An open letter about Touro NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Upset2ndyearDO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is a new year so there should be a new thread about the problems of this school. This is from the perspective of a second year

Administration simply did not care about our clinical rotations. Many of us don't have enough time to look for housing.

Many of us will be rotating at small doctors clinics.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
All of this talk about the Touros on SDN is keeping me far away from any of the campuses.

But then again, if it's someones only acceptance, it still beats no medical school.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Touro-NY seems to generate this excess of money every year, where is it going?

Touro-NY seems to generate this excess of money every year, where is it going?
My friends who work at Touro-CA and NV tell me that the Touro system is a money loser overall, but the med schools are not. Hence, like at my parent school and many others, the Art school is funded by the Engineering school, or the Surgery dept' funds Family Med (very rough analogies, with names changed to protect the guilty).

But the OP reinforces my notion that people should avoid Touro-NY.

Reactions: 1 users
My friends who work at Touro-CA and NV tell me that the Touro system is a money loser overall, but the med schools are not. Hence, like at my parent school and many others, the Art school is funded by the Engineering school, or the Surgery dept' funds Family Med (very rough analogies, with names changed to protect the guilty).

Makes sense they would do transfer funds, it just that this school probably has the greatest excess of funds in comparison to almost all DO schools. I am wondering if they are planing something else or if it is just reabsorbed to the Touro system?

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/fy2013-RevandExpbyCOM.pdf?sfvrsn=36

Makes sense they would do transfer funds, it just that this school probably has the greatest excess of funds in comparison to almost all DO schools. I am wondering if they are planing something else or if it is just reabsorbed to the Touro system?

http://www.aacom.org/docs/default-source/data-and-trends/fy2013-RevandExpbyCOM.pdf?sfvrsn=36
There is no way that Touro-NY keeps that money....it's disappearing into the parent Touro's pockets. My med school suffers the same fate.

Hey Goro, what other schools do you believe prospective applicants should actively avoid? I've heard you mention CUSOM, LUCOM, and William Carey. Is there any other that you would advise against?

Hey Goro, what other schools do you believe prospective applicants should actively avoid? I've heard you mention CUSOM, LUCOM, and William Carey. Is there any other that you would advise against?
I am OK with CUSOM, but be aware of their required lecture attendance policy.

I am OK with WCU. They seem to have outgrown their teething pains. Not having a campus is perhaps problematic.

LUCOM? Avoid like the plague.

Reactions: 3 users
This is a new year so there should be a new thread about the problems of this school. This is from the perspective of a second year

Administration simply did not care about our clinical rotations. Many of us don't have enough time to look for housing.

Any idea if the not enough clinical rotations extends beyond to Touro Middletown or is it just in Harlem?

You'd imagine Touro-NY would try to at least shuffle some of the students into the NYMC spots given both belong to the same parent institution(Touro)--I mean they're roughly paying the same price.

This poster has created several threads identical to this one. We get it, something happened to you and you don't like it. Air your dirty laundry somewhere else.

Reactions: 11 users
This poster has created several threads identical to this one. We get it, something happened to you and you don't like it. Air your dirty laundry somewhere else.

I suspect OP is the reincarnation of doczebra. That's not to say things are all peachy keen at Touro NY - there are real problems and a fair amount of pissed off students. It is also true that some students don't get the rotations they want, and some rotations are kind of crappy. But let's be real, you're probably gonna end up just as well off as you would at any other DO.

Reactions: 2 users
I suspect OP is the reincarnation of doczebra. That's not to say things are all peachy keen at Touro NY - there are real problems and a fair amount of pissed off students. It is also true that some students don't get the rotations they want, and some rotations are kind of crappy. But let's be real, you're probably gonna end up just as well off as you would at any other DO.

Lol. OP's just bitching about moving and that's a flimsy thing to complain about. The only thing touro did okay was giving us >2 months between the final module and rotations.

(Note, Touro screwed that up as well. Beginning rotations in July was asinine. It completely screws up the timing for aways. There's a reason most schools begin rotations April-June)

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. OP's just bitching about moving and that's a flimsy thing to complain about. The only thing touro did okay was giving us >2 months between the final module and rotations.

(Note, Touro screwed that up as well. Beginning rotations in July was asinine. It completely screws up the timing for aways. There's a reason most schools begin rotations April-June)

Holy crap you guys I just summoned a dead user back to life.

How can you bad mouth Touro when one of their OMS1s just RAISED THE DEAD?!

Reactions: 8 users
I am OK with CUSOM, but be aware of their required lecture attendance policy.

I am OK with WCU. They seem to have outgrown their teething pains. Not having a campus is perhaps problematic.

LUCOM? Avoid like the plague.

Whats the problem with LUCOM again? I always see avoid but never saw the reason why.......

Visit the actual schools and talk to students, faculty, etc. to decide where you want to go. If you base your entire future on what an anonymous user says on an internet forum you're gonna have a bad time.

Venting anonymously on a message board (repeatedly) is not productive OP, you have no one to blame but yourself. Fix the things you can fix, accept what you can't and go out there & do your best.

Visit the actual schools and talk to students, faculty, etc. to decide where you want to go. If you base your entire future on what an anonymous user says on an internet forum you're gonna have a bad time.

Venting anonymously on a message board (repeatedly) is not productive OP, you have no one to blame but yourself. Fix the things you can fix, accept what you can't and go out there & do your best.
Not gonna spend >$200 + travel fees to visit and apply to schools with a bad rep. There's enough of them out there that I can be somewhat choosey, hence why I'm asking for opinions on different schools. I'm most definitely not "basing my entire future" on what I'm reading here, but I am using it to get valid information to help me decide to which schools I should apply.

Definitely not applying to Touro NY. I am undecided on Touro NV/CA...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using SDN mobile

Not gonna spend >$200 + travel fees to visit and apply to schools with a bad rep. There's enough of them out there that I can be somewhat choosey, hence why I'm asking for opinions on different schools. I'm most definitely not "basing my entire future" on what I'm reading here, but I am using it to get valid information to help me decide to which schools I should apply.

It's the Harlem campus in NY that seems to have the most issues.

Touro NV/CA should be fine, so I would apply to these only.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Smart thinking.

That being said, that line of thinking is exactly why I didn't apply to Rocky Vista. SDN ripped on them hard. Their for-profit status was a black mark on the whole field of medicine, especially DO. Lots of articles were written by doctors on why RVU was an embarrassment to everyone. Good thing I didn't apply there!

But then RVU turned into a powerhouse, producing the strongest match lists of the DO schools while sending DOs to prestigious programs that had never taken DOs before. They set a new standard for what DO education should be like.

Oops.

Reactions: 9 users
can someone elaborate on the clinical rotations for touro Middletown? is it really that bad? they really didn't mention much at all during interview day and I haven't seen many specifics on here either. thanks

I came here for an interview and hated it while I was there. The student they had representing the school outright told us that that he hated the school. The dean came in and ranted about how we should only go into family medicine and that if we decide to do anything else the school has "failed." Many schools are proud of their diverse match list.
Also, they also seemed to be cocky from the number of people they had last year. From what I have heard, normally they have to go deep into their waitlist and beg people to come to the school. Instead of having the interview day be a day where they are also advertising the school to us, it seemed as though they were trying to discourage us from attending.

I went to the school and spoke to the students and faculty and they are the reason I do not want to attend this school.

I came here for an interview and hated it while I was there. The student they had representing the school outright told us that that he hated the school. The dean came in and ranted about how we should only go into family medicine and that if we decide to do anything else the school has "failed." Many schools are proud of their diverse match list.
Also, they also seemed to be cocky from the number of people they had last year. From what I have heard, normally they have to go deep into their waitlist and beg people to come to the school. Instead of having the interview day be a day where they are also advertising the school to us, it seemed as though they were trying to discourage us from attending.

I went to the school and spoke to the students and faculty and they are the reason I do not want to attend this school.

I'm extremely suspicious of a user with a single post (this one) who makes claims like this.

Most rumors about Touro are spread by unhappy students and are based on some sort of truth.

But this post I'm gonna have to rate "pants on fire."

Reactions: 3 users

Quick google search: TouroCOM NY Rotations Sites https://tourocom.touro.edu/academics/do-program/clinical/rotation-site-map/

They are adding new sites every year, I heard students this year got the choice to rotate in Syracuse.

Poor planning on the student (Upset2ndyearDO) shouldn't be blamed on the School or Administration

OP is clearly just a disgruntled student who didn't get the rotation site that he wanted and is lashing out. Don't let an anonymous post (who has continuously posted on SDN with complaints) deter you from coming to/considering this school.

Things aren't perfect but every school has their problems. I have yet to hear of any other 2nd year complain like "Upset2ndYearDO" has.

Hearing it from someone who isn't me would substantiate my claim

I'd need to know what claim to substantiate first, plus, I'm asking you.

All I ever hear is vague "something's not right." From lots of people. No specifics, nothing.

We lost two rotation sites and the school is refusing to pursue other major clinical sites. Major problem with clinical sites. Students are forced to scramble to find other sites for the "core" rotations.

We lost two rotation sites and the school is refusing to pursue other major clinical sites. Major problem with clinical sites. Students are forced to scramble to find other sites for the "core" rotations.
Which sites were lost, and why?

Yeah.. would be helpful to current Touro applicants (and medical students) if this person could clearly explain the situation instead of fear mongering.

@Peach Newport , how has your experience been so far?

I'm only starting OMS2 but I can't say I have any major complaints (so far). I just stay busy. My biggest complaint so far is that the campus is depressing as hell.

The administration gave us a bunch of presentations that really made it seem like they're putting their best foot forward toward fixing the school's problems. They claim to have made a lot of progress fixing our mediocre level 2 scores.

If true I find this very concerning. When my school loses rotation sites,( and all schools lose rotation sites, even MD schools do), we scramble like mad to find new ones.

I suspect that the Touro organization simply doesn't want to pay to find new rotation sites.

I'm only starting OMS2 but I can't say I have any major complaints (so far). I just stay busy. My biggest complaint so far is that the campus is depressing as hell.

The administration gave us a bunch of presentations that really made it seem like they're putting their best foot forward toward fixing the school's problems. They claim to have made a lot of progress fixing our mediocre level 2 scores.
That's good to hear. Just one more Q, as I have an interview soon: what did you think about the first year curriculum? It seems incredibly time consuming, as in you have to be on campus for many hours every day. Did you have time/energy to study properly every day? What about time to do small activities that you enjoy a few times a week (i.e. exercise, hobbies, etc.)?

That's good to hear. Just one more Q, as I have an interview soon: what did you think about the first year curriculum? It seems incredibly time consuming, as in you have to be on campus for many hours every day. Did you have time/energy to study properly every day? What about time to do small activities that you enjoy a few times a week (i.e. exercise, hobbies, etc.)?

First year curriculum seems pretty standard.

Teachers are mostly pretty good.

It IS very time consuming, but if you figure out how to get studying done in clickers it'll go better. I had very little free time for the first few months, I gradually got better. Now I might take an evening or two off during the weekends but I generally study straight through the day until 11pm.

That being said, I'm a very inefficient studier and I'm gunning for Jewish dermatology so I might not be a good representative. Lots of us make free time.

But my advice is to go to the school that costs the least - and this is coming from someone who grew up rich.

Everything @Upset2ndyearDO said was true. We lost Trinitas to St. George this year. Trinitas would usually take a large portion of students. They now have to drive all the way to Middleton sites (2-3 hours away). The students asked the school for housing reimbursement because all of this happened within 2 weeks before rotations started and people had already settled in to new homes. The school didn't do anything.
I would strongly advise all pre-med students to reconsider Touro-NY. This school is a giant mess, from administration to the curriculum.

@Pezeveng Will you guys still have rotations at Hackensack with them planning on creating a medical program with Seton Hall? Also I'm pretty sure New York is arguably one of the most Caribbean friendly rotation sites, if not also being one of the more favorably Caribbean residency sites. Makes sense when you consider the hospitals in that region are floundering financially. There is always room for private capital when financial capital is needed. Surprised Touro isn't reinvesting that expensive tuition on making more competitive bids.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pezeveng Will you guys still have rotations at Hackensack with them planning on creating a medical program with Seton Hall? Also I'm pretty sure New York is arguably one of the most Caribbean friendly rotation sites, if not also being one of the more favorably Caribbean residency sites. Makes sense when you consider the hospitals in that region are floundering financially. There is always room for private capital when financial capital is needed. Surprised Touro isn't reinvesting that expensive tuition on making more competitive bids.

I don't think Hackensack was an option this year but not 100% sure. I only know Trinitas was dropped last minute.
I also know St. Barnabas was a NYITCOM site but they are now partnered with CUNY's new medical school but NYITCOM at least still has a bunch of sites in Long Island.
You can never outbid Caribbean schools, especially St. George. They rotate at Harlem hospital alongside Columbia students while we go to community hospitals and tertiary centers in NJ. They also pay large salaries to preceptors and program directors which, in my opinion, also helps with residency placement.

I don't think Hackensack was an option this year but not 100% sure. I only know Trinitas was dropped last minute.
I also know St. Barnabas was a NYITCOM site but they are now partnered with CUNY's new medical school but NYITCOM at least still has a bunch of sites in Long Island.
You can never outbid Caribbean schools, especially St. George. They rotate at Harlem hospital alongside Columbia students while we go to community hospitals and tertiary centers in NJ. They also pay large salaries to preceptors and program directors which, in my opinion, also helps with residency placement.

True, you cannot outbid schools like SGU, but it just sad, though. I mean, you would expect students from US MD/DO schools to be able to rotate in hospitals/clinics of their choosing or at least at places where they would like to be and practice in the future, but no. This issue of IMGs/FMGs overpopulating the healthcare system is definitely more true for NY than other states.

I don't think Hackensack was an option this year but not 100% sure. I only know Trinitas was dropped last minute. I also know St. Barnabas was a NYITCOM site but they are now partnered with CUNY's new medical school but NYITCOM at least still has a bunch of sites in Long Island. You can never outbid Caribbean schools, especially St. George. They rotate at Harlem hospital alongside Columbia students while we go to community hospitals and tertiary centers in NJ. They also pay large salaries to preceptors and program directors which, in my opinion, also helps with residency placement.
Not only Columbia. Seen overlap with Ross University sites and Cornell Weill. Surprised you guys don't get NY Methodist. Then again, I only say that because I'm surprised any hospital allows all their student rotation opportunities to be bought out by one or two schools rather than allowing for a fixed distribution model with a flexible amount of seats to be bought out e.g. schools getting 5 seats each with x amount of seats being open bid. I think that an open bid for a limited amount of seats can still net in the same capital, because Caribbean schools are forced to rotate their students through the U.S. system so they will pay a premium for whatever little seats are offered to them. It honestly seems to me like the hospitals fell prey for easy money and allowed the Caribbean schools to set the status quo rather than collectively bargaining to see if they could still confer meritocratic bias for U.S. MD/DO students and still come out with a ton of cash from IMG farms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hackensack is not one of our rotation sites. It was 4-5 years ago or so, though.

Hackensack is mostly likely going to drop off in a few years because Seton Hall is going to essentially become the main med school for them like University hospital is for NJMS

By drop off i meant the rotations map since Seton Hall will control it

Last edited:
Everything @Upset2ndyearDO said was true. We lost Trinitas to St. George this year. Trinitas would usually take a large portion of students. They now have to drive all the way to Middleton sites (2-3 hours away). The students asked the school for housing reimbursement because all of this happened within 2 weeks before rotations started and people had already settled in to new homes. The school didn't do anything.
I would strongly advise all pre-med students to reconsider Touro-NY. This school is a giant mess, from administration to the curriculum.

Just to be sure, are you talking about Harlem or Middletown losing Trinitas?

Not uncommon for medical school, MD or DO, to change rotation sites due different contracts or looking for better learning opportunities for its students...