AMTRAK the only train between Philly and DC? $$$!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

burlypie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the best, cheapest way to get (quickly) between Philly and DC? I was flabbergasted to see that it costs $90 for a round trip. Is there a cheaper way or is this just another expense I have to suck up?

Members don't see this ad.

You could take a bus (cheaper, probably not faster) or rent a car.

Originally posted by Wednesday
You could take a bus (cheaper, probably not faster) or rent a car.
greyhound will cost you 46 bucks round trip.

also, the chinatown buses that usually run between philly<-->nyc and nyc<--->DC will be starting a philly<--->nyc service next week. its 20 bucks roundtrip, check out www.2000coach.com

Members don't see this ad :)
Either take the bus or rent a car...It's about a three hour drive from Philly to DC depending on traffic in Balto and the Balto-DC corridor

If I were you, I would take a bus. The traffic in and around DC is atrocious, especially if you are driving anywhere near rush hour. If you are driving, take 29 or 295 to get to DC. 95 and 495 traffic is some of the worst traffic in the country. You might also want to find a public parking garage outside of DC and take the Metro into the city. The DC roads can be very confusing if you aren't familiar with them.

Anyone know of a car rental company who will rent to a 24-year old?

Strangely, when I travel on government business, I'm allowed to rent a car as a 24-year old, but if I'm not going on government orders, there are a whole lot more restrictions. Ugh!

DW - thanks for the heads-up about the Chinatown buses in Philly! Not sure how the NY trip would compare to taking the train with the Trenton transfer, but it'll definitely make a difference for DC.

Hmm - I just looked at the FAQ, and it says Philly-NY takes 2 hours. I guess that's shorter than the train? It seems fairly comfortable, too...