American University of Beirut - School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IPremed2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about anything about this school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
If you are looking for a medical school in the Middle East, look into Sackler School of Medicine in Tel Aviv. Don't know what your opinions on the Arab/Israeli conflict are, but if your looking for a good school that can lead to an American residency, Sackler is one that is recognized pretty well in America.

But if the carib and ireland are too unarab for you, you can look at RCSI Bahrain. Beautiful campus. New facilities. European Degree. Modern City. However, you will have to have a working knowledge of arabic to interact with some patients by third year.

for every avatar u have ever changed that i have noticed, this one is :thumbup:

Last edited:
yes, I have been trying to find the perfect one. I think I got it. camilla belle if you were wondering...

ahhh u read my mind lol. she can change her look completely. i hardily recognized her lol.

American University of Beirut is a good school if you intend to stay and practice in the Middle East.

If your intent is practice here the best schools in the Middle East are:
1) Cornell - Qatar
2) Sackler - Israel
3) RCSI - Bahrain

I would not go to AU-B.

American University of Beirut is a good school if you intend to stay and practice in the Middle East.

1) Cornell - Qatar
2) Sackler - Israel
3) RCSI - Bahrain

I would not go to AU-B.

Hey - what did you base these rankings on?

I found out yesterday that my Gyn Onc attending went there for medical school. Then again, he was from the region, and he graduated in 1966.

So two of my uncles went there (from the region obviously), and both practice now in the US. They just went there though because it was one of like 2 options for medical school in Lebanon. One of them got residencies/fellowships at some top notch places afterwards (Emory, Harvard, etc.). From what I gather it's all about how you do and what you do with it- particularly what kind of research you can get yourself in. You can go to a no-name school and still succeed and vis versa. Hope that helps!

Percentage of the class that is able to come and practice in the US (and pass rates for the USMLE).

In terms of these stats, Sackler leads, followed by Cornell - Qatar (likely because most students there intend to practice in Qatar) and then RCSI - Baharain is a distant third. Most students from AUB do not go with the intent to practice in the US and their courses are not geared toward the USMLE.

Hey - what did you base these rankings on?

It has a reputation as a pretty decent medical school - one of the best in the Arab world. I'm not sure how many of their graduates pursue residencies in the US, though. Very nice campus. I studied Arabic a few blocks away at LAU.

Members don't see this ad :)
Percentage of the class that is able to come and practice in the US (and pass rates for the USMLE).

In terms of these stats, Sackler leads, followed by Cornell - Qatar (likely because most students there intend to practice in Qatar) and then RCSI - Baharain is a distant third. Most students from AUB do not go with the intent to practice in the US and their courses are not geared toward the USMLE.

Is this recent? How do you know that their curriculum is not geared towards USMLE? Would you recommend RCSI Bahrain over AUB?

1) Cornell - Qatar
2) Sackler - Israel
3) RCSI - Bahrain

I would not go to AU-B.

Would Duke-Singapore be on that list as well?

Singapore isn't in the Middle East

I'm not sure about the comparison with RCSI Bahrain, but AUB Medical Center sees some of the most difficult cases in the middle east and thus the clinical experience is probably better than that of Cornell Qatar which is a fairly new center.. even though admittedly the Qatar people might match better.. you need to however consider the effect of having a US passport vs not having one. Keep in mind that AUB is not just another one of those "American University of ... " schools.. it's been around since 1834 and has a very long tradition of excellence

also importantly... it's the only non-US based school that will grant you AOA status... although the AUB students will probably beat your ***** to it lol

AUB is actually pretty intense in terms of the amount of studying and learning but it's not very much geared towards the USMLE like others said. i.e. you have to study for them on your own and the questions that you get on AUB exams are not boards style.. however pretty much all students are planning to go to either the US or UK/Europe so you won't have a problem figuring out how to study for it etc..

hi
i dunno from where some people got their info about aub , but aub follows an american curriculm that prepares all of their students to take USMLE , actually class rate for matching is 90 % ( 70/80 match the 10 wants to stay or delayed their usmle ).
its a four year program , in addition its extremely recognised in the US (harvard , yale included)

ps : before 1985 aub was considered an american medical school

an aub grad

AUB is as prestigious as Harvard and Yale?

hi
...in addition its extremely recognised in the US (harvard , yale included)

LOL-WUT.jpg

AUB grad = not controlled for selection bias.

He was probably talking about how AUB grads are recognized by residency programs associated with Harvard and Yale. (ie AUB grads have matched there.)

Apparently AUB is Harvard of the Caribbean....

He was probably talking about how AUB grads are recognized by residency programs associated with Harvard and Yale. (ie AUB grads have matched there.)

Indya - run off to your high school guidance counselor and see if they can print us off a match list for HMS or Yale. Then tell me how many graduates of AUB matched into those programs a few days ago. Yes, I'm aware that PDs at those schools have "heard" of AUB.

I'll leave it to you to explain what happened in 1985 to cause AUB to no longer be an "American" medical school.

Carry on.

Indya - run off to your high school guidance counselor and see if they can print us off a match list for HMS or Yale. Then tell me how many graduates of AUB matched into those programs a few days ago. Yes, I'm aware that PDs at those schools have "heard" of AUB.

I'll leave it to you to explain what happened in 1985 to cause AUB to no longer be an "American" medical school.

Carry on.

Cool story bro :rolleyes::rolleyes:

To my knowledge harvard and yale did not have government officials from a neighboring country handling a good portion of admissions for 3 decades ; )

Guyss ! american university of Beirut is recognised by program directors all over the USA and it was an american medical school but in 1985 the USA changed their rules to allow only schools inside the USA to be recognised as american schools , however AUB's histroy (more 120 yrs) makes it one of worlds prestigious universities , in addition in 2001 it had been voted to be in the top 20 world's most beautiful campuses .
AUB students are known to be highly competitive , pre-med is really really tough and med school is a really nice experience .
In the region if ppl are taling about cornell , cornell is considered an american school since it is directed by cornell and to get in u must be american .
AUB is pretty well recognised by harvard , yale and others (from my direct experience at Yale)
Good luck all

Hi yale and harvard are an ivy league colleges
aub is considred a very prestigious wordwide however research is limited since NIH funding's for AUB usually has a limit of 100000$ ( compared to hundred or two hundred million dollars for yale or harvad) so academically speaking its very prestigious among in the region ( europe / middle east)

yes
ppl in the past have matched more in harvard then yale
however there is few ppl right now at yale in surgery and internal medicine and psychiatry

unfortunately aub accepts only 1-3 foreign students each year in their class
for a 75 capacity usually 70 aub premeds get in ( among 150 that apply) , 3 pre-meds from balamand or Lau and 2 foreign students .
AUB has a strict quota for ppl coming into medical school from outside aub since pre-med is really expensive ( around 15000$ a year and for lebanese ppl it is considered high fees compared to other universities in Lebanon) so they'd rather take their students for med school .

95 % of aub students go to aub so they can make their way easier to get into the match
in addition , aub is far from being a commercial medical school like many caribeans medical schools , it has strong academic roots , and if ppl are putting high hopes to get in ( talking about foreign) , aub only takes 2-3 foreign students in a class , since they give the priority to aub pre-meds .
and if ppl get in they have to really makes efforts so they compete with aub students who are known to be extemely competitive ( talking about ppl who study 14h.day)

Well, there are plenty of opinions here, I will contribute with some objective facts:

- MD program is 4 years long like American programs.
- 3 to 4 % of MD graduates match directly after Med IV in the states.
- the rest will do what is called a "transition year", during which they work in research or do an internship at AUB for a year. This will give them an edge for when they want to match.
- Case in point, 60% of MD graduates will be able to match in a prestigious program in the states after that transition year. The other 40% (includes those who couldn't match and those who did not want to) will do their residency at AUB, while repeating the matching process every year. Of these 40%, half of them will be able to match.
So all in all, 80% of AUB MD graduates will match in very good programs in the USA.
- AUB medical students score on average in the 99th percentile on their steps.
- AUB medical school curriculum is approved by the education department of the state of New York
- AUB has many accreditations and collaborations with American Medical Schools (examples here: http://www.aubmc.org/users/subpage.asp?id=4)

Source: I am a current medical student at AUB, at the end of my third year, and I was asking the same questions because I'm planning for my steps and internship

Peace.

Hi, I am from Lebanon and studying at LAU

For AUB, it is extremely difficult to get accepted into their medical school if you aren't an AUB student. every year they enroll 85 students from which they only admit 5 students outside AUB
So you will have chances only if your GPA is above 3.8-3.9 and you scored 12-12 on P and B sciences on MCAT

So you will have chances only if your GPA is above 3.8-3.9 and you scored 12-12 on P and B sciences on MCAT

Not necessarily that high but personally I had a Master's with a publication so it might have helped. But I got in with a lower GPA. Although our year had a higher number of internationals accepted.