American fellowship training

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VC15

MS4
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm a 4th year Canadian med student. I'll also be doing my internal medicine residency and subspecialty training in Canada. Ultimately I think I will be staying here to practice, but I would at least consider a 1 or 2 year fellowship in the US after my subspecialty training. I read on the AMA website that most states consider the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada
(LMCC)to be equivalent to the USMLE (i.e. unless you want to go to particular states such as Michigan, Florida, or Hawaii, you don't need the USMLE), but it would be nice to find people who have personal experience with this. Anyone here know of Canadians who did fellowship training (or medical practice) in the US without the USMLE?

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that US fellowships without USMLEs are possible for Canadian grads - the person in question would always be the attending of some random person passing by though, so no one I could put you in touch with.

My suggestion is to cold-call the fellowship director/coordinator at the places you might be interested in going to and asking if they require USMLEs. I realize it's early on in your career, but I think their responses will be more objective and valid than hearsay. If you don't know who to call, go for the usual big name institutions - no harm aiming high :thumbup: