This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YoungScholar

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, new poster here :). I am a college freshman at a low-average state university (~200 ranked), and my major currently has yet to be declared (I'm most likely going to choose Biology or Chemistry as my major). I am currently taking 15 semester hours in the fall of 2017, and am enrolled in one honors class (Bio). Now, I know that I am not a top-of-the line type of applicant like those posting on forums like CollegeConfidential, but I consider my courseload to be one that exemplifies a strong foundation of science and mathematics upon which I can build in the future. Likewise, I have enlisted in multiple pre-medical associations, and I am a part of a group of 50 students in a Pre-Health learning community. Also, this summer I began working with a professor at the medical school associated with my university in research on a treatment for rheumatic arthritis. This particular professor just so happens to be on the admissions committee for the med school.

All in all, what should I do next? I realize that I must demonstrate academic prowess in class, but I am also cognizant of the ECs, clinical work, physician shadowing, etc that must be completed in order to be a well-rounded candidate for medical school(s). What, in your sagacious and informed opinions, is the best recourse for me? Any tips, things to do, things to avoid, habits to accrue or discard, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, new poster here :). I am a college freshman at a low-average state university (~200 ranked), and my major currently has yet to be declared (I'm most likely going to choose Biology or Chemistry as my major). I am currently taking 15 semester hours in the fall of 2017, and am enrolled in one honors class (Bio). Now, I know that I am not a top-of-the line type of applicant like those posting on forums like CollegeConfidential, but I consider my courseload to be one that exemplifies a strong foundation of science and mathematics upon which I can build in the future. Likewise, I have enlisted in multiple pre-medical associations, and I am a part of a group of 50 students in a Pre-Health learning community. Also, this summer I began working with a professor at the medical school associated with my university in research on a treatment for rheumatic arthritis. This particular professor just so happens to be on the admissions committee for the med school.

All in all, what should I do next? I realize that I must demonstrate academic prowess in class, but I am also cognizant of the ECs, clinical work, physician shadowing, etc that must be completed in order to be a well-rounded candidate for medical school(s). What, in your sagacious and informed opinions, is the best recourse for me? Any tips, things to do, things to avoid, habits to accrue or discard, etc?
Read this book:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring
by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627
ISBN-10: 1607140624

Reactions: 1 user
There's really no advice to give. Med school admissions is a numbers game. GPA and MCAT will get you in. The rest, like the EC's and that stuff, you can BS your way through.