American Undergrad > Canadian Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Final Testimony

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At the moment I reside in the U.S., and I am an undergrad student at a four-year university on the Medical School track. I've never been to Canada before but I've always wanted to go, and I relish the possibility of moving to Canada and studying abroad at one of Canada's many great Medical Schools. Taking into account the long, obligatory immigration process, what steps would I need to take for the admissions process in Canada (as compared to the same process in America)?

Moreover, would my cost of tuition be equivalent to that of Canadian residents, and if not, how much more do you suppose? I'm interested in saving myself from as much Medical School debt as possible - a real nightmare in the States.

And finally, do you suppose I'd be able to work in the U.S. as a Canadian doctor? Or would I need additional education in the U.S. before being granted a license to practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Canadian medical schools don't generally accept non-Canadian citizens or permanent residents into medical schools.. except perhaps 1 or 2 spots at the university of toronto and maybe also at McGill .. the process is extremely competitve.. I think you might as well move to Texas and become a resident and you won't pay as much or it will be comparable to Canadian tuition

you can try to apply, but its much harder..

Members don't see this ad :)
Canadian med schools are extremely competitive. You are better off going to med school, and if you really want to live in Canada then move after you are completely trained.

At the moment I reside in the U.S., and I am an undergrad student at a four-year university on the Medical School track. I've never been to Canada before but I've always wanted to go, and I relish the possibility of moving to Canada and studying abroad at one of Canada's many great Medical Schools. Taking into account the long, obligatory immigration process, what steps would I need to take for the admissions process in Canada (as compared to the same process in America)?

Moreover, would my cost of tuition be equivalent to that of Canadian residents, and if not, how much more do you suppose? I'm interested in saving myself from as much Medical School debt as possible - a real nightmare in the States.

And finally, do you suppose I'd be able to work in the U.S. as a Canadian doctor? Or would I need additional education in the U.S. before being granted a license to practice?

Well first of all, Canada does not have "many" medical schools (I believe there are only 13 in the whole country). It would be impossible for you to get in, since many Canadians are being rejected with 3.9 GPAs and 32 MCAT scores. I go to SGU and I believe 43% of our student population are Canadian, just to give you an idea of how desperate our situation back home is...

most Canadian medical schools are extremely competitive, this is due to there being so few of them. I can tell you University of Toronto Med requirements, cGPA 4.0 32 MCAT will make you an average applicant. cGPA 3.9 or less you better have 32+ MCAT and have some extremely good volunteer experience. I mean like volunteer aid trips to Africa and 3rd world countries. Then again most applicants have that as well.

As for financials, if you're even considered at the universities; you'd be paying more... the CAD is more than USD now. The cost of schooling is that same, but it'd probably be easier for you to get medical schools grants / scholarships in the states, since you're a resident.

Last edited:
With all due respect....

Canadian Undergrad > American Undergrad by a landslide. Not to mention our med school admission competition blows US med schools out of water. The average admission stats for Harvard, John Hopkins, Yale etc are exactly the same as any single Canadian med school.

I will be attending med school this august in the US simply because I didnt want to waste my time/money on Canadian schools as an Out of province student. I could apply to UBC med as a resident but I went to UBC for undergrad and UBC med is a joke. The students are the most un-rounded bunch of people possible. Thats coming from experience of knowing dozens of people accepted in the last 2 years

Anyway, I would suggest staying in the states. It might be more expensive but A) it will easier to get into a school and B) The students are much more well rounded

I don't understand why you want to spend the time and money doing this.

I have dual citizenship and applied to 14 US med schools and 2 Canadian. I got interviews at 13/14 in the US, 0/2 in Canada. It is extraordinarily difficult to get into Canadian med schools as a full in-province Canadian citizen, let alone any other category of applicant.

If your motivation is to reduce your med school debt, forget it. The time, money and effort you will expend trying to get into med school in Canada will dwarf the debt and repayment hassles.

Some Canadian schools won't even consider taking American students. I believe McGill (in Montreal) still does, but my info is out of date.