Am I on the right track?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futurecardio151

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello docs and future docs, I wanted to get your advice on how I'm doing in terms of if I'm on the right track to becoming a competitive applicant to medical school (allopathic)....

I'm a Hispanic male, 17 years old, from Texas, currently a high school senior and a college junior with a 4.0 GPA. For those of you wondering, I attended an early college high school that sent me to college while concurrently doing normal high school classes. I'm really confident (don't mean to sound conceited) that my grades shouldn't be an issue when applying to medical school, as I've done quite well despite being in high school too... I just worry that my EC's and other factors won't be enough to get me in. As of right now, I've got 101 hours of shadowing a cardiologist under my belt, looking to become a peer leader this coming fall semester, but that's all that is set in stone thus far. I know I'm lacking in research, but I'm planning to become involved with research after I graduate high school because I just don't have any time right now between college and high school. I've also competed about 60 hours volunteering at a hospital but I stopped doing that because a member of an admissions committee told me that volunteering at a hospital isn't considered to be actual health care exposure, but community service... to any adcoms: does anything I just said jump out in a positive or negative way? maybe my age?

So in conclusion, what do you all think I should do to solidify myself as a competitive applicant? What are my strong points? Any glaring weaknesses?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.