Difference between PTE and CTE Deadline

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandman23

All Glory to Jesus
Reaction score
Couple things:
  1. I thought PTE was completely optional. If that's true, what's up with the PTE deadline?
  2. Correct me if I'm wrong but the PTE deadline has no barring on how many schools we need to narrow down to.
  3. And to tag along with #2, is there ever a point that we need to narrow down to anything more than 1 school? As in, if there's any requirement to narrow down offers, it'd be to narrow it down to 1 offer?
  4. The CTE deadline is the only deadline that's relevant for narrowing down to 1 offer, correct? So essentially, if I went by the earliest CTE deadline from my offers & narrowed down to 1 offer by then, I'm good, right?

Members don't see this ad.

Couple things:
  1. I thought PTE was completely optional. If that's true, what's up with the PTE deadline?
  2. Correct me if I'm wrong but the PTE deadline has no barring on how many schools we need to narrow down to.
  3. And to tag along with #2, is there ever a point that we need to narrow down to anything more than 1 school? As in, if there's any requirement to narrow down offers, it'd be to narrow it down to 1 offer?
  4. The CTE deadline is the only deadline that's relevant for narrowing down to 1 offer, correct? So essentially, if I went by the earliest CTE deadline from my offers & narrowed down to 1 offer by then, I'm good, right?
April 15th was the deadline to narrow down to 3 offers. On April 30th, you must narrow down to no more than one offer. April 30th is not the CTE deadline. The CTE deadline is very school-specific and has a lot to do with the individual school's start date for the M1 year.
The main difference is this:
On April 30th, you must narrow down to one acceptance, but you can still remain on waitlists for other schools. For the CTE deadline (different from April 30th), once you click CTE you must withdraw yourself from all other waitlists.

April 15th was the deadline to narrow down to 3 offers. On April 30th, you must narrow down to no more than one offer. April 30th is not the CTE deadline. The CTE deadline is very school-specific and has a lot to do with the individual school's start date for the M1 year.
Apr 15th & 30th are only suggestions I'm told. About CTE deadlines, just wanted to check if my strategy works there - narrowing down to 1 offer by the earliest CTE deadline, at least if I even will enroll in that school. Otherwise, I could just drop my A there & move onto the next upcoming CTE deadline

You know about those 2 first Qs on PTE?

Members don't see this ad :)
Apr 15th & 30th are only suggestions I'm told. About CTE deadlines, just wanted to check if my strategy works there - narrowing down to 1 offer by the earliest CTE deadline, at least if I even will enroll in that school. Otherwise, I could just drop my A there & move onto the next upcoming CTE deadline

You know about those 2 first Qs on PTE?
I don't think your strategy is correct. The earliest CTE deadline I know of is in mid-May (but correct me if I'm wrong). That is way too late to narrow down to one offer. Regardless of any of your school's CTE deadlines, you must narrow down to one acceptance by April 30th. It is policy by the AAMC and is the ethical thing to do for waitlisted applicants who have been waiting nearly 11 months at this point for acceptances.
I am not 100% sure about your PTE questions. I just know that April 30th is the big day coming up for having to narrow down to one offer. You do not have to click CTE on April 30th though unless one of your schools has April 30th as the CTE deadline.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think your strategy is correct. The earliest CTE deadline I know of is in mid-May (but correct me if I'm wrong). That is way too late to narrow down to one offer. Regardless of any of your school's CTE deadlines, you must narrow down to one acceptance by April 30th. It is policy by the AAMC and is the ethical thing to do for waitlisted applicants who have been waiting nearly 11 months at this point for acceptances.
I am not 100% sure about your PTE questions. I just know that April 30th is the big day coming up for having to narrow down to one offer. You do not have to click CTE on April 30th though unless one of your schools has April 30th as the CTE deadline.
I haven't received a single FA package - I can't make a decision until knowing what financial aid is coming my way. There are quite a few threads on here discussing the traffic rules as being only a suggestion, not a rule - honestly a huge misnomer on AAMC's part

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't received a single FA package - I can't make a decision until knowing what financial aid is coming my way. There are quite a few threads on here discussing the traffic rules as being only a suggestion, not a rule - honestly a huge misnomer on AAMC's part
Have you contacted the schools about when they will send you your packages?

The traffic rules are suggestions for organizing behavior among the admissions offices so they don't scoop each other's committed candidates. (Think of it as "anti-tampering" rules.) But CYMS governs your part in keeping the process orderly and maximizing others' chances to get an offer.

If anything, you will receive some harsh emails from schools who may notice you aren't following the timelines, so if your reasoning is because of financial aid, you may as well start making decisions based on the information you have and not be too wishful about your financial aid. Expect everything to be processed as loans and very minimal grants. Yes, it really stinks, but the financial aid officers don't like this situation either.

A lot of the talk so far has to do with debate over traffic rules being a hard and fast rule or not. The conclusion I’ve reached from verbiage on most school timelines & the AAMC’s site is it isn’t.

My questions are more about PTE & CTE, rather than traffic rules. Don’t mean to be too brash. Just tryna find clarity with those specific questions I had earlier

A lot of the talk so far has to do with debate over traffic rules being a hard and fast rule or not. The conclusion I’ve reached from verbiage on most school timelines & the AAMC’s site is it isn’t.

My questions are more about PTE & CTE, rather than traffic rules. Don’t mean to be too brash. Just tryna find clarity with those specific questions I had earlier
Start here if you haven't already (if you have, this is for everyone else who comes across this thread).

Couple things:

The following is based on experience and not specific meant to be representative of actions or policies from admissions committees in general.

1. I don't know what you mean by a PTE deadline. One can begin to select PTE beginning February 19. You can begin to select CTE as well as PTE beginning April 30.

2. The website describes the intention of PTE on specific dates.

Plan to Enroll – prior to April 30*

Plan to Enroll: I have preliminarily selected this medical school as the one I plan to attend in accordance with Protocol 9 of the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants.

Beginning April 30th, medical schools can see which of their accepted applicants have selected "Plan to Enroll" at their institution. I understand that I can continue to interview, hold my current acceptance offers and receive additional acceptance offers, and remain on any waitlist at any other medical schools to which I applied.

Plan to Enroll – beginning April 30*

Plan to Enroll: I have selected this medical school as the one I plan to attend in accordance with Protocol 9 of the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants. By selecting "Plan to Enroll," I am communicating to all schools at which I hold an acceptance that I have a made a choice about the school at which I plan to enroll, and that I have withdrawn from my other acceptances, and hold only one acceptance. I understand that it is my responsibility to communicate with the other medical schools directly and to follow their school-specific processes to withdraw my application(s). I understand that I can continue to interview, remain on any waitlist, and receive additional acceptance offers. Beginning April 30th, medical schools can see which applicants have selected “Plan to Enroll” at their institution.

A summary table is included that makes a suggestion to applicants that beginning April 15, applicants should narrow their offers down to three.

I suppose if there is any "deadline", it is to make sure you declare PTE to all the schools where you have received offers by April 30. but for the orderliness of the process, you should have no more than three PTEs by April 15 and one PTE by April 30.

3. After April 30, applicants are advised to use CTE at the direction of schools where they intend to enroll, usually by 3 weeks before matriculation/orientation. Medical schools begin to have access to more detailed reports that identify candidates in their entering class and their own waitlists who have indicated PTE or CTE (their own program vs. other AMCAS schools). Admissions offices will begin to send letters to those applicants not observed to comply according to these reports.

4. In general, CTE is the decision that really matters and should only be done when you have committed to one program where you will be attending. It requires you to withdraw from any waitlists and other pending offers through direct communication.

Now to the situation at hand regarding financial aid: everyone knows there's a problem with it. We have seen no signals from the AAMC Committee on Admissions that CYMS deadlines will change. We have heard admissions offices will be sympathetic as they can be with the situation, but no one is delaying orientation because of FAFSA issues. Basically, the ball is in your court to make the best informed decision you can within the timelines the schools expect you to adhere to.

I'm certain all admissions teams have chatted about what they will do or complain about seeing lots of applicants delay actions until they see financial aid packages. For many, the tersely worded emails are ready to go on May 1 or 2. Unless you have already been given a significant tuition/COA scholarship, don't expect one to just land on your lap between now and April 30. The clock is running, and you need to decide what you are going to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My questions are more about PTE & CTE, rather than traffic rules.
They cannot be neatly separated from each other.

On April 30 medical schools will have access to information that was previously embargoed. If I'm running admissions at School X, I can look up a given applicant (who has been accepted or waitlisted) and see their status:

PTE at my school
PTE at another school
CTE at my school
CTE at another school
No Decision

I can then start the process of rescinding offers of acceptance to anyone who has chosen PTE or CTE at another school. I can also reach out to No Decision people and give them a deadline to void or get off the pot.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
This was sent to me by a school and I’ve found it very helpful to keep everything straight:

1713677051314.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
The main difference is this:
On April 30th, you must narrow down to one acceptance, but you can still remain on waitlists for other schools. For the CTE deadline (different from April 30th), once you click CTE you must withdraw yourself from all other waitlists.
follow up question- I’m only on one MD waitlist (couple DO acceptances) do I need to do anything? Thought i saw in past years that waitlist people still need to mark pte to signify your interest in the school? Can you confirm? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
follow up question- I’m only on one MD waitlist (couple DO acceptances) do I need to do anything? Thought i saw in past years that waitlist people still need to mark pte to signify your interest in the school? Can you confirm? Thanks!
Confirm with the school where you are waitlisted.

If I am only accepted at one school but am not sure I want to attend, do I have to select PTE at this school on April 30th? There is no specified PTE deadline for this school. I have a higher preference for some of the schools I am waitlisted at and they might see that I am PTE at another school.

If I am only accepted at one school but am not sure I want to attend, do I have to select PTE at this school on April 30th? There is no specified PTE deadline for this school. I have a higher preference for some of the schools I am waitlisted at and they might see that I am PTE at another school.
After the research, I did the information that I have found out is that even if you plan to enroll but you are on the waitlist you can get off the waitlist.

After the research, I did the information that I have found out is that even if you plan to enroll but you are on the waitlist you can get off the waitlist.
Where did you find this being said?

edit: I saw an email from aamc that says only applicants with a current acceptance will be able to see and use the tool. So I’m assuming there’s nothing else to do but wait then if you are MD waitlist only?

Where did you find this being said?

Plan to Enroll: I have selected this medical school as the one I plan to attend in accordance with Protocol 9 of the Application and Acceptance Protocols for Applicants. By selecting "Plan to Enroll," I am communicating to all schools at which I hold an acceptance that I have a made a choice about the school at which I plan to enroll, and that I have withdrawn from my other acceptances, and hold only one acceptance. I understand that it is my responsibility to communicate with the other medical schools directly and to follow their school-specific processes to withdraw my application(s). I understand that I can continue to interview, remain on any waitlist, and receive additional acceptance offers. Beginning April 30th, medical schools can see which applicants have selected “Plan to Enroll” at their institution.

edit: I saw an email from aamc that says only applicants with a current acceptance will be able to see and use the tool. So I’m assuming there’s nothing else to do but wait then if you are MD waitlist only?
This is correct.

It would serve no purpose to give applicants without acceptances access to the tool.

My bad, thought g07doc said we'd have to be off the waitlist for PTE - read it wrong

They cannot be neatly separated from each other.

On April 30 medical schools will have access to information that was previously embargoed. If I'm running admissions at School X, I can look up a given applicant (who has been accepted or waitlisted) and see their status:

PTE at my school
PTE at another school
CTE at my school
CTE at another school
No Decision

I can then start the process of rescinding offers of acceptance to anyone who has chosen PTE or CTE at another school. I can also reach out to No Decision people and give them a deadline to void or get off the pot.
This is interesting because I didn’t realize that schools I am on the waitlist for can see where I’m PTE at after April 30th. My question now is: if I am PTE at a school but would rather go to a different school I am on the WL for, does it make a negative impact on an admission decision for the WL school because I am “planning” to go somewhere else? Or is there not really a way to find out how this influences their decision lol

This is interesting because I didn’t realize that schools I am on the waitlist for can see where I’m PTE at after April 30th. My question now is: if I am PTE at a school but would rather go to a different school I am on the WL for, does it make a negative impact on an admission decision for the WL school because I am “planning” to go somewhere else? Or is there not really a way to find out how this influences their decision lol
I don't think the schools can see exactly where you have PTE'd? Only that you have PTE'd somewhere.

It depends. On whether the waitlist is ranked or pooled, whether it's early May or late June, and whether there are 9 or 90 seats to fill.

Overall I don't think there's any particular harm in not selecting PTE until you have to. Just don't leave it until 11:58 pm on the day of the deadline.