Am I ready to apply for 2020?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PTAide2DPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have fulfilled all but one--Physics II w/Lab--of my PT prerequisite courses. However, I still have 10 courses needed to fulfill my undergraduate degree and I have a mandatory 400 hour internship once those courses are complete. I haven't taken my GRE, and I've barely scratched the surface for PT observational hours.

I've attached this current years PTCAS for some of my local programs in the assumption that the dates will be relatively the same for the 2019 deadlines.

Do I start packing on the observational hours this summer so I can begin my application? Can I take my GRE after I apply and update them with the scores around Spring 2020? Could my volunteer hours still be competitive if I'm around 50-100 when I apply but I make them aware of my future internship in the Summer of 2020? What should be my main priorities right now?

Would greatly appreciate any advice. Thank you.

P.S. I'm attending an open-house for one of those listed schools in 4 weeks. So I'll have a chance to formally introduce myself and these questions/concerns to their administers and faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• PT school.png
    PT school.png
    141.6 KB · Views: 97
You need to look at the deadlines for programs you are applying to. If you have not completed EVERYTHING on their list of requirements by the deadline, do not apply since they will just toss your application. Many schools will allow you to have 1-2 courses incomplete by the time of application.
GRE must be completed by the deadline. (I took my GRE on the last day of the deadline and submitted nonofficial scores to my school for non-essay part. I emailed them that official score should be up in a couple of weeks, and that school was ok with that. But that school did not really consider essay part of GRE. So if you are somewhere at the borderline, contact the school and see how strict it is.)
Minimum requirements for observation hours must be completed by the deadlines. You may be able to update your hours later. 50-100h are ok as long as they meet minimum requirements of your schools.

Many schools will allow you to have 1-2 courses incomplete by the time of application.
Ok thanks, I understand everything except one part.

Say for example that I apply to a school with a PTCAS deadline on 11/01/2019 and I'm currently enrolled in *5 courses but still have another 4/5 courses to take in SPRING 2020 and my internship in SUMMER 2020. Would most schools be accepting of that? What would happen if they say no? I'd have to wait another year to apply?

*ALL of these courses will be for my undergrad. I WILL have completed all DPT prerequisite courses by then.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Many programs require a bachelor's degree, which you will receive after all your coursework/internship is finished.

2 critical questions:

Does the program allow you to have pending courses, as long as you finish them before matriculation?

When does the program start?

For example:
If the program of your choice starts in the summer 2020, then most likely they will not allow you to apply as you have not finished all your undergrad coursework, thus not having a bachelor's degree by the time you start the DPT program.

I hope this helps!

Ok thanks, I understand everything except one part.

Say for example that I apply to a school with a PTCAS deadline on 11/01/2019 and I'm currently enrolled in *5 courses but still have another 4/5 courses to take in SPRING 2020 and my internship in SUMMER 2020. Would most schools be accepting of that? What would happen if they say no? I'd have to wait another year to apply?

*ALL of these courses will be for my undergrad. I WILL have completed all DPT prerequisite courses by then.
Only the schools you are applying to can answer this question. Contact them. If they say NO, you will be able to apply for the next cycle.