AMCAS Procedure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobby_chamo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I went to a couple of different colleges, and I'd like to start building my AMCAS portfolio (transcripts, LOR, etc). I just went to the AMBAS site, and saw the Apply thing, and I downloaded the two .PDFs.

Whenever I create my account at AMCAS, do I have to completely fill everything out? Including my essay? Or can I build it slowly, and then ultimately submit it to AMCAS?

Thank you kindly,
Bobby

Members don't see this ad.

You're allowed to start accessing AMCAS in May of your <i>application</i> year (i.e. 2004 for matriculation in 2005). You're allowed to save your work on it as much as you'd like up until the point when you submit it (June 1 at the earliest). After that, though, most of the info on your app is locked and cannot be changed. So, to answer your question, you can do everything incrementally. However, it's a good idea to have worked on your personal statement, etc. before AMCAS goes online for you. It's important to note, though, that LORs are not part of your AMCAS app. Those go along with the secondaries from each school.

Ohh. Ok, I will be applying to 2005 medical schol year. So I can't do anything with AMCAS for 7-8 months.

I did not know that about LOR. So for the people that I am having write LOR, I will have to get them to send them to each school I am applying to?

Members don't see this ad :)
Check if one of the colleges you have attended has a letter service, so they can compile all your letters and send them to each school. That would be the best thing to do, although I believe there are some private companies that can hold and send those letters for you.

Ahh, interesting. I didn't know there was such a thing. Does anyone have a lead on a private service that does such a thing?

There is no private organization that handles letters, to my knowledge at least. This is because many colleges have pre-health advising offices and committees that help you through the process and/or assemble a portfolio of your letters. Find out if your school has such an office. If so, schools typically only require what your school's pre-health office requires in terms of LORs. If not, you'll have to have your writers send a copy to each school from which you receive a secondary.