American looking into studying in the UK

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amelia_rose

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this on behalf of my hubby, so apologies for any gap in this post. I'm British, living in NYC with my American husband. We married a couple of years ago here in NY. His GPA is 3.88 and he did very well for his Masters degree in psychology.

In short, we want to live closer to my family while he's potentially away studying at times. We'll one day live in the US again but that's down the line, NY or Long Island, most likely.

He is currently working full time. He has a masters in Psychology but recently decided he wants to change to Psychiatry and for that needs to complete medical school.

I have begun looking online at what he needs to do for the UK schools, but admit I'm up against a wall of information and alien terms that are just confusing me. He's been accepted by Queens College at present.

Can anyone recommend UK medical schools and maybe suggest what he will need in order to make this happen? I'm really hoping to live closer to my family to make it more bearable for the next however many years of supporting him.

Anything we should know beforehand or any stories you could share would be great!

Thanks a million

Members don't see this ad.

Queens College? What is that? He needs to first complete the UKCAT. How are his extracurriculars? Has he done some sort of shadowing, volunteering experience? With a 3.88 GPA from undergrad he will be competitive for a grades stand point but he'll probably need a strong UKCAT score. Does he have EU citizenship? Some programs will only take EU citizens especially the GEM programs. The UK is indeed a huge massive wall of information with each uni requiring different tests, different citizenships and often a uni will have multiple programs the GEM 4 year program and the 5 year traditional undergrad program.

Does your husband have the MCAT? If so, best to apply to Edinburgh, if not don't write it, just focus on the UKCAT and apply to UKCAT friendly schools.

No he hasn't done the MCAT yet. As I understand it, in America, you need pre-med, take the MCAT and then apply to medical school? He mentioned that his GPA is from graduate degree, Psychology.

What I do not understand is whether that process is different in the UK. I hear some schools accept you straight out of secondary school in the UK, so he is unsure whether he will need pre-med in the UK.

We are now finding out that if he completes medical school in the UK, it may not carry over if we were to move back to the US. I think that is our greatest dilemma at present.

No he hasn't done the MCAT yet. As I understand it, in America, you need pre-med, take the MCAT and then apply to medical school? He mentioned that his GPA is from graduate degree, Psychology.

What I do not understand is whether that process is different in the UK. I hear some schools accept you straight out of secondary school in the UK, so he is unsure whether he will need pre-med in the UK.

We are now finding out that if he completes medical school in the UK, it may not carry over if we were to move back to the US. I think that is our greatest dilemma at present.

Ok that is very different, what is his GPA from undergrad? Traditionally, medical schools do not look at your masters GPA only your undergrad GPA. He doesn't need pre-med in the UK for sure, and if he does do medical school in the UK he can still do residency in the US he just needs to write the USMLE step 1 and 2 like every other american and then apply to US residencies. Sure he'll be at a disadvantage, but he should be able to match if its not too competitive of a specialty.