An open letter about Touro NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
looking for better learning opportunities for its students...

And what better learning opportunities was Touro NY looking for that led to them losing rotation sites? If you're going to shill for Touro NY then you probably shouldn't be so vague

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Not uncommon for medical school, MD or DO, to change rotation sites due different contracts or looking for better learning opportunities for its students...
First part is true, second part is not.
At my school, the main reasons we have lost rotations sites are:
a) Hospital changing ownership
b) Weak or bad students turning off preceptors (we call these students "site killers")
c) Sites being poach by other medical schools. Is more common than you think. UCSF lost a site to Dartmouth, and some MI school lost out to a different mI school. I've heard of more, but they're all jumbled up in my head now.
d) Site wants more money that we can pay
e) Site decides that they simply don't want students anymore. Students take time to train, after all.
f) Hospital or site shuts down.

The Trinitas rotation was not lost but instead cancelled and replaced by two new rotation sites - Hackettstown and Newtown both in NJ

Members don't see this ad :)
The Trinitas rotation was not lost but instead cancelled and replaced by two new rotation sites - Hackettstown and Newtown both in NJ

This could be the worst trade deal in the history of trade deals, maybe ever.

Reactions: 2 users
This is a new year so there should be a new thread about the problems of this school. This is from the perspective of a second year

Administration simply did not care about our clinical rotations. Many of us don't have enough time to look for housing.

Many of us will be rotating at small doctors clinics.

:hijacked:
How small are these doctors? Are they very small? Do they need a step stool to do neuro exams on seated patients? Please tell me more.

Reactions: 8 users
Reminds me of Dr. Amato from scrubs....yes look it up if you don't know it...it'll make the joke funnier

Reactions: 1 user
So at the very least those who have interviews at Touro Harlem this application season- ask why our clinical rotations are poor (some hospitals are good others very poor). Maybe then you

Is it wise to avoid all the Touros? Or just the NY location? I'm considering applying to Touro NV this cycle...
I've never heard a good thing about NY and I wasn't impressed at all with CA, I'd avoid.

Please tell us more
Facilities at TouroCA are the worst I've seen out of any med school I've been to. Literally just two OLD buildings. There are plenty of buildings on the property but none of them are up to earthquake code and the school would have to demolish them and build new buildings which they apparently think is too expensive, so they just sit there and rot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Facilities at TouroCA are the worst I've seen out of any med school I've been to. Literally just two OLD buildings. There are plenty of buildings on the property but none of them are up to earthquake code and the school would have to demolish them and build new buildings which they apparently think is too expensive, so they just sit there and rot.

I take it you interviewed TUCOM and decided to go to another COM?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you tell us?

Why don't you? Instead of making inane posts every time someone says anything about Touro NY maybe you should refute the claims with hard facts? Does Touro not pay you enough to actually put some effort into defending it? I'm genuinely being serious, I've had aquantainces tell me very poor things about Touro NY that fall in line with what I've read on here and if you have actual evidence and facts to the contrary then please share.

Reactions: 3 users
You can never outbid Caribbean schools, especially St. George. They rotate at Harlem hospital alongside Columbia students while we go to community hospitals and tertiary centers in NJ. They also pay large salaries to preceptors and program directors which, in my opinion, also helps with residency placement.

The bolded is more true than people realize. Was talking to our clinical dean with some other students about why we lost a core site (one person was from the city and had family working at the hospital). Our dean straight up told us SGU's opening bid was $2,500/student/month (so $25k+/year/student) and that our school wasn't going to play that game with the hospital.

I don't think it plays as big of a role with residency placement overall, but is certainly helpful at those particular hospitals. There are a few programs in the field I'm applying to where 100% of their residents are IMGs. They also happen to be some of the only programs that don't list where their residents went to med school or even have pictures of them, which makes the shady aspect of potential nepotism on a larger scale seem like a reasonable thought. I can't really confirm that at all and it's mostly just rumors I've heard from a few IMGs I've encountered. But considering I've heard of other questionable practices about clinical rotations of Carib schools directly from IMGs, it wouldn't surprise me all that much to find out it's true.

Reactions: 4 users
Why don't you? Instead of making inane posts every time someone says anything about Touro NY maybe you should refute the claims with hard facts? Does Touro not pay you enough to actually put some effort into defending it? I'm genuinely being serious, I've had aquantainces tell me very poor things about Touro NY that fall in line with what I've read on here and if you have actual evidence and facts to the contrary then please share.

Every school has its weak points. As long as you are pro active and build in those areas on your own, you'll be fine. If Touro is the only school you were accepted to, you should go. Take this opportunity and fulfill your dreams.

Every school has its weak points. As long as you are pro active and build in those areas on your own, you'll be fine. If Touro is the only school you were accepted to, you should go. Take this opportunity and fulfill your dreams.

Ah so you are admitting all of these issues are present?

Reactions: 1 users

Being active only takes you so far. You can't build an understanding of how to work with residents if there aren't any. You cannot get a formal didactic education if there is no physician to give the lecture. Its a two way street and you cannot do it all on your own.

You should not brush this off because it gives school faculty all the more reasons to think these sub-par clinical experiences are acceptable. Some people actually want to get into fellowship and academia. Thus these people need an environment as close as possible to this. Otherwise they will suffer on their audition rotations which can hurt when matching into academic programs.

Watch out y’all, someone anonymous (I think we all know who) is flagging people who don’t have nice things to say about Touro. Maybe we should flag them for abusing the system.

Aye the facilities are pretty unflattering but from a practical standpoint, this means you get more education about using your hands and thoughts in patient evaluation. The machines and gadgets are nice, but you and your brain are arguably the real substance in the practice of medicine
Also the patient is at the center of health care, so I think the case can be made that a modest institution keeps one from feeling elite or above those patients. In some small way, the feel of this place probably keeps us humble.
(i go there)

Also the patient is at the center of health care, so I think the case can be made that a modest institution keeps one from feeling elite or above those patients. In some small way, the feel of this place probably keeps us humble.
(i go there)

That is some serious mental gymnastics lol. But overall I agree, physical appearance doesn't mean much, if anything, to your medical education.

Reactions: 2 users
Aye the facilities are pretty unflattering but from a practical standpoint, this means you get more education about using your hands and thoughts in patient evaluation. The machines and gadgets are nice, but you and your brain are arguably the real substance in the practice of medicine
(i go there)
When they're charging you that much, it matters.

I wouldn't take anything serious from someone named Upset2ndyearDO...
Don't you get tired of being a keyboard warrior?
Don't you ever get tired of plugging your ears?

so...hypothetically....best med school in the world is in a swamp, you're out?

So hypothetically you are okay with the best medical school having excess funds that are not being put into you having a quality education, when you are spending so much money for it?

Last edited:
So hypothetically you are okay with the best medical school having excess funds that are not being put into you having a quality education, when you are spending so much money for it?
not sure how this relates to a school's appearance

then...yeah...im down with a school not spending their bucks on looking nice and putting it back into education.

Keep one thing in mind, and this is going to be an unpopular statement.

The way a person looks on the outside is very often a reflection of how that person thinks of themselves. When we see someone who dresses nicely, puts effort into their appearance, and carries themselves well, we know that person takes themselves seriously and knows their worth.

It's the same with businesses, cities, towns... and schools. When town doesn't care about how it looks, crime goes up, property values go down, and the town goes to hell. A school that doesn't care about how it looks... is often a school where the students, faculty, and administration don't take themselves very seriously either.

You can say that this is correlation, not causation... I say it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. There's a reason why crime goes down when the town just fixes the broken windows and cleans the trash up.

I'm NOT saying this is how it is with Touro. I'm just speaking generally. In fact, I think the story with Touro is WAY more complicated than this, and on the inside the school does look like they care.

Last edited:
Keep one thing in mind, and this is going to be an unpopular statement.

The way a person looks on the outside is very often a reflection of how that person thinks of themselves. When we see someone who dresses nicely, puts effort into their appearance, and carries themselves well, we know that person takes themselves seriously and knows their worth.

It's the same with businesses, cities, towns... and schools. When town doesn't care about how it looks, crime goes up, property values go down, and the town goes to hell. A school that doesn't care about how it looks... is often a school where the students, faculty, and administration don't take themselves very seriously either.

You can say that this is correlation, not causation... I say it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. There's a reason why crime goes down when the town just fixes the broken windows and cleans the trash up.

I'm NOT saying this is how it is with Touro. I'm just speaking generally. In fact, I think the story with Touro is WAY more complicated than this, and on the inside the school does look like they care.

Olympic-level mental gymnastics. 10/10.

Most of the income of this school is funneled into the main Touro campus downtown. We have lost 3 faculty this past year and 3 more faculty are considering leaving due to pay and the attitude of the school and the culture. There is a strong annimosity between the school and the administration. I am just trying to make everyone aware of the issues here (I did not know about them when I applied). Apply to schools wisely.

Most of the income of this school is funneled into the main Touro campus downtown. We have lost 3 faculty this past year and 3 more faculty are considering leaving due to pay and the attitude of the school and the culture. There is a strong annimosity between the school and the administration. I am just trying to make everyone aware of the issues here (I did not know about them when I applied). Apply to schools wisely.
This is what I hear from my friends in the Touro system.

In a weird way I’m kind of glad it took me multiple attempts to get accepted bc I started picking schools a LOOOOOOOT more carefully.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Wow! Lots of my classmates seem to be in the habit of following a very specific pattern!

1) joined less than a week before posting (oh what’s this, you just joined today? Seems legit.)
2) has less than 10 posts about how Touro sucks, and nothing else
3) posts in the same 3-4 Touro threads only, and posts on no other subjects
4) makes the exact same claims (PLEASE tell me how you happen to know about the career plans of several professors as a 2nd or 3rd year student! I call bullsh*t).
5) claims to be a female third year student (or sometimes a 2nd year, even within the same account sometimes!)
6) Has an extremely generic username.
7) use the same language.

If I didn’t know better, I’d say that making multiple sockpuppet accounts for the purpose of bashing a school was a violation of TOS...

Forgot your password, @Upset2ndyearDO ?

@bigindian4891 why does it surprise you that more and more touro students are taking to the internet to spread the honest truth about touro. Do you have some type of vested interest in this place? If you do maybe you should try spending some time fixing the place.