Am I considered a late applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureMDHopeful

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

So I had a problem sending my transcripts from my old school. They just sent off last week priority so I'm anticipating them being recieved and input by the 15th (Hopefully). This will put me at early to mid August verification. I'm applying both MD and DO and I'm not the strongest canadite. Took MCAT in May, and scored low. So I retook it and get my new score August 1st.
cGPA~3.3
sGPA ~ 3.2 (upward trend. 3.7 this past semester with a 24 hour load).

Will I be too late in the cycle for my stats? Yes I'm a URM, AA male. I know that's not going to get me past those stats though with a late application. The general question is, am I too late?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not late, no. Starting to hit complete in August is plenty early.

I was complete at schools when I applied at the beginning of August (and few first week of September) and got 10 interviews, you won't be late.

Members don't see this ad :)
As long as you're complete by labor day you should be fine. Also, dw about your stats. Although your gpa is at the low end, according to the aamc, about 82% of 181 AA applicants who had a 3.3/31 were accepted. Good luck!

Hey all,

So I had a problem sending my transcripts from my old school. They just sent off last week priority so I'm anticipating them being recieved and input by the 15th (Hopefully). This will put me at early to mid August verification. I'm applying both MD and DO and I'm not the strongest canadite. Took MCAT in May, and scored low. So I retook it and get my new score August 1st.
cGPA~3.3
sGPA ~ 3.2 (upward trend. 3.7 this past semester with a 24 hour load).

Will I be too late in the cycle for my stats? Yes I'm a URM, AA male. I know that's not going to get me past those stats though with a late application. The general question is, am I too late?
Nope!

Never give up,I will suggest if you are denied admission here in US there is always an opportunity at off shore medical schools,I can suggest one and I know personally the Assist Dean of the medical school who can help you get in for the Sep Class.I can also recommend
you for the scholarship there,Its an excellent medical school with all the clinical rotations in US,Please contact me for more details.
,Please ignore him,Its a terrible idea and especially for a competitive applicant such as yourself,and the punctuation is so bad there's extra reason to question it.

Reactions: 1 user
Never give up,I will suggest if you are denied admission here in US there is always an opportunity at off shore medical schools,I can suggest one and I know personally the Assist Dean of the medical school who can help you get in for the Sep Class.I can also recommend
you for the scholarship there,Its an excellent medical school with all the clinical rotations in US,Please contact me for more details.

OP has no need to go offshore. Nice try tho!

Hmmm... a new poster recommending an offshore med school.

I hope the OP disregards that suggestion!

@FutureMDHopeful I wish you good luck this cycle. As an AA male, you will likely be particularly wanted by some schools. I've heard that some SOMs have no AA males in certain cohort years, and that's an undesirable situation.

I hope your new MCAT score is better.

I love how the salesperson said "never give up" and then goes on to suggest an offshore school. :laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 1 user