Am I good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oxylapka

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My composite percentile is 82%. 96% in chemistry, 87% in math and 74% in bio. I got only 47% on english section (english is my secong language). My science GPA is 3.62. Doy you think I should retake PCAT in october? I don't think I can improve english much and biology is not my strong subject:)
HAving read several posters on this site, I became really worried:) everybody is getting over 80% and talking about taking it one more time.
For fall 2005 my friend was accepted with only 72 % (and 5 years pharm tech experience) to UIC Pharmacy School. Another one got into Iowa with 74%. Only coule of months passed, and now everybody is talking about PCAT over 90% as a normal event. Please, tell me that everything is not so bad:) I really need to hear that:) I dont' want to take PCAT one more time but I desperately want to be accepted:)
Thank you in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Uh? I don't get it. On one hand you asked us whether or not your score is good enough. On the other hand, you mentioned that other people whose scores are much lower than yours got in pharm school, which in a way, kind of implying that you think your score is good enough. So what is it? You think your score is good enough but want us to reassure you that it is BETTER than good enough? Is that right?

Anyway, if I were you, i would just go ahead and apply for the school. Now if you feel "bad" that other people in here got in the 90s and want to prove to yourself you can do it too, then go ahead and take it again. It's your choice but shoot, for 100 bucks, i can tell you how GREAT your score is 10 mil times if you like.... :D

Remember that people that post on these boards are not the average application pool so we probably have a misrepresentation of high scores on here. You did better than 82% of the test takers! If you have a particular school in mind see if you can find out what their average entry stats were for last year, but remember that is an average. Your GPA is good, so you have a little more leway with your PCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
shoppe said:
Uh? I don't get it. On one hand you asked us whether or not your score is good enough. On the other hand, you mentioned that other people whose scores are much lower than yours got in pharm school, which in a way, kind of implying that you think your score is good enough. So what is it? You think your score is good enough but want us to reassure you that it is BETTER than good enough? Is that right?

Anyway, if I were you, i would just go ahead and apply for the school. Now if you feel "bad" that other people in here got in the 90s and want to prove to yourself you can do it too, then go ahead and take it again. It's your choice but shoot, for 100 bucks, i can tell you how GREAT your score is 10 mil times if you like.... :D

Many thanks for quick reply. I become paranoid:) I ask a question and immediately give an answer myself:) Yeah, I want it just to be over as soon as possible. I am worry about any detail, about my score, about GPA, about personal statement, about interview... By the way, i just got one in NOVA in ocober. So I am not a human being any more, but a big pile of worries:)

DownonthePharm said:
Remember that people that post on these boards are not the average application pool so we probably have a misrepresentation of high scores on here. You did better than 82% of the test takers! If you have a particular school in mind see if you can find out what their average entry stats were for last year, but remember that is an average. Your GPA is good, so you have a little more leway with your PCAT score.

Guys, thank you so much not for saying that everything looks ok but for supporting me. Recently I can't talk about anything but pharm schools, so it is not surprising that all my friends are tired of listening:) And then, I have found this site by chance where there are so many people with the same worries:) It is good I am not alone:) thank you one more time!!!

hehe It's okay. I know it's a huge relief to find this website because it's not easy to find people in the same boat as you are. All those pre-med students get all the attention at my school!! IT suxs! I hope they'll all rot in full happiness.... hehe jk

But anyway, i'm not taking PCAT yet and I would be happy if i get score like yours. So when did you take the PCAT? What classes have you finished before you took it? hehe Just asking for reference.

English is my 2nd language too so I don't even know how to prepare for that section. From what I heard, if english is your 2nd language, then they will take that into consideration and give you a little leeway or watnot.

by the way, congratulation...

oxylapka said:
My composite percentile is 82%. 96% in chemistry, 87% in math and 74% in bio. I got only 47% on english section (english is my secong language). My science GPA is 3.62. Doy you think I should retake PCAT in october? I don't think I can improve english much and biology is not my strong subject:)
HAving read several posters on this site, I became really worried:) everybody is getting over 80% and talking about taking it one more time.
For fall 2005 my friend was accepted with only 72 % (and 5 years pharm tech experience) to UIC Pharmacy School. Another one got into Iowa with 74%. Only coule of months passed, and now everybody is talking about PCAT over 90% as a normal event. Please, tell me that everything is not so bad:) I really need to hear that:) I dont' want to take PCAT one more time but I desperately want to be accepted:)
Thank you in advance

I believe you should be ok. BTW, your 47 in English is that the verbal section or reading comp. It appears to me that you are missing one section. There are five major sections and you report only four. Just an observation so that others can make better informed suggestions to you as well. Good luck!

shoppe said:
hehe It's okay. I know it's a huge relief to find this website because it's not easy to find people in the same boat as you are. All those pre-med students get all the attention at my school!! IT suxs! I hope they'll all rot in full happiness.... hehe jk

But anyway, i'm not taking PCAT yet and I would be happy if i get score like yours. So when did you take the PCAT? What classes have you finished before you took it? hehe Just asking for reference.

English is my 2nd language too so I don't even know how to prepare for that section. From what I heard, if english is your 2nd language, then they will take that into consideration and give you a little leeway or watnot.

by the way, congratulation...

Sorry, i couldn't reply earlier. I took PCAT two times. First time, I took it (NOvember 2004) without even taking general biology, so it was logical to expect that I wouldn't do biology section very well:) When I took PCAT for the secong time (June, 2005), I finished all major science classes. Chemistry section was very easy for me, there were many organic questions, general chemistry was basic, no tricky questions. As I have already mentioned bio is not my subject, there were few anatomy questions, but in majority all of them were from general bio (and I had awful bio professor:)). For english part I learned over 600 new words, I am not kidding:)