources such as Forbes as seen here have said one thing on the debate and then issued a round about here after being chewed out by the medical community. Clearly even experienced Physicians in the community don't understand the Degree's. For your own benefit, stop focusing on this issue and focus on creating a quality application that shows that you are a well rounded individual that has a passion for medicine, have met the basic requirements to apply to medical school and has gained some experience in the field through shadowing, research and volunteering.

Finally to those currently working in the field as DO's, you should be focusing on patient care and taking care of yourselves; not on the initials at the end of your name. Be proud of what you have achieved and focus on everything that you will achieve.

I know that there is a lot of fear around this subject as many students don't want to end up with a valueless piece of paper but to those reading this, DO and MD are 100% equal when becoming licensed to practice Medicine in the United States. There are no difference in privileges, practicing guidelines, or responsibilities. A DO can work in any specialty that an MD can. There will always be bias but it is not something that will have a significant impact on your future as a Physician. I make this post with great humility and hope that as I acknowledge that my words are unlikely to stop the MD vs DO debate, it may help to alleviate some concerns regarding the credibility and differences in regards to DO vs MD degrees and also help to reinforce that both degree's should be perceived as equals regardless of what anyone says. If you have the option to go to an MD school vs DO, the obvious answer isn't MD, rather it is whichever school that meets your needs the best. Finally, work hard and let your passion for helping others be your guidance along your journey.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I think the people who are concerned with DO vs MD are interested in engaging this issue at a higher level than "both are licensed to practice medicine in the United States." I think your post doesn't acknowledge the very real differences between the degrees from a practical standpoint (e.g. how the degrees are viewed by peers).

That is to say, some students, MD or DO, are concerned with more than just being a legally licensed doctor. These are the students that debate Harvard vs. Pitt and Drexel vs. CCOM and MD vs. DO.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the people who are concerned with DO vs MD are interested in engaging this issue at a higher level than "both are licensed to practice medicine in the United States." I think your post doesn't acknowledge the very real differences between the degrees from a practical standpoint (e.g. how the degrees are viewed by peers).

That is to say, some students, MD or DO, are concerned with more than just being a legally licensed doctor. These are the students that debate Harvard vs. Pitt and Drexel vs. CCOM and MD vs. DO.

Can't please everyone.

Last edited:
media_preview.php

yeah, whatever. thanks for the reminder. i will study hard and earn good grades so my teacher won't fail me. lol.

Yeah, how about getting into the residency of your choice? DO's a fine option, but it isn't without negatives. Also, if you're actually a premed, lecturing the DO students/putting this in the DO forum is pretty lame

Yeah, how about getting into the residency of your choice? DO's a fine option, but it isn't without negatives. Also, if you're actually a premed, lecturing the DO students/putting this in the DO forum is pretty lame

No, DO VS MD is pretty lame; should MD become MDA or DO become MDO is pretty lame. "My patients are going to MD's because I have DO at the end of my name" is pretty lame. Talking about some of the things I've learned so that some Premeds won't be Jaded by the term DO as a result of the ongoing debate is not lame. Posting it in the Osteopathic forums as this debate continues to rage on even among Med school students is certainly not lame. Knowing that some future Doc that googles DO vs MD finds this thread and realizes that they can chart a path to Medical school with effort, determination and knowing the facts that matter, Priceless.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, how about getting into the residency of your choice? DO's a fine option, but it isn't without negatives.

people always use residency placement to argue against the DO degree. Sure this might be the case, because DO's are less likely to match at competitive residency positions than can MD's. But let's be realistic here, competitive specialties are hard for MD's to match already, hence "competitive", and us DO students, on average being worse at taking tests and all, seriously expect to compete against these top-notch 36+ MCAT MD students for those dermatology spots? Even if we were in MD schools, I think not. Granted, a small amount of DO students score high on the USMLE, but that's only a small portion, not representative of the average DO matriculant.

Last edited:
people always use residency placement to argue against the DO degree. Sure this might be the case, because DO's are less likely to match at competitive residency positions than can MD's. But let's be realistic here, competitive specialties are hard for MD's to match already, hence "competitive", and us DO students, on average being worse at taking tests and all, seriously expect to compete against these top-notch 36+ MCAT MD students for those dermatology spots? Even if we were in MD schools, I think not. Granted, a small amount of DO students score high on the USMLE, but that's only a small portion, not representative of the average DO matriculant.

There's definitely an mcat correlation to step performance, but I have a good friend who pulled a 29 -> 240, another friend that's yet to take step, and there are a number of anecdotes of much more absurd changes than that. In general, I think step is much more knowledge based (i.e. hard work driven) than the mcat. DO scores may be lower as a whole partially due to a weaker pool of students, but the fact they have to take comlex, along with probably having a slightly different focus in class material, both surely contribute too. In an overly simplistic view, if you'd be equally happy at a US MD and a DO and the cost is comparable, I'd always pick MD.

No, DO VS MD is pretty lame; should MD become MDA or DO become MDO is pretty lame. "My patients are going to MD's because I have DO at the end of my name" is pretty lame. Talking about some of the things I've learned so that some Premeds won't be Jaded by the term DO as a result of the ongoing debate is not lame. Posting it in the Osteopathic forums as this debate continues to rage on even among Med school students is certainly not lame. Knowing that some future Doc that googles DO vs MD finds this thread and realizes that they can chart a path to Medical school with effort, determination and knowing the facts that matter, Priceless.

Maybe they're not a future doctor. Maybe they won't ever get in anywhere. Your thread has sent them on an endless spiral of applying and reapplying, years spent jumping through hoops for naught. If you hadn't given him that false hope, maybe he would have already graduated from a voc u and be happily employed with a family, but here he is now just wallowing in debt with a useless premed degree. I hope you're happy ;)

There's definitely an mcat correlation to step performance, but I have a good friend who pulled a 29 -> 240, another friend that's yet to take step, and there are a number of anecdotes of much more absurd changes than that.

There were only 3 people in my class that got above a 240 on the usmle. The average usmle score at mayo is a 240. Few DOs actually do well enough to be considered for competitive Acgme residencies. Only 40% of them even take the usmle.

Members don't see this ad :)
There were only 3 people in my class that got above a 240 on the usmle. The average usmle score at mayo is a 240. Few DOs actually do well enough to be considered for competitive Acgme residencies. Only 40% of them even take the usmle.

That's your school. Don't speak for the rest of us. 90% of DO students at my school take the USMLE. Last year we had a higher USMLE Step 1 average than a few allopathic schools in my state. We match tons of people to good/great ACGME residencies.

Mature response:

youmad.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That's your school. Don't speak for the rest of us. 90% of DO students at my school take the USMLE. Last year we had a higher USMLE Step 1 average than a few allopathic schools in my state. We match tons of people to good/great ACGME residencies.

Impossible. All DO schools are the same just as all MD schools are equivalent to Harvard.

I enjoyed reading your post, beBrave. I was shocked when I read that Forbes article. :eek: Shocked!

It isnt just competitive programs. Take a look at the Program Directors Survey. 25% of ACGME EM programs will not interview DOs.

I think my school was similar. Couple 240s and a couple 250+.

That's your school. Don't speak for the rest of us. 90% of DO students at my school take the USMLE. Last year we had a higher USMLE Step 1 average than a few allopathic schools in my state. We match tons of people to good/great

The 40% number is for all of the DOs in the class of 2013; not specifically my school. Only 30% of my class took the usmle. I scored in the 250's. Matched my #2 for anesthesia. I'm happy.

If 90% of DOs took the usmle and did better than the average USMD student, and our match lists still looked the way they do now, then I discourage most people from applying to DO schools.

That's not the case, in my opinion. Most DOs do not take the exam. Most that do take it do poorly. Those that do well have great opportunities.

Things are changing, however. DO schools average stats are increasing and, as a result, DOs are doing better on the usmle than in the past. Prior to 2011, for instance, the average pass rate for DO students taking usmle step 1 was historically around 80%. However, in 2011 the average pass rate jumped to 88% and furthered increased to 91% in 2012. This year, 4 DOs matched Acgme derm and 6 matched Acgme ortho, which is highly unusual. Things seem to be improving.

http://www.usmle.org/performance-data/default.aspx#2012_step-1

Last edited:
I'm not a DO, but I have to think needing to prepare for and pass comlex is a big handicap for y'all as far as doing well on step, unless you get extra time for step prep. I'm studying for step now, and it would be a nightmare of stress having to prep for another major standardized test along with this (regardless of there being some common ground)

I'm not a DO, but I have to think needing to prepare for and pass comlex is a big handicap for y'all as far as doing well on step, unless you get extra time for step prep. I'm studying for step now, and it would be a nightmare of stress having to prep for another major standardized test along with this (regardless of there being some common ground)

It's not that big of a deal, honestly.

At least I don't think so...

It's not that bad. If you have the material down for the USMLE, then the key is to get used to the COMLEX's question format. And OMM too, which isn't that hard to learn.

Finally to those currently working in the field as DO's, you should be focusing on patient care and taking care of yourselves; not on the initials at the end of your name. Be proud of what you have achieved and focus on everything that you will achieve.

Thanks for the advice...premed.

:rolleyes:

Mature response:

youmad.jpg

No dude, no 1's jelly you are at a DO school. Most MDs are already doing better. DO is a great option for those who can't get into an MD program but it'll always be plan B. No 1 is going to say I got into a DO school, screw the MD. lol

I'm going to share some advice from my experiences so far and the things I've learned on my journey. To the DO Med School students still debating MD vs DO, acknowledge that its too late to change your mind; deal with it and be grateful that you have moved on to the next stage of becoming a Doctor; focus on classes, maintaining a personal life and finding the specialty that makes you smile when you wake up in the morning.

To the Premeds, focus on getting into Medical school. Understand that if you truly have a passion for medicine, DO or MD should not affect you whatsoever. If you have a history of terrible grades from many institutions, DO is your best bet because they will only calculate the most recent grades from classes retaken; Allopathic schools will use the grades earned from all the institutions that you have attended. An MD degree is virtually as scrutinized as a DO degree when practicing medicine oversea's. When working for emergency groups like Doctors without borders and in emergency situations, your experience and qualifications are evaluated, not the title. This is the reason that an MD Doctor from Iraq may not be qualified to provide Medical Aide offered through a personal organization like Doctors without borders but an American DO is because they have met all required qualifications from an Academic and board certification perspective. Your Peer's do not determine if you are qualified to practice medicine, governments and licensing bodies do.

Understand that Medical School is a privilege, it is not a right; your family and friends who have opinions on medicine and degree's often have no experience or factual knowledge on the subject. Many MD Doctors such as those featured by popular news and media sources such as Forbes as seen here have said one thing on the debate and then issued a round about here after being chewed out by the medical community. Clearly even experienced Physicians in the community don't understand the Degree's. For your own benefit, stop focusing on this issue and focus on creating a quality application that shows that you are a well rounded individual that has a passion for medicine, have met the basic requirements to apply to medical school and has gained some experience in the field through shadowing, research and volunteering.

I know that there is a lot of fear around this subject as many students don't want to end up with a valueless piece of paper but to those reading this, DO and MD are 100% equal when becoming licensed to practice Medicine in the United States. There are no difference in privileges, practicing guidelines, or responsibilities. A DO can work in any specialty that an MD can. There will always be bias but it is not something that will have a significant impact on your future as a Physician. I make this post with great humility and hope that as I acknowledge that my words are unlikely to stop the MD vs DO debate, it may help to alleviate some concerns regarding the credibility and differences in regards to DO vs MD degrees and also help to reinforce that both degree's should be perceived as equals regardless of what anyone says. If you have the option to go to an MD school vs DO, the obvious answer isn't MD, rather it is whichever school that meets your needs the best. Finally, work hard and let your passion for helping others be your guidance along your journey.

Yes it is. If you get into an MD program..GO!

no dude, no 1's jelly you are at a do school. Most mds are already doing better. Do is a great option for those who can't get into an md program but it'll always be plan b. No 1 is going to say i got into a do school, screw the md. Lol

+1.

Yes it is. If you get into an MD program..GO!

I disagree. I would rather accept an offer from T-COM than a MD school in the middle of nowhere where it snows all year round and the cost is substantially more. I look at it from multiple aspects. Demographics, Match Ratio and most of all, do I fit. There is way too much advice on this forum from Residents that wish they had decided on their schools more carefully even if it took an additional year. It's a long road getting from here to there; so taking the extra time to consider all aspects of the school you attend is important.

Last edited:
I disagree. I would rather accept an offer from T-COM than a MD school in the middle of nowhere where it snows all year round and the cost is substantially more. I look at it from multiple aspects. Demographics, Match Ratio and most of all, do I fit. There is way too much advice on this forum from Residents that wish they had decided on their schools more carefully even if it took an additional year. It's a long road getting from here to there; so taking the extra time to consider all aspects of the school you attend is important.

There is no osteopathic school with tuition substantially less than any MD program.

Things like the weather and demographics are temporary, and really irrelevant in the long run. Your degree is forever. An MD earned from an 'undesirable' school will take you farther than a DO degree from anywhere, all else being equal.

TCOM is an exception because it is dirt cheap. The vast majority of DO schools are not. If you are choosing between TCOM and Drexel (or whatever), that is the one scenario in which I might say going DO is better. But that's the only one.

Second, what most residents say is, "choose the cheaper school." Most DO schools are expensive. It also turns out that most DO schools *ARE* in the middle of nowhere. I doubt most residents would say, "I would choose some random DO school over an MD program because it is a better fit." That's ridiculous, especially for those matching into competitive programs. By any measure, attending a DO school would have been a significant step down in the opportunities available to them.

I attend a DO school. Rest assured, you have little if anything to gain by attending an Osteopathic program over an MD program. The exception as mentioned previously is TCOM, which is a good school and is cheap. If I had an acceptance to TCOM and GWU in my hand...I would have to think hard about it. For all other DO schools, however....the answer is obvious: take the MD acceptance.

TCOM is an exception because it is dirt cheap. The vast majority of DO schools are not. If you are choosing between TCOM and Drexel (or whatever), that is the one scenario in which I might say going DO is better. But that's the only one.

It's cheaper only if you're an in-state resident (and even then still pricey). Considering the opportunity cost of choosing the DO over the MD degree in terms of residency and career, the MD degree still wins out.

http://web.unthsc.edu/info/200316/unthsc_tuition_and_fees/1463/tcom_tuition_and_fees

Second, what most residents say is, "choose the cheaper school." Most DO schools are expensive. It also turns out that most DO schools *ARE* in the middle of nowhere. I doubt most residents would say, "I would choose some random DO school over an MD program because it is a better fit." That's ridiculous, especially for those matching into competitive programs. By any measure, attending a DO school would have been a significant step down in the opportunities available to them.

I attend a DO school. Rest assured, you have little if anything to gain by attending an Osteopathic program over an MD program. The exception as mentioned previously is TCOM, which is a good school and is cheap. If I had an acceptance to TCOM and GWU in my hand...I would have to think hard about it. For all other DO schools, however....the answer is obvious: take the MD acceptance.

When I spoke with the admissions Director at T-Com, he advised me that they are required to accept something like 90% (I can't remember the exact number) of students from the state and then the rest are out of state. I live in San Diego and there are two DO schools that I would love to gain acceptance at ( I prefer the location). All in all I can understand where "Wanna_be_DO" is coming from however for many of us, DO very well may be the only choice we have so I say why not embrace it as an equal opportunity. Conditioning your mind to believe that DO will hinder your career will only cast doubt if someone gets accepted to a DO school and no MD programs (I would rather go DO than run to the Caribbean or Europe). I'm most interested in Hematology/Oncology and there are various fellowships led by Osteopathic Physicians geared towards DO's.

Everyone's needs and wants are different which is why I believe that bias should not be expressed when comparing the two. Some states are more DO friendly than others. With that said, I agree that weather and demographics are temporary things but I am still having a hard time digesting that any MD degree (regardless of how bad the school is) will always trump a DO degree regardless of where its earned. Still Wanna_be_DO has been in the field for the long term and speaks from experience so we cannot disregard the wisdom shared. All in all, it comes down to the individual to do what they believe is right for them.

So obvious. Also, would you choose Harvard over Princeton? Also, which one contains more prestige?

Thank you for speaking on behalf of all us DOs as choosing a medical school is as black and white as you describe.

When I spoke with the admissions Director at T-Com, he advised me that they are required to accept something like 90% (I can't remember the exact number) of students from the state and then the rest are out of state. I live in San Diego and there are two DO schools that I would love to gain acceptance at ( I prefer the location). All in all I can understand where "Wanna_be_DO" is coming from however for many of us, DO very well may be the only choice we have so I say why not embrace it as an equal opportunity. Conditioning your mind to believe that DO will hinder your career will only cast doubt if someone gets accepted to a DO school and no MD programs (I would rather go DO than run to the Caribbean or Europe). I'm most interested in Hematology/Oncology and there are various fellowships led by Osteopathic Physicians geared towards DO's.

Everyone's needs and wants are different which is why I believe that bias should not be expressed when comparing the two. Some states are more DO friendly than others. With that said, I agree that weather and demographics are temporary things but I am still having a hard time digesting that any MD degree (regardless of how bad the school is) will always trump a DO degree regardless of where its earned. Still Wanna_be_DO has been in the field for the long term and speaks from experience so we cannot disregard the wisdom shared. All in all, it comes down to the individual to do what they believe is right for them.

Too much reason and logic and too many feels in this post! SDN says go MD!

Cannot believe a person who has not started medical school is trying to tell medical students, residents, and attendings about their degree. Anyone listening to this guy needs a wake-up call.

Cannot believe a person who has not started medical school is trying to tell medical students, residents, and attendings about their degree. Anyone listening to this guy needs a wake-up call.
While it's not entirely accurate and doesn't address all possible perspectives, I agree with the spirit of the post... even if it's from a pre-med.

You should go to an MD school if you get into one. The only reason not to is if you get into TCOM or if another DO school gives you a scholarship such that you debt load will be similar to those coming out of TCOM.

You should go to an MD school if you get into one. The only reason not to is if you get into TCOM or if another DO school gives you a scholarship such that you debt load will be similar to those coming out of TCOM.

To add my $0.02 to this:

If I had a choice, I'd choose DO over MD if:
1. I don't care about speciality choices.
2. location being important
3. huge tuition gap

But that said, If I were a fringe MD applicant, I wouldn't reapply just to try get into an MD school. I was one, and I spent a year to reapply for MD, turned out to be the biggest waste of 1 year.

There needs to be some sort of repercussion to making posts like this. Like a 3 day forum ban the first time.

It's getting to the point where threads like these are just as bad as spamming Viagra links on here.

If you REALLY need to share your opinion dig up one of the other 500,000 threads that have said something very similar. Stop clogging up the message boards, with your incessant ramblings in which you feel informed/entitled enough to make a new thread about.

TLDR: It's been said before, nobody wants to hear it

No dude, no 1's jelly you are at a DO school. Most MDs are already doing better. DO is a great option for those who can't get into an MD program but it'll always be plan B. No 1 is going to say I got into a DO school, screw the MD. lol

I dont know man. There are people, although the rare minority, that actually choose DO.

There needs to be some sort of repercussion to making posts like this. Like a 3 day forum ban the first time.

It's getting to the point where threads like these are just as bad as spamming Viagra links on here.

If you REALLY need to share your opinion dig up one of the other 500,000 threads that have said something very similar. Stop clogging up the message boards, with your incessant ramblings in which you feel informed/entitled enough to make a new thread about.

+1. Silly/useless thread.

I am willing to bet that fewer than 3 MD schools fit your caricatured description. DO schools are the ones that tend to be expensive and located in the "middle of nowhere."

Bumping an old thread is just as bad as creating a new thread. I'm not lecturing anyone. Instead I'm sharing my thoughts on the subject in a place designed for meaningful conversation on such topics. Relax, I'm not going to start preaching.

Don't worry bro it'll be ok; tomorrow brings a brand new day. ;)

Come to think of it, where does it snow all year round? Don't tell me the OP is applying to schools in Antarctica.

Bumping an old thread is just as bad as creating a new thread. I'm not lecturing anyone. Instead I'm sharing my thoughts on the subject in a place designed for meaningful conversation on such topics. Relax, I'm not going to start preaching.

Don't worry bro it'll be ok; tomorrow brings a brand new day. ;)

Perhaps being pre-med you should post in pre-osteo?

Perhaps being pre-med you should post in pre-osteo?

The OP being pre-med doesn't make this solely a pre-med issue.
Similarly, (not necessarily directed at you) I'm not sure why med students/residents/fellows/attendings/whatever feel the need to call someone out for being a pre-med. It has no indication of your age, life experiences, or maturity. There are 50 year old pre-meds and 18 year old ones. It seems like everyone on this site has to call people out for being a pre-med and say things like haha, coming from the pre-med". That person could be twice your age and has seen more in their life than you ever will.
Pre-med just means you haven't gone to medical school, it doesn't necessarily mean you're a naive college freshman just out of high school.
Food for thought. ;)

I'd rather attend an established program than plunder in the Caribbean or go to a bottom rung/brand new program in the US. Manual medicine is here to stay dawg, and its a wonder why md GPs rarely do it. You can bill $50-150 for 10mins of OMT AND AND AND somatic dysfunctions increase your billing, even if you don't do OMT. Everyone has 'em. Hope that they don't go away.

I'd rather attend an established program than plunder in the Caribbean or go to a bottom rung/brand new program in the US. Manual medicine is here to stay dawg, and its a wonder why md GPs rarely do it. You can bill $50-150 for 10mins of OMT AND AND AND somatic dysfunctions increase your billing, even if you don't do OMT. Everyone has 'em. Hope that they don't go away.

Just because you bill it does not mean they reimburse for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.