AMCAS GPA Questions/Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quinticx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I'm really confused on how the AMCAS GPA handles medical drops. I've read on their website that they take both grades for repeated courses and that they include courses that have not been calculated into your college's gpa (like courses that did not count for credit). However, I cannot find anything on how they take into effect medical drops of semesters.

The situation is, I got diagnosed with Pseudo-tumor Cerebri and basically went blind for a semester (I only had ~15-20% of my vision). Because I'm a dependent of a military family member and I am over 18, I had to stay enrolled in 12 credit hours to keep my health insurance. So I failed (I did get some C's thanks to some awesome professors) that semester. Then, the next semester, the same thing. I had to stay enrolled in 12 credit hours to keep my health insurance. Well, then I had 4 shunt surgeries because they kept failing. This was all during the middle of the semester. So, again, I basically failed everything. I put in for a medical drop of the year, and that got approved. So, my college won't take that year into account for my GPA.

My question is, how does AMCAS handle situations like these? If they count the semesters, my cGPA will be a 2.85, which is below almost, if not all, screenings. If they don't, I will have a ~3.5 depending if I want to do some post-bac classes, which gives me a fighting chance. If they do count it, does anyone have any advice on how to go about things?

Members don't see this ad.

So, I'm really confused on how the AMCAS GPA handles medical drops. I've read on their website that they take both grades for repeated courses and that they include courses that have not been calculated into your college's gpa (like courses that did not count for credit). However, I cannot find anything on how they take into effect medical drops of semesters.

The situation is, I got diagnosed with Pseudo-tumor Cerebri and basically went blind for a semester (I only had ~15-20% of my vision). Because I'm a dependent of a military family member and I am over 18, I had to stay enrolled in 12 credit hours to keep my health insurance. So I failed (I did get some C's thanks to some awesome professors) that semester. Then, the next semester, the same thing. I had to stay enrolled in 12 credit hours to keep my health insurance. Well, then I had 4 shunt surgeries because they kept failing. This was all during the middle of the semester. So, again, I basically failed everything. I put in for a medical drop of the year, and that got approved. So, my college won't take that year into account for my GPA.

My question is, how does AMCAS handle situations like these? If they count the semesters, my cGPA will be a 2.85, which is below almost, if not all, screenings. If they don't, I will have a ~3.5 depending if I want to do some post-bac classes, which gives me a fighting chance. If they do count it, does anyone have any advice on how to go about things?
Do those courses appear on your official transcript now? If so, what is the notation for a grade?

In general, if you were allowed a retroactive withdrawal (a different term than the one you used), its like those grades don't exist and they are not included in your AMCAS GPA calculations.

Why don't you contact AMCAS directly to get the correct answer . . .

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it's kinda like I never attended those semesters. Its not on my transcript. What has me freaked out is where it says that "Courses removed from your transcripts or GPA as a result of academic bankruptcy, forgiveness, or similar institutional policies must also be included" on the AMCAS course work page. Because if its not on my transcript, I can't report it really. But if I do, I'm basically out of the running.

Also, I thought about that but figured I would try here first since someone may have had the same issue. I plan on emailing them today.

Yeah that's a tough spot. Based on that description it sounds like you are suppose to report those courses. I am not aware of how many schools actually screen applicants by some sort of computer algorithm, but at least one person has to see all the apps for situations such as this. Again though this is just my speculation. It would be nice to hear from some of the adcoms here @Goro @LizzyM